Lost in Captivity (Book 6)

By varzanic

~Book 6 of the Demon Series Three years, and Ranger has nothing. Not even a trail to follow. He’s wandering b... More

Chapter 1: To Hate the Sun
Chapter 3 Headquarters
Chapter 4: One of Rogues
Chapter 5: Barely Above a Sub
Chapter 6: Replacement
Chapter 7: Sons of Rogues
Chapter 8 Must be a Sub Thing
Chapter 9: Part of the Pack
Chapter 10: New Bonds
Chapter 10: New Bonds-private
Chapter 11: Whatever You Say
Chapter 12: Midfield's Special Units
Chapter 13: Fur Fetish
Chapter 14: Don't Kill Him
Chapter 15: Interrogation
Chapter 16: Breaking Point
Chapter 17: A Phone Call
Chapter 18: Safe in His Arms
Chapter 19: All Grown Up
Chapter 19 All Grown Up-private
Chapter 20: Aden
Chapter 21: Learning the Hard Way
Chapter 22: Gorgeous
Chapter 23: Mating Dynamics
Chapter 24: Clever or Childish
Chapter 25: Tormenting the Subs
Chapter 26: Me or Them
Chapter 26: Me or Them-Private Version
Chapter 27: A Lingering Scent
Chapter 28: Call Disconnected
Chapter 29: The Chase
Chapter 30: The Decision
Epilogue

Chapter 2: Wrong One

12.6K 642 43
By varzanic

Chapter 2

Wrong One

~Shiloh

I stared at the large box in front of me and then at the pile that was well above my head. The supervisor started to tap his foot as more boxes slid down the ramp. Slipping my arms beneath it, I found it wasn’t too heavy, but it weighed enough I didn’t know if I could hold it that long above my head. Standing on my toes, I maneuvered it up and carefully lifted it on top of the stack. After sliding it into place, I stood back and took a deep breath. It stayed. Nothing fell.

Turning around, I toppled to the ground when a box came flying off the end of the table and hit me just below the knees. I rose up onto my elbows and stared at the boots in front of me.

“Stupid omega.” The supervisor grabbed my hair and pulled me to my feet. “You’re falling behind.” He shoved me toward the table.

“Sorry, Sir,” I whispered. I quickly grabbed the fallen box and placed it on the empty palette. I kept my head down and did my best not to fall behind again for the next few hours.

The buzzer went off, and I finished off the few packages I had left. I went with the other omegas to the break room. We were handed sack lunches when we entered. I went to the table by the far wall and sat in the corner. Other workers sat down, and we ate in silence. One small female’s arm was bleeding.

A supervisor walked slowly through the tables. He motioned to the girl and two others with injuries. They grabbed their lunches and hurried off to see the medic. The man stopped behind me, but didn’t say a word. I did a quick check, but I didn’t see any blood and besides a headache nothing hurt. Leaning down, he put his arm on either side of me. I held my breath.

The man chuckled softly, before grabbing my arm and scanning the chip in my bracelet with his phone.

“Hmmm…” he whispered. “Wrong one.”

I didn’t breathe, until he was gone. Pulling my arm into my lap, I felt sick. West would yell at me for not finishing my food, but I felt so nauseous I didn’t want to eat anymore.

“Ten minutes,” announced a guard from the door.

I tried to eat more, but my stomach was really turning. One simple act had done this to me. It was over now, but I could let it go. What if I hadn’t been the wrong one? I won’t get to say goodbye to West. I might have never seen him again. Taking in a shaky breath, I clasped my forehead. I never wanted my number to be called. Never.

***

Sitting on my bed after the work day ended, I still felt sick. It had affect my work, and they punished me for it. I couldn’t stop it though. The thought of being taken was draining.

“Shy?”

I glanced up and forced a smile for West.

“Come on.” He nodded toward the door. “They’ll stop serve dinner if you don't hurry up.”

I shook my head and hid behind my knees.

West walked over and sat down at the end. “What happened?” He placed his hand on my back and rubbed soft circles.

“A man took my number,” I whispered. “I thought they were going to...”

West sighed. “I’m sorry, Shy.” He pulled me into a hug and placed his head on top of mine.

I hid my face in his shirt and cried softly.

“Don’t Shy,” he said softly in my ear. “Don’t cry on me. You’re too tough of a wolf for this.”

“I’m sorry,” I piped. “It just really scared me.”

“I know.” He tightened his hold on me and swayed from side to side. “We’ve been together this long, I don’t think they’d separate us now.”

“I’m not like you.” I wiped my face and slowly calmed down. “My bloodline isn’t good, and I’m an omega. They’ll get rid of me to anyone that’ll pay for it.”

“That’s not true,” he replied sternly, glancing toward the door. “It’s not.”

It was though. West know it. He could lie to himself about until the day they did send me away. I prayed that they won’t though. I’d stay an omega forever if meant we could be in the same pack. I rather be a servant than be separated from him. I needed him. I needed him until Ranger came from me.

Leaning against his side, I closed my eyes.

“You’re thinking about him again,” said West.

I nodded. “Do you think he’s still looking for us?”

West scoffed. “Ranger, he’s a possessive jerk with the ego of a typical alpha. Can’t believe he even try to deny his status for so long.”

I peered up at him.

“That means yes, Shiloh,” he said with a smile. “The man had his pride hurt. Like hell is he going to let anyone embarrass him. Not to mention,” he flicked up my chin, “you’re still his mate, Shy. He’ll never stop looking for you. You’re my own hope of getting out of here actually.”

“That’s not true.” I sat up and rubbed the faint mark under my shirt. “It’s faded. I barely can even see it anymore.”

“But it’s still there,” added West quickly. “To Ranger even if you can’t see it, to him it’s still there and always will be. So don’t doubt him.” He leaned back on his arms. “It would hurt the bastard’s feelings if he found out.”

I smiled and sucked in my lips to stop.

“It’s true,” stated West. “Ranger would stomp around all day, muttering to himself with that scowl on his face, snapping at anyone who looked at him.”

I laughed a little. So it was true. My mate had a few anger problems, but he had always been so kind to me. Even when we first met, he had been so sweet. He kept me safe from anyone.

“I miss him,” I said softly, picking at my nails.

West sighed. “Yeah, I miss his heartfelt insults too.”

“West.” I pushed him with my foot.

“What?” He shrugged. “I know his hateful comments were from the heart.”

I covered my mouth, laughing to myself.

“He did fight for us, though,” breathed West, rolling his head to the side. “He was going to take on Northern Ridge for me. I’ll take his crap if it means being his packmate. Besides,” West took a deep breath, “one day he’s going to rescue us from this hellhole.” He glanced at me. “And mate you properly.”

My face lit up. I covered it with my hands and bowed my head. “Don’t.”

“Ahhhh,” West leaned over to me, “did I embarrass you?”

I turned my body away from him. “You’re not funny.”

“Oh Shy,” he sang in my ear. “You know he’s going to. He can’t use the excuse you’re a pup anymore. You’re all grown up now, and look at you.” He grabbed my arm and lifted it above my head. “You’ve gain a few muscles on that wiry frame.”

I yanked it away from him. “Stop it.”

“All I’m saying is you’ve turned into this sexy sub. Ranger won’t be able to help it.”

“West,” I whined. “Stop.”

He laughed. “Shy little Shiloh,” he whispered, laying his head on my shoulder. “One day you’ll get your happily ever after with Ranger.”

I glanced at him. “Do you really think so?”

He nodded. “I know so, because I know your mate.”

Pulling my knees to my chest, I felt the weight in my chest lighten. I really hoped so, I really, really did.

***

~Ranger

I watched the entrance to the bar. He had been a no show the last three nights, but sooner or later he was going to come. He couldn’t be considered a regular if he stayed away much longer.

A group approached the door. I knew one of the scents. With a smirk, I walked toward the entrance.

The guard looked me over. “Pack?”

“Midfield,” I replied.

He backed up and waved me through. I stepped inside and scanned the area. It was an interesting establishment with sub and lower ranked females wander about entertaining guest. I weaved through the crowd to the bar.

“What do you want?” asked the bartender.

I looked at the arrange of bottles. “What’s the point? Alcohol does nothing for us.”

The brown haired man smiled and picked one up. “This would kill a human, gives us a bit of a buzz for an hour or so. Better than nothing, right?”

I shrugged in agreement.

He poured some in a glass and set it in front of me. “Enjoy.” The man moved on to see to other customers.

Grabbing the glass, I swirled the yellow liquid around. The stuff smelt toxic, so I wasn’t surprised it would kill a human. I glanced over my shoulder to see my target getting a lap dance. I’d wait for them to finish before cornering him. Taking a sip of the liquid, I pursed my lips. It was bitter and tasted like shit. I downed the rest, before turning around in my seat.

The woman was moving on as my old packmate tried to get her to stay. He laughed with his friends for a moment, before standing and walking toward the bar. I rose to my feet and moved in.

He placed his order and leaned over the bar.

I sat down on the stool next to him. “You found yourself a pack,” I said calmly.

The werewolf froze and glanced over at me. “Hidden Peak?”

I nodded and motioned to the bartender to bring me another glass. “What’s left of it, after you ran off with August.”

The man swallowed and slowly looked over his shoulder.

“I’d sit down,” I stated. “I’d hate to have to drag you out of here.” I tapped my finger on the counter with a claw forming on the end.

He sunk onto the chair next to me with sweat forming on his forehead. “What do you want?”

“My brother.” I took the glass from the tender and drank half of it. “He stole a couple wolves from me. I want them back.”

“Ranger?” he breathed.

“You remember.” I smiled, keeping my eyes forward. “If you lie to me, I will kill you. I’m not the only one looking for August. Midfield wants him dead and lying would make you a traitor.”

“Look, I parted way with August a long time ago. We were just rogues without Hidden Peak. The pack here gave me a chance, Ranger. I would never do anything that would make them kicking me out. Hell, I worked my ass off to get a middle rank. Spend five years as an omega to prove that I wasn’t a rogue.”

“I don’t really care about your sob story.” I peered over at the man, trembling in his seat. “You abandon Hidden Peak. Left us to die, I have no sympathy for your time as an omega. Just tell me about August.”

The werewolf shrugged. “He was deranged. All he thought about was revenge, but no pack would take us. Traditional aren’t as accepting of outsiders like the civils when it comes to stronger wolf. Too much of a risk for a takeover. They’d chase us out of their territory the moment the caught wind of our scent. We lost a lot of wolves in those mountains.”

“August,” I said firmly. “I just want to know about August.” I tightened my hold on the glass.

“I was with them still when we decided to try joining up with the civils. A few alpha were willing to let us in, but as omegas. August won’t have it. He was a dominant, though; he had more issues than just pride to get over.”

I finished my drink.

“He started coming up with plans to take over a pack. No one would listen. After what Cane did to Hidden Peak, the majority of us won’t go along with it. He killed a couple wolves that wouldn’t listen, and the rest of us fled, before he did the same. From what I remember, only three stayed with your brother. I heard later he joined a rogue pack.” He shook his head. “That was years ago, though. I haven’t heard anything about August since then.”

A cracked sounded, and the glasses shattered in my hand. The man leaned away from me. I looked at my palm as bit of glass fell onto the counter. The skin was already pulling together and pushing out the shards.

My old packmate watched wide eyed. “It’s true then. You became the alpha of Bloodhound. You're in with Northern Ridge and Midfield?”

I nodded and pulled out a large piece of glass. “How do you think I tracked you down? The others didn’t cover didn’t up their past as well as you,” I sighed. “For now, I’ll believe you, but if I catch you lying.” I glanced at his hand clutching the counter. “Well, I will kill you.” I slammed the shard of glass through his hand and twisted it.

The man gasped, but didnt’ dare move. Everyone around us froze as I stood.

I tapped my claw against his skin. “The majority died of starvation and the rest were buried under the snow as we fled looking for food, because the ones who were supposed to take care of them ran away.” I twisted the piece of glass more and watched his face contour in pain. “There are three of us left, because you abandon us. You abandon your family and left them to die. You’re lucky you’re not a rogue.” I released him.

He pulled his hand to his chest.

“Because Hidden Peak doesn’t tolerate rogue, and we especially don’t like traitors.”

Taking out my wallet, I placed some money on the counter. “That stuff was pretty good,” I said to the bartender.

He nodded and just stared at me.

I scanned the room. “Have a good night.” Turning sharply, I left the bar.

Another dead end. Thought for sure this would be the one that will know about August.

***

After parking my car, I crawled out and slammed the door. Leaning back against it, I ran my hand down my face. A month’s worth of investigating to find that little bastard, and he was useless.

“Damn it.” I clenched my fist and withheld the urge to punch something. Taking a deep breath to calm down, I dragged myself into the mansion. I just need a good night sleep and then I start over.

My stomach started growling when I opened the door. I should have stopped somewhere during the drive. I shuffled into the kitchen and flipped on the light. Going to one of the many refrigerators, I opened the door and found some leftover meat. I pulled out the three different kinds and put them on the counter, before starting the search for the bread. After pulling open almost every drawer, I found it.

I sat down and started assembling my sandwich. I heard footsteps against the tile.

Trevor appeared in the doorway. “Do you know what time it is? You’re scaring the help with all this banging.”

“I had a long drive. I was hungry.”

The alpha pulled out a stool beside me and sat down.

He pulled over the food and started making his own sandwich. “You’ve been gone for almost a week. Where’d you go this time?”

“Down south,” I muttered, before taking a bite.

“Any luck.”

“He fled August’s group before my brother went insane. He only told me things I already know. It was a waste of time.”

The alpha sighed and ripped off a piece of his sandwich. He tossed it into his mouth. We ate quietly for a moment.

“What are you going to do now?”

I took a deep breath and sat up straight. “Start looking for a new lead. I don’t know what else to do.”

“Darius called.”

I glared at my hazy reflection in the stainless steel counter. “The answer is no. I won’t go back without Shiloh and West.”

“That’s what I told him.”

Peering over at the alpha, I gave him a confused expression. “Why? Everyone else is telling me to go home. Find a new mate.”

Trevor leaned over the counter. “Because I heard the same thing when Eva died, and it still pisses me off. You don’t need a new mate. No dominant wants a new mate when there’s nothing wrong with the one you have. Nothing can replace a mate. You can’t simply finding a new one. I know that; Darius doesn’t. He still has Storm.” He stretched his arms overhead and stood. “However after you find the boy, then I will tell you go home and lead Bloodhound like you promised.”

I nodded. “I will as soon as I have them back.”

“Then that’s what I’ll tell Darius.” He walked to the door. “Clean this up and remember to turn off the lights.”

“Will do.” I listened to his footsteps as I finished off my sandwich. I made another and just stared blindly off into space. One day, one day I’d find them, as soon as I figured out what the hell I’m doing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1M 258K 72
-Demon Series: Book 1- Aden Perri has problems. The last day of school his girlfriend calls it quits. And proceeds to move on a little...
481K 17.7K 54
Theo is hopelessly in love with his childhood best friend, Kit. At least, he thought it was hopeless, until the Moon blessed him by making Kit his ma...
2.3M 84.5K 59
Daemon is a werewolf. A werewolf who doesn't want to be one. He has everything though, or so it seems. Money and a perfect family. Except his dad is...
312K 12.1K 24
Quinn has a problem. He's got a crush on Daniel Knight, the Head Dominant of The Muse Den. After almost two months of admiring the man from afar and...