The Crown

By chofachofachofa

It was the first thing he saw when his eyes opened for the first time. The glistening, golden glow shining in... More

INTRODUCTION
PART ONE - THE BEGINNING OF THE END
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
PART TWO - AN ATTACK ON SANITY
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
PART THREE - THE END
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
PART FOUR - RECONCILIATION AND HEARTACHES
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
PART FIVE - A CATASTROPHIC HAPPY RESOLUTION
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
lil vote
Epilogue - 1
Epilogue - 2
Epilogue - 3
Epilogue - 4
Epilogue - 5
C O N T E S T
CONTEST (part 2)

Chapter Fourteen

3.2K 105 16
By chofachofachofa

Queen Evelyn stirred the drink in her hand, watching the small whirlpool form inside the glass. King Marcus stared at her from the opposite side of the table, unamused. She refused to speak with him until he and their son had made amends, but neither father nor son had any desire in doing so. 

"Evelyn," Marcus interrupted, startling her. "Speak to me."

"I have already told you all I wish to say," She replied. 

He groaned. "You are in no position to ignore me!"

Evelyn glanced up at her husband, cocking her brow. Slowly, she rolled her eyes, returning back to her drink. 

Sputtered at her actions, Marcus stood quickly from the table. He walked over and stood by her side, towering over her. Unfazed, Evelyn looked straight ahead of her as she resumed her drinking, relaxing in her chair. 

He eyed her hand and reached for her drink, snatching it from her. Prompting a response, Marcus laughed. "You will have your drink once you speak to me."

Evelyn groaned, standing from her chair. She glanced at her stolen drink and sighed. "Fine. I suggest we find Tobias and know about his decision in regards to Princess Lauren. Perhaps this whole ordeal can be solved today once and for all, and I can see my son. It has been weeks, Marcus."

Marcus grunted, setting the drink away from his wife. "I will give him one last chance, Evelyn. Otherwise, I will not turn back on my word again."

She smiled and began walking out of the dining hall, her husband by her side. The two walked up the staircase and toward the prince's bedroom, sure he would be there given he had not been invited for breakfast. 

Marcus looked at the guard posted at the prince's bedroom. The guard bowed and opened the door, announcing their presence. 

As they walked in, Evelyn gasped at the state her son was in. 

Tobias widened his eyes as he watched his parents walk in. He looked down at Beatrice, who was on her knees by his side, cleaning a wound of his. He had been sparring earlier in the arena with Matthew when he was struck in the eye, falling to the floor. In the fall, he cut his knee, which was now bleeding. 

Having been there between shifts, Beatrice quickly offered to tend to him. Not wanting to continue sparring any longer, they retreated to the privacy of his bedroom. 

"Tobias!" Evelyn screeched, rushing to her son's side. "What happened to you?!"

"I fell on the stairs," Tobias lied. "Mother, I will attend to you as soon as I am finished."

"How did one of the guards not see your fall on the stairs, my dear?" She asked, baffled. "My poor son; you had to walk up all alone?"

"I fell last night!" he rushed out. "I awoke this morning and the cut was more severe than I had anticipated. When the servant," he glanced at Beatrice, pained. "had walked in, I asked her to tend to me properly."

"A reasonable person would have called for the doctor," Marcus criticized. 

"Your handsome face," Evelyn complained, holding her son's face in her hands. "How clumsy of you, Tobias!"

"Enough, Mother," Tobias complained himself, holding her wrists and pushing her away. 

As Evelyn took a step back, she watched as Tobias reached gently for the servant's hands, helping her off her knees. Evelyn glanced up at her husband, relieved he was paying no attention to them. She watched her son look worriedly to the young woman, who glanced up at him quickly. She took a step back and bowed, stepping to the side. 

A guard walked into the bedroom, bowing once more. "A carriage has arrived for you, my prince."

Marcus turned to the guard.

"Who is it?" Evelyn asked. 

"Princess Lauren, your Majesty," the guard replied, bowing once more before exiting.

Evelyn glanced up at her husband, who smiled back at her. He had most certainly orchestrated it, hoping to coax Tobias into spending more time with the princess in an effort to speed up their courting. 

"Do manage to get yourself the least bit presentable for the princess," Marcus sneered as he made his way to the door. 

Tobias glanced at his father, disgusted he had spoken to him. Marcus smiled happily at his son's misfortune as he left the bedroom. 

Evelyn reached for Beatrice's hands. "Thank you for caring for the prince," she whispered. "We shall leave you to continue your duty."

Beatrice bowed, lowering her head to avoid her pained expression. 

Evelyn left the bedroom, rushing to join her husband and greet the princess. 

Left alone, Tobias painfully looked to Beatrice. "Please, I-"

Beatrice looked up at him, which made him cease from speaking. One look at how betrayed she appeared was more than enough to know she was hurting.

"I don't know what to say," she whispered. 

Tobias reached for her hands, enclosing them in his own. He lifted them, pressing a long kiss to her skin. "I am forced to join and entertain her. It is nothing more than that."

Beatrice shakily looked away from him. "It's out of your control, right?" she glanced back and sighed, removing her hands from his grasp. "You shouldn't keep her waiting."

"I do not care for that stupid princess," he said, looking into her eyes. "The only person I care about is you, Beatrice."

Although she knew his words to be true, the reality hurt much worse. Beatrice turned around, twiddling her fingers. 

"Beatrice..." he repeated softly, nearing her. 

"I know," she replied, looking back at her. "Please, Tobias. I do not wish for you to get into more trouble with your father."

Tobias reluctantly stepped away from her, heading to the door. He opened it and paused, looking at her, but she had turned away. He regretfully walked through and left, pained at the sight of Beatrice in such a state.

Beatrice glanced at the now closed door and press her hand to her heart, closing her eyes as tears fell from her eyes. She closed her mouth and sunk against the wall, covering her eyes with her hands.

That stupid, wretched princess, Tobias cursed as he stormed toward the garden. I wish for nothing more than to turn her away and never see her again. Her presence has only caused the one person I care for consistent harm.

He angrily pushed the doors to the garden, not even waiting for the guards to do it themselves. He spotted the princess sitting at their usual meeting spot, caressing the fabric of her dress. Lauren looked up and stood, curtseying to the prince.

Tobias glanced at her before continuing to walk. Confused as to why he did not offer his arm for her to wrap her own around, Lauren picked the front of her dress and quickly rushed after him.

"Prince Tobias? Is everything alright?" she asked, her heels preventing her from truly catching up with him. 

Tobias did not respond, fuming from anger. As he walked through the garden, he stopped abruptly, hearing Lauren sigh in relief. He turned to her and walked her away. "I do not wish to be in the garden today. We will walk by the stables instead."

The stables? Lauren complained silently. She complied publically, nodding in agreement. 

As they reached the stables, Lauren tried to cover her disgust as the smell of manure filled her senses. She looked up to see the prince was unbothered, lost in thought. She sighed and reached for his arm, startling him. 

"Will we not speak to each other today?" She asked.

As if I ever do any of the talking, Tobias mocked. "Did you have something in mind."

Lauren nodded. "Actually, I wanted to thank you for your letter. It has left my heart fluttering ever since I received it."

Tobias furrowed his brows. I never sent her any letter; it must have been my father. What ever did he write to her? "What about it?"

She scoffed in disbelief, thinking he was joking. "Oh, my prince, no need to be so humble," she stepped forward near to him before quickly pressing her mouth against his. 

Panicked, Tobias pushed her away from him. "Lauren!"

"I do not understand you!" she replied. "You can not possibly blame me for finally kissing you! I am in love with you, and you refuse to show me any kind of intimacy! You barely even offer me your hand without grunts!" she sighed. "Your actions contradict greatly your heart stopping words."

Tobias did not reply, looking back at her.

Lauren approached him once more. "Do not be so shy with me, my dear prince. You need not worry any longer; I have accepted your offer."

He furrowed his brows. "Offer?"

"Of marriage, my betrothed," she smiled, holding his hand. "You have made me the happiest princess in the world."

His head spun. 

Tobias released himself from her hold, stepping away. Beginning to lose his breath, he turned and ran away from her, ignoring her calls. He ran toward the castle and burst through the doors, frantically searching for any sign of his parents. 

He barged into his father's bureau, startling both his parents. He noticed that Lauren's father was present as well, sitting across from his own father.

Marcus looked up at him and smiled devilishly, knowing exactly what had put his son in such a panicked state. He enjoyed the sight.

"Tobias!" Evelyn scolded. "Be careful when you enter a room!"

Marcus laughed, earning a glare from his son. "Oh, Evelyn, do not pester the boy. He is only bursting with excitement," he chuckled. "Lauren's father has just told me the great news of your proposal, Tobias. They received your letter and came straight away."

Tobias' hands shook as he stared down his father, wanting desperately to run and grab him by the collar. Evelyn looked between the two and faltered in her seat, understanding quickly the situation that arose. 

"My daughter could not be happier," Lauren's father beamed. "I hope you do not mind that I told your parents; I was far too ecstatic when we arrived."

Marcus laughed forcibly. "No need for an apology, my dear friend. My son surely did not tell us because he awaited anxiously for the princess's answer."

Please, do not let this be real, Tobias repeated over and over to himself, clenching his fist to prevent tears from streaming down his face. 

Evelyn looked to her son, pained by his betrayed expression. She longed to stand and comfort him, but she knew she could not; why would Tobias need comforting if he had asked for Lauren's hand in marriage? The scene would not play well with their guest.

Tobias looked to his mother, knowing a tear had shed. 

"Go be with your fiancee, Tobias," Marcus spoke. 

Tobias turned and left the room. The anger within him boiled, pouring out of him. He glanced at the door leading to the stables and turned away quickly, running in the other direction.

He stumbled down the flight of stairs and nearly crashed into a door. He knocked quickly, his hands shaking. 

Beatrice opened the door and her heart sunk at the sight. Tears streamed down his face as Tobias reached for her face and held it, pushing her inside. He leaned in quickly to kiss her, sighing at the feel of her lips on his. 

She clutched his sleeve, holding to his arms. The saltiness from his continuous tears stained their kiss as he pulled away, looking into her eyes. 

"I am so sorry, Beatrice," he cried out, holding her face tighter. He lowered his head to her, tears falling to the ground. "I am so sorry."

Beatrice painfully reached for his hands, which only made him fall to the floor. 

Tobias dropped to his knees and wrapped his arms around her, his head against her stomach, as he cried into her.

Marrying Lauren would not be the worst thing in the world, Tobias told himself, clutching to the woman he loved tighter. Losing Beatrice would

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66 0 1
Tobias and Tris Eaton, a lively married couple of a year. Their lives were perfect. Neither of them could have be happier. Until one fateful day shat...
3M 127K 42
She was the type to stare herself in the mirror and see someone else stare back. Someone who was free and light, being able to spread her wings like...
347K 7.8K 38
After Allegiant, tris wakes up and figures out she never died, but everyone thinks she was, she was simply in a comma for a year then tested on for a...
3K 112 9
Disclaimer: I don't own the Divergent Series. Once upon a time a handsome prince fell in love with a brave trainee. He was her instructor, but wanted...