Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 9 House of cards

1.4K 94 12
By the_hooded_girl

“Have you heard the announcement?” Eunice cast Ethan a sad look, “poor Vara.”

Ethan shook his head and closed the door to the barn. “We knew this would happen. And I suppose an alliance with Tireze would be beneficial. With their support we may finally end this war.” He took his fiancée’s hand. “Have you told her about us yet?”

“How could I?”  Eunice sighed, “it’s not like I have access to the palace. And how can I tell her now? The man she loves is about to marry someone else.”

“For the good of the kingdom,” Ethan pointed out.

“That is such a man’s answer,” Eunice said angrily, “can you not be more considerate?”

“Then what would you have me do?” Ethan asked, “I can hardly tell the king how to rule his kingdom.”

“I know,” Eunice sighed in defeat, “I just wish there was something I could do.“ She picked up a bucket and walked towards the well. Carefully she lowered it and hauled up some water.

Ethan gently took her arm and kissed her cheek. “Vara will be just fine. She is strong. I am going to the blacksmith’s I will not be long. Don’t worry so much, my love. And how could you think for even a second that she would not wish us happiness?”

Eunice looked down. “Of course she would be happy for us. I just don’t want to hurt her feelings.”

”It will be fine,” Ethan assured her, “I must go now. I will see you later.” He caressed her cheek and went on his way.

“There you are,” Antonia said when her daughter entered the house. She turned and picked up a basket with clothes she had finished weaving. “I need you to bring these to Celia. I finished the cloak for her youngest and the blankets she requested.”

Eunice emptied the bucket in the kettle that was over the fire in the hearth. “I will take it mother. Let me heat up the water first.”

Antonia motioned with her hand in a dismissive gesture. “The water will heat itself, child. Go now before the night sets in.” She sunk down in a chair with a pained expression on her face. She tried to hide it from her daughter, but to no avail.

“Mother?” Eunice asked concerned, “what is the matter? Are you not well?”

Her mother waved her away. “It’s nothing child. I just need to sit for a moment. Go already.”

“Yes mama.” Eunice took the basket and walked to the door. She hesitated, her hand on the handle. “Ethan’s family has invited us for dinner. Will you be able to attend? If you are not well…”

“Do not worry, Eunice,” Antonia said. She mustered a smile. “Your old mother will be just fine. I have overexerted myself. That’s all.”

Eunice bit her lip. “If you are certain.”

Her mother nodded and waved her out the door. As soon as it had closed behind her daughter, Antonia let out a deep groan. She could feel the sickness in her bones. She had felt it for a while. It would not be much longer. Her only console was the knowledge that at least her daughter would be cared for.

Ethan was a good man.

Antonia sighed and closed her eyes. She would sleep for a moment. Just long enough to rest her weary body. Only a minute.

It would be enough.

***

There hadn’t been a chance yet to gain an audience with the king. There had been meetings and official dinners all week. He couldn’t spare a minute for her.

Vara sighed. She couldn’t avoid Cyrus forever.

“Are you hiding from me, Vara?”

She jumped at the sound of his voice. “You almost gave me heart attack.”

“If that’s what it takes to get you to speak to me,” Cyrus moved closer.

Vara took a step back and felt the wall press against her back. “Shouldn’t you be with your wife?”

Cyrus took another step. If he reached out he would be able to touch her. “She’s not my wife yet,” he commented.

“But she will be,” Vara said evenly. Her dark eyes held a sad expression.

Cyrus reached out his hand and cupped her cheek. “Are you jealous?” he teased her. He leaned forward. His breath tickled her cheek.

She placed her hand over his and pulled it away from her face.”Where is the rest of your entourage?” she asked.

“They have retreated to their chambers to get ready for tonight’s entertainment.”

“Of course,” Vara nodded. She had forgotten she had promised the lady Ariane to help with her performance. She wished she hadn’t committed herself to aid the woman. “Then I should do the same.”

A hint of a smirk played on Cyrus’ lips. “So you will actually be attending this evening? I was worried I had to excuse you again.”

“I will be there,” Vara promised.

“Then you can share a couch with me,” Cyrus insisted.

“You should share a couch with your wife,” Vara said quietly. She was tired of playing this game.

Cyrus shook his head. “No one will think anything of it, Vara. To them you are merely my sister.”

Vara remained silent at his comment. Anything she said now would only encourage him.

“Vara…”

“I have to get ready,” she hastily said and she brushed by him to her chambers. She would need to speak with the king as soon as possible.

***

Ariane rubbed he palms against her dress. Why had she insisted on performing tonight? She had never been good with speaking in public. Her brother was the one that did the talking. It was his right and his duty. Even Torcan was better at it than her and she was a noble man’s younger son.

Ariane bit her lip. She was going to make a fool of herself.  She should just withdraw before it was too late.

She took a deep breath. No. There was no going back. Her father was counting on her. This was the only thing she was able to do for the kingdom; wed herself to the prince of the house Aurelios and win his favor. She couldn’t give up now.

The servant girl entered the room again. What was her name? Cloway?

It had been Vara who had appointed the girl to her since she did not have a personal maid. She had never had a personal maid. She had servants, but none especially for her alone.

It was nice to have someone tend to her.

She turned to Chloe. “Come,” she ordered, “do my hair.”

Chloe curtsied and took the brush and worked through lady Ariane’s honey colored locks. The Tireze princess was very different from the lady Vara. The only time she spoke to any of the servants was to give them orders and even then her voice sounded detached.

Nothing like the lady Vara, who was always kind and busy.

But Chloe knew she had to be nice to the lady Ariane. She would marry the prince after all. So she tried light conversation. “You have such beautiful hair, my lady.”

Ariane only glanced at her in the mirror, but offered no comment.

Chloe gritted her teeth and finished her task without further words. If Ariane wanted to act all high and mighty, who was she to gainsay it? The lady had the right. Soon enough all the noble daughters of the realm would be vying for her attention, trying to become her friend.

“I will get your gown,” Chloe said stiffly.

Ariane sighed. Her long hair hung down again. Beautiful, Chloe had said. She found herself rather plain.

When Chloe came back, she turned to the servant girl. “Put up my hair,” she said, “like lady Vara wore it yesterday.”

“Yes, my lady,” Chloe answered submissively. The girl placed the gown on the bed and took the brush again and a few hairpins. Quietly she went to work.

Ariane admired the result in the mirror. Chloe was very adept, but what had looked beautiful on Vara, made her look like a little girl that had found her mother’s beauty case. She sighed. It would have to do. There wasn’t time to think of something else. She didn’t want to be late. Her brother would scold her afterwards.

She waved Chloe away and stood up. Tonight she needed to make an impression.

***

There were already a lot of people in the great hall. Ariane glanced around nervously. She had hoped for something more intimate. Perhaps only the royal family. She had forgotten about the official part. The lords and ladies were still at court. Most of the young women had returned home, but a few were still in attendance.

Ariane looked around and spotted her brother in a corner of the room. He was sharing a couch with Torcan and was in conversation with the king who sat across from him.

Ariane took a deep breath and made her way over.

Torcan was the first to notice her and he smiled. “Come sit, Ari.”

Her brother looked up briefly, but then continued his conversation with the king.

The king inclined his head towards her and turned to the left where Iolaus was seated. “Go find him,” he said, “and bring him here.”

Iolaus nodded and hurried out of the room in pursuit of Cyrus.

Carefully, Ariane sat down on the edge of a vacant recliner. She wasn’t sure what was expected of her. She dared a glance around the hall. People were softly conversing, the young women that had remained at court were gathered in a small group. Every now and then they cast glances in her direction.

Or perhaps they fancied her brother.

Ariane bit her lip and averted her eyes. In a corner of the room, a group of musicians was playing soft melodies. Tonight, she too would perform.

Why had she suggested that again?

Torcan leaned over to her. “Don’t look so nervous, Ari. Your betrothed will be here soon.”

She cast him a careful smile. He meant well. Even if he misinterpreted her distress. He had always been kind to her.

“His Royal Highness Prince Cyrus Aurelios and his sister, lady Vara!”

All eyes moved towards the door.

Cyrus had appeared in the doorway in a deep red and gold tunic. He looked every bit a prince. On his arm was Vara, also in red. The sandals on her feet had gold accents. Tonight, she wore her hair in a simple braid, but no one would take her for a peasant girl.

Iolaus stood quietly three paces behind them.

When they entered the room, all those in attendance stood up and bowed as they passed.
Neither Cyrus nor Vara looked at them. They headed straight for the king’s table.

Darius nudged his sister and Ariane hurriedly stood up and made a deep curtsy. “My lord prince.”

“Father,” Cyrus bowed to king Marcos. He inclined his head towards Darius. “Prince Darius.”

Darius inclined his head.

Cyrus turned to Ariane. “My lady.”

Vara too made a deep curtsy. Her fingers rested lightly on Cyrus’ arm. She had hoped to make a quiet entrance later on the evening, but after getting changed, Cyrus had come to her chambers to escort her himself.

She couldn’t refuse him

It had been a relief when Iolaus had found them halfway in his search for Cyrus.

Vara child,” king Marcos smiled at her, “come greet me. I am happy you have decided to join us tonight. Has your headache gone?”

“Yes, my lord, thank you.” Vara leaned over to him to kiss his cheek. She sat down on an empty couch and quickly pulled Iolaus down next to her so Cyrus was forced to sit next to his fiancée.

Cyrus gave her an amused look, but he could not comment on it with all the guests present.

All around the hall, conversation had resumed and Cyrus leaned forward towards the platter of food. He held it out to Ariane. “Would you care to try a date, my lady? They are my sister’s favorite.”

A deep blush spread across Ariane’s face and she looked down shyly. She didn’t notice the stiff set of Vara’s jaw at Cyrus’ comment. It had been meant as a jab at her.

From the corner of her eye, she saw Darius glance at her. There was a puzzled expression on his face. Had he heard the tone in Cyrus’ voice or did he see her reaction to it? She decided to ignore it for now. She had to make sure Cyrus gave his attention to his fiancée.

“Music!” she heard king Marcos order.

Vara turned to Iolaus and smiled. “Is Ophi coming to the wedding?”

Iolaus returned her smile and nodded. “Yes, her family will arrive in three weeks. She will be glad to see you again.” He offered her a cup of wine which she gratefully accepted.

“When will you finally wed her, Iolaus?” Vara reprimanded him, “you have been engaged forever. It’s no wonder her brothers keep glaring at you.”

“I will as soon as I can afford to,” Iolaus answered,  “I can hardly tell her to live in the barracks. I am saving up for a city house, but they don’t come cheap.”

“Can’t her family aid you?”

Iolaus smiled sadly. “A man should be able to provide for his own family, not rely on his wife’s.” When she saw Vara’s look of sympathy, he shook his head. “I’m almost able to rent something down town. Don’t worry. Ophelia understands. It’s just a few more months.”

“And when will you be wed, lady Vara?” Darius’ voice interrupted their conversation.

Vara turned to him and narrowed her eyes. “Why is that any of your concern, prince Darius?”

“No concern,” Darius answered calmly, “merely… curiosity. You have the marriageable age. I was only wondering. I am not familiar with your customs.”

Vara gritted her teeth. He was angering her on purpose, but the way he spoke made it impossible for her to start a fight.

King Marcos cleared his throat, sensing Vara’s annoyance. He sent her a warning look.

Vara smiled stiffly and looked Darius in the eyes. “Perhaps I have not found a man that suits me yet.”

It was Darius’ turn to grit his teeth. A woman deciding who she’d marry? The thought alone was preposterous. But he could hardly say that out loud, not with King Marcos present. “Perhaps your standards are too high, my lady,” he said innocently.

Vara raised an eyebrow. “Why settle for less?” she asked in a similar tone.

This time, Iolaus cleared his throat. “Vara, prince Cyrus has organized a morning ride. Will you be joining us?”

At Iolaus’ question, Cyrus turned his attention towards her in anticipation of her answer.

“I am afraid I must decline,” she answered, “I have promised to visit the lady Euridice. I cannot disappoint her.”

“I am sure my grandmother will understand,” Cyrus said, “you could visit her in the afternoon.”

“She asked me to read to you grandfather,” Vara answered calmly, “I cannot make him wait. You know he is tired in the afternoon. I’m sure you won´t even miss me. You have the lady Ariane to accompany you.” She smiled at him.

“Oh…” Ariane flinched, “I am not… horses frighten me.” She was sure she had mentioned that to Vara, and her brother was well aware too.

Darius turned to his sister. “Prince Cyrus will show you around the nearby villages. The people must meet you. This is the purpose of the tour.”

Ariane bit her lip and hung her head in defeat.

Vara suddenly pitied the girl. “If the lady Ariane is not comfortable with riding then I’m sure we can arrange for a carriage.” She tuned to the king. “My lord king?”

King Marcos inclined his head. “Of course my dear.” He raided his goblet at Ariane. “Do not worry, my lady. We will take good care of you.”

“You are too kind, your highness.”

“Lady Ariane has told me she has quite a voice for singing,” Vara diverted the attention. She smiled at the girl.

“Really?” Iolaus inquired, “you must let us hear then.”

Ariane’s cheeks turned red. There was no way out of this now. She glanced at her brother nervously.

Darius smiled approvingly.

“Will you, my lady?” the king asked. He motioned towards the musicians. “Please,” he said to Ariane and gestured in the direction of the dais.

Ariane took a deep breath and slowly made her way towards the musicians. She whispered something to them and they started to play a tune.

Vara had to admit Ariane really did have a good voice, albeit a bit insecure.

There was applause after her performance and Ariane returned to her seat with red tinted cheeks.

“You are very gifted, my lady,” Iolaus complimented.

“Thank you,” Ariane said shyly. She dared a glance at Cyrus. “Did it please you, your highness?”

“You have a lovely voice, my lady,” he answered politely.

“The song is well known in Tireze, my lord prince,” Ariane explained, “about a warrior who returns home after many years of battle to find comfort in the arms of the wife he had to leave behind.”

A silence fell. Cyrus smiled at her politely. “A lovely thought,” he commented.

Ariane’s blush deepened and she lowered her eyes.

Iolaus raised his goblet of wine. “To comforting wives,” he grinned.

“Hear, hear,” Torcan agreed.

The toast was made and goblets were emptied.

“Vara is quite talented too,” Cyrus commented. He smiled at Vara.

“Cyrus,” Vara warned

“Don’t be modest,” Cyrus told her, “I know grandfather likes it when you play for him. I haven’t heard it in a while. Why not play for our guests tonight?”

Vara looked towards the king for help, but he seemed oblivious to his son’s intentions. He nodded his consent. “Go on, Vara. Lady Ariane had sung a lovely ballad. Now please entertain us.”

“If it pleases you, your highness,” Vara answered quietly. She stood up and took a seat at the large harp in the corner of the room.

After a few deep breaths, she started playing. She loved to play. She had heard that Cyrus’ mother Aelia used to play as well. Her husband had spent many a night listening to her.

It was why Vara had decided to learn. When she played, she could forget everything around her.

Cyrus smiled at the melody Vara was playing and he relaxed in his seat. He couldn’t keep his eyes off her.

He was unaware of the watchful eyes of his guest

Darius narrowed his eyes at Cyrus. Something was not right and he would find out exactly what.
He leaned towards Torcan. “I think I need to postpone my journey home. There are some things I need to take care of first.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 865 52
A high trained Assassin is betrayed by her former lover, also known as the Royal's Son. The story takes place in Elisora, known for it's dark secrets...
2K 149 28
❝ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘˜π‘–π‘ π‘  π‘œπ‘“ π‘Žπ‘› π‘Žπ‘›π‘”π‘’π‘™ π‘π‘Žπ‘› 𝑝𝑒𝑑 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 π‘‘π‘œ 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, π‘“π‘œπ‘Ÿ 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 π‘π‘Žπ‘π‘Žπ‘π‘™π‘’ π‘œπ‘“ 𝑓...
1.5K 499 23
ΰ₯€ΰ₯€THE OPEN NOVELLA CONTEST LONGLISTEDΰ₯€ΰ₯€ Life...Limerence... Love When duty and desire clash, what will you choose? Can you give up the love which may...
231K 11.6K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...