Carnal

By MaybeManhattan

COMPLETED - Like every average person, Ella Schulz had no idea there were such things as Lycanthropes and Vam... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One - Mourning the Missing
Chapter Two - Deal with the Devil
Chapter Three - Aren't We All
Chapter Four - Who Are You?
Chapter Five - Hearts Beat Faster
Chapter Six - Doctor's Note
Chapter Seven - They Come in The Night
Chapter Eight - Breathless Wonder
Chapter Nine - Whiplash
Chapter Ten - Conspiracy Theory
Chapter Eleven - Maids Know Everything
Chapter Twelve - Forbidden Answers
Chapter Thirteen - Demonic Decay
Chapter Fourteen - Delayed Search
Chapter Fifteen - Only One Way to Find Out
Chapter Sixteen - Prove Him Wrong
Chapter Seventeen - Trustworthy
Chapter Eighteen - What Have I Done?
Chapter Nineteen - Nothing Good
Chapter Twenty - Bad Veins and Lipstick Stains
Chapter Twenty-One - Honor The Dead
Chapter Twenty-Two - Living a Lie
Chapter Twenty-Three - Deadly Desire
Chapter Twenty-Four - Consiousness
Chapter Twenty-Five - Breakdown
Chapter Twenty-Six - Fast Car
Chapter Twenty-Seven - All Roads Lead Home
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Meet The Neighbors
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Hold on Tight
Chapter Thirty - Meticulous
Chapter Thirty-One - Exposed
Chapter Thirty-Two - Part of The Plan
Chapter Thirty-Three - Birthright
Chapter Thirty-Four - Stand Corrected
Chapter Thirty-Five - Dead Men Tell No Tales
Chapter Thirty-Six - Early Bird Gets The Worm
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Invasive Inquiries
Chapter Thirty-Eight - The One Behind It
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Cutting it Close
Chapter Forty - Fatal Allegiance
Chapter Forty-One - The Cure
Chapter Forty-Two - If It's Meant to Be...
Chapter Forty-Three - The Taste of Skin and Blood
Chapter Forty-Four - Don't Look Behind You
Chapter Forty-Five - Smothered Embers
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter Forty-Six - Crash Landing

64.2K 3.7K 725
By MaybeManhattan

When I stepped out of the shower into the steam-filled bathroom, I felt somewhat relieved that I was able to wash that day from my body.

I only wished I was able to wash it from my mind.

Wrapping myself in a robe, I opened the bathroom door and walked out into my hotel room.

My window overlooked the Sri Lankan nightlife, allowing the lights of the city to pour in and cast an eerie glow over the room.

I looked around the lonely room with a grave expression and turned to walk towards the door.

Before I could register what it was that I was doing, I was standing in the hallway outside another room's door.

I knocked before I could allow myself the chance to second guess my actions.

It opened a few moments later and I was met by a familiar pair of lavender eyes.

"Can I come in?"

Wordlessly, he stepped to the side and allowed space for me to slide by him into his room.

I sat down on his bed as he leaned back against the wall in front of me. I noticed then that he must have also just gotten out of the shower. He was only covered by a towel that hung low on his torso.

The last time I had been alone with Cain, he told me he loved me.

Now, neither of us knew what to say.

"What now?" I asked finally.

"Jai talked to your parents," he said. "I've booked you a flight home that leaves in the morning."

I nodded slowly.

Somehow, the idea of home didn't repulse me.

I needed to see my parents, I'm sure they had been worried. 

Before I could say another word, Cain stopped me.

"Listen, it's probably not a good idea for you to be in here," he said. "I think it's best that you go back to your room. I'm sure you're tired."

"I'm not," I said softly. "I slept earlier today."

"Slept? So, Jacob gave you the cure also?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Well, that's good," he said. "I'm sure it will make returning to a normal life much easier."

I nodded again.

"Probably."

A few moments of silence went by before Cain spoke.

"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about you and him."

I found myself giving him a weak smile.

"It's okay. If I'm being honest, I wish I'd never found out."

I saw his jaw clench. 

"Well," he said pushing himself away from the wall and towards the bathroom. "I'm sure knowing about him complicates things indefinitely."

"It doesn't," I said, stopping him.

Cain turned back around to me.

"What?"

"I said that it doesn't complicate anything," I reiterated, standing to my feet.

"Ella, stop," he said, watching me warily as I walked towards him. "Don't do this to me or you. You're going home tomorrow. Don't make your goodbye any harder than it has to be."

"If I'm not returning to reality until tomorrow, then I have no reservations about indulging myself tonight."

I walked over to where he stood and lifted myself up on the tips of my toes to softly kiss his lips.

When I pulled away, Cain let out a shallow breath.

"Ella, don't do this," he pleaded.

I reached around and untied my robe, letting it fall to the floor.

"Too late."

And that was all it took.

I was immediately lifted into his arms, his lips pressed against mine in a kiss that felt so desperate and needy that it made my stomach lurch.

I heard the squeak of the mattress springs as Cain laid me down on his bed. Hovering over me, Cain reached down and threw his towel off to the side.

He planted wet kisses along my jaw and neck before moving down to my collarbone and chest.

"God, you're covered in his scent," he growled against my skin.

"Do something about it then."

He looked up at me with a glint in his eyes that made me wish I hadn't said that.

"I plan on it."

Cain took hold of my hips and pushed me farther up the bed. He reached up around me, grabbed a pillow and stuffed it under my lower back.

I realized what he was doing as he slung both of my legs over his shoulders and crouched down so I could feel his breath against my inner thighs. 

I let out a small whimper as his tongue begin to trace circles on my inner thighs, getting closer and closer to where I wanted him to be.

It wasn't until I saw stars dancing on the ceiling above me that Cain finally pulled away and came to hover over me once more.

He smirked as he noticed me trying to catch my breath.

"Tired already?" he asked.

"No," I said, panting. "I'm actually just waiting for the good stuff to start."

He rolled his eyes as he positioned his hips in alignment with mine. 

"Fine, then. Have it your way."

There was nothing gentle or soft about what happened next.

And, God, did it make me wish the night would never end.

- - -

I woke up the next morning to the sound of a phone ringing.

Pulling the sheets over my head, I prayed the ringing would go away so I could go back to sleep.

When it didn't, I huffed and reached over to grab the phone from the nightstand.

"What?"

"Well, good morning, Sunshine," I heard Daniel say. "I would say that I hope you slept well, but I know you haven't been sleeping much considering that the two of you kept me up all night."

"What do you want, Daniel?" I asked, my grumpiness evident in my voice.

"I called to tell you that Priya is on her way up with a change of clothes for you. Your car is here to take you to the airport." 

And just like that, I was grumpy for a different reason.

"Fine," I said before hanging up.

I sat up in the bed and realized that I was alone. 

Cain was gone and, quite frankly, I wasn't surprised by it.

A knock sounded at the door and I got out of the bed to answer it, picking up my robe from the floor as I did so.

Just as Daniel had said, Priya was standing there with folded clothes in one hand and coffee in a to-go cup in the other.

"You look like someone who didn't sleep very much," she said.

"For all the right reasons," I commented, taking the coffee.

"How is Anvi?" I asked, remembering that Priya had been with her in Mumbai. "When did you get back?"

"She's fine," Priya said, handing me the clothes. "Her mother came and got her last night once we had vetted her. I left to meet you guys here as soon as I could. Daniel told me everything when I arrived this morning."

I sighed.

"Glad to hear she's okay."

"Glad to hear you're okay," Priya said, offering a smile.

"I will be eventually."

Priya waited in the room while I went into the bathroom the change. I could see her looking around the room with raised eyebrows as I came out of the bathroom. 

"Ready to go?" I asked.

She nodded and led me out into the hallway.

I finished the coffee in the elevator on the way down, immediately wishing I had another cup.

When we walked into the lobby, I noticed Daniel and Jai standing by the door.

"Ella, I'm sorry," Daniel said. "We tried to get him to stay."

My heart fell in my chest as I realized what he meant.

"It's okay," I said, shaking my head.

"It's not," Jai said firmly. "He should be here to say goodbye."

"Well, at least you guys are," I said.

Jai gave me a grim smile as he leaned in to give me a hug.

"I'm glad you convinced Cain to let you come along for this journey when we were in that cabin in Germany," he said. "I've enjoyed getting to know you."

"Likewise," I replied.

"Hey, c'mon," Daniel said, pushing Jai out of the way. "This isn't goodbye. I will for sure let you know the next time we are in Florida and we will all get together and go to the beach or something."

"Please do," I told him as he leaned in to hug me.

When he pulled away, Priya gave me a hug as well.

"See you soon," she said.

I nodded and smiled as Jai led me out of the hotel to the curb where a car was waiting.

"This is your ride," he said. "It'll take you all the way to the airport and then the plane will take you to straight to Jacksonville."

"Thank you for everything," I said, leaning in for another hug.

"Of course. And I know you have Daniel's number if you ever need anything or want to talk."

I nodded and he leaned forward to open the car door for me.

"Bye," I said, giving him a wave.

"Goodbye, Ella."

When he closed the door, I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

The car drove away from the hotel and left my heart standing on the curb with Jai.

I held back my tears the best I could for the few minutes that we drove to the terminal. As soon as we were there, I thanked the driver and got out to walk over to the jet that was waiting on the tarmac.

As I boarded, I was greeted by a woman that smiled at me.

"If you'll take a seat, the pilot will have us in the air in no time."

I nodded before taking a seat in the small cabin.

The poor woman tried to entertain me with the offer of a snack or breakfast but I turned her down politely until she finally took the hint and wandered off elsewhere.

It wasn't long after she closed the door that the engines roared to life. Soon after, the plane was rolling along the tarmac, slowly gaining speed.

When we finally lifted off the ground and into the air, I lost it.

Tears flowed freely as the altitude rose several thousand feet.

I cried, because, for the first time in weeks, I was truly lonely.

Zak was gone, my grandfather was gone.

Daniel, Jai and Priya weren't there. 

Cain had left.

It was just me, and I was crash landing back into a reality that I didn't want anymore.

- - -

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.4K 615 10
Witches. Most were eradicated during The Big Cleansing years ago. Those alive now hide amongst the monsters of the world: vampires, werewolves, and t...
1.8M 90.1K 31
[Completed] Every Wolf Moon, humans are selected from each village to be sacrificed to the werewolves; creatures worshipped by humans as godlike figu...
321K 13K 50
After becoming truly omnipotent he lost what was supposed to be his everything. His chosen. His beloved. Call it what you will, he lost a part of his...
6.3M 198K 44
|| In his eyes, she glowed. Her pale skin was like a canvas, just waiting for him to paint it with his dark colors. She was his moon and his hope. ||...