The Obscure Downsides of Fame

By Obscunima

☀︎︎Featured on Wattpad's @NA and @FreeTheLGBT☀︎︎ * this is the original first draft. The rewrite is now also... More

a c h i e v e m e n t s
0 // Author's Note
1 // touring
2 // music videos
3 // a waste
4 // let's meet
5 // drop it
6 // interesting
7 // crowded
8 // get out
9 // out of love
10 // text?
11 // uhm, Saturday?
12 // back on the radar
13 // marionette
14 // questions
15 // common misconception
16 // one of a kind
17 // the usual
18 // doesn't mean anything
19 // so damn lucky
21 // I'll figure it out
22 // Kylan fucking Madden
23 // rollercoaster
24 // friends
25 // everything about you
26 // naive
27 // a secret girlfriend
28 // say it
29 // feelings
30 // only if you're into that
31 // fraud
32 // he'll come back
33 // speechless
34 // ghosting
35 // I'm really sorry
36 // a complicated guy
37 // habitually happy
38 // fucked up together
39 // better together
40 // you're definitely something
41 // teeny tiny tipsy
42 // long time no speak
43 // I'm boooored
44 // don't forget about me
45 // man-child
46 // Mercury
47 // I fell down a rabbit hole
48 // bad reality TV
49 // my boyfriend wrote it
50 // it should be magical
51 // just write more
52 // just you and me
53 // burn it down
54 // I promise you forever
55 // Dimple Cheek and Prince Charming
56 // please don't leave
57 // enemies to lovers
58 // unfiltered
59 // fan fiction
60 // Nolan in a nutshell
61 // to be closer to you
62 // on purpose
63 // cookies
64 // a puppy
65 // Commoners
66 // better depressed
67 // crash
68 // put yourself first
69 // the semantics
70 // the little things
72 // we don't need words
73 // independent
74 // a first impression
75 // the love expert
quick little update

20 // mildly attractive

356 22 17
By Obscunima

CHAPTER TWENTY
mildly attractive
•••

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

I got that god damn part.

The part that will get me back in the industry, because no one else fucking wants me right now.

The movie is shit though. It's quite literally a piece of crap.

My phone rang and I picked up without even looking at the caller ID. I'd do anything to procrastinate reading that god forbidden script.

"Hi there," Oakley's low voice echoed from my phone. I laid back on my bed, staring at the boring white ceiling.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" I asked. He let out a low chuckle, which made me smile.

"I don't know. You've just got a nice voice to listen to."

I couldn't help it. I blushed. I know he didn't mean it in that way, but being complimented by a guy that's at least mildly attractive automatically just does something to me. And then there's the part where he's definitely more than mildly attractive.

Compose yourself, Nolan.

"Well, did anything interesting happen today?" I asked.

"Told my manager I was kinda done with the teenage heartthrob era and want to go in a different direction. Just one more EP and I'll be free to do whatever."

I could hear from the way he talked how big he was grinning. His smile is so contagious that it made mine grow from the other side of the line.

"How are things at your end of fame, Noles?"

"Noles?"

"Trying something new," he said.

"Well, not as great as you. Gotta do this shitty film to get back on track. But filming won't take too long. I hope I'm done in two months."

"Hmm. The guy who advices me to do what makes me happy, doesn't do what makes him happy. Interesting," he said. "You know, if you've got time, you could come and visit me at the studio."

I wanted to come and visit him at the studio. And I was about to say yes. But than I looked back at my chest where my script was lying so peacefully. I still had to read that shit.

"Ah fuck," I sighed. "Still got to read this shitty script."

"Oh," he said, his voice dropped at least an octave. "Well, good luck I guess?"

Shit. I didn't want to disappoint him.

"Well, ma- maybe we can hang out some other time?" I offered— a bit too fast. Fuck.

And why was it getting hotter in my room?

"Whenever you've got time," he said. "Just let me know." His voice clear, light. It literally felt like a weight was dropped off my shoulders. And I was back to smiling in no time.

"So whats the movie about?" he asked after a moment of silence.

"Well it's not that shitty," I started with a sigh. "It's just something I've seen a million times before. This girl is set up by her family to date this guy because they're family friends or some shit. They decide to fake date to prove to their families it won't work out."

"And let me guess: it does work out?"

"Exactly. I'm supposed to be 'the guy'."

"Okay it does score quite high on the shit-o-meter."

"The shit-o-meter?" I couldn't help but chuckle at the term. "Creative with words, I see?"

"I'm a songwriter. I have to be," he replied.

There was a bit of silence. Not awkward, but definitely not comfortable either.

"Nolan?" Oakley started after a little. His voice was still as gentle and calm as it was before.

"Yeah?"

"I was wondering why you're still doing that movie," he asked. "I don't want to be uhm, like invasive or anything. I just thought you told me to like... not do that?"

I never really thought about it. Why was I doing this again?

"I mean, I guess part of life is doing things you don't really like," I said. "As long as it gets you to where you want to be."

I didn't realize the truth in the words until I actually spoke them. I guess that was the reason.

"Oh that makes sense. Like how I'm going on that tour," Oakley said. "And I guess that means Mason was maybe somewhat right."

"About what?"

"Taking things a bit more slowly. I mean, I'm not letting him make the decisions for me anymore. But I guess I'll listen to his reasons?"

"Sounds like a plan."

The both of us fell in some weird energy silence again.

"Thank you, Nolan." I could imagine the smile playing on his lips as he thanked me.

"For what?" I asked, a smile spreading on my own face too.

"I don't know. Being wise?" he said. My smile grew wider.

"I'm not that wise. I'm experienced," I said.

"Same thing. Just don't forget to text me this time, okay? I'm not passing up on the chance to hang out with the Wise Nolan Mullen again, okay?"

"Fine," I said. I swear I pulled a face muscle.

"So I'll see you?"

"Definitely," I answered, clasping my phone tighter as if it could disappear any minute.

"Bye, Nolan." And with that, he hung up.

A tiny crush shouldn't be that big of a deal, right?

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hi there again.

How's the social distancing going?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115 18 12
JASON ARCHER: I couldn't love myself anymore. I didn't know how. Not after it was stolen from me. After I drop out of college, I rush back to North C...
173K 5.1K 75
Marc Williams started having some financial problems after his dad's job was cut short, he decided to get a part time job where someone gives him a l...
SAFE (mxm) By Anna Nikol

General Fiction

469K 25.6K 80
A handsome man, obsessed with computers, workout and books, clever, well known for his professional expertise, rich and impressive. David is all of t...
1.1M 52.1K 92
This story is complete ✅ 'I look at the back of the boy, sitting in front of me and his shining tousled hair. Before I can even realize what I'm doin...