Forever | ✓

By AlwaysLostInWords

#11 in Romance - 15.02.2020 ...Sequel to Always. Love's a fool. That was something Serena had learnt a long... More

A/N
Prologue
1. Worst Date Ever
2. Spilt Coffee
3. Happy
4. Small World
5. Him
6. Gone
7. Content
8. A Partnership
9. Fiancé
10. Resolution
11. Invited
12. Birthday Plans
13. Magic
14. Enchanted Party
15. Just Like You
16. Double Date
17. The Dinner
18. Live
19. Julie
20. Friends
21. Exhibition
22. Smile
23. Thoughts
24. Progress
25. Reception
26. Lola
27. Slip Away
28. Okay
29. Peace
30. Hold On
31. Trip
32. Home
33. Her
34. Leap
35. A Fort
37. About Last Night
38. Circles
39. Avoiding Him
40. Bad Liar
41. Confession
42. Realisation
43. You
44. A New Year
45. Sweet Dreams
46. Valentine
47. Hope
48. Sugar
49. Bliss
50. Sunrise
51. Scared
Epilogue - Forever (Part I)
Epilogue - Forever (Part II)
Epilogue - Forever (Part III)
Epilogue - Forever (Part IV)
Author's Note
Bonus Chapter - Hey, Neighbour

36. Fireworks

20.2K 764 405
By AlwaysLostInWords

I was screaming internally when I wrote this chapter and I hope you will too.

I wanted to just skip ahead and publish this, but had to wait and now it's finally time.

So excited!

***

Serena

I was really excited.

Tonight it was Sara's birthday and I planned this for a while with Danny, and now it was finally happening.

It was challenging, since I was living with Sara and Danny, and keeping secrets around Sara was the hardest thing. She seemed to always know something was up and she'd ruin the surprise.

But not this time.

For the last couple of weeks, I had made sure to work with my real estate agent and find a place for myself, which I actually did. It was perfect and affordable.

And since it was empty, it also served as a great place to hide all things for her party or whatever needed to be delivered.

Danny had been planning for Sara's birthday for a long time and now that she was going to have their baby, he was all the more excited to plan this party.

He then recruited my help, which was why I was currently standing in a marquee, giving out orders.

We tried to go big for her birthday, and so we decided to go for an outdoor party, but just in case, we put up a massive marquee tent in case of bad weather.

The inside of the tent was decorated with fairy lights and balloons, with flower petals spread around and tea lights on the tables. There was dance floor in the middle, because Sara loved to dance, and pregnant or not, she would still dance. There was an open bar as well, although that was probably something Sara was going to have to skip - but I had special mocktails selected for her.

The party was supposed to feel warm and intimate, which is why we didn't go overboard on the guest list.

"Those go over there and when you had a moment, could you ask someone to fix the lighting in that corner, please?" I asked one of the staff members I hired for the evening.

"Sure," he said, taking the balloons in his hand to the place where I asked.

I smiled at him gratefully. "Thank you."

At this point, I was definitely stressing. Danny was going to be bringing Sara here himself, and I needed to have everything ready by then.

Everything was basically ready, but I was still stressing as Danny kept messaging every ten minutes.

Guests had already begun to arrive, all dressed in their formal wear.

"Seriously, Serena, you have outdone yourself," I turned around at Chris's voice.

He stood there with Miguel smiling at me, whilst Miguel was just looking around, taking everything in I assume.

"Aw, thank you, guys," I moved to give them a hug. "You both look amazing," I added.

Chris was dressed in a dark grey suit, whilst Miguel wore a maroon suit.

"Of course we do, I styled us both," Miguel said in an obvious tone, as we broke the hug.

I laughed at his words.

It wasn't actually news. I knew whenever the two were going to an event together, it was usually Miguel who would choose what they would wear. Chris would be happy in just normal, casual attire.

"This is all so beautiful," Miguel said, looking around the marquee tent.

I smiled at his compliment. "This really was all Danny's idea, I just helped put it together."

All that I really did, was make things look a little more aesthetically pleasing. Everything else was Danny's work, I couldn't really take credit it for it.

"Who knew stoned-faced Danny, would actually be a romantic at heart?" Chris laughed.

Danny was always a brooding kind of person, however he had his moments, where he'd drop that mask of 'always pissed off guy' and he would smile.

"He is when it comes to Sara," I said.

With her, Danny was just a hopeless guy in love, and would literally do anything for her, including paying for this giant marquee and party.

"Plus, now that they're having a baby together, he wants her birthday to be extra special this year," I added on.

I couldn't help but wonder how Danny would celebrate their baby's birthdays. He would most certainly go all out.

"How is she taking turning a year older?" Miguel asked with amused tone.

"Better than I thought actually," I smiled, and then my face scrunched up a little. "Although, she did throw biscuits at this cashier in the supermarket because he called her Ma'am."

It really wasn't a pretty sight when I had to basically drag her away.

"Oh," Chris said, his face resembling mine.

"Yeah, I apologised and gave him a box of chocolates," I told him.

Thankfully the cashier was sweet enough to understand it was her pregnancy hormones, because I was worried about him pressing charges.

"Pregnancy hormones and turning a year older, damn." Miguel said, blowing out some air.

I shook my head at him. "I'm so worried about her hitting someone tonight."

That was a true concern of mine for the night.

"It's should be fine. She's getting a party, that should distract her for a bit anyway," Miguel waved off my concern.

"Hopefully," I smiled.

I looked down at my phone, where I got a text from Danny telling me they were going to be leaving for the venue soon.

"So, who's your date for tonight?" My head snapped up at Miguel's question.

"Miguel." Chris said his name in a scolding tone.

I placed my hand on his arm. "It's fine, Chris." I then looked towards Miguel with a smile. "No one, actually."

His eyes widened slightly and he looked a little shocked. "You don't have a date? What about Liam?"

I was little stunned at his question and then saw Chris elbow Miguel, as he winced.

"What about Liam?" I asked the two of them, both curious and suspicious of why they would say his name.

Liam and I were friends. But the way Miguel said his name, it was as if he was implying something.

Yeah, I think I'm going crazy and over analysing now.

"Nothing...I uh, I just thought he'd come with you," Miguel stuttered slightly through his words and rubbing his arm in the area he was elbowed.

I raised my brow at him. "I mean, he's coming to the party, just like the other guests are."

Miguel frowned. "But I thought-" he began to say, but Chris wrapped his arm around Miguel's shoulders.

"That's what he meant," Chris answered for him.

"Okay then," I said the words slowly, still unsure of what just happened.

Miguel smiled at me, a little too sheepishly, and then Chris cleared his throat. "Let's go take some pictures babe," he said, and the pair just walked away.

"Weird," I noted.

Everything was ready for the party now and it was just Sara and Danny's arrival that we were now waiting on, but of course they would be stuck in traffic.

"Hey."

I turned around to see Liam standing front of me, smiling and with a gift bag in hand.

"Hey," I smiled back at him, taking a step forward.

I saw Liam's eyes look me over, as his lips parted slightly and he let out a small breath.

"You look stunning," he said, gesturing towards me with his hand.

For the party, I wore a white fitted dress, it was mid-length and off the shoulder, with a bit of slit up the thigh. It seemed suitable for the evening.

"Thank you," I smiled at Liam. "I'm glad you were able to actually get a word out this time," I joked, since usually he always fumbled whenever getting out a compliment.

"Trust me, it wasn't easy," Liam replied and my brows furrowed, giving him a weird look.

Liam's eyes widened in clear panic looking at the expression on my face after his words.

"No, no, I mean it wasn't easy because you look really great and it's taking all my words away, and now you're taking my air away. God, is it getting hotter? I think it's-" he rambled on, till I cut him off.

"Liam, breathe." I smiled, "And shut up. I was messing with you."

He chuckled breathlessly. "Shit, I thought you were offended."

I shook my head at him. "You look really great, too."

"Thank you," he said. "Thought I'd put in a bit of effort."

I looked at Liam a little confused, unsure of his words. "You know the invite said formal attire?" I asked him.

I sent out actual invites, not just texts. We were really pulling out a lot of stops for this night, and we weren't just going to settle with just an e-vite.

To be fair, Liam wasn't really meant to be invited, but Danny was the one who told me to invite him, since Sara was actually fond of Liam much to his chagrin.

"It did?" Liam asked.

"Yes," I nodded.

Trust him to not completely read the invite, probably except for the address and date.

"Well, good thing I wore the suit anyway," he smiled and I again shook my head at him.

"How's my bumblebee?" I asked.

"My parents have her," Liam replied. "Although, she's sad that she's missing this party," he added.

I frowned slightly. "I know, it's an all-grown ups thing. Blame Danny, not me."

The night was meant just for adults, especially since there was an open-bar. For those who were either pregnant or just not drinking for other reasons, mocktails were ready to be served.

"I don't think she could be mad at you even if she tried," Liam smiled, and that comment warmed my heart a little.

"Well that's good to know," I told him, and then my eyes drifted towards the bag in his hand. "What's this?"

He lifted the gift bag in his hand slightly and then looked back at me.

"Present for Sara," he stated, and I almost wanted to roll my eyes at his obvious answer.

"Wait, we're allowed to bring presents right?" He asked, since now he knew he hadn't read the invite properly.

"Yeah, the present table is just set up over there," I pointed over at a table we'd set aside and decorated, specifically for presents.

He looked in the direction of table and then back at me, before nodding.

Liam's mouth then opened and closed a couple of times. It seemed like he was trying to say something but was stopping himself.

Unfortunately, there was an awkward silence being created by his hesitation, which I then decided to break.

"Right, so um, the bar's open, help yourself to drinks while we wait for the birthday girl," I told him.

"Hey, Rena?" Liam's voice made me turn back, just as I was going to walk away.

I looked at him, raising my brows, waiting for him to continue.

"You do look incredible," he said, this time looking a little proud of himself at getting out a compliment, instead of stumbling over his words like usual.

"Thank you, Liam," I told him, before walking away with a smile on my face.

***

The party was now in full swing, with the birthday girl and her husband finally arriving.

It was so sweet to watch Sara's reaction when she saw us all, yelling out surprise. She buried her face in Danny's chest, as he hugged her.

When I went to hug her, she nearly squeezed the life out of me and then whispered she was so thankful for waterproof mascara.

The music was playing, the DJ we hired was actually doing a pretty decent job, which I was glad for. The DJ would probably be the first person Sara would attack in her pregnant rage, if the music wasn't up to standard.

"I look like crap," Sara whined.

We were sat at the table, as I was fixing the strap on her heel.

"Shut up, you look amazing," I told her, and she looked at me with a pout.

"I look fat," she looked down at her stomach.

I rolled my eyes at her. "No, you don't," I said. "That's just a little bit of the bump showing, and even then, you still look slim."

Sara wasn't putting on any weight during her pregnancy, it was a little weird to me. She basically looked how I would look, if I had eaten a three-course meal and then was just bloated.

"You're right. I look perfect," Sara smiled, and once again, I rolled my eyes at her.

Her mood switches very quickly, which again was worrying.

"Those weren't exactly my words, but cool," I told her, and then placed her foot back down again, taking off the napkin I'd placed over my white dress.

White dresses are cute to wear, but annoyingly can get dirty so quickly.

"I'm so taking that dress when I can fit into it," Sara looked at me, eyeing up my outfit.

"It's all yours," I winked. "Happy Birthday, S!" I smiled at her, holding her hand.

Sara gave me hand a squeeze. "Thank you."

Danny then walked over to the two of us, with an actual smile on his brooding face. "Thank you so much for helping me with all of this, Cupcake," he said, kissing the top of my head.

"It's no worries," I grinned at him, before leaving the happy couple with each other.

Just as I was walking to talk to some of the other guests, I felt a hand wrap about my arm and then pull me.

"Hey, what the-..." I began to say, and then when two hands steadied me, I looked up to see a familiar face. "Liam? What are you doing?" I asked, as he just smiled at me.

He pointed to the side. "Photo booth."

I rolled my eyes at his, as he just gave me a lazy grin.

"Must you always drag me to the photo booth?" I asked him, knowing that he only pulled this act because he remembered how he pulled me like this during our Summer Ball, back in high school.

I'm not sure where I've put those pictures now.

"Yes. Yes, I must," he said, and then tugged me in the direction of the photo booth.

It wasn't really a photo booth, but more of a mini-studio. We had a grey backdrop and a professional photographer, ready to take pictures, that would be printed out in little slips for those who wanted it.

Liam stood next to me and nodded at the photographer.

"Now, smile," Liam said, and we did just that, smiling sweetly into the camera.

Liam wrapped an arm around my waist, and tickled me slightly, catching me off guard as I laughed, just as the next picture was taken.

I placed my hand on Liam's shoulder, still laughing, and he began to laugh as well, just as another picture was taken.

Slowly, our laughter died down, as we just looked at each other. Liam's arm was still wrapped around my waist, and both my hands now rested on his chest.

His heartbeat was fast and I could feel it under my palm, as we both just stared at each other, like we were both searching for something in each other's eyes.

I didn't even realise when the next picture was taken, but the two of us still hadn't moved.

"Rena, I-" Liam began to say and I waited for him to carry on, but then someone else shouting my name snapped me out of the daze I was in.

I quickly moved away from Liam, knowing that we were standing too close to one another.

"Serena! Come dance," one of my friends said to me.

"One sec," I told her, and looked back at Liam. "What were you going to say?" I asked him.

He opened his mouth, but then shook his head. "It can wait till later," he told me.

I tilted my head slightly. "Sure?" I asked him.

"Sure," he nodded at me, with a smile. "Go dance now," he added, just as I was dragged away to the dance floor.

***

I didn't see Liam for a good portion for the rest of the evening, only catching a glimpse of him as we were sat at the table eating, but then after that I was being whisked away from all sides, either taking to people, dancing or sorting out problems.

As I stood at the bar, getting myself some much needed water, I felt a tap on shoulder.

Turning around, I saw Liam standing in front of me, sporting a wide grin.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," I replied, and then noticed his intoxicated state. "You look like you're enjoying yourself," I laughed.

Instead of laughing or even replied to that, Liam reached out and held my hand in his.

"Dance with me," he said.

I looked down at our joined hands and then looked back up to him.

"What?" I asked.

Liam took a step closer towards me. "Will you please dance with me?" He asked.

The close proximity we now had was messing with my mind already, but I just knew I couldn't even refuse his request.

"Sure," I smiled, and let him lead me towards the dance floor.

It's just a dance, right?

I caught a glimpse of Danny look at me with concern, but I just smiled at him and shook my head, silently letting him know that it was okay. Well, mainly that I was okay.

Liam wrapped one arm around my waist and pulled me close towards his body. His hand then rested on my lower back, as the other took my hand in his, and intertwined our fingers together, then moving our hands upwards, in a dancing positing.

As if on instinct, my free hand then trailed up to rest on Liam's shoulder, and we began to move our feet, gently swaying to the tune of the music.

"Look at you, dancing like a pro," I smiled up at Liam.

Even with my heels, Liam's tall height was towering over me, causing my neck to crane slightly.

"I had a great teacher," Liam replied playfully.

"Really now? Tell me more about this great teacher," I asked him, clearly wanting to hear my own praise out of his mouth.

He smirked at me. "Oh, she was amazing. Helped me learn how to dance in a matter of moments. Definitely my Mr Miyagi," he added, and I rolled my eyes.

"I still don't like being to referred to as the old guy from Karate Kid," I shook my head.

Liam then chuckled at my words. "It's a great movie," he countered, I shook my head again.

As we swayed to the slow rhythm of the song, our bodies in sync to the melodious beat, I couldn't help remember how we first danced together in the living room of my old house.

Things were a lot different then.

I was lost in my thoughts and snapped out when Liam dipped me by the waist and I squeezed his shoulder and his hand that was linked with mine.

Liam was looking into my eyes with a foreign kind of intensity, one that I had never seen before. I wasn't sure how to take it, and it was confusing the hell out of me.

This is was kind of how I've always wanted him to look at me, but right now I was assuming this was just wishful thinking from my side, and once again, I was probably only seeing what I wanted to see.

"Liam," I said, realising, we were still in the same position.

"Rena," he said my name so breathlessly, it was like my name was tied to the air he breathed.

Just when I sensed him leaning closer, I cleared my throat, and moved myself to straighten up, causing Liam to steady me.

Before he could say anything, I shook my head and walked away, before I mistook his actions for something else. Or before he did something he'd regret in his inebriated state.

I left the marquee and walked out, and then into the hotel.

The outdoor garden space we had set up the marquee in, belonged to a hotel. The space was big enough for our party, and luckily it wasn't booked, so it was ours for the taking.

I walking into the side entrance to the hotel, where it was just one long corridor to the lobby.

I was about to make my way there, just to sit down for a moment, when I felt a hand on my arm.

"Rena," I turned to look at Liam, whose face just seemed concerned.

"Liam-" just as I said his name, he took a step closer to me and stumbled slightly, causing me to quickly grab him. "Whoa, are you okay?" I asked.

It was clear to me, the alcohol he drank had started to get to him.

"I'm sorry if I went too far," he said and I looked at him confused, before realising he must meant the dance.

I shook my head at him. "No, it's okay. I just needed some air."

Liam looked up and then around, before staring back at me. "But you're inside?" He said, along with a pout.

"I got cold," I replied.

That wasn't a total lie, since it was actually quite cold outside and I was feeling the winter chill.

Liam then gave me that lazy, boyish grin of his.

"I'll keep you warm," he said, and then wrapped his arms around me, hugging my body.

His head was dropped to the crook of my neck and I could feel his deep breaths on my skin, which in turn was causing goosebumps to form. I was certain that wasn't from the cold.

"Liam?" I asked.

He hummed in response, still not moving.

"What are you doing?" I questioned him, as he held me securely, with even my arms in his hold so I couldn't move them.

Liam tightened his hold on me slightly. "You're cold, so I'm keeping you warm," he replied, as if speaking to a child.

"Like this?" I asked, wondering if it would've been more effective if he just gave me his blazer.

"Yup," he replied.

I shook my head, dropping it slightly to rest on his shoulder. "You're so drunk."

"I am," he agreed with my observation and just when I was about to laugh, Liam broke the hug, stepping away from me, but once again looked at me with that intensity.

"Rena I-...I see clearly now," Liam said, in a tone which probably would've suited more, had he just told me he solved some really hard equation or something.

My face scrunched up slightly, as I gave him an incredulous look. "I'm pretty sure you don't."

Liam shook his head at me. "No, I do. I-...I see you. I see all of you," he told me.

I was so lost on his words, I didn't understand if he meant metaphorically or that his blurred vision because of alcohol just cleared, and now he could see properly again.

"What are you talking about?" I asked him.

"If I came closer to you right now, what would you do?" Liam asked me, taking me completely by surprise.

I wasn't even sure if I heard him right.

"What?" I asked.

"Would you push me away? Tell me?" Liam asked, his eyes searching my face for an answer.

At this moment, I couldn't even speak, his question had left me stunned.

When I didn't answer, Liam stepped forward, closer towards me.

I knew that even if I was to step back right now, there was wall behind me, and I wouldn't really be going anywhere, but I didn't want to go anywhere.

The pounding of my heart against my chest was rapidly increasing, so much that I wouldn't be surprised if it just leapt out right now.

"If I held you, would you mind?" Liam asked, and once again, I was rendered speechless.

Despite not answering, Liam placed both of his hands on my waist, and pulled me towards him, but himself leaning forward.

His sudden movement caused my back to press against the wall behind me, whilst the front of my body was flush against his body.

"If I kissed you, would you stop me?" He asked, my eyes were now staring into his.

If this was a dream, I wanted to wake up now because this was a cruel joke being played on me.

However, as I felt Liam's breath on my own lips, I was convinced this was no longer a dream, but instead my long-awaited dream now becoming a reality.

"Liam-" my voice sounded breathless to even myself, as my chest was visibly moving with my deep breaths.

He squeezed my waist slightly. "Tell me, would you stop me? Would you push me away? Or would you lean closer to me?"

His voice had grown huskier with every word and there was only one thing I could now see in his eyes...desire.

I was seeing desire for me in his eyes and I knew that this wasn't just me imagining things.

"I-" I stuttered, seeing his parted lips so close to mine.

"That's not an answer," he whispered, leaning closer, only a hair-breadth away from me now.

One of his hands trailed from my waist, to my hair in a painfully slow pace, that felt like it was burning a path on my skin everywhere it touched.

"Yes or no, Rena?" Liam asked, his hand tangling itself into my hair, forcing me to continue to look at him.

"Say it. Would you stop me from kissing you?" He asked once more.

I let out a breath, and finally whispered, "No."

I could see Liam's eyes light up slightly at my answer, a smile work it's way on to his parted lips.

"Good," he said, and then wasted no time to lean in and closer the small gap between us.

As soon as Liam's lips met mine, the only word that came to mind was fireworks.

His hand, that was tangled in my hair, angled my face so that he could deepen the kiss, and at this point, I was happy to surrender that control to him.

His other arm continued to pull me closer towards him by the waist, but it wasn't needed, as my own hands worked it way to his chest, and grabbed a fistful of his shirt, pulling him closer to me.

I was running out of air, but didn't care, especially when Liam was breathing me in like I was his oxygen.

I moved one hand to the back of his neck and upwards slightly, pulling at the ends of his hair.

The action lead to Liam groaning into the kissing, and pushing me further back into the wall.

His lips finally left mine, but didn't leave me completely, as he trailed down sinful kisses across my jaw, and then down to my neck, and I kept pulling him in for more, basking in the bliss of this moment.

Liam then moved back slightly, and just looked at me, both of us panting for air not unlike a marathon runner would be doing after crossing the finishing line.

I smiled at Liam, my happiness probably etched on my face, and Liam smiled at me the same way, before leaning in once more for another kiss.

Again, all I could think was...fireworks.

***

You have no idea how giddy and excited I was, when I wrote this chapter.
I feel like I've waited for this to happen for a long time, and now it finally is.

I understand not everyone may be as thrilled as me, but there's still more to come.

:) x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49K 1K 37
I would bet none of you have ever had that dream summer that all of us want.... that summer where you meet a boy on the beach and go surfing even tho...
177 0 14
"I have always felt that life is a solitary journey, that we are each on a train, riding through our hours, our days, our years. We get on alone, we...
948 31 14
In the beginning of my youth. I gave away my heart to you. I always knew this love for you was just an hopeless wish. It was impossible for us. But I...
3.6K 93 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...