Sold (complete)

vanessapiccolo द्वारा

I couldn't make any promises but I didn't want to anger anyone here. If I had any hope of escape, it was betw... अधिक

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
The real 34
35
Amazon

14

226K 7.1K 2.7K
vanessapiccolo द्वारा

Days.

It had been days since I told Liam I loved him and I hadn't seen him since.

Well, I hadn't seen anyone, really. Even Bridget stayed away. I wasn't sure if she knew I was back but if she did, she was avoiding me. Mariah hadn't talked to me, no one. Lisette kept her interactions to a minimum and I just accepted it.

I knew what people would think of me. They would think I was only trying to be with Liam to improve my position. This was exactly the reaction I was terrified of. Everything that I didn't want to happen ended up coming to fruition.

I flipped over on my stomach and traced the quilt patterns on my comforter.

The only real interaction I had was with a seamstress Liam had sent down and even that was strictly business. All she wanted to know was my size.

I didn't even want to go to the party and I especially didn't want to go as whatever I was now. I would have to see Liam and pretend like everything was fine but nothing was fine. I wasn't okay and even though he said he loved me, he had an interesting way of showing it. He didn't love me; he loved the idea of me and I needed to accept that. He loved the chase but as soon as he got me, it was over.

"Knock, knock," Donny said as he came in my room.

I sat up but did nothing else to greet him. I wasn't in the mood for company.

"A girl's gotta eat," he said. He tossed me a blood bag and sat next to me.

I didn't want to admit how thirsty I actually was so I politely nipped the bag with my fangs and drank. I wanted to ravage it, to have more, but manners didn't allow for that.

"So. You've been cooped up for days. What's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Bull. What's this going on with Liam?"

"There's nothing between us."

He laughed. "You're a terrible liar, Anna. Come on, it's obvious. We all heard you two fighting."

I shook my head absently and set the empty bag on my nightstand.

"I don't know, Donny. When he looks at me, all he sees is a servant. He can't get beyond that."

"Ya know, I've been here a long time. Liam's grandparents hired me so I've seen him grow up. Future rulers are brainwashed. Liam's dad was lucky he found Erica before they arranged something."

"Arranged?"

"That's what they do. If he doesn't find someone that the council accepts, he's forced to marry someone that they do accept. Someone like Mariah."

"Just because she's royal, she's automatically what the kingdom needs?"

"He fought to have you here. You were supposed to be shipped off."

I scrunched my eyes in confusion. "What?"

"Council said he spends too much time with you and they wanted you shipped off to Eric or Ahmad. He fought them to keep you here."

"When?"

He shrugged. "Few months ago. Don't be too hard on him. He's trying to make this work."

"No, he's not. He's trying to change me so it's acceptable to be with me. That's not what I want."

"You think he wants to be in this situation? He could have taken the easy way out and just married Mariah. He could have forced you to be his mistress, but he didn't."

"He couldn't have done that."

"I think you forget exactly who he is. He is a powerful, influential, King. If he wanted to take you as a mistress, who do you think would stop him?"

"There are laws against rape," I said flatly.

"Yeah, but he's king. Do you really think anyone would speak against him for some servant girl?"

I though long and hard about what Donny said. He was right. No one would bat an eye if he decided to force me. Not that it would take much force on his end, but I understood. He didn't have to treat me the way he did. I was his property to do with as he pleased and that meant he could take me whenever he wanted. Could I really be upset with him for being a product of years of conditioning? He was raised to think of servants as lower than him. Still, I wasn't raised that way and it bothered me that he thought he was so far above me. If I wanted to be with him, he had to understand that I didn't find his superiority complex acceptable. He may have been king but if he wanted to be with me, he was going to have to humble himself a little.

"I get what you're saying but I can't pretend like I'm okay with it. We're both people and even though he's a king and I'm not, he shouldn't be ashamed of me."

"I don't think he's ashamed of you. I think he doesn't know what to do with you."

"You didn't hear everything. I could feel the way he thought about me. He pities me, Donny. He feels guilty for my life."

"Maybe. Wouldn't you feel guilty if you enslaved someone and ended up falling in love with them?"

"I wouldn't buy people."

"It's a different culture, Anna. You might not like the customs but they're rooted deep in this world."

"They were in mine, too, but we evolved from that. We ended slavery."

"For the most part," he added.

"Yeah."

"Look, I'm not here to tell you to forgive and forget but I think you should look at this with a different understanding. You need to be more patient and trusting."

"Trusting people is what got me into this mess," I muttered.

"Liam's different. He does love you. He just doesn't know how to show it."

"He doesn't know me."

"Then let him."

I bit my lip and flopped on my back with a groan. I knew everything Donny was saying was right. I needed to be more tolerant, more understanding. This wasn't the world I grew up in and my morals didn't mean a damn thing here.

Donny patted my knee and stood up.

"You should start. Go talk to him before tonight. Would be mighty awkward for you two to not be on speaking terms for this party."

"Yeah," I agreed.

I watched him leave and pushed myself off the bed. I needed to be the bigger person and apologize. It wasn't fair of me to accuse him of not loving me, even if I did still think I was right. He loved what I was forced to become, not who I actually am.

I traveled the halls to his office but stopped when I heard a female voice inside. I knew it wasn't Mariah or any servant. I wondered who it could be.

I knocked on the office door. He called me in but his voice didn't sound stoic like it usually did when he had a meeting. He sounded like he had been laughing.

I pushed the door open and stepped inside to see a woman that looked strikingly similar to Mariah with a few subtle differences.

"Anna, this is Rachel, Mariah's cousin," he said with one of his signature smiles.

I forced a polite smile and silently greeted her. I assumed she was here because of tonight but I didn't like the way she kept her eyes on Liam.

"I just came to see if you needed anything," I lied.

His eyebrow raised for a moment, telling me he knew I was lying but he didn't push for an answer.

"Actually, yes. Could you set up Rachel in the room next to Mariah?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Thank you. When you're done, I have something else for you to do."

I nodded once and waited for Rachel to follow me out of the room. I carefully watched the flirtatious smile that curved her painted red lips as she said good bye to Liam. A flame of jealousy ripped through me as he smiled in response. Though it wasn't nearly to the level she used, I was still angry he even responded.

The thick echo of her heels against the marble floors annoyed me beyond reason. I wanted to tell her she didn't have to clomp around like a horse but I did not see that ending well for me.

I showed her to the room and waited for a moment to see if she needed anything else, even though I didn't want to.

"Are you waiting for a tip or something?" She sneered.

I felt my jaw tighten, trying to keep myself from responding the way I wanted. "No. I was waiting to see if you needed anything else."

"No. You can go."

I hadn't said more than a few words to her and I hated her. She was a bad person and I could feel it.

I left without saying anything. I didn't even close the door for her like I would have with anyone else.

I trudged down to Liam's office, still irritated with Rachel for even looking in his direction. I didn't want him to be nice to her but I knew he wasn't going to be rude.

I knocked once again and waited for him to call me in. I slipped inside and closed the door behind me. I was nervous but I needed to apologize.

"So why did you really come here?" He asked, never once looking up from his paperwork.

I waited for him to find a stopping point but he just continued to work.

"Look, Anna, I'm busy. What did you need?" He asked.

"Uhm, nothing," I said quietly. "Sorry."

He didn't say anything when I left which I found odd. He seemed totally uninterested in me. I couldn't deny that his lack of interest in me was disturbing. I hadn't seen him or talked to him in days and this was how he reacted?

I decided it was time to see Bridget. I owed it to her to explain myself. It was unfair of me to just up and leave her like that and I realized that. Besides, I needed to get my mind off of Liam.

I opened her door to see the room abuzz with servants cleaning everything. Bridget sat on her couch, reading a book.

I took a seat next to her but she didn't look up. What the hell was with this family ignoring me?

"Hey, Bridget," I said.

She turned the page and ignored me further. I sighed but knew I deserved it.

"Look, Bridget, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left you."

"Liam told me you wanted to be alone so I couldn't see you."

"He was right. I was confused about things."

"About what things?"

"Just grown up stuff."

"He told me he loves you. What's confusing about that?"

I was caught off guard by how adult she sounded. Then again, I did underestimate her ability to understand adult situations. She was more observant than most people gave her credit.

"A lot of things."

"You love him, don't you?"

"Yes."

"Then I don't understand."

"Look, Bridget, I know you think it's simple but it's not."

"Why not? You love each other and you make him happy."

"Can we talk about something else?"

"Read me the Bible," she said as she pushed the book in my lap.

"You know what Liam said about this."

"I don't care what Liam said. Read it to me."

I sighed. "You're going to get me in trouble again."

"You owe me."

"Fine, fine. Where'd you leave off?"

"Here."

She pointed to Genesis 3. I scooted closer to her and got comfortable. She cuddled against me so she could still read along while I read aloud.

I read through the end of the Abraham narrative when Liam made an appearance. I wasn't sure how angry he would be that I defied him and read the Bible to her anyway.

"They left your dress in my room," he said to me apathetically.

I nodded and closed the book. Bridget took it from me and held it close to her chest. Liam looked between us before his eyes settled on me.

"The Bible?" He asked.

"Um," I turned to look at Bridget for a moment. "Yeah. She really wanted to read it-"

"It's okay," he assured.

"Anna?" Bridget called my attention.

I turned to her, waiting for her to go on.

"Why did Abraham try to kill Isaac?"

"Because God told him to."

"But why would God do that?"

"Because we all have to make sacrifices sometimes."

"But God promised him Isaac."

"What He gives, He can take away. He's God. It was a test of faith that Abraham passed."

"What happens next?"

"We'll find out later. You have to get ready for tonight."

"Can you pick my dress?"

"Anna needs to get ready, too. Lisette will help you pick your dress," Liam said.

She looked irritated with him but stayed quiet. I followed him out of the room and up to his. I caught sight of Rachel and Mariah talking in the hall but we continued on our way to his room. Mariah tossed me a smile and a small wave before disappearing into Rachel's room.

Liam closed the door quietly behind us and walked over to his giant closet. I followed hesitantly but stopped in the doorway. He stood in front of a floor length, beaded, black dress. It was stunning on the hanger and I couldn't imagine what it would look like on a person.

"It should fit," he commented.

"Why have you been avoiding me," I blurted. It wasn't the most eloquent way to ask but it got the job the done.

He clasped his hands behind his back and stared at me for a moment. His gaze was intense and calculating and I just wanted him to say something.

"I'm not."

"I haven't seen you or talked to you in days."

"I've been busy."

"Fine."

"You'll need to be ready in an hour. Lisette will come help you after she's done with Bridget."

"Thanks," I muttered.

He left me alone in his room. I hated that he was still angry with me but I wasn't going to budge on this. I couldn't.

I changed into the dress, loving the way it hugged my body. I hadn't worn anything form fitting since arriving here and it was nice to feel pretty again. I hadn't even worn make up the entire time I had been here. It was a little surprising that Liam, of all people, was even mildly attracted to me. I had become the epitome of bland; not that I wore tons of make up and tight fitting clothing before but I did wear some, at least enough to look feminine.

The heavy beading caught the light at every angle. The open neckline exposed my shoulders. The fabric trailed half way down my arms with lace. It was conservative enough to keep me happy but it definitely made the imagination wander.

Lisette hustled in the room and grabbed my wrist.

"Holy hell! You look so hot," she gushed.

I laughed a little and traced the beads on my stomach. "I like the dress."

"The king is gonna be all over you tonight."

My smile faltered. He wouldn't be. He might be completely done with me. I wasn't sure about this Rachel girl but she seemed incredibly interested in Liam. I didn't want her anywhere near him even if he was done with me.

"There's nothing there."

"Right," she said sarcastically.

I didn't want to argue with her. There was no point trying to convince her otherwise. Lisette was headstrong and if she believed there was something between me and Liam, she wouldn't drop it.

She spent her hour putting a more defined curl in my hair instead of the wild frizz my hair usually was. She put light make up on my face, just to define my features.

"There. You look so good!"

I looked in the mirror, surprised by the person that looked back. I had forgotten what it was like to feel good about myself. I felt like I was actually attractive.

"Thanks, Lis."

"No problem," she said with a smile.

She left me alone in Liam's room to look at myself.

Bridget ran in the room, wearing a black dress cut just below her knees. The cap sleeves and square neck were perfect for her. Her long, blonde, hair fell in tight ringlets around her waist.

"You look so pretty," I commented.

"My tights are itchy."

I laughed. "It's just for one night."

"You look different," she said. She touched my hair lightly.

"Good different or bad?"

"Just different. You're always pretty."

I smiled lightly at her. "Thanks, Bridget."

"You're welcome. Can we go now?"

"Yep. Come on."

She gripped my hand and led the way downstairs. I heard hundreds of people inside the giant ballroom. I noticed Liam with Mariah and Rachel near one of the doors, probably waiting to be announced. I walked Bridget over to them and released her hand. Liam barely glanced at me before he turned back to his conversation with Rachel.

"I'll see you inside, okay?" I said to Bridget.

"Uh, Anna, is it?" Rachel asked. I could hear the snobby undertone but slapped a polite smile on my face.

"Yes?"

"I'd like a glass of champagne."

"Anna's not a servant," Liam said.

"Oh. I just assumed. You know, the help all starts to look the same after awhile."

It took everything in me to not fire back. I wasn't going to be that person though. It wouldn't help me in any fashion.

"She's the new ambassador to your uncle's country."

"Oh, Liam, that's so nice of you," she said. She lightly touched his chest and I nearly flipped my lid. "What is your prior experience in foreign affairs?"

I didn't know how to respond. I had no experience. Hell, I didn't even know what an ambassador did until a few days ago.

"Um, well, I actually don't have any."

"Hm. So how did you manage to secure such an important position?"

I had never felt smaller than I did in that moment. She was cutting me down and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

"Well, I guess a pretty face can get you just about anything these days," she said. Her superior smirk made me angry but there was nothing I could do about it.

I didn't respond to her remarks. I just walked away. I could have fired back but I wasn't going to argue with her.

I slipped inside the side door, as far from Liam and his group as I could get. I didn't know what the link was between him and Rachel but I didn't like it. I was a little angry that he hardly said anything in my defense. I mean, how hard would it have been to shut her up?

The grand room was filled to the brim with well-dressed people. Most people had blood or some type of alcohol in their glasses and talked in small circles. I didn't know anyone and had never felt more out of place. I didn't belong with these people.

I glanced out the wall of windows to the beautifully lit gardens and longed to be out there instead of inside.

"Hello," a man said from behind me.

I turned to see a man I would never forget. Ahmad. The man that tried to buy me.

I froze. I wasn't sure how to react but I had to do something.

"The girl from the auction house," he said.

I pressed my lips in a tight line.

"Well, you certainly clean up nicely. Tell me, how has it been here?"

"Fine."

"Liam seems to be treating you well."

I faced the door I knew Liam would walk through, praying he could hear how much I needed him.

"Is he willing to loan you out for a night? I mean, you should have been mine." He trailed a finger down my arm. I jerked away from him and walked away.

I wasn't going to be treated like a common whore by these people.

"Ignore him," another male voice said.

A man that looked similar to Liam turned slightly to look at me. He held a glass of blood and extended the other hand to me. I looked at his hand hesitantly but took it.

"Pierce," he said with a smile.

"Annabel," I responded.

"Ah. So you're the infamous Anna?"

"Um, I'm not sure."

"My cousin has told me about you."

"You're the king's cousin?" I guessed.

"I am."

I nodded a little, unsure of what to say next. I was out of practice in public situations.

"So what do you think?"

"Of what?" I asked.

"The party."

"Um, it's nice."

"They get boring, quick." He smiled at me. His smile reminded me of Liam's but there was a clear difference. Pierce was more fairy tale, romance novel, handsome with his shoulder length blonde hair, broad chest, and heavy Irish accent. I was surprised at how heavy his accent was compared to Liam's which was barely there.

"It's my first one."

"First of many, I'm sure. So what do you do around here?"

"Mostly just watch Bridget."

"Very nice. Do you like kids?"

I nodded. "She's pretty easy."

"Always has been. I used to have a lot of fun watching her."

"You used to watch her?"

"Mhm. Before I took over my father's dukedom. I've been very busy lately."

"You must be the cousin she mentioned then."

"Only good things, I hope."

I laughed lightly. "Only good things. So where is your dukedom?"

"Northern Ireland. Have you been?"

"Oh, no. I had never been out of California until I came here."

"A California girl?"

"Born and raised."

"What did you do there?"

"School. I was barely eighteen so I just started college."

"What were you studying?"

"English with a minor in drama."

"What did you want to do with that?"

"I don't know. I hadn't thought it through."

"You like to act?"

"Not really," I admitted. "I just really like reading plays."

"Who's your favorite?"

"All time favorite? Shakespeare, of course."

"I'm a Tennessee Williams fan."

"The Glass Menagerie?"

"It's a classic," he defended.

"No judgement here," I smiled. "Williams is one of the greats."

Trumpets cut through the air, calling the attention of the room to a grand entrance.

Pierce leaned closer to me. "My cousin certainly knows how to make an entrance."

I laughed lightly but paid attention where I was supposed to. Mariah and Rachel were announced first and made their way down the marble steps. I could see Rachel soaking up every second of the attention while Mariah simply walked in.

Liam and Bridget were next, both wearing their formal gold and jewel encrusted crowns which I hadn't seen before. I couldn't deny that Liam looked handsome in his regal attire. I was so used to seeing him in his everyday dress pants and shirts.

Liam and Bridget made their way to the thrones and took their seats. After they were in their places, the party commenced.

"May I get you something to drink, Annabel?"

I smiled up at Pierce. "Just Anna is fine. And no, I'm not old enough to drink."

He laughed. "I sincerely doubt anyone will arrest you. Just one glass."

I thought for a moment. "Well, okay. Just one though."

He got the attention of Crystal who came over immediately. She scowled in my direction before turning her full attention to Pierce.

"Two glasses of champagne, please."

She turned her tray and handed him one glass at a time. She didn't bother to look at me again as she sulked her way back to the wall.

"Not a fan of yours, I take it?"

"Not at all."

"So back to our conversation," he prompted. He handed me my glass and watched me carefully. "What is it you love about Shakespeare because honestly, sometimes I feel like I can't get through his work."

"Like what?"

"The Tempest, for example."

I nodded. "That's a tough one to get through but I love that it can be read with so many different scopes. Every time I read one of his plays, I find something different."

"What do you mean?"

"You remember Caliban, right?"

"The island native?"

"Yeah. There's a part, and it's small, but Prospero accuses Caliban of raping Miranda."

"Right, right. And Caliban says something about if he had done it, there would be little Calibans running around."

"Exactly. But he never really admits to it, does he?"

"No but if he did, do you sympathize with him?"

"I have a soft spot for Caliban. Especially now. I mean, he was forced into slavery by Prospero, given a proper education, but was never taught how to use those skills. Can you imagine how confusing and frustrating it would be to have so much knowledge but not able to comprehend it?"

"You're a much more considerate person than I am. I feel he did try to rape Miranda and I don't feel bad for him. He's not a sympathetic character in my opinion."

"But is he not sympathetic because of that reason or is it because of your own personal, social standing?"

He paused for a moment and simply looked at me as if I had said something profound.

"I mean, you could read the play as Caliban being representative of the working class and Prospero, the evil ex-Duke or high society, is oppressing him."

"A Marxist reading. Interesting."

I let a genuine smile touch my lips. I hadn't been able to discuss literature with anyone in over a year and I hadn't realized how much I missed it.

"Anna, Pierce," Liam's voice fell from behind me.

I turned to look at him though I was disappointed to see Rachel hot on him. It was annoying that she was everywhere he was.

"Liam," Pierce greeted warmly. "This girl is amazing. How have you kept her hidden for so long?"

Liam didn't bother to glance in my direction. Instead, he kept his tight gaze on his cousin.

"I haven't been hiding her at all."

"Brilliant girl," Pierce commented. His red eyes fell on me with barely concealed interest.

"I believe Bridget is looking for you, Anna," Liam said tightly.

I lightly smiled at Pierce.

"I'll go with you ," he said. "I'm sure Bridget will be furious I haven't seen her sooner."

"Actually, I was hoping to introduce you to Rachel. She is Eric's niece."

Pierce shot me a quick smile. "I believe we've met before. Now, if you'll excuse us."

He placed his hand on the small of my back and led me away from the pair. I was both glad and angry. I was intensely jealous that Rachel could just walk around with Liam like it was nothing while I had to hide everything I did from the people closest to me. It was infuriating.

"I'm not sure what you did to make him so jealous but bravo," Pierce whispered to me.

I laughed even though I didn't want to. Pierce was funny and he was interesting to talk to. He talked to me like an equal which was something I didn't get often. He treated me like an intellectual.

I found Bridget sitting at her throne, bored, but she instantly perked up when she saw me and Pierce.

"Pierce! Why didn't you come stay with me," she demanded.

"I only flew in a couple hours ago. I'm sorry, Bridget."

"Are you staying?"

"I'll be here a few days but I have much work with your brother."

"Can you come read with me and Anna?"

"Of course I will. What are you reading?"

"The Bible."

"Is that so?"

She nodded. "Liam's being grouchy lately."

"Liam's always a grouch," he laughed. I couldn't help but laugh at his comment.

"May I steal Anna for a moment?" Liam said from behind us. I turned to see him looking at Pierce's hand on my back.

"You really must learn to share," Pierce said.

Liam snapped his eyes to Pierce with a look of sheer irritation.

"Anna?" Liam asked though I knew he wasn't really asking.

I tossed Pierce an apologetic smile and followed Liam out of the ballroom. He led me down to a more private hallway and whipped around. He grabbed my arms and pressed me against the wall. He brought his lips to mine but I pulled away.

"What are you doing?" I asked. I was mad that he just thought he could pay attention to me when it was convenient for him.

"Trying to kiss you."

"Obviously. I don't get you. I tried to apologize to you earlier and you blew me off."

"I told you I was busy."

"You haven't talked to me in days."

"Why are you hanging around Pierce?"

I cocked my head to the side. "Ahmad was bothering me and Pierce was right there. Had you listened to me, you would have known that."

"I was listening. I figured you could handle it yourself."

"I did handle it."

"Then what's the problem?"

I scoffed. "You are ridiculous."

"Do you like him?"

"I just met him. What does it matter?"

He didn't say anything. He simply looked at me but I saw what was burning beneath his carefully composed mask.

"Are you jealous?" I asked.

"I don't get jealous."

"You're jealous. Admit it."

He rolled his eyes. "I simply cannot fathom a reason for him touching you."

"He was just being polite."

"No. He is interested in you."

"No, he's not."

"Yes he is. Did you not see the way he looked at you, Anna?"

He was clearly jealous.

"You mean like a person?"

"He wants you."

"So what if he does?"

"He can't have you," he said possessively.

"Why not?" I prompted. I knew I was pushing him but maybe he needed to see that someone else could want me. He could have some competition. But, I didn't want anyone else. I wanted him.

"Because you belong with me. No one else."

I tugged on his jacket, pulled him as close as possible and pressed my lips to his. He gripped the back of my neck and held me as close as possible. Just the feel of his lips against mine made my body erupt in butterflies. I wanted him in every possible way even though I knew it could end in heartache. He could end up leaving me but I remembered what Uriel told me a year ago. He told me to enjoy life. For me, Liam was my way of enjoying life.

"I love you, Liam," I said against his lips.

"I love you," he mumbled back.

"Don't ever ignore me again."

"I won't. I promise."

I pressed myself closer to him, to feel every inch of him against me.

"You need to stop thinking that way," he whispered. He rested his forehead against mine but still held onto me.

"I can't help it."

"You're making it extremely difficult, Anna."

"But I do want you."

I would swear I could hear a light groan at my words.

"You have no idea how hard it is to tell you no."

"Then don't."

"You want to wait until marriage. I'm not going to take that from you, too."

"You aren't taking anything from me. I want it to be with you."

He looked down the hall for a moment before looking back me. He brushed a stray curl from my face and kissed me again.

"Come on."

"What about everyone else?"

"They won't even notice we're gone."

"Rachel will," I said flatly.

He smiled at me. "You're cute when you're jealous."

"I'm not jealous."

"She's jealous of you."

I couldn't help but feel satisfied that she was jealous of me.

"Liam," Mariah called as she walked down the hall.

I tried to step away from Liam but he held me firmly in place.

Mariah rolled her eyes a little and laughed. "About damn time. Rachel's been looking for you. I doubt Pierce can hold her off much longer."

"Tell her I'm busy."

"I tried. She won't listen."

"Fine. Let's go."

He continued to hold my hand as we walked down the hall. I tried to pull away from him but he wasn't having it.

We stopped in front of the giant gold doors and he took both of my hands in his.

"We're doing this now."

"Doing what?"

"Going in as a couple. I'm tired of hiding it."

"Liam-"

"Do you want to keep hiding it?"

"Well, no, but do you really think it's wise to do it this way?"

"If it's done publicly and the council denies it, they'll look bad."

"So you're going to force them to accept it?"

"It's the only choice I have. They already don't want you here."

"I know," I admitted.

"This is the best way, Anna."

I nodded. "Okay. I trust you."

He kissed me one last time and pulled the gold door open. A good portion of the giant room turned to look at us enter down the marble steps. It seemed like everyone's eyes were glued to our connected hands.

"Your Majesty," a man said discreetly.

Liam glanced at him for a moment.

"This is highly inappropriate," the man whispered.

"I will make my announcement now," Liam informed the man.

The attention was called to us immediately. The room fell silent and all eyes were on us. Pierce stood towards the front with Mariah and Bridget. I wanted Rachel to see this more than anyone but she was absent.

"I'm sure you all know that I was supposed to announce my engagement to Princess Mariah this evening. However, there has been a change in plans." He looked down at me with a soft smile. "I won't marry someone I do not love."

A look of shock covered certain faces, faces I was sure belonged to council members.

"I intend to be with Anna and see where that leads."

With that, he led me down to the crowd. Silence engulfed the room, making me horribly uncomfortable. I had no idea where the evening would go, but I assumed the only way was up.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

Human Status Danicka Castro द्वारा

किशोर उपन्यास

293 3 1
I live in a world where I am nameless. I live in a world where I do not matter except or unless I am owned by someone. I do not have rights, freedoms...
6.4K 100 17
I've been in this place for 9 months, they took me from my family and everything I once loved. My family sold me, the people who are supposed to love...
535K 19K 30
I was taken away from the only place I called home. I was used as a blood-bag to those filthy creatures with fangs, just for money. I guess I should...
He's A Monster Paytience द्वारा

रहस्य / थ्रिलर

92K 4K 26
I was more than the injections, the past, and a "normal boy" I was a monster and there was nothing more I wanted than to show her that I didn't have...