You Should Bow to the Sea God

By shadowgrace0630

"Poseidon is dead." Three words had sent Percy Jackson's life spiralling out of his control. Percy who had tu... More

Chapter 1: Testament and Will of Poseidon
Chapter 2: Immortality
Chapter 3: Nightmares and Warnings
Chapter 5: Mermaids and Atlantis
Chapter 6: Council of Atlantis
Chapter 7: Guilty Until Proven Innocent
Chapter 8: Will You Marry Me?
Chapter 9: What Prowls in the Dark
Chapter 10: Lessons for the 'Weak'
Chapter 11: Trouble is a Friend
Chapter 12: Demon Princes and Darkness
Chapter 13: Pathetic, Incompetent, Nothing
Chapter 14: Wise Girl, Seaweed Brain
Chapter 15: Books and Lies
Chapter 16: Not Again!
Chapter 17: A Secret Buried Deep
Chapter 18: A Mermaid's Wish
Chapter 19: A Letter, a Trident and a Jason Grace
Chapter 20: Confessions to Make
Chapter 21: Mind the Squid
Chapter 22: A Revelation? Or a Betrayal
Chapter 23: The Second Trench War
Chapter 24: Drown Her
Chapter 25: Compassion is a Weakness
Chapter 26: Once and for All
Epilogue
Author's note

Chapter 4: For better or for worse

4K 102 103
By shadowgrace0630

"Honestly? It could be anyone," Annabeth said.

Percy frowned, sipping on his cup of hot coffee. He had opted to drink blue coke that morning but Annabeth refused to let him drink soda this early in the morning. God or no god, she had said and given him a cup of coffee instead, ignoring Percy's pout.

"Maybe it's someone I know?" Percy asked. After he woke up, the first thing he did was run to Annabeth's cabin, informing her everything while receiving quite a few glares from her half siblings for waking them up too.

"Perhaps," Annabeth allowed, sipping her tea. "But Poseidon has made many enemies over the years and it could be any of them."

Percy's face fell. "I think the killer is still out there. And I think he might be coming for me next," he added again in a whisper.

Annabeth grabbed his hand. "Percy," she said. "After all these years we've been together, you're really going to let this pull you down? Whatever happens, we can solve it, as long as we're together."

Percy couldn't help but smile at his girlfriend. She was right, she always was.

"You're up early," Jason Grace's voice interrupted them. Behind him was a yawning Piper McLean. She gave a bright smile and wave when she saw them.

"Hey guys," Percy greeted.

"You're up early too," Annabeth noted. "The sun hasn't even rised yet."

"We heard agitated voices," Piper explained. "Plus we couldn't sleep much anyway after all those events. Leo's awake too but he went to look for Calypso first."

"Reyna said she'll visit later, along with Hazel and Frank," Jason added. "Reyna wants to meet up with you," he said to Percy.

Percy sighed. "Probably to check to see if the rumours are true."

"Or to check in as a friend," Annabeth suggested.

"So that means the rumours are true then," a grim voice said and Percy turned to find Nico di Angelo walking towards them, pale faced, well paler than he usually was at least.

Nico sucked in a sharp breath as soon as he laid his eyes upon Percy. "You... I...," he stuttered. "Your aura," he breathed, seemly lost for words.

Percy raised an eyebrow.

"Sorry," Nico apologized sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Your aura is so different, it's... new for me I guess. It'll need some getting used to."

"It's fine? I guess?" Percy said.

Before anyone could say anything about it, there was a flash of light and when it dimmed, a large figure appeared before them, a beautiful woman behind him.

"Dad?!" Jason cried, his eyes wide.

"Amphitrite?" Percy said, surprised, recognizing the queen of the oceans, Poseidon's wife.

His step mom.

Most of the time, Percy forgot that Poseidon was actually married to someone else and he was just a result of one of Poseidon's various affairs. Fortunately for him, Amphitrite was nothing like Hera and never mistreated Percy because of her husband's unfaithfulness. Instead, she had welcomed Percy warmly and took him in like her own son during his few trips to Atlantis before. And he was grateful for that. He didn't want to be turned into a dolphin or something worse for all eternity.

"Perseus Jackson," Zeus greeted but there was no warmth in his eyes. "You are needed in Atlantis immediately."

"Now?" Annabeth cried, standing up. "But Percy just came back!" she protested.

"Atlantis is in chaos," Amphitrite said, her voice grave. "With Poseidon... gone, the people of the sea demand a ruler. There are even rumours that Poseidon's old enemies are rising again. If you do not come now, an attack might happen really soon, and trust me, it won't be pretty."

Amphitrite and Zeus then exchanged a glance as if they were hiding something, debating if they should mention it now of all times.

"Tell me," Percy said tiredly, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration. "I mean, how worse can things get?" Zeus cleared his throat uncomfortably and glanced at the demigods, his friends beside him. "No," Percy said. "They stay with me," he said firmly.

Zeus sighed. "As you wish," he said gravely. "Poseidon mentioned something at the end of his will, something we failed to mention because of the shock everyone was experiencing at that time."

Percy swallowed, waiting. And Zeus's next words made him deeply regret saying that things couldn't get any worse.

"You are betrothed to a mermaid Poseidon chose," Zeus said slowly. "You will be marrying her next week, after the coronation and engagement party."

Percy's jaw fell wide open in shock. Beside him, Annabeth wore the exact mirror expression while Jason and Piper gasped, so loudly it seemed like a cry. Nico blinked repeatly as if he still didn't get the situation.

"What?" was all Percy managed to say.

"Excuse me?" Annabeth cried, taking a step forward at Zeus. Jason grabbed her arm but she shoved him back. "Are you saying that Poseidon is arranging a marriage for Percy? Against his will?!" she cried.

"I understand you're upset," Zeus said to his granddaughter.

"No, you don't," Annabeth hissed. "Percy has gave up many years of his life, dedicating himself to saving the dam world, and this is what he gets in return? Being something he doesn't want to be, marrying someone he doesn't want—"

"He hasn't even met her yet," Amphitrite said softly. She turned to Percy, her eyes filled with utmost sympathy for him, for Annabeth. "I didn't want this to happen either," she whispered. "I know how much Annabeth means to you, and you to her. But Poseidon made it clear in his will, with his reasons of course, so hear what your father has to say first."

"He doesn't seem to care as much as Annabeth does," Zeus muttered, noticing Percy's petrified expression. Immediately, Percy glared at him and Zeus, to his surprise, shrank a little under his glare.

"Out of respect for my father, I'll hear him out first," Percy said through gritted teeth. One hand gripped Annabeth's in his while he clenched the other in a fist. It took all his self control to not explode the camp right where he stood.

Amphitrite gave a relieved sigh and continued, "Your father wants, um... wanted you to marry a mermaid of his choice. He wanted you, as the king of the oceans to marry someone from the oceans. It would help the people of Atlantis to put their trust in you, knowing that your... wife is one of their own. You are a child of the land and sea, the people might not believe in you, Poseidon's son or not. But with a mermaid queen, they can fully trust you. And this mermaid was like a daughter to Poseidon as well, so I can see why he chose her. The people already know her and even address her as 'princess' occasionally, so with her as your wife, the people would react better to this sudden... change of leadership."

"And who is this mermaid?" Percy asked, still through gritted teeth.

"Sylvia," Zeus answered before Amphitrite could. "She was like an adopted daughter of Poseidon. They were very close and Poseidon certainly treated her like a daughter. And she knew the consequences of failing to fulfill a late god's wishes so she had agreed to the betrothal."

"There is ancient magic in wills, Percy," Amphitrite explained. "Especially the wills of a late god. Fail to obey a god's final wishes will be like breaking a promise made on the River Styx, fatal and deadly that could result in death or worse. We could offer you a choice, but frankly, you don't have much say in it unless you are willing to face the consequences."

"Or let someone else carry the burden of said consequences for you," Zeus said, glancing swiftly at Annabeth who still clutched his hand tightly. "And trust me, Sylvia didn't know of this until this morning as well. And she is just as shocked as you are, even worse for her probably since she was engaged to someone else already. She has called off the engagement to honor Poseidon's wishes. I truly hope you will do the same, for the benefit of everyone."

Percy couldn't bring himself to feel pity for someone else, considering his heart was now shattered into a million pieces, stomped on, and blown away. He couldn't feel anything anymore but an empty void in his chest.

Annabeth gripped his hand tighter but it didn't bring any comfort to him anymore. He felt like a cheater, considering he was now betrothed to someone else and his relationship with Annabeth didn't, couldn't matter anymore.

He couldn't bear to think of what would happen if he denied Poseidon's wishes, of what would happen to him, or worse, Annabeth. Who knows what cruel fate would befall upon them by the River Styx, who even gods took seriously. And he also knew that he loved Annabeth with all his heart to not want her to suffer any consequences that were meant for him. He would do anything, anything, for Annabeth, even if it meant giving her up for her safety.

"Percy?" Annabeth asked, as if she sensed the change in him.

Percy looked up to stare into Annabeth's bright, wisdom filled eyes. He gently lifted a finger to brush a stray blonde hair away from her face and kissed her forehead tenderly. Then he turned back to Zeus. "I really don't have a choice, do I?" he murmured.

Annabeth gasped beside him.

"Is there nothing we can do?" Jason asked, interrupting. "Anything at all?"

"Maybe we could try finding loopholes in the will," Nico suggested. "Or we can face the dam consequences..."

Zeus shook his head. "We must honor Poseidon's wishes. His last wishes in fact."

Amphitrite shook her head at Zeus and turned to Percy. "It's your call, Perseus."

Percy sighed. "I'm sorry," Percy said, to his friends, and to Annabeth who was trying her best not to show any sign of vulnerability but her bottom lip wobbled slightly. "I don't like this, I hate this, but my father did this for a reason," he murmured. "And I have to honor his wishes no matter how much I hate this. Sylvia has agreed, I have to agree with her."

"We need to leave now," Zeus said. "As soon as possible, to Atlantis."

Percy just nodded numbly. Did he make the right choice? Or rather, did he even have a choice at all?

Annabeth flung her arms around his and buried her face in the crook of his neck one last time, hugging him tightly. Then, she whispered in his ear, "Find the killer, and make him pay for everything," she murmured and let him go. Then, she turned and fled, never looking back once.

Percy stared after her as she ran, his eyes never leaving her until she was gone. Then, he turned to Nico who stood still in shock, unsure of what to do, Piper whose eyes were brimmed with tears and Jason. Jason stood firm, his eyes burning with rage and sympathy for his best friend.

Percy walked up to him. "Look out for Annabeth for me," he said and Jason gave a short laugh.

"You know she's capable of taking care of herself," Jason said, and immediately pulled his best friend into a tight hug. They stayed that way for a few seconds before pulling apart.

Percy nodded solemnly. "I know," he said, staring into space. "But everyone has a breaking point."

And Percy couldn't help thinking, as he left with Zeus and Amphitrite, that maybe that sentence was meant more for him than anyone else.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 47.1K 130
asphodel tran is like a perfectly still pool of water: calm, cool, with hidden depths underneath a smooth surface. as a daughter of thanatos, she wor...
499K 11.7K 41
(#1 halfblood 14-08-2018) (#1 Darkpercy 18-10-2018) (#1 pjofandom 29-12-2019) No matter who you are, what you are, if you've done a crime, you must...
70K 2.4K 111
Y/N L/N, is a thirteen year old Demi-god with a destiny to defeat something a gazillion times more powerful than him. to make things worse he has eas...
15.5K 212 13
Percy and Annabeth have a great future planned out. That is until Percy is killed in the Giant war. Annabeth is devastated. Why her? Percy told her t...