Beautiful Mistake

By AngieAngC

Book 3 in the 'Beautiful' trilogy. Elena De Luca, the 26-year-old Mafia Princess. The daughter of the notori... More

Main Character List & Trailer
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Setup
Chapter 2 - Blood
Chapter 3 - Breaking Away
Chapter 4 - Taken
Chapter 5 - Desire
Chapter 6 - Playing With Fire
Chapter 8 - Decisions
Chapter 9 - Confidence
Chapter 10 - Body Say
Chapter 11 - What Afterglow?
Chapter 12 - Night Terrors
Chapter 13 - Dinner
Chapter 14 - New Indulgence (Part 1)
Chapter 15 - New Indulgence (Part 2)
Chapter 16 - Her Smile, Her Laugh
Chapter 17 - Our Demons (Part 1)
Chapter 18 - Our Demons (Part 2)
Chapter 19 - Our Demons (Part 3)
Chapter 20 - Stay
Chapter 21 - Display
Chapter 22 - Eleventh Floor
Chapter 23 - Heal
Chapter 24 - Deep
Chapter 25 - Bounded Touch
Chapter 26 - Bold
Chapter 27 - Roses
Chapter 28 - Martina Di Mauro
Chapter 29 - You Have Me
Chapter 30 - Bachelorette
Chapter 31 - You Are Mine
Chapter 32 - Fun & Games
Chapter 33 - All The Truth
Chapter 34 - Discoveries
Chapter 35 - Showdowns
Chapter 36 - Rescue
Chapter 37 - Say Something
Chapter 38 - Fixing Mistakes
Chapter 39 - A New Elena
Chapter 40 - Return
Chapter 41 - Funeral
Chapter 42 - Gush of Emotions
Chapter 43 - Decisions
Chapter 44 -True Identity
Chapter 45 - He's Gone
Chapter 46 - Hope
Chapter 47 - My Home
Chapter 48 - Past Token
Chapter 49 - Heirlooms

Chapter 7 - Struggles

9.6K 361 86
By AngieAngC

Elena's POV

I sat on the edge of the bed and stared at this tumultuous bubble of energy before me. She wasn't the least bit phased of the consequences that could arise. Who is she?

"I don't think that's a good idea," I noted with a raised brow.

"Oh, it's a brilliant idea! Don't you want to breathe in some fresh air? Have a cocktail or two by the pool?" She began walking further into the room.

"Angelo -" I began.

"I'll handle Angelo. Don't you worry about him." She smirked, rubbing her hands together.

"Are you his girlfriend or something?" I queried out of curiosity, her confidence and lack of fear towards Angelo making me wonder.

"Oh, good God, no!" She exclaimed.

"My name's Katena, people call me Kat for short. And that handsome Ragazzo (boy) that stood with you in the kitchen earlier would be my fiance, Gio. Giovanni when he's in trouble." Her hands were on her hips now as she grinned. 

"Oh..." I nodded with a chuckle, their exchange earlier making sense.

"Who are you, Cara (dear)?" She asked me, sitting down on the chair by the dressing table.

"Um..." I thought about this for a moment. I need to keep my identity a secret for now. I know they will eventually figure it out, however, right now I was a nobody. I wasn't related to anyone specific and the second I drop my real identity I become a somebody with a target on my back.

"Eva," I mumbled, looking at my fingers as I twiddle them around one another.

"Pretty name. So, what do you say? Fancy a Rossini (Italian cocktail)?" She smiled enthusiastically.

"I've never tried one, but sounds lovely."

"Awesome!"

"On one condition!" I paused her. "I need a shower after that one cocktail."

I bunched up my hair, gathering it into a bun for now.

"Of course, we can -" She paused as if moving my hair away gave her a better view of me.

"What happened to your face!? Who did that to you?" She shrieked, standing and walking over to me.

"It's nothing. I'm fine." I brushed it off.

She went silent and I could see her mind assuming along. She then took my hand, leading me out of the room and down the stairs. When we reached the bottom, she turned to face me with her hands on my arms.

"Are you here willingly?" She spoke in a whisper.

"What?" Could she really be completely oblivious to it all?

"You heard me." She crossed her arms.

I stood shifting from one foot to another, avoiding eye contact with her as I opened my mouth to try speak dishonestly.

"That's all the answer I need." She spoke above me, stomping away with her hand in mine.

We shuffled through the house and kitchen, stepping out onto the deck. She stopped, glancing around us before her eyes landed on them.

Angelo and Giovanni were sitting on the steps in the garden. Angelo had changed his clothes and was now in more casual attire. It was different, but of the good kind, because he pulled it off way too well. 

They were chatting among each other with Angelo running his fingers through his swarthy hair in frustration as he spoke. As he lifted his head, his eyes met mine. His mouth sat agape, his scowl shifting between Kat and I. I noticed him lean forward, linking his hands in between his legs. He shook his head and spoke to Gio one last time.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me."

Gio glanced up, his eyes widening when he noticed us before narrowing into slits as his gaze landed on Kat.

"Don't give me that look, idiota (idiot)! You're the one in trouble here!" She uttered to herself as she walked down the steps, letting go of my hand to stalk over to them.

"GIOVANNI!" She yelled at him.

"Katena, what the fuck do you think you're doing!?" Angelo stood, his body overshadowing hers, as he seethed in her direction.

"What am I doing!? What are you doing, Angelo!? When did you boys add kidnapping into your list of services?" She stopped, placing her hands on her hips as she took a provocative step towards him.

"Katena, you're my cousin's fiance and you're marrying into this family. Out of respect, I am going to give you this one chance to walk away. Stand down and fucking walk away!" He growled at her. I could see the veins in his neck popping while his eyes began overrunning me. His glare was intense and I felt myself cowering slightly.

"Or what Angelo? Are you going to slap me around like you did her?" Kat patronized him, her face edging closer to his.

"Mi scusi (excuse me)!?" I saw him fuming further, his jaw clenching as he stared at her.

"You think... You think I did that to her?" Angelo's eyes met mine once more before returning downwards.

"I don't know, Angelo, did you? She won't talk. She seems petrified to talk." Kat continued pushing.

"Oh, don't be fooled, Katena. She is far from petrified." Angelo scoffed followed my an unamused chuckle.

"I don't fucking care. I want to know what the fuck is going on here!"

"This has nothing to do with you Katena, drop it!" Giovanni tried interjecting between his fiance and cousin.

"It has everything to do with me! And if you're going to stand there and defend this then you can fucking find another fiance. I am marrying you, Giovanni, so whatever demons you face, I face them too. I need to know what's going on, otherwise this...." She began gesturing between them with her index finger.

"This isn't going to work. And whatever is happening with you..." She now pointed her finger, pressing against Angelo's chest.

"Whatever is happening with you, directly affects your cousin since he is now your Capo Bastone (underboss)! And you both arrived at that decision with my approval! So, yes, Angelo this is my business and I am demanding to know what the fuck is going on here!" She steamed in his space.

Angelo kept watching her, shifting his gaze to Gio then returning it to Kat as his mind raced through the possible ways to fix this.

"Fine. I'll explain everything to you, but only later tonight. I have to get going." He looked at his watch, checking the time followed by a quick glance into the sky.

I watched Kat's whole attitude change. Her face softened, her body relaxed as her muscles reposed. She had a disheartened expression while watching him. 

"Angelo, you go there every day. You don't need to-" Kat began speaking calmly with a sympathetic look upon her face.

"And I will go there every fucking day for the rest of my life." He cut her off with a firm statement.

Kat began nodding, taking a few steps back and hugging her body with her arms around her torso. She apologized to him softly which he responded to with a quick hug and playful shove. Angelo then began walking in my direction. He lifted his head, noticing me standing there causing him to halt in reaction. He shook his head and turned on the heel of his foot to walk away from me. He walked passed a loving Gio and Kat, disappearing around the corner of the house.

Kat saw Angelo's reaction to me prompting her to walk my way after kissing Gio goodbye.

"What was that? Why is Angelo avoiding you?" She asked me a question I couldn't even answer at this moment. I simply shrugged my shoulders in response.

Kat and I spent two hours on the deck drinking the Rossini's she had offered me earlier. She helped me get my mind off of things and simply enjoy a carefree afternoon.

I held the champagne flute in my hand, swirling the red liquid around it. I began feeling myself dozing off, the relaxed atmosphere bringing forth my exhaustion. I quickly downed the remnants of the glass, popping the strawberry at the end of it inside my mouth.

"Kat, please may I go shower? The fatigue is catching up to me." I asked her, a yawn exposing me instantly.

"Of course, Cara (dear)! Use the door right across from your room, that's a bathroom. There should be towels hanging on the rails, but call me if you have any issues."

"Thanks. I guess I better say good night to you now. And thank you so much for this afternoon. I definitely needed it." I mentioned as I stood from my chair.

"Aren't you joining us for dinner?" She asked me, rising to her feet as well.

"No, thank you. I will be joining the pillow and duvet on the bed though."

Kat giggled while nodding in acknowledgment. I left her on the deck, making my way back upstairs. There were guards at every turn, simply standing motionless, expressionless, and silent. There was no way out of here, not easily at least.

I reached the door I think was the room I was placed in. This place is huge and I wasn't paying much attention earlier. I knocked on the door before opening it a little, noticing the same bedroom on the other side. Ok, that's definitely the room which means the bathroom...

I turned around to meet a closed-door directly across. I grabbed the handle and opened it, shutting and locking it behind me. I guess I'll have to wear these clothes again until I manage to speak to someone regarding the clothing situation, or lack thereof.

I walked around the bathroom, admiring the golden leaf-patterned tiles around the walls. There was a massive clawfoot bathtub against the wall beneath a size-matching window. It overlooked his garden area, however, most of the view was consumed by the sea. I watched the water flashing it's shining principles as the sun rays hit the surface.

I made my way further into the bathroom, searching for the shower. There was a  parallel wall creating a black tiled tunnel of some sort, a showerhead appearing towards the end of it. I made my way towards it, wanting to adjust the temperature of the water before undressing. As I turned the corner, my heart nearly jumped out of my chest.

"Oh, shit!" I gasped, but my feet wouldn't move.

There he was, in all his mystified glory. He was leaning against the wall with a towel lowly wrapped around his waist, beads of water still traveling down his body. I struggled to breathe as my eyes began wandering. It was as if the air became thinner with every crevice my vision discovered along the scorching path of his body. With every section my eyes landed upon, the more lost I became, the quicker my heart beat, the more my core craved, the wetter I grew, and I felt myself getting weak at the knees with that devilish grin upon his lips aimed directly at me. He knew perfectly well that his body was sculpted by the Gods themselves and he loved every single struggle he saw my body enduring.

"Can I help you with something, Amore (love)?" His voice was husky and deep, sinking all his poison into me with every word and look. Lord have mercy on me, please.

I swallowed hard, unable to speak as my eyes landed on the region of the towel that was tucked inward. My mind began filling itself with euphoric thoughts, thinking of how precarious it was. Just the slightest pull and that towel would be pooling around his feet. For fuck's sake, Elena, get a grip on yourself.

"Uh... Nope. Nothing at all." I replied to him, forcing my eyes to tear away from his body and look at the wall behind him instead.

My eyes began betraying me as they kept bouncing back and forth between him and the wall. I huffed in annoyance before spinning on the heel of my foot, facing my back towards him.

"Kat told me I could use this bathroom to take a shower." My voice was raspy as I spoke.

"Mmmm..." He hummed in acknowledgment. 

"So, why are you in here then?" I tried.

"Because it's my bathroom." He countered back.

"I thought you had left."

"Over two hours ago. I got back 10 minutes ago." His voice seemed closer in proximity, sending shivers down my spine.

"Don't you have your own bathroom, attached to your own bedroom? You seem like that privileged kind." I continued, trying to distract myself by throwing my attitude at him.

I heard him chuckle followed by an anxious silence. Soon after, I felt the heat from his naked body melting the skin of my back.

"Can I let you in on a little secret?" He whispered into my ear, my body trembling in response.

"Everything in this house is mine."

He shifted around my body, his naked chest brushing against my arm as he appeared in front of me once more.

"Stop patronizing me." I shoved him gently to create some distance, the feel of his hard chest beneath my palm sending a magnitude of shocks throughout my body.

"And not everything," I stated confidently, ignoring him and going about my things. I turned around to open the water, allowing the two elements to join into the perfect temperature.

I spun around, slamming right into his rock hard body. I took a step back and found my back dampen from the running water.

"In time, Amore (love), in time." He spoke his last words to me before leaving the bathroom, a smug smirk tugging on the side of his lips. Good God...

What does this man want from me? He blows hot and cold in a matter of seconds. First, he's a fucking asshole, then he cares. First, he's playful then he turns into this raging beast.

I pushed the thoughts of him out of my head and ignored the reaction my body was having for him. There was a knock on the door as I was about to take my shirt off, causing me to freeze. I walked over and pulled it open gradually to reveal Kat standing there with a handful of clothes.

"Thought you might need some fresh clothes. Most of these still have the price tag on." She mentioned, holding out her arms.

"Um... Thank you. You didn't have to but I appreciate it." I took them from her.

"Anytime, Cara (dear). But now, onto a more pressing matter." She pushed the door ajar, popping her head closer to mine.

"Why was Angelo leaving this bathroom at the same time you were in here? And in nothing but a towel?" She narrowed her eyes, speaking in a hushed voice.

"Because he was already here! He had just finished showering and I just waltzed in! I didn't think there would be someone in here, you told me I could use it!" I yelled in a whisper back to her.

"I didn't know he would be here! I didn't even know he was back!" She then paused and thought for a moment.

"But he never uses this bathroom. At least, I don't ever remember him using it."

"Yeah, well, he used it today!" I exclaimed with a nervous chuckle, my voice just above a murmur.

Kat went silent prompting me to glance up and meet her eye. She was observing me, her eyes jogging around my face. Her lips curved into a hint of a grin before she pursed them to hide it again.

"What?" I asked her, narrowing my eyes onto her.

"Nothing!" She squeaked immediately. "Nothing at all."

With that, she walked away with a slight bounce in her step. I shook my head as I closed and locked the door behind me. I quickly undressed and stood beneath the shower for a long while. The feeling of the hot water hitting my skin and muscles was heavenly. I finished up and got changed into the clothes Kat gave me. I exited the bathroom, drying my hair with a towel before freezing on the spot. Angelo was standing with crossed arms, leaning against the wall beside the bedroom door.

"You took awfully long in there. Busy with something, Amore (love)?" He spoke suggestively, his voice intense and curious. Is he asking what I think he is? Is this boy for real?

"Yeah. Cleansing myself of your repugnant energy and atmospheric disturbances." I threw back at him.

He let out a hearty and amused laugh before opening the bedroom door. He looked up at me, quirked his brow and ran his eyes over me.

"Get in. We need to have a little chat." He instructed me, his whimsical aura completely vanished.

I felt myself rolling my eyes, a habit I've done all my life. I heard a deep grunt escape the base of his throat, a form of low rumble or gentle growl. He tried so hard to ignore me and my displays of irritation as his eyes averted from me.

I walked into the room, a massive smirk upon my lips, and sat down on the edge of the bed, crossing one leg over the other while crossing my arms over my chest. He shut the door behind him, putting his hand in his pocket and pulling out a phone. My phone.

"This thing has been going off all day. Clearly, someone misses you. You are going to call them back and tell them you're fine." He instructed, holding out the phone to me.

"And what if I don't want to?" I asked him, my eyes glancing over the phone, the rest of my body giving no intention of moving or taking it.

"Do you really want to take that chance? You're only placing those you love in harm's way." He stated bluntly.

I glared at him, my mind thinking about everything so far. In harm's way? Oh, buddy, you have no idea who you're threatening. I couldn't help the slight smirk on my face growing followed by an amused scoff.

I thought about this while still in the shower. I had made my decision already in there. I was just pushing buttons now because it's fun. But I need to hang around here a little longer. I need to tell him the truth about his father's death and give him his father's ring. I owe that much to the man. And I owe it to myself. I need to make peace with this and the way that night haunts me also stems from not being able to have helped his father. So, this is my way of helping him.

I extended my arm and grabbed my phone from his hand. Just before I managed to pull away, his hand enclosed tightly around mine.

"No funny business. You try something and it won't end well for you." He threatened me, his hand pulling his suit jacket to the side to reveal a gun tucked into his pants. Yeah, sure, buddy. I would pay to see you try to shoot me.

He released my hand and I retracted it. I unlocked my phone with the facial recognition software, glancing over the missed calls from Papà. Shit.

I clicked on his number, lifting the phone to my ear and hearing the dialing tones on the other side. I need to play this out just right in order to fool both men.

"You better have a fucking good explanation for your 24-hour silence! I was about to send the fucking calvary! They are minutes away from take-off, El-"

"Dad!" I yelled over his voice before my name rung out through his mouth.

"Dad, I'm fine. Everything's fine. I'm sorry for disappearing, but I might have left out a piece of information regarding my travels." I mentioned sheepishly.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me. What did you do, E-"

"So!" I spoke above him once more. "So, the retreat I'm entering into is known as a silent one. Which means, no cellular phones or technological access to the outside world is allowed for the 2 weeks I'm here." I was waiting for him to lose it, expecting it.

"You knew very well I wouldn't have let you go." He spoke calmly, but it was a dangerous calm. I knew his tones by now.

"Yup." I sounded out.

"You are definitely your mother's fucking daughter." He remarked underneath his breath.

"You played me, figlia (daughter), but I'm going to give this one to you. Only this one time." His voice was low as the words coming from him surprised me.

My eyes had been trained on Angelo's this whole time, but now I slowly lowered them as a grin appeared on my lips.

"Mamma is standing right next to you, isn't she?" I spoke softly into the phone.

"Affirmative." My father's voice caused me to burst out laughing, Angelo's face contorting into a perplexed expression.

"Oh, Dad, you are such a softie for her," I commented, feeling a bit melancholic as I began to miss my family.

"I wouldn't call it being soft as much as valuing my life, sleeping in my own bed, and -"

"You better not be entering into some sexual innuendo." I cut him off.

"Well, then, I guess I can't finish the sentence." He spoke smugly.

"Jesus, Dad." I placed my head in the palm of my hand while shaking it.

"So, when will I hear from you? This is very hard for me, baby girl." My father spoke honestly.

"I know. And it means so much to me that you allowed me to come. I will call you in two weeks' time. I'm fine, Dad. Everything is fine. Relax and enjoy your time in your own bed, still very much alive." I joked.

I heard him chuckling on the other side. The line then changed slightly, his chuckles sounding further away. That's when I heard my mother's voice.

"Hello, my baby."

"Hi, Mamma. Go easy on Dad, will you? He's trying, he really is." I spoke softly.

"I know he is. You're on loudspeaker by the way." She mentioned.

"I know. Look I really need to go, the next meditating session is about to start." I lied, needing to end this conversation quickly. I could feel the tears stinging my eyes.

"Alright, baby. We love you."

"I love you too," I uttered softly.

With that, the line went dead but I kept the phone against my ear. I looked up to see Angelo still watching me but not suspicious of anything. I need to do something to prevent him from having this phone. If he takes it and gets a tech to work on it, he will find out who I am in no time.

I bit the inside of my lip, battling my inner self on whether I do this or not. My next move will surely anger him, of that I am certain. I know he will become that fearsomely raging brute I witnessed earlier. The question remains, how far will this push him? And how much more accelerant am I willing to throw at the already burning fire?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.5K 3.1K 63
This is the Sequal of Pain Before Love. You will need to Read the first one to understand this one or you will be confused. This is Keyona Martinez...
4.9K 397 10
"You think you can take her away from me?....Touch her and you'll be begging for death the next minute" -------- "Get your filthy hands away from my...
406K 10.2K 37
Renzo Lucarelli is the heir of the biggest mafia in Italy and one of the biggest ones in the world. He is cold, ruthless and cares only about his maf...