I'll Keep This Secret For You

By bucky_star

As an eighteen year old girl in Brooklyn, New York in the 1930's, falling pregnant unplanned is not on your a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Author's Note
Chapter 65
Sneak Peak
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Surprise!
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Author's Note
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Important Authors Note!
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Authors Note
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Author's Note
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Author's Note
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Epilogue
MISSING CHAPTER
Author's Note

Chapter 119

1.2K 29 13
By bucky_star

You feel your jaw drop to the ground and when you look over Bucky's eyes are like saucers they are so wide with surprise and Steve has a frown on his face that is almost as if to say 'I call bullshit', (A/N: Just try imagine the face he made in Ultron when he first met Clint's kids 😂) although he would never really let that word ever actually escape his lips.

"I'm sorry." Peggy laughs almost deliriously. "I must've miss heard you because I thought you just said to us that this is your wife and child."

"Nope, you heard right." He nods and shrugs, swinging back on his heals innocently.

"What?" She exclaims in disbelief. "How? W-When? Why- when were you planning on telling us this? On telling me, your business partner and best friend, this?"

You can't tell if she's mad or just shocked.

"I wanted to wait until the time was right and I figured now was a good time." He continues.

You look over at the four already sitting at the table and Mrs Stark smiles sheepishly. Her cheeks are red and you can tell she's embarrassed. Meanwhile their baby, Tony, just sits there playing with his toy on his highchair table without a care in the world. This Natasha lady smirks amusedly, taking a seat and clearly enjoying the show while Sam just watches curiously.

"Okay." Steve shakes his head and blinks his eyes widely as if to try and sort his thoughts. "Let's just sit down because I feel like we all need an explanation right now."

"Of course." Howard grins rather proudly, rather enjoying the confusion that he has created.

It's not that this is a bad thing. It's just the last thing everyone was expecting.

There are highchairs there which you set Theo and the twins up in while Peggy does the same with Sarah. Luke and Isla clamber you onto some of the big chairs and then you help Bucky get down into his which after a few whimpers and flinches he does manage, before finally settling down into yours and staring at Howard who now sits next to his wife now with his hand on her thigh and looks at her adoringly.

The food is brought out pretty much instantly and everyone digs in, although you're still waiting for and wanting an explanation.

"Ahem." Peggy finally clears her throat.

Howard looks her way, eyebrows raised in questioning.

"You mind telling us when this all started?" She asks gobsmacked and motions to Maria and Tony.

"Ah yes right." He smiles before explaining. "Well, we met not long after we got back from the war at an intervention I was doing a demonstration at and it was not long at all before I knew that she was the one for me. Quite simply put, I was smitten. But we wanted to keep things quiet, at least for the moment you see. Dear Maria is a little shy so the life I lead is taking some getting used to for her.

"Yes. Okay. But what about the marriage and the baby?" Peggy urges, eyes still wide in disbelief.

Howard shrugs casually. "We just went and had a simple signing ceremony down at the town hall and then little Anthony came along not long after that."

"A simple ceremony?!" She guffaws. "That does not sound anything like you Howard."

"What can I say?" He sighs. "She's changed me, for the better."

"It was even Howard who suggested having it there." Maria finally chimes in in a quiet voice.

"And you didn't think to tell me about this? Not even a single mention her?" Peggy asks seemingly hurt.

He shakes his head. "Sorry Peg. I'm in no way saying that I thought it was you or that I don't trust you but with all the leaks that we've had going on within S.H.I.E.L.D you just never know who's wandering ears might be hanging around. I had to protect my growing family. I didn't want to put them at risk at all after seeing everything that you guys go through.

Finally Peggy huffs and drops it.

"A-and what about these two?" Bucky motions to the other two strangers sitting across from you guys with his still clean fork while he leans hunched over the table. "Who are you?"

He's just been drinking water so far because of his suppressed appetite due to the meds and he's too tired to fully focus because of them either. That and you're pretty sure it actually hurts him to eat at the moment.

Natasha just looks at him with pursed lips and raised eyebrows. "I think the real question is, who am I not?"

Okay. What the fuck?

"I can be a spy, a bodyguard, anything you want me to be. Heck, I can even be your guys baby sitter if you need." Sam shrugs and leans back in his chair in a relaxed manor.

"Their our new secret weapons." Howard cuts in. "I've been working with them behind the scenes over the last few months and I think now is the perfect time to bring them in to be a part of our team. I think they will be an asset to us in a number of ways. Nat comes from a, um, a background where she is trained in a variety of skills, and Sam has something up his sleeve that no one else will. That and he's easily the most loyal person I have ever met. With them on the team it will allow me to step back a little more and focus on what I do best, the engineering and creating of things. These two on the other hand can help out more with the organising and undertaking of missions in planning, strategic and hands on ways. They will be far more help to you than I ever was. Now I'll be able to come up with all kinds of new gadgets and weapons and safety precautions for you.

You can't help but think it's a bit two late for that last one, but at least it's starting now.

"And how exactly did you manage to keep this from me as well?!" Peggy throws her hands up in dismay.

"I can be pretty sneaky myself you know Peg." He smirks at her playfully.

She just rolls her eyes and glares at him. Clearly a little offended that he wouldn't tell her this. You can't really blame her. Although as absurd as this whole thing is you can kind of see the reasoning behind why Howard did it.

"Which brings me to my next point." Howard continues without a care. "You guys do not need to worry. No one will ever find you or know that you are here. Same goes for your new place. Nobody knows where my houses are and we have top secret security meaning that if anyone ever did they wouldn't even be able to get near the place. See? No one even knew that Maria or Tony existed until I introduced you to them and you guys are my closest friends! You'll never have to worry again."

"I don't know about that." Bucky mumbles under his breath.

"Okay, hold on. Can we just back up a second please?" Steve interrupts. "This is a lot to take in. So, what? Are you two caught up on everything you need to know? Because we move at a fast past here and can't make any mistakes or else things like what happened to Bucky will happen again."

Both Sam and Natasha nod.

"We've been working with Howard behind the scenes over the last few months. We know everything we need to know. About you guys, about hydra, about shield. Quiz me. And if there's anything that I've missed then I'll make sure I make up for it in whatever way I can." Sam shrugs, seeming very confident and nonchalant about the whole thing considering he's just walked into a very important part of your guys lives.

"And how do we know we can trust you?" Bucky asks critically.

"That's just something you're going to have to do." Natasha shoots back matter of factly.

After that the room goes rather quiet. Everyone finishes their meals, eyeing each other sheepishly.

"Alright, do you guys mind if we have a chat?" Steve asks finally once him, Natasha and Sam are finished.

They both nod, standing up.

"Buck, you wanna come?" He turns to him.

Bucky shakes his head. "You go on ahead, catch me up on everything later. Sorry, I'm pooped right now. I just think I need to lie down."

Steve nods in understanding.

"I'll show you other guys around." Howard chimes in as you watch the other three walk out a side door. "We'll get you to your room as well Serg."

"Thanks." Bucky smiles embarrassed.

Howard helps him up while you and Peggy sort the children out before you all follow him back out the way you came. He explains to you all what each of the rooms are as you walk back down the hallway, each one fancier than the next. You didn't know it was possible to have so many rooms in one house.

Finally you come to the main lounge. It's a big open space in the same area as the front entrance and grand staircase. There is a large fireplace as well which you can guarantee will be getting lit on these icy cold nights that are sure to come.

"Upstairs is pretty much just the bedrooms. I'll show you to each of yours. And I thought that the four older children could stay on the top floor which is a sort of big open loft bunk room together, it should be fun for them all." Howard explains.

"Yes!" Isla exclaims. "Luke we will get to share a room again! Won't that be fun?"

You can see Luke role his eyes.

"Yeah, definitely." He mumbles.

Great. Looks like the old Luke is gone again and temperamental teenage Luke is making a reappearance.

"There are enough rooms if anyone wants something to themselves." Howard adds, sensing Luke's annoyance.

"No they're fine. Us adults can have the second level to ourselves." You state and look at like pointedly who just scowls at you.

He can get along with his siblings for a few days.

"Alrighty then. Buckaroo should we get you all set up in yours? Since, you know, you're meant to be on bed rest but you've been out of bed for the last few hours." Howard continues, trying to get past the awkwardness that just occurred.

"Ah, thanks Howard, but I don't think I'll be able to make it up those stairs. I'll just crash on one of the couches if that's okay with you." Bucky looks up at them wearily.

"Oh, are you sure? I'm sure we can get you up there somehow. Or I can arrange for a bed to be brought down here for you?" Howard insists.

"Howard." Bucky chuckles as he looks back at the massive, fancy, comfy looking couches scattered around the room. "It's fine. These couches are bigger then our bed at home. I'm sure I'll manage to survive."

"Okay." Howard sighs. "I'll get Jarvis to bring you some blankets down right away."

"Thanks." Bucky smiles guiltily.

You and Howard walk over to one of the couches in the corner by the fireplace with Bucky and help him down onto it.

"I'll come down in see you in a minute once I've got the kids sorted." You whisper, planting a quick kiss on his forehead.

"Thanks doll." He smiles up at you.

"Okay! Right this way!" Howard claps his hands and exclaims as he starts jogging up the stairs.

Isla giggles and clambers up after him with Theo and Sarah following excitedly behind. Luke sloths up after them while Peggy takes one of the carriers off of you and you and her bring up the rear, still too busy taking everything in. Howard quickly shows you guys your rooms; one that's meant to be yours and Bucky's, Steve and Peggy's and then Howard and Maria's, followed by Sam's and then Natasha's too each next to the other. You have a quick peak into yours to see a luxurious looking space including a rich red patterned wall paper, four poster bed, two cots for the twins, your bags having been dropped off neatly in the corner, a large wardrobe and a door that you're guessing leads to an en-suite. How you're going to make use of all of this space in just a week you have no idea.

Next he takes you up to the third level which is exactly like you explained. It's just a massive open space with six beds lining the walls, toys scattered around the room and books filling shelves on the walls.

"Pardon the mess. We've been using this as Tony's play space. That and sometimes I just like to come up here and tinker," Howard says.

"I DIBS THIS BED!!" Isla screams and goes running for the one she wants.

Straight away the other three make a beeline for their own as well and just like that they are completely preoccupied and don't even care that you guys are there.

"Well then." Peggy huffs. "Let's just leave them to it and go enjoy the peace while it lasts."

You laugh and nod in agreement.

"Do you guys need anything? Maria and I are going to take Tony for a walk around the gardens to try and get him to go to sleep for his nap if you would like to join." Howard asks.

You look at the little boy propped up in his mother's arms. "He really is very cute."

"I suppose I should." Peggy smiles and then extends a hand to Maria, obviously getting over a grudge. "It'll give me a chance to get to know the wonderful lady that is kind enough to tolerate you as a wife."

"I would love to, but I should try get these two down for their own naps and make sure Bucky's okay." You sigh.

"Fair enough. Just sing out if you need anything, Jarvis will be wherever you need him. You can light the fire if you want. And help yourself to anything." Howard offers as you start back down to your rooms.

"Thanks. Enjoy you're walk," you say as you head down the hall to your room while they carry on down the stairs.

Once you're in you're room you take a moment to look out the window in there only to be pleasantly surprised by the view out over the back garden. You feed each of the twins and take the time to rock them to sleep before placing them in their cots. Blue goes down easily, although Lilly is wide awake. It seems that her nap on the way here wasn't such a good idea.

You hold her up and look at her fed up. "This isn't going to work is it"

She just gives you a gummy grin and giggles playfully.

You sigh and prop her on your hip, heading down stairs and back to where you left Bucky. He's already curled up under a pile of blankets pulled up over his chin, eyes resting shut. Somehow this giant, handsome, muscular man is managing to look like an adorable little baby. You tip toe over to him, not wanting to wake him up, when you see one of his eyes crack open and he peers up at you.

"Seriously? How did you hear me? I tried to be so quiet!" You whisper groan.

"You forget that I have the senses of a spider." He chuckles, lighting up when he sees you.

Lilly makes grabby hands for him.

"Lilly no." You tut her and instead just place her down beside the couch so that she can lean against it and look up at her dad.

"Where's blue?" He frowns as he sneaks a hand out from under the blankets to let her take one of his fingers in her dainty little hands.

"Well, one of these two wanted to play ball with nap time... but one didn't." You raise your eyebrows at her.

He laughs. "Is that so."

She just lets out a little shriek before dropping down to the floor and starting to clumsily and shakily crawl around on the carpet, something she's been starting to do recently.

"You know, considering what happened to Blue and the differences that there's now meant to be between them, the only one I can see at the moment is that she's starting to crawl and he isn't," you say absentmindedly from where you have sat yourself on the floor, head resting on your hand and elbow resting on the couch by Bucky.

"Yeah, it's not like she's any bigger or anything." Bucky adds and you look up at him nodding. "Both of them babble away just as much as each other."

You smile at the thought and nod in agreement.

"Ah, sorry to interrupt." A posh voice... interrupts, your guys little moment of peace.

You both crane your necks to see Jarvis standing in the doorway with a tray and two mugs on it held in front of him.

"I though the two of you might enjoy some of my famously delicious hot cocoa." He explains.

"Oh yes I think that sounds amazing!" You gasp the second he mentions it.

He comes over with a proud grin and holds the tray out for you to take one.

"Mr Barnes, sir?" He moves into Bucky.

"Thanks Jarvis." Bucky grunts as he props himself up against a pillow in a more upright position and reaches out for one.

You both take a sip at the same time.

"Oh my goodness Jarvis this truly is amazing!" You exclaim and gasp at the same time.

"Wow." Bucky nods in agreement.

His grin grows into a huge beam. "Thank you very much. I pride myself on it. Now, I'll just light the fire for you guys. It gets bitterly cold here at night so I must start warming this place up now."

"Thanks Jarvis." You smile and nod and watch absentmindedly, taking sips of your cocoa as he expertly stacks some wood and lights the fire.

Once he's gone you turn to Bucky.

"Cheers to hopefully catching a break soon and getting some good luck," you say quietly.

He nods as you clink mugs. "Don't worry doll, I have a feeling that some good is finally going to come our way. Starting with this lovely little holiday."

You giggle and nod. "I sure hope so."

Sitting there with your cocoa and staring into the heat of the fire is very peaceful. You and Bucky have nothing left to say to each other but just having each other's company is always something you crave. But just as you get to the bottom of your mug, Lilly crawls back over to you and snuggles up against your leg.

"Ah, looks like someone's finally ready for their nap." Bucky remarks.

"I'm just gonna go put her down, have a quick shower and check on the other kids and then I'll be right back," you say feeling guilty about ruining the moment.

"That's fine. I'll be waiting when you get back." He smiles quietly.

"You know, it is an awfully fancy bed I've got up there. It's a pity I can't share it with anyone." You tease as you stand up.

"Who knows." Bucky shrugs and takes another sip of his hot drink. "Maybe I'll be able to come join you later on in the week."

You lean down and press a kiss to his forehead. "I would like that a lot." You mumble and smirk as you pull away before turning to head up the stairs.

You do exactly as you said you would, laying Lilly down who is practically asleep in your arms by the time you get to your room so it take no time at all, peep your head in Blue's cot to check that he's still okay, and have a quick shower in the beautiful white tiled bathroom which might actually be the fanciest part of the house you've seen yet with it's claw footed bath and gold tap ware for no longer than five minutes before you get dressed. Just letting the warm water trail over you feels so nice. You haven't had a proper shower all week because you've been too worried about leaving Bucky's bedside or tending to his needs. Although short, this one definitely makes up for your losses.

Finally you creep up stairs and sneak a look through the door of the other kids bedrooms. You see Luke sitting on his bed by himself reading while Isla Theo and Sarah all sit on the ground together playing some kind of imaginary game together happily so you leave everyone to it and head back downstairs to Bucky.

But when you get there you find that he's asleep. You're not surprised really. You could tell he was tired before. You smile as you creep over to him and see his face softly lit up by the orange glow of the fire right beside him, accenting all of his best features. This time he's well and truly out to it. You pull up his blankets a little more and brush the hair out of the way from his forehead before leaving him be and going to explore the house a little more yourself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 82 54
'𝐈 π–πˆπ’π‡ 𝐈 π‚πŽπ”π‹πƒ 𝐁𝐄 𝐀 𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 πŒπ„, π…πŽπ‘ π˜πŽπ”.' ††† Even if every memory from 1917 comes roaring back to you, being a former Hy...
1.5M 19K 180
‼️The story is in 2 parts, Enjoy!! Self-insert‼️ You are a former Black Widow who has been in hiding for years. You have made amends and have dealt w...
435K 11.9K 44
An Avengers Bucky Barnes x OC Story **SMUTS** You hated Hydra, and everything associated with them. So you absolutely detested the fact that the Ave...
508K 15.4K 156
Adopted at a young age by Nicholas Fury, Y/N was raised as a Shield agent and was known to be one of the best. You were enhanced by Hydra before you...