Carnal

By MaybeManhattan

COMPLETED - Like every average person, Ella Schulz had no idea there were such things as Lycanthropes and Vam... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One - Mourning the Missing
Chapter Two - Deal with the Devil
Chapter Three - Aren't We All
Chapter Four - Who Are You?
Chapter Five - Hearts Beat Faster
Chapter Six - Doctor's Note
Chapter Seven - They Come in The Night
Chapter Eight - Breathless Wonder
Chapter Nine - Whiplash
Chapter Ten - Conspiracy Theory
Chapter Eleven - Maids Know Everything
Chapter Twelve - Forbidden Answers
Chapter Thirteen - Demonic Decay
Chapter Fourteen - Delayed Search
Chapter Fifteen - Only One Way to Find Out
Chapter Sixteen - Prove Him Wrong
Chapter Seventeen - Trustworthy
Chapter Eighteen - What Have I Done?
Chapter Nineteen - Nothing Good
Chapter Twenty - Bad Veins and Lipstick Stains
Chapter Twenty-One - Honor The Dead
Chapter Twenty-Two - Living a Lie
Chapter Twenty-Three - Deadly Desire
Chapter Twenty-Four - Consiousness
Chapter Twenty-Five - Breakdown
Chapter Twenty-Six - Fast Car
Chapter Twenty-Seven - All Roads Lead Home
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Meet The Neighbors
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Hold on Tight
Chapter Thirty - Meticulous
Chapter Thirty-One - Exposed
Chapter Thirty-Two - Part of The Plan
Chapter Thirty-Three - Birthright
Chapter Thirty-Four - Stand Corrected
Chapter Thirty-Five - Dead Men Tell No Tales
Chapter Thirty-Six - Early Bird Gets The Worm
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Invasive Inquiries
Chapter Thirty-Eight - The One Behind It
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Cutting it Close
Chapter Forty - Fatal Allegiance
Chapter Forty-One - The Cure
Chapter Forty-Two - If It's Meant to Be...
Chapter Forty-Three - The Taste of Skin and Blood
Chapter Forty-Four - Don't Look Behind You
Chapter Forty-Five - Smothered Embers
Chapter Forty-Six - Crash Landing
Final Author's Note

Epilogue

81K 4.9K 2.6K
By MaybeManhattan

A/N: if you really want to sob while reading this, listen to Hold Me While You Wait by Lewis Capaldi while you read :)

- - -

Four Months Later...

"Mom, I'm home!"

Pulling my purse from my shoulder, I slung it into the barstool. I tossed my keys into the bag and walked over to the refrigerator.

"How did the interview go?" I heard her ask, her voice echoing out from the laundry room.

"I think it went well, but we'll see."

I pulled out the lemonade and poured a glass before sitting down on the countertop.

My first real-world job interview since graduating from college nearly a week ago hadn't gone nearly as bad as I expected it to. They didn't seem distracted by the fact that I'd been fired from my counseling internship when I never showed up after taking a week off for my grandfather's funeral.

They were also interested in hiring me despite the fact that I had only been allowed to graduate after drawing up a contract with my university promising that I would make up the classes that I had withdrawn from while in Germany.

While I had retaken most of them during the spring semester, I still had two left to complete over the summer.

The company would allow me to work part-time until I had completed my remaining classes and obtained my licensure to become a practicing behavioral therapist. Then, I would join their team and start working with my own clients.

"When do you expect to hear back from them?" my mom asked, emerging from the laundry room holding a stack of folded towels that was as tall as she was.

"She said it would be some time in the next week."

She placed the towels on the countertop next to me and reached over to grab my hand.

"I know it's been a rough few months for you," she said, smiling. "But, I'm glad to see that you haven't let it set you back."

I faked a smile as she leaned in for a hug.

If only she knew...

Of course, my parents didn't know everything; in fact, they hardly knew anything. I had told them an elaborate, fabricated version of the truth: that I hadn't gone home after the funeral and instead had taken the time to travel Europe and western Asia.

With the deep depression that I fell into after returning home, my parents could hardly ask any questions without drawing tears to my eyes. So, despite knowing that I was lying about what had really happened, they stopped asking questions.

When I came home to find that my landlord had kicked me out for not paying rent for three months, my parents welcomed me back in with open arms.

I couldn't have been more grateful to be back in their company, but it made me long for my independence again.

I hated seeing the pictures of Zak and I growing up that hung on the walls. Every time I turned a corner, I was reminded of him.

My parents had no clue. I couldn't bring myself to tell them.

As far as they could guess, he was on a secret government assignment for the military and couldn't be reached.

That was how I would leave it until the day came that I found it within myself to finally tell them the truth... all of the truth.

My mom pulled away from the hug and sighed.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, "I nearly forgot. There is something for you on the dining room table. It was delivered this afternoon while you were gone."

I placed my glass down on the countertop and stood up.

"Who's it from?" I asked, expecting another graduation gift from a distant relative.

"I'm not sure."

She picked up the towels and headed off to the bathroom to put them away.

I walked into the dining room to see a vase of white lilies, hydrangeas, purple daisies and lavender, making for a beautiful bouquet of purple and white flowers.

They sat next to a small cardboard box.

I walked over to it, staring at the flowers in both confusion and admiration.

Seeing that no return address was on the box, nor was there any note with the flowers, I was further confused.

I went back into the kitchen to grab a knife and returned to the dining room where I proceeded to cut the tape from the package.

I opened the box to see a variety of German snacks, including riesens, milch-schnittes and hanutas, which were my favorites. Upon further inspection, I saw an envelope tucked into the side of the box.

Tearing it open, I pulled out a folded piece of paper. When I opened it, two pictures fell out and landed face-down on the floor. I bent down to pick one of them up and flipped it over to see three beautiful faces.

Daniel, the one holding the camera, had his eyes crossed and wore a goofy grin on his face. His cheek was pressed against Jai's, who was smirking as if he hadn't intended to smile for the picture but cracked at the last moment. I could easily imagine that Daniel had said something funny that made him smile. Priya was leaning into the picture on the other side of Jai, flashing dazzling white teeth with a photogenic smile.

I laughed at the picture and looked at the note in my hands to read what was written.

It's a good thing Priya's cyber-smart-ass stalks your mom on Facebook or we wouldn't have found out that you graduated from college. Very offended and hurt that you didn't share that information (despite the fact that we would have found out anyway). Lucky for you, we're great friends and decided not to hold it against you... Hope you enjoy the little pieces of us and Germany that we've sent. Notice that it's all sweets! Remember, Ella: the more you weigh, the harder you are to kidnap. So, stay safe and eat the chocolate!

I laughed out loud as I read the last part, having heard every word in Daniel's voice.

Beneath his note was more writing in a different color ink and beautiful script handwriting:

Miss you dearly, Ella! I found your grandfather's book while I was in the office last week, so I've included it in Daniel's box of junk food. I knew you would probably want to have it back. I'd love to hear from you, feel free to respond to this letter using the address below. We can be pen pals! Love, Priya

I looked in the bottom of the box to see that something had been wrapped in a white cloth. I put down the letter to pull the cloth from the bottom of the box. Noticing it was a pillow sheet, I looked inside to see that my grandfather's book was concealed within it.

I pulled it out to read the familiar title: The Occult Truth of Lycanthropy.

I gulped as I put the book down to return to reading the note.

In black ink and handwriting that consisted of entirely uppercase letters, there were only a few sentences written.

Hope you're doing well, Ella. I'm very proud that you finished college. I wish you all the best as you move on in the world. I'm sure it hasn't been easy. You were always strong and I know you'll be just fine. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to call Daniel or I. Our phone numbers are on the back of this letter.

Jai's short and to-the-point note was an accurate imitation of his personality. I had no trouble deciphering it was him, despite the note not being signed.

I looked at the bottom of the note to see that Daniel had written more.

P.S. I'll tell you because I know Cain won't: he called the school to pay off your student loans when I told him that you graduated.

I felt my jaw go slack.

P.P.S. This package was timed to arrive at the same time we told your local florist to deliver flowers. If the timing was off, it was Jai's fault because he was the one who timed it. If the timing was perfect, allow me to say you're welcome because it was my idea. Love you! Dan

"Oh my God," I whispered, slumping into the dining room chair next to me.

"Who was it from?" my mom asked from the doorway.

"Friends," I smiled, looking at the picture.

"Friends from school? Or friends you met on your little adventure?" she asked.

My little adventure.

That's what my parents called it.

Just as I was about to answer, I noticed the other picture laying on the ground, face-down.

I bent down to pick it up, flipping it over.

I felt my heart lurch.

Clearly Daniel had caught Cain off-guard when he took the picture. It looked as if he had snuck up behind him and told him to turn around, only for Cain to be met with the flash of the camera.

He stared into the camera with his ever-present serious expression and I felt as if he were looking directly at me.

Tracing a finger over the photograph, I was pulled out of my trance by my mother's voice.

"You okay?"

I looked up at her with eyes filled to the brim with tears.

"I have to go."

- - -

Armed with nothing but a bag filled with cash, a toothbrush, my phone and its charger, Daniel's letter, Cain's picture and my passport, I landed in Germany looking like a madwoman.

It was only an hour's train ride to the station where I needed to be. As soon as I saw the sleek, silver train pull into the station, I showed the conductor the address at the bottom of the letter.

He looked at me suspiciously before nodding.

I hopped on the train and sat alone in the same car I'd ridden in nearly seven months prior.

When the train finally stopped, I opened the curtain next to me to see the familiar, ornately-decorated station.

I hopped out of my seat and ran out of the car.

Walking out, I saw the conductor arguing with a burly man who stood on the concrete platform.

"We have no scheduled arrivals tonight," he said. "You can't be here."

He looked up and saw me and I waved before jumping over the railing to land on the platform.

"Hey! Wait!"

I ran as hard as could up the stairs, out of the terminal and into the hallway.

"What's going on?" I heard a familiar voice ask.

Daniel rounded the corner with a group of men behind him, his eyes widening as he saw me.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"Ella?! What the hell are you doing here?"

"Where is he?"

"He's in the tower," he sputtered out, still shocked.

I ran past him and found the first of many staircases up to the main level.

Taking two steps at a time, I finally made it to the bottom of the tower staircase.

I pulled open the door before I could even stop to catch my breath.

Clambering up the staircase, my heart was in my throat as I finally reached the top.

The room was empty.

Eyebrows furrowed, I let out an exasperated breath.

"Where is-"

"Ella?"

I turned to see Cain standing at the top of the staircase that I had just climbed.

Immediately and without warning, I jumped into his arms.

Cain sunk to his knees as he embraced me. One hand pressing my head against his shoulder, the other arm wrapped around my torso, holding me tighter than he ever had before.

I grabbed him by the back of his neck with both hands and pulled him into a succession of breathless kisses, some landing perfectly on his lips, others beside his mouth and some on his cheeks.

"I missed you so much," I said, realizing then that my cheeks were wet with tears.

He pulled away with both hands on either side of my face, staring at me in awe and shock.

"What are you doing here?"

"You told me in Casablanca that you loved me," I said, still trying to catch my breath. "You never gave me the chance to say it back. But, I'm saying it now... I love you so much, Cain. I have been absolutely miserable for the past few months and I don't care what anyone else thinks but I am never going back to Florida, not without you. You will never send me away again. I will stay right here and there is nothing that you can say to stop me because I love you so much-"

Cain cut my rambling off with a kiss, this one was deep and intentional, unlike my haphazard and sporadic kisses before. It made the world around me stop spinning for a split second.

"I meant what I said in Casablanca," he said, pulling away. "I do love you with every ounce and inch of my being, both the good and the bad."

"Good," I breathed out. "Because I never wanted a mate, Cain. I only ever wanted you."

"Then stay," he said, leaning his forehead against mine. "And you can have every piece of me."

Before he leaned in again, I pulled back.

"There's something else I have to tell you," I whispered.

Cain's eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm really glad this is going to work out," I said, placing his hand over my stomach. "Because we're going to be parents soon."

I didn't think it was possible for Cain to look any more surprised than he was. Jaw slack and mouth gaping slightly, he looked down at my stomach where his hand rested.

"I didn't think it was possible," he said.

"Well, even more impossible would be me making a baby by myself."

Cain looked back up at me and gulped.

"Ella, you're pregnant," he said, as though he couldn't believe it.

"Yes."

"With my baby..."

I nodded.

"And you just sprinted up seven fucking flights of stars? We have an elevator, Ella. Jesus Christ..."

I laughed as he shook his head, still in disbelief, and pulled me in for another hug.

I looked over his shoulder to see Jai, Daniel and Priya all standing on the staircase.

As if it had physically pained him to restrain himself, Daniel let out a shout and began to fist-pump the air.

"Hell yes!" he screamed, landing a kiss on Jai's cheek.

Jai's face immediately scrunched in disgust as he pushed Daniel away, who didn't seem to mind.

"Oh God," Daniel sighed, smiling contently. "I love a happy ending."

Cain pulled away and smiled, looking at me with so much admiration that I began to blush.

"Is that what this is?" he asked. "A happy ending?"

I smiled and nodded.

"It's certainly the beginning of one."

- - -

A/N: I cried. SO. MANY. TIMES. writing this chapter. Like, so many times. Jesus, I need a box of tissues after that one.

Final author's note is on the next page so keep scrolling :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.6K 561 10
Witches. Most were eradicated during The Big Cleansing years ago. Those alive now hide amongst the monsters of the world: vampires, werewolves, and t...
461K 13.3K 56
Every pack needs its Alpha and Luna to feel complete, but what if one stubborn Alpha decides he doesn't need a Luna? He is determined never to go out...
45.5K 2K 84
As Lycan's were hunted and killed off a thousand years ago, now humans, and werewolves shall learn what a true Lycan is. All things made a new, now i...
879K 32.6K 53
♔︎𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐲𝐚𝐥 𝐀𝐥𝐩𝐡𝐚 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠 & 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐞♔︎ ❝𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚔𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚜𝚘 𝚋𝚊𝚍? 𝚃𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚌𝚕𝚘�...