Till The Clock Strikes Gone

By iyahartwrites

❝In class, you said I reminded you of someone. Who is she?❞ ❝My wife. You remind me of my wife.❞ ... More

|| foreword ||
PART ONE
letters to Eliza : ONE
o1 | maybe
o2 | turn of the tables
o3 | darling
o4 | a gift
o5 | find me
PART TWO
letters to Eliza : TWO
o6 | moonvale
o7 | the man from the future
o9 | no more his
10 | yes?
PART THREE
letters to Eliza : THREE
11 | William Ray
12 | little witch
13 | a helping hand
14 | beautiful
15 | a stranger so own
PART FOUR
letters to Eliza : FOUR
16 | gone forever
17 | fantasy
18 | dear Eliza
19 | unstable
20 | never
PART FIVE
letters to Eliza : FIVE
21 | love
22 | stay
23 | ignis aurum probat
24 | future
25 | doomed
PART SIX
letters to Eliza : SIX
26 | my heart
27 | lover at your door
28 | my only love
29 | faith
30 | a christmas tale
PART SEVEN
letters to Eliza : the last letter
31 | drug of the night
32 | always yours
33 | conflicted
34 | never leave my view
35 | the time machine
36 | brave for love
37 | letters
38 | oblivion
39 | moonshine
40 | the return
a letter to William
41 | James
42 | home
epilogue: the boy
BONUS One: Peace
|| afterword ||
NEW BOOK | Behind Your Walls

o8 | a memory of her

13.6K 832 122
By iyahartwrites

William watched his father-in-law as the man poured two cups of coffee and stirred the liquid with a spoon. The kitchen that sheltered them was a quiet place with just the two men staring at each other as one stood at the counter and the other occupied a chair.

Harvey Scott, in his late forties, was nothing like the man William knew. He was so much younger and unlike the father-in-law he knew, this person didn't even slouch. Not in the last. His jet black hair was neatly combed and his silk robe looked like it had just been brought. The air around him had a hint of warning for William which the latter tried best to cope with. Harvey's jaw ticked continuously and his eyes were deeply concentrated, on the coffee or William, the man from the future wasn't sure.

When he woke up, he had thought for a moment he was back in his bed and all of that was just a crazy dream but when his hand instinctively touched his chest where Eliza always laid her head, he was startled to come in contact with his clothing, something that he never wore to bed. Then he saw this man and instantly recognized him as Harvey Scott, only a younger Harvey Scott. William couldn't believe at first but when he checked the calendar, he was taken aback. He was indeed in the past and he had to stay calm.

Harvey handed a mug to William and he took it while passing a small smile to Harvey. He took a sip from his cup and the warmth and taste rushed through his body, filling him with a gentle calmness.

"Thank you," William said and Harvey nodded, looking at the floor.

He hadn't spoken much ever since he understood that William was telling the truth and William wondered what he must be thinking of him.

"You should get some rest," Harvey said, taking his guest by surprise.

William placed the coffee mug back on the counter.

"I can't. I need to go home," he said softly, staring at his coffee.

"But I don't have any Time Machine," Harvey said and the sincerity in his eyes made William believe that Harvey was telling the truth. He closed his eyes, trying to let the words sink in.

He had no home.

"Where will I go?" William asked Harvey, his voice breaking from all the emotions that he was feeling.

"Come with me, bring your coffee."

William stood up and followed Harvey out of a door in the kitchen. The chill night air instantly hit him and he covered his arms, shivering with cold. Harvey Scott led him out of the backdoor of his house to a small hut that was built in the backyard, hardly five feet away, leaving a patch of garden grass in the middle. It was a rusty looking structure which looked like it had been made in the 13th century or earlier. Harvey climbed on the porch and very slowly opened the door. When the door was opened, he ushered William inside.

Stepping in, William was greeted by a mess, a mess like no other. The room was filled with dust and cobwebs. In one corner, lay a small bed and on the other, there was a desk filled with all kinds of papers and writings that seemed like equations which were pasted all around the wall and on a blackboard. William took it all in and gulped at the sight.

"You can stay here," Harvey said and William turned to look at him. "For tonight and then we will see."

"This place stinks," he commented without taking the time to check his words.

"I know. It's my workplace. But here's the thing, boy, there aren't many people who show up at someone's doorstep and claim to be family from the future," Harvey spoke and William nodded quickly, feeling ashamed of his words.

Harvey was right. If he was in Harvey's place, he would have already thrown William out. It was a mercy that Harvey believed in Time travel and other cosmic theories.

"Can I use your shower and get some clothes?" he asked, his cheeks red with embarrassment. The sufferings of poverty had never been William Ray's concern. He had been born and brought up well but now he felt what millions felt in this world every second - sad.

Harvey looked at him and William never felt so small in his entire life like he felt at that moment in Harvey's gaze.

"Sure," Harvey said after a while. "But make sure to get out before my daughter shows up. She will freak out if she sees a stranger in the house. Come with me, I will give you some clothes and a water bottle to survive the night."

His daughter, the one who William had worshipped numerous times in the shower — now he would be a stranger to her.

William stepped out and followed Harvey back into the house.

***

William was lying on the small bed. He had taken a shower and was wearing fresh clothes that Harvey lent him - a blue T-shirt and sweatpants. The clothes were small on him but at least they were clean. For the last hour, he had made some futile attempts to sleep, but sleep was far from all the thoughts that were going on in his head. Instead, he got up, placed his feet on the floor and put his head on his hands.

A turmoil of emotions destroyed him from within and out of all that, the want to see a familiar face ached the most. He picked up the flask that Harvey had given him and took a sip. Just then, he heard the sound of a car stopping and moments later, a giggle.

A giggle he was very familiar with.

He got up and moved towards the small window that provided an outside view. Opening the curtains, he peered out. He saw a car parked with the passenger side door open and then he saw a figure and later, two figures. They were almost on the hood of the car and the boy was whispering something to the girl. He couldn't see their faces but then the girl laughed and his heart skipped.

Eliza. It was Eliza. He would recognize that voice anywhere.

He stuck his head out the window to get a glimpse of her. He could see almost everything, somewhat clearly and that upset him because the scene wasn't pleasant. Eliza laughed again as the boy continued whispering in her ear and then, just as William was about to get his head back in, not able to sustain the view, the boy grabbed Eliza by her waist and placed her on the hood of the car. He stood between her legs and caressed her neck. William clenched his fist as he watched them.

The boy leaned in to kiss Eliza and she pulled him closer and William could almost hear her moan as the boy's lips left hers only to place kisses along her jaw and on her neck. He grabbed her waist tighter, pulling her closer until they were both pressed against each other. Eliza's legs moved to wrap themselves around the boy's hips as she started unbuttoning his shirt while placing a kiss on his neck. The boy's eyes closed in pleasure at the action and he kissed her again, slowly travelling down. Even in his limited view, he could see the boy's head reaching Eliza's chest and saw him grind against her.

William's blood boiled with rage and he wanted to kill the boy for touching who had once been his. He looked around the room and found just the thing to break them away from each other. He picked up the board from the wall that had the science formulas written on it and dropped it, with force enough to grab anyone's attention at a distance of about ten feet. He quickly rushed back to the window and was relieved to see the view.

Eliza was back on the ground, straightening the creases on her short dress and the boy was looking around and buttoning back his shirt. William smiled to himself as he heard the door to Eliza's house open and Harvey storming out. He was surprised when Harvey first looked at him then at his daughter and before Eliza could take a look at the same direction, Harvey signalled with his hands for William to get in. William followed Harvey's orders, shutting the window quickly, feeling proud of himself and went back to the bed.

Never had the sound of an engine storming to life felt like an angel's song to him. It echoed victory and in that victory, there was a call — a call for home.

The boy was all over Eliza. He wondered what would have happened if he hadn't stopped them. He couldn't believe why he felt jealous. Eliza was a teenager at this time; it must have been her boyfriend. It wasn't like he was in love with his future wife but something about Eliza told him that she belonged in the arms of William Ray and he was surprised to even think that his thoughts were headed in such a direction.

But he had his reasons, it was all Eliza's fault; she always behaved like she was his, even though he never told her that. She kept telling him that she loved him and he had felt it. Felt her love and he was sad that he wasn't able to reciprocate it which had ultimately led to the resolute decision to seek separation.

(and all you have to do is never leave my view)

The tables had turned. She was not his anymore but he couldn't wait to go home and tell her what a stupid adventure he had had. He could see how happy she would be to see him. Sure, she was upset but she was in love with him and he was proud of that. Eliza Ray would throw her arms around him and shower him with kisses. Maybe she would even apologize for throwing him out.

He couldn't help but drift into Eliza's thoughts and his mind took him to the night they first consummated their marriage.

It wasn't planned. He was just back home after being in a fight with one of his two, three friends. The guy, Kevin, had taunted him for being married to a woman he didn't even know and how he was still a Mama's boy. The drunk William was, he punched Kevin and the latter hit him back. William fell and hit his head on the counter. He felt a sheer burn in a corner of his forehead and when he touched the place, he realized that he was bleeding. The bastard had injured him. Kevin instantly apologized and wanted to take him to the hospital but William ignored him and drove back home.

When he got home, he stumbled, but before he could fall, he found his wife holding his arm and helping him to one of the stools on the kitchen island. He watched her as she made him sit and then opened one of the cabinet drawers to take out a first aid box. She opened it and took out a ball of cotton and antiseptic, and moved to stand before William.

William stared at her as she stood between his legs, his head almost reaching her chest as she tended to his wound. Her face looked sad; something in his heart pinched to see that beautiful face without a smile. He winced as she slowly pressed the cotton to his wound. He observed how pretty she was. Her face was as innocent as the moon and the white dress she wore made her look like an angel from heaven.

"What happened, William?" she asked.

William didn't know if it was because he was drunk or something else but his name from her mouth felt so hot that he found heat rushing down his body and he was afraid that she would notice.

"Nothing," he said softly, not leaving her eyes and he found her blush as he took a strand of her hair and tucked it behind her ear. His gaze moved down her body to her legs and he caressed a lazy finger on her skin, trailing it from her knees to her hip. She shivered as she finished dressing his wound but before she could leave, he grabbed her by her hips to prevent her movement. She gasped and he kept looking at her. He could hear the fast beating of her heart and when she blushed, he couldn't take it anymore.

He lifted her by her waist and placed her on his lap, her legs on either side of his. She wrapped her arms around his neck and looked at him as she bit her bottom lip, waiting for him to say something. He broke his stare and in one swift movement, captured her lips with his.

Her lips were soft, warm and delicious. He didn't know how to describe the taste because the kiss tasted like her. That's what the taste was, her - innocent yet addictive. He bit her bottom lip and she moaned, opening her mouth and giving him access to her tongue. He explored every inch of her mouth and then rose, still holding her to him as he carried her to the hall, and placed her on the couch before positioning himself on top of her.

His lips trailed kisses from her jaw to the soft spot behind her ear and she moaned, digging her nails on his back. He groaned as he felt himself getting harder with each passing second and then, he was intoxicated when he got to finally taste her where he had wanted her the most - from the sensitive spot on her neck to the heat between her legs until they were both exhausted and he collapsed on top of her. With their skin drenched in sweat and the smell of sex filling the room, he rolled to his side, turning her naked body along with him and rested her on top of him, her head on his chest. They slept for hours and that was the only day Eliza didn't wake up early in the morning.

He remembered how they got rid of each others' clothes.

Slowly.

One by one.

William smiled as the memory consumed his mind and soon, he was off to sleep.

(and all you have to do is never leave my view)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.5K 3K 81
Year 2095, couples are now decided and set by the Marriage Matchmaker application, and any other romantic interaction besides this match is strictly...
246K 10.2K 58
What happens when we put together two workaholics with their hearts closed to love? Eleanor, a clumsy twenty-two-year-old, had everything in her lif...
247K 11.6K 35
[2021 WATTYS SHORTLIST] A year ago, Natasha packed her bags and hopped on the first train out of her hometown in Hampshire, England, leaving behind a...
18.7K 1.6K 40
**A Romance, Teen Fiction, and YA Featured Novel** Worlds collide when a formerly overweight teen befriends a blinded football player and is forced t...