The Crown

Da chofachofachofa

It was the first thing he saw when his eyes opened for the first time. The glistening, golden glow shining in... Altro

INTRODUCTION
PART ONE - THE BEGINNING OF THE END
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
PART TWO - AN ATTACK ON SANITY
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
PART THREE - THE END
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
PART FOUR - RECONCILIATION AND HEARTACHES
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
PART FIVE - A CATASTROPHIC HAPPY RESOLUTION
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
lil vote
Epilogue - 1
Epilogue - 2
Epilogue - 3
Epilogue - 4
Epilogue - 5
C O N T E S T
CONTEST (part 2)

Chapter Eleven

3.4K 101 11
Da chofachofachofa

Evelyn stirred awake, looking around at her surroundings. She groaned at the feel of the mattress below her, burying her face in her pillow. 

 She turned and saw one of her handmaids nearby, waiting patiently for her to wake up. She beckoned her over with her finger. 

"Your Majesty," the handmaid greeted, curtseying. 

"Where is my husband?" Evelyn asked groggily. 

"He wished to leave you to sleep in peace, my queen."

She groaned once more, sitting straight up. "Has breakfast been served?"

The queen's handmaids were much used to this usual line of questions. The queen often woke up in a hazy state, forgetting her previous actions. Depending on the day and how much she had to drink, she could very well end up sleeping through the day and passing out at night once more. 

"It's little after two, my queen. Should I have breakfast brought up?"

Evelyn hid her surprise. "No," she groaned. "Could you have my son brought to my bedroom? I feel as if it has been ages since I last saw him."

The handmaid nodded and walked out the door, alerting one of the guards to fetch the prince. Evelyn stood and wobbled toward a chair, groaning at the increasing headache forming in her head. She glanced back and noticed her other handmaid, beckoning her over. 

"Go fetch me a drink, please," the queen asked.  

As the handmaid rushed out to deliver the order, Evelyn relaxed into her chair. She looked up and watched the sun beam onto her face, groaning at the increasing headache. She stood and pulled the curtains closed, sighing at the darkness in the room. 

The handmaid returned with a drink in her tray, along with pills in a separate cup. Evelyn reached for the pills and the drink, tossing both in her mouth. She sighed at the beginning feeling of relief, starting to feel better little by little. 

The door opened once more as Tobias entered. His face was still stained with tears from his encounter with his parents earlier, but one look at his mother assured she would have no recollection whatsoever. 

"You called for me, mother?" Tobias asked slowly.

"Son, why have I not seen you in so long? Are you avoiding your parents?" she asked obliviously.

"No, mother. Father has requested I stay away from the dining hall until my marriage arrangements with Princess Lauren are finalized."

"Oh," Evelyn laughed. "Well, that is no hard task. When will you make it official with the princess?"

"I do not wish to marry the princess," he answered. It feels as if I have to repeat that sentence billions of times a day, he complained. 

Evelyn sighed. "I do not understand why you do not wish to make your life easier by gaining a wife."

Tobias glanced at his mother. Does she think she has made my father's life easier? She passes out drunk constantly and, according to him, she gave him an unwanted son. "I am young enough to be patient while courting."

Evelyn laughed once more, taking a sip of her drink. "Do you not see how your father longs to go into retirement? His mistakes seem to be piling up by the day."

Tobias glared at the two handmaids still present in the room, waving them away. They smirked at one another, turning around and rushing out of the room. He sighed and walked over to his mother, sitting at the chair by her side. 

"Father will throw a fit if he learns I am in your bedroom," he said.

"It is my bedroom too," she reminded. "Pay no importance to your father. He only wants what is best for you, my dear."

He shook his head. "Mother, I will not succumb to another one of father's orders. I am tired of always having to obey his every command!"

"He is more than simply your father. He is your King. You would do well to respect him," she said sternly. "You will make all our lives easier if you carry out with this marriage."

He scoffed and stood. "And what if I do not?"

Evelyn stood with him. "You will not enjoy the consequences."

Tobias huffed as he and his mother stared at each other. 

The bedroom door opened as a guard walked in. He bowed to both of them.

"My prince, a carriage from Lord Pedrad has just arrived."

Tobias groaned, taking a deep breath. He glared at his mother before walking past her and back out the door. 

Evelyn settled back in her seat and rubbed her temple. 

Tobias angrily stormed down the stairs toward the foyer he and his friends usually met in. At no surprise, Zeke and Uriah stood at Tobias' entrance. They bowed, eager to spend time with him. Tobias paid them little attention as he sat in his chair, watching them sit beside him. 

Zeke's smile faltered at the sight of his best friend's obviously angered state. "Is everything alright, Tobias?"

He shook his head. "I am trapped in a prison!" he exclaimed. "I am bound by my father's restraints and my mother's hypocrisy at every corner I turn."

Uriah worriedly looked over at his brother, surprised at the outburst. He slowly inched closer to him. "Did something happen?"

Tobias scoffed. "Have you ever had the privilege of spending a most wonderful night, only to have it ruined by people who aim to destroy your happiness?"

Zeke's eyes widened. He urged Uriah to leave them be, to which the brother accepted with no opposition. Zeke reached out and touched his best friend's shoulder, which only made him recoil. 

"Please tell me what happened, my dear friend," Zeke asked. 

Tobias looked up at him. "Answer my question."

"Truth be told, I do not think I can," Zeke sat beside him. "Is this about your parents and their persistence in your courting?"

"Yes."

"I understand they urge you to follow into marriage arrangements with the princess, right? Yet, I have a feeling that the most wonderful night you speak of was not with her."

Tobias scoffed and looked up at him once more. "I have finally met someone who I feel incredibly comfortable talking with - being with - but am constrained by societal restraints."

Zeke sighed. "Tobias, tell me who it is. Perhaps the situation is not as dire as you think of it. I am certain your father would agree to another proposed marriage. You have always told me how highly he thinks of those who can grant the kingdom with sums; there must certainly be a way to bring you happiness."

"Do not be so foolish, Zeke, in thinking my father would accept any idea that was not his own," he faltered. "Not as if it were matter, anyway. The person I find comfort in would never be accepted."

Zeke tried to mask his growing anxiety. He recalled Tobias telling him of his affair with a servant, but was unsure he would make the same mistake twice. Even as a lower ranked person in society than his best friend, Zeke knew there was no possibility of marrying a person ranked so low.

"Is it a servant?" he finally asked.

Tobias glanced at him. His silence was all but a verbal confirmation.

Zeke sighed, rubbing his forehead. "This is quite the sticky predicament, Tobias. You are the crown prince."

"A title I never wanted," he replied. 

"Be realistic for a moment; do you see yourself even having a future with this girl?"

"Would it make me this upset if I did not?" he countered.

Zeke groaned, sitting back down. "What does this mean for the future of the crown? That anyone could associate and become a member of the royal family? Is this the image you want to give to the kingdom?"

Tobias looked at him. "Why should the image be of infiltration rather than their prince finally happy."

Zeke shook his head in disbelief. "You can not possibly state you would be happy with this girl already. You hardly know her. You are sending yourself in spirals of depression without any knowledge of what tomorrow might hold! She might be sent away and the whole affair would be forgotten by next month!"

"It is not just about her," Tobias groaned. "It is about this life of no choice! My father is controlling every aspect of my life. I have to ascend the throne because of his mistakes!"

"While I am glad you have found yourself a ..." he cringed. "... companion to share your thoughts with, I highly recommend you cease any thoughts about a proper future with her," he shrugged. "Hell, even make her one of your mistresses while married to Lauren!"

Tobias stood and walked away from Zeke, his head swarming. 

"Tobias, do not make such a foolish mistake over one wonderful night," Zeke said. 

The prince paused at his best friend's words, repeating them over in his mind. While they disagreed on Beatrice's important in his life, Tobias could admit Zeke was right about one thing; he was rushing into the idea of a relationship. 

He knew that this lied with his inability to feel authentic emotional connection to another person. His parents rarely raised him, sending him to be cared for by nannies. Being barred from friendships unless properly approved turned him off to the idea even more. Even the consistent reminder that he was nothing more than his title only made him further realise he would live a life underserving of the attention he craved. 

Yet, Beatrice sought out to hear his thoughts. She stayed and listened to him; not out of duty to the crown, but because she had grown fond of hearing what he had to say. Instead of diverting a look in the prince's face, she looked into his eyes. 

In her, he had finally found the intimacy of another person. 

Zeke looked at how troubled his best friend appeared to be and regretted how harshly he had spoken to him. Slowly, he reached for his shoulder, squeezing it slightly. "I can not begin to understand how you must feel being forbidden to have a future with someone you long for, but I do know that there are certain things in our lives that become overbearing. Your duty as a prince to procure a princess for a bride is far too important to risk."

"You are right in not knowing what the future may hold, my dear friend," Tobias looked at him. "And because that is the case, I know that I would want to spend tonight with her."

Zeke retracted his arm slowly. He nodded, accepting his words. While he would never understand the risk Tobias was prepared to endure, he admired it. He smiled up at his best friend, nodding once more. 

"Alright, Tobias. If it is truly what you so please," he whispered.

Tobias nodded in thanks. "I appreciate your understanding."

Zeke laughed, shaking his head. "I would not say I understand, but I will support you through your decision. You do make her sound like she might be worthwhile."

The foyer doors opened as Uriah walked in. He waved slowly at the two best friends, informing Zeke that they would need to return to the city to continue the business that had planned on doing. 

Zeke wrapped his arms around Tobias, patting his back. They rarely hugged, and when they did, Tobias found himself standing there immobile. In that moment, however, he brought himself to raise his arms and wrap them around Zeke, patting his back. 

The brothers waved goodbye as they left the prince in the foyer all alone. Tobias sighed and sat on a chair, looking up at a portrait hung on the wall of two ancestors of his. A King and Queen, no doubt.

He stood and walked away, smiling. Perhaps I would rather be her husband than she be my queen.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

436K 9.7K 23
♕ beatrice prior is not your typical nineteen year old girl. she's crazy beautiful, all girls want to be her and all boys dream of dating someone nea...
72.9K 1.2K 89
I know Divergent no-war stories have been done countless times, but they can never get old. In this fanfic, we will follow the lives of new Dauntless...
9.5K 317 60
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...
66 0 1
Tobias and Tris Eaton, a lively married couple of a year. Their lives were perfect. Neither of them could have be happier. Until one fateful day shat...