DIVISION 52 - BOOK I

By Skyler_Wilde

In the distant future there are two powers that control Merridian city. The first: A dictatorship known as th... More

CHAPTER I
CHAPTER II
CHAPTER III
CHAPTER IV
CHAPTER V
CHAPTER VI
CHAPTER VII
CHAPTER VIII
CHAPTER IX
CHAPTER X
CHAPTER XI
CHAPTER XII
CHAPTER XIII
CHAPTER XIV
CHAPTER XV
CHAPTER XVI
CHAPTER XVII
CHAPTER XVIII
CHAPTER XIX
CHAPTER XX
CHAPTER XXI
CHAPTER XXII
CHAPTER XXIII
CHAPTER XXIV
CHAPTER XXV
CHAPTER XXVI
CHAPTER XVII
CHAPTER XVIII
CHAPTER XXIX
CHAPTER XXX
CHAPTER XXXI
CHAPTER XXXII
CHAPTER XXXIII
CHAPTER XXXIV
CHAPTER XXXV
CHAPTER XXXVI
CHAPTER XXXVII
CHAPTER XXXVIII
CHAPTER XXXIX
CHAPTER XL
CHAPTER XLI
CHAPTER XLIII
CHAPTER XLIV
CHAPTER XLV
CHAPTER XLVI
CHAPTER XLVII
CHAPTER XLVIII
CHAPTER XLIX
CHAPTER L
CHAPTER LI
CHAPTER LII
CHAPTER LIII
CHAPTER LIV
CHAPTER LV
CHAPTER LVI
CHAPTER LVII
CHAPTER LVIII
CHAPTER LIX
CHAPTER LX
CHAPTER LXI
CHAPTER LXII
CHAPTER LXIII
CHAPTER LXIV
CHAPTER LXV
CHAPTER LXVI
ADDENDUM

CHAPTER XLII

9.8K 523 95
By Skyler_Wilde

- M A K A Y L A -

"Can I ask you a question?"

Proximo's eyes rapidly scanned the crowds as we walked among the dwellers of 45. His long black trench coat with a red arm seemed to speak its own volumes—if the savage tattoos down one side of his face didn't already...

He didn't break his stride as he responded. "Was that not in itself a question?" He said flatly glancing down at me.

I balked a little. Better get to the point, he likes points... and blades—

"Scorpion told me some of the past, about how she rose to her position. To run the Underworld." His face remained impassive as if we were discussing the rain. "She briefly mentioned how you two met..." I ventured, but it was enough. The same knowing smile briefly rested on his features as he turned us down another busy road.

It was at that point I noticed no personal guard shadowed us. I supposed Proximo was the whole damn guard.

"Yes we had a memorable introduction." He cocked an eyebrow at me, it raised some dark ink with the move. "I suppose you'd like the rest of that story?"

"If you don't mind telling it of course." I said quickly and averted my eyes ahead.

I still saw the grin. "She probably mentioned my previous employer?"

I dropped him a nod.

He grunted and readjusted the folds of his long coat, no doubt and the many weapons beneath it.
"Lazuras was my ticket in, moron or not he had the title. Once I became noteworthy and he became nothing more than a puddle on the floor I sought out Scorpion." A few bystanders recognised Proximo and scattered like insects. I was glad I chose to leave Alex's cloak behind... "What I didn't account for was how desperate her second in command was at the time. When I dispatched her personal guard, we were to engage in single combat. A test of many ways in character rather than strength..." his eyes grew thoughtful as he slowed his long stride through the streets. He cut us left and led us into quieter side streets as he continued.

"Scorpion saw my ability hand to hand. She now wanted to see it with a weapon. When she drew her dagger she had no idea her second had poisoned the blades when she engaged. We traded blows until eventually the poison entered me and I could hardly stand." My mouth was wide as he retold it, I could hardly imagine the duel between them. He smirked down at me.

"She instantly realised. She didn't even hesitate when she saw my swaying. She drew her own blade and ran it along her hand." He chuckled darkly. "It was fast acting stuff but I had never guessed she would even the odds like that. Take the insecurity of one of her own and wear it as an equal. The fight did not last long as you can imagine. The poison was killing us, but she only called for the antidote when both of us dropped to our knees. I've never looked back since then, never considered outside allegiances or bribes. I know where Scorpion and I stand." He said in finality with hard respect in those steel coloured eyes.

It took me a moment to turn my dazed gaze back towards him. He watched me with calculated calm awaiting a response. So I let out a breath and shook my head.
"In a way I'm not surprised. She can't stand lies." I said as we walked. I saw him nodded slightly in the side of my vision.

"Her second received swift retribution. She let me swing the sword."

"And you've been her second for how many years?"

"Four." He stated simply.

I paled at that. "Meaning she was how young when she started killing criminal overlords.?" My voice went higher.

He threw me a savage grin. "Young enough."

My guess was that she was hardly twenty when she started killing them off. Started becoming a weapon incarnate. How many years before that was spent training to become—

"We're here." Proximo interrupted my thoughts as we arrived outside an entirely forgettable dark building with hardly more than four floors in height. I eyed it unimpressed.

"Judging a building by its facade." Proximo tutted nearby. "How very Sector 1 of you."

I frowned as he strode forward and pressed an intercom on a dirty stone pillar. The place would need some serious work... if this was really his choice. I eyed the broken windows above the few floors. The building was wide I'd give him that. At least a cargo warehouse in width. It was secluded. Not a person walked the thin street and it was overshadowed by a large overpass where land vehicles raced on high.

"Dazz." Proximo spoke deep into the old mic.

"Prox, come on in!" A female voice called back a moment later.

When the door buzzed open we drew within. It was as equally unimpressive within as it was outside. We were met with a stone hall. Nondescript in every sense apart from a few graffiti tags.

Then I heard steps, small but quick.

Bright blue hair shone around the corner before the one I assumed was Dazz flashed him a bright grin.

"Come here you big rock!" She called as she quickened her pace. I noticed the bright neon blue ink etched along her collar bones into swirls of waves and curls. Her bright blue hair was plaited down one side.
Proximo's expression was bordering on exasperated.

"A handshake will do—" she cut through his words with an eager hug he couldn't escape. I couldn't hide the smirk on my face as he awkwardly allowed a pat on her shoulder.

Then she punched him hard on the arm to my utter disbelief. He merely glared like...
"Makayla, this is my ever draining sister."

I stared in shock. Before she turned her attention on me with the equal calculation of her brothers grey eyes. They raised her brows a little.

"A bit finely cut for your taste Prox but morbidly better looking than your last." She shrugged.

He pinched his nose tightly. "She is not—"

"Shhuushh!" She threw a hand towards him as she eyed me in detail. Her dark tank top showed no flash of red or allegiance to division 52. In fact the rest of her cargo pants and boots were fairly civilian.

"What's your work?" She asked with a small squint.

"I... help out Scorpion... when I can." I tried unconvincingly to come up with my role in all this.

"Uhuh." Dazz replied. She grinned up at her brother. "Your girl is a terrible liar, I guess it is that pretty face you're after." She winked at me.

My face heated and I looked to Proximo for help.

"Dazz she is not with me. She is very far from that." He got out through gritted teeth.

"Oh? So she's single?" Dazz responded with a slow smirk. She threw me a more intent look with those keen grey eyes.

Were people in this area always so forward?

Proximo palmed his face. For whatever reason he was keeping the details of me and Alex apart. It was likely out of caution for who she was and the threat it would bring down on both of us. But really he needed to keep her in check before a demon in red really did appear...

"We are here for a reason." He stated firmly.

"Of course, of course. Time flies when you're having this much fun." She said looking my way again. I tried a formal smile back which only made her laugh.

She turned on her heel and let out an overly grandiose voice. "Let's head down!" It echoed through the entire building.

* * * * *

We arrived outside a large set of steel doors.

Dazz mashed a button with a fist wrapped in fingerless leather gloves. I watched her blue plaited head, almost a head and a half shorter than Proximo's stoic form.

How on earth were they related.

They kept their heads facing the metal waiting for the lift as they spoke quietly.

"How are the markets?"

"Volatile because of all the noise you've been making." Dazz responded easily.

"You went short right?" Proximo stated.

"Let's just say I modified my stocks to land favourably." She said quietly.

"Dazz. If you keep hacking the markets like this—"
His growl was cut short.

"Oh fear not little brother, all the attention seems to be on you. What I do behind a holoscreen is non consequential compared to what that psycho in red is up to."

Before Proximo could finish the snarl in response the lift pinged and the doors revealed a blue lit floor to the lift. It was shockingly high-spec for the crumbling stone around it.

Dazz threw an arm out towards it with a bitter smile aimed at her brother. He grunted and shouldered past it. She then threw me a more apologetic look with those matching grey eyes.

When the doors closed he spoke.

"Do not speak of things you know nothing about." He got out through teeth.

"She doesn't own me." Was her only response as the lift moved swiftly down. I stood there awkwardly behind them, wanting to melt into the wall as the family feud continued.

"Save the self glorified rebellion speech for next decade."

"And you, the growling dog act for the kennels."

"Sorry Makayla. Watching the world through a holo so much makes some inept and ignorant." Proximo announced to the lift.

I actually wanted to laugh honestly. The man was a calculating killing machine to me up until this moment. He was so very human to me now...

"Don't let me interrupt." I got out through a smirk at their backs.

Proximo rolled his neck slowly and Dazz blew a strand from her face and buried her hands in her pockets. Were they sulking..?

The doors made another light sound and the doors withdrew.

We were met with a long hall of clouded glass illuminated by more floor lighting in deep blue.

Dazz became a casual realtor. She flicked a hand out as we walked. "Customisable floor to ceiling lights. Powered by solar tiles and rigged to the grid." Proximo nodded as she narrated, the scene in the lift instantly forgotten and business in place. "—plasma grappling guns can be activated from street and interior levels upstairs for housekeeping. Thermo, heartbeat and x-ray scans run on entry before lift access—"

Proximo grunted, "the pillars... nice touch."

Dazz smirked over a shoulder continuing. "Fifty feet below ground level which deters surface to air missiles. Down here you could take an EMP, plasma turret or gunship attack and shake it off."

We rounded a glass corner and it opened up into a cavernous room with tall ceilings. All was empty except for metal pillars inlaid with stripes of more blue lighting and a shining floor of white.

"Walls could easily divide the space here unless open floor space is what you need. I have contractors on the pay who work bespoke discreet contracts." She said emphasising her words.

He merely nodded as we walked through the large space towards another glass corridor. A large pair of stone steps illuminated in blue at the sides greeted us. We ascended onto a platform of wooden floor and even more luxury. A square fire pit dominated the space. Glass made up the walls and hovered above all of the cavernous floor space below.

Proximo nodded as he cast his eyes around.

"Privacy glass can be activated on command to cloud out the outside. Fire is also voice command and very real so don't check for its realism."

"The smoke?"

Dazz snorted with a bored look. "Ventilated and dispersed through the sewer pipelines."

It went on like this for a while. Proximo asking about specifications and Dazz bordering on irritation that it even needs to be asked. But I could see why this was his first choice.

It was practically a military grade fortress hidden in the run down skeleton of a forgotten building block.

"What about entrances?" Proximo questioned. "We will have many of our people in and out, we need to reduce footfall in the open."

"Which is why you have five possible entrances." Dazz said as she eyed a holo pad in her hand, barely giving her brother the time.

"Five?" Proximo repeated in shock.

"Couldn't have you getting lost could I?" She rolled her eyes. "You've got two tunnels running through the West and East ends. Another from the landing roof that opens on proximity. One more that connects to the neighbouring building onto the third floor and the last... well that one isn't so pleasant." She smiled widely.

Proximo sighed, "Let me guess. The same place you ventilate the smoke fumes?"

"Not such a rock in the head." She chuckled as she leaned against a pillar.

He nodded and his eyes were thoughtful for a few seconds.

"Well?" She demanded impatiently.

"It will do."

She punched him but missed when he dodged with half a thought. He drew a hidden dagger and twirled it between his fingers like a pen. Dazz scowled at him.

It seems business was carried out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 73 21
This is part 2 of Ari's Reverse Harlem. Ari has been getting stronger every day with the help of her mates and brothers. Her love ones are still try...
13.8K 695 103
Aurora opens her eyes only to feel the agonising pain in her body. That is to be expected when there has been an accident. It's excruciatingly painfu...
165K 6K 70
Seventeen years on this earth and Kate Ballard has learned one thing. Those with all of the power make all of the rules. 100 years into the future a...
461K 27.7K 66
"You just love getting yourself into trouble, don't you?" Moonwitches, the rarest and most powerful beings in the entire universe. They are favored b...