Anikaa & The Mystery of the P...

Par adhyakrish

Anikaa Mehra, a multi-millionaire artist finds a riddle hidden inside a painting which is not only the clue t... Plus

Preface
1. Engagement of Prashant & Naina
2. The Invitation
3. The Midnight Guest
4. The Illusion
5. The Ride
6. Nishant's Flight
7. Invitation Reminder
8. The Sturrocks
9. The Black Maze
10. Strange Happenings
11. Jiyu Unlocked
12. The Research
13. The Riddle
14. Meeting Jiyu Again
15. Involving Raymond
16. Breaking Ice
18. The Spooky Note
19. Meeting Sameera aka Samaira
20. The Poisonous Dart
21. Meeting Bhagyashree
22. The Second Strike of Gnomons
23. The Parchment
24. Anikaa goes rogue
25. The Attack on Rachel
26. The Howling Forests
27. Realm of Kurupas
28. Pit of Gnomons
29. The Musk Deer
30. Reaching Munnar

17. The Gnomons

67 4 0
Par adhyakrish

It was 7 pm, when Anikaa was jogging in the vast land, in the middle of the trees- that she called her garden. She was finishing her third lap, when Bahadur came running to her with the news of Sturrocks' arrival.

"Which Sturrock?" asked Anikaa with ragged breathing.

"The tall one," said Bahadur indicating with his hands, running along with her.

"Where is Rachel?"

"She is in her room, mam."

"Get him in the garden, Bahadur and arrange for refreshments," said Anikaa stopping at once.

"Yes, mam" said Bahadur and scurried towards the villa.

As told, Bahadur lead Raymond to the garden, where Anikaa was waiting for him at the outdoor table, under the gazebo. He was about to hug her, when Anikaa lifted her hands saying- "Sorry I'm drenched" and moved back.

"That means you'll smell yourself," said Raymond, his lips curving mischievously.

"What brings you here?" asked Anikaa indicating him to sit and ignoring his flirtatious attempt.

"I've gathered information about my mum's friends," said Raymond and paused when Bahadur came with drinks and refreshments.

"Mam, should I call Rachel mam?" asked Bahadur warily looking at Raymond from the corner of his eye.

"No need Bahadur, thanks. I don't want any more disturbances. And, switch on the lights," said Anikaa as evening was drawing in.

When Bahadur was out of earshot, Anikaa prompted Raymond- "You were saying..."

"As I mentioned earlier, my mother had four friends- Sameera, Lauren, Lisa and Bhagyashree. Bhagyashree knew my mother from India, she was her NGO friend. My mother married and went to US. While, Bhagyashree married some doctor in India," paused Raymond to take a swig of his drink. "Umm...this is good."

"When my mother went to America, she felt lonely and was unable to cope with my dad's status and money, you know high society, extravagant parties...lifestyle. So, my dad used to invite Bhagyashree every year for spending holidays at our house. I remember last time, she came when Karan turned 12. After that, she never came but kept in touch with my mum. Don't know what happened but she just disappeared."

"Sameera... Sameera Lawrence was Sameera Khan when she first my mother. I think I was five at that time, when we went to this soiree' and she started giving speech on Indian culture to some tight-lipped socialite. My mother instantly liked her and together they were like house on fire. They'd spend whole day talking. Out of all my mother's friends, she is my favourite- an absolutely entertaining personality. Though, she seems very western in her approach, she is an all time Indian patriot. She loves travelling and is a hard-core romantic, currently with her husband no.4. "Ummm...."paused Raymond for a sip- "And, this is important...she is coming to India after two days in an ethnic jewellery auction in Rajasthan."

"Third one, Lisa Anderson," sighed Raymond. "My dad and her husband grew up together, so we were family friends. However, they wanted me to marry Shelley, their daughter and I refused. After that, the equations changed and we were not so much together."

"Typical," thought Anikaa sipping her drink. "And the last one?"

"Lauren auntie was the best of all the hearts. She was a little older than my mum and was a great advisor. There were times, when I used to go to her for guidance and she was so open, patient & compassionate. She was the best. I still miss her," paused Raymond- "Her daughter Emily is like my sister," said Raymond.

Anikaa acknowledged that Raymond's information was the summary of Sameer's highlights. She saw the soft smile on Raymond's face, cherishing the memories. It was one of the moments when she could admire his handsome profile- straight nose, sculpted jawline covered with stubble, his kissable- pinkish lips, broad shoulders and smoking black eyes. He had the most beautiful eyes she's ever seen in a man. And, he looked devastatingly handsome when he smiled. His navy blue satin shirt on khaki- coloured chinos complimented his appealing mien. Her eyes flickered to his shaved chest which was a bit exposed from the unbuttoned part of his shirt.

"Right, so we have all," said Anikaa diverting her attention before he caught her eyes.

"Yes. What do you think?" he asked.

"I think we should meet Bhagyashree and Sameera to see if they know anything about your mother like- if she called them during the Thailand trip or afterwards," suggested Anikaa.

"Well, I can just call them and ask?" said Raymond picking up his phone.

"And, miss their expressions?" said Anikaa startled.

Raymond stared at her as if she was talking Hebrew.

"How'd you know if they are lying on phone or keeping some information?" elaborated Anikaa to make her point.

"And, you'd know that in personal?" asked Raymond wryly.

"I'm a good observer," said Anikaa with a hint of pride in her tone. "Moreover, I think this matter is sensitive and it's better to pay them a personal visit. After all they are your mother's friends."

"Alright. The auction is on 4th, two days from now. We can fly tomorrow, if you are okay with it," said Raymond concurring with her.

"Cool with me," said Anikaa smiling.

"I will get everything arranged."

"You should," smirked Anikaa.

"How about the CCTV footage?" she asked.

"The footage will be here next week."

"Good."

Raymond smiled at her and then he asked the question that was bothering him for a long time.

"Why are you doing this Anikaa, I mean you could have left the painting at my disposal, why are you helping me?"

Anikaa was about to answer him when she saw a shadow moving behind the trees. She looked over Raymond's shoulders to see clearly.

"Who's that?" asked Anikaa peering.

"Bahadur...Bahadur....," yelled Anikaa.

Bahadur, helpers and the guards came rushing out along with Rachel. Raymond was still standing there, looking at the trees.

"Bahadur, get the guards and scan the area," ordered Anikaa.

"I think we should go inside mam," said Rachel.

"No, we'll wait," said Anikaa. Anikaa saw Rachel and Raymond standing around her as if she was the one to be protected. She deftly sauntered out of the loop.

After half an hour of surveying the land, Bahadur and the security men came rushing to Anikaa. "Mam, there is no one. We checked everywhere."

"Okay," said Anikaa still looking dubiously at the trees.

"Don't worry, I can leave my boys at your house if you want," said Raymond.

"No. I must have been mistaken. Let's go inside," said Anikaa as a loud rumbling startled everybody. Anikaa stopped and looked longingly at the sky and back at the trees.

No, she was not mistaken.

After Raymond left, Anikaa went to her room for the much needed shower. When the warm water cascaded down the smooth contours of her body, she closed her eyes and lifted her face to the shower. Instantaneously, her mind sprang up the shadow incident of the evening. She anxiously opened her eyes and contemplated the incident. No, it was not the trees or their branches or any shrubs. I definitely saw a shadow, she mused. She remembered the night before when she was dozing and felt that a shadow passed through her gallery. "It can't be my imagination," she said, trusting her instincts and switching off the shower. After changing into a blue cotton full-length dress, she sauntered to her balcony door which was locked from inside. The sky was scattered with grey clouds and moon was hardly visible. She was about to slide open the door when Bahadur knocked, to call for dinner.

She turned to leave, switching off the lights and a shadow crept up in the moonlight in her balcony, the one she missed.

On the dinner table, Anikaa & Rachel were indulged in Prashant's adventure in Canada.

"Prashant is going to Coldplay's concert & is planning to visit Mani in Vancouver," said Anikaa digging in the lasagne.

"Oh no, Mani. Are you sure? He's a bad influence," said Rachel.

"Don't worry; Prashant is way past getting influenced. Moreover, they are not going to the beach this time," said Anikaa chuckling.

"Thank goodness. God save men from her...err him."

"O come on Rachel, he is not so bad," said Anikaa enjoying herself.

"No he is worse to go out with. You were not there last time, when he wore a shocking-pink bikini and flirted with every available boy on the beach, including Prashant."

"So what? Healthy flirting acts as an ego booster."

"But...,"

"Oh! Let go of that ubiquitous 'but' Rachel. Mani is a gem of a person and that's what matters...atleast to me," said Anikaa.

Mani was Anikaa's childhood friend, settled in US. His orthodox-joint-family of twenty had outcasted him on the grounds of his sexual proclamation. But who cares! Mani was a distinguished fashion stylist, happily gay and was living with his mother who was sincerely looking for a suitable groom for him for a long time.

"By the way I'm going to Jaipur tomorrow with Raymond," said Anikaa.

"What? Why?" asked Rachel, her eyes rounding with surprise.

"Cool down Rachel. Don't react like an overburdened Indian serial protagonist. I'm going there to attend an ethnic jewellery auction."

"Ethnic jewellery and you? When did that happen?" chuckled Rachel.

"Very funny. Mum's birthday is next month; I thought I'll buy something for her."

"Oh yes...but ethnic?"

"What else can I give her?"

"Well, it's a great idea. But why are you going with Raymond, leaving me all alone?"

"Because, he invited me and I thought it will be a good chance to develop contacts. Moreover, Karan and you can have your private time here," said Anikaa smiling impishly.

Rachel blushed but instantly suggested- "And you & Raymond can have your own sweet time."

Anikaa glanced at Rachel who was wiggling her eyebrows playfully.

"We are just...." paused Anikaa to choose the right word "....business acquaintances."

"Business acquaintance, huh? The way he looks at you implies more than business," teased Rachel.

"That's his problem, not mine," said Anikaa tersely.

"I have seen your face too, he does affect you," stressed Rachel to get a reaction.

"Rachel, I'm not prone to affections. Moreover, I don't think anyone can keep up with me," replied Anikaa solemnly.

"Yes, anyone would need almighty power to keep up with your mercurial tendencies, recklessness and enigmatic disposition," said Rachel rolling her eyes.

"Touché," said Anikaa twisting her face to look painful.

"Whatever you say Rachel darling, without me your life will be boring," said Anikaa spooning custard.

"No. It will outright suck," said Rachel.

Anikaa didn't liked lying to Rachel, but to avoid all the further queries and string of lies, it was best to use the auction as an excuse. However, it was not the only lie she said, she also lied about Raymond. The way those intense black eyes gazed her with ardour, affected her a lot more than she could admit.

After reaching her room, Anikaa settled on her couch, reading emails. It was around 11.30 pm, when she decided to take sleep. She ambled to her bed and instinctively looked at the balcony. The moon was out of the clouds and the balcony was illuminated with bright moonlight. She wanted to go out there, basking the moonlight. But, she stood rooted to her spot, unmoved, unfazed and kept staring outside as if waiting for something to appear. She was not scared but something stopped her from going out in the gallery. After few seconds, she took out the remote out of the drawer of the side table and drew in the automatic curtains, shutting the view.

Anikaa promptly woke up at 6am, when the soft morning light coaxed through the curtains. She drew away the curtains with the remote control, scrambled out of the bed and went to the door of the balcony. Unlocking and sliding open the door; she stepped into the balcony barefoot. The marble floor was cold and she flinched when she took her first step out. Sighing, she took a deep breath and sauntered to the railings. Unconsciously, her eyes hovered to the part of the garden where she saw that shadow. What was bothering her? It could just be her imagination and she should ignore it. But, her mind kept going to that incident. No, it is something related to the Himkhasa tribe or Jiyu. I need to see him, she thought and whirled back to her room.

After taking shower, Anikaa quickly left for the valley of flowers. Rachel was jogging in the garden and she saw Anikaa leaving on the scooty. Before she could catch up to her, she was gone.

"Not again," groaned Rachel.

Anikaa reached the valley of flowers in half an hour. As usual, when she reached the flowers, Jiyu appeared.

"Good morning, you are an early bird. Your parents have taught you well," said Jiyu in a cheerful, calm voice.

"It seems I have learned very well," said Anikaa in a low voice.

"They say arrogance is thy name," mocked Jiyu.

"Nay, it's my middle name," replied Anikaa smirking.

"I see you haven't slept well?" pointed Jiyu.

"I never do. I suffer from insomnia."

"Is that the only reason, you didn't sleep last night?" asked Jiyu in a concerned tone.

"No," said Anikaa and shifted her glance to the distant mountains. The mountains emerging from the mist produced a mesmerising sight. She turned back to Jiyu who watching her intently and recounted both the incidents related to the shadows. His eyes narrowed when she got to the part of experiencing the shadows. When Jiyu didn't say anything, Anikaa glanced up to see him. His face was tense and his eyes were closed.

"What's wrong? Do you know anything about this?" she asked.

Jiyu slowly opened his eyes and looked at Anikaa.

"You are going to Rajasthan today, I will accompany you," he said abruptly.

"Hold on. Why'd you come with me?"

"Because, it's my job to protect you," said Jiyu with sincerity.

"From whom? You know about these shadows," asked Anikaa, closely regarding Jiyu.

"It is the special power of Gnomons," said Jiyu.

"One more tribe? Your neighbours?" asked Anikaa sardonically.

Jiyu maintained his composure and said solemnly- "They are not a tribe. Gnomons belong to different realm and live in the foot of Himalayas. They are cursed to roam in the mortal world owing to their immoral and sinful activities in human life."

"In common language, they are known as ghosts," said Anikaa amused.

"No. They are not ghosts," retorted Jiyu, agitatedly.

"People who suffer untimely death, converts into ghosts- a completely different realm. They don't choose to be ghosts and wander about. But, Gnomons are the cursed ones who can never set their souls free. They live in the forbidden land, inconspicuous to others and instil fear in people who pass through their realm, with their power of shadows. One can see their shadows only in the moonlight. The pattern you describe suggests that they are keeping an eye on your house," said Jiyu.

"Really, I thought I would find bears and snow leopards in Himalayas," said Anikaa.

"Anikaa, they are not to be chaffed," said Jiyu in a deep voice.

"So they are looking for you?" asked Anikaa ignoring Jiyu's insinuation.

"They can't harm me. But, your question makes me think why they are here in this part of country, so far from their home?" pondered Jiyu.

"Is it related to that painting?" asked Anikaa.

"Maybe...."

"Did Shalini mention anything about it?" asked Anikaa.

"No, I only met her in Thailand and then she disappeared before our next meeting."

"Gnomons, the name is so peculiar," said Anikaa rolling the name on her tongue.

"They are eldritch Anikaa, they have perilous effect on the sanity of humans," said Jiyu in a warning tone, his eyes still anxious.

"Cursed- did you say? Can it be removed by using the gem?" asked Anikaa, her eyes gleaming.

Jiyu stared at Anikaa unbelievingly.

"Of course, the gem can relieve them of their misery," said Jiyu as the words dawned upon him.

"But, I don't have the gem," shrugged Anikaa.

"That's what we know. And, that's why I need to protect you."

"Well, so you suggest coming with me to Jaipur tonight?"

"I will."

Jiyu was still lost in thoughts when Anikaa left and his body diminished with the flowing mist.

Anikaa arrived at her villa at 10am where Rachel was pacing at the door. Rachel heaved a sigh of relief when she saw Anikaa and rushed to her, before she could park the scooty. Rachel again asked a string of questions which Anikaa skilfully avoided. She quickly had her breakfast and headed to the library. After completing all the office commitments for the day, she summoned Bahadur to give him instructions for next three days. Rachel was eyeing her with great interest, pondering over the cheerful mood of Anikaa. When Bahadur left, she finally asked- "You seem pretty excited about the trip."

"I'm more than excited to know, what next?" Said Anikaa and winked.

Now what does that mean? mused Rachel.

************************************

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

Error Par Ramnik Sharma

Mystère / Thriller

7K 1.4K 20
⭐ Among the winners of Indian ONC 2021⭐ ⭐ Featured in Reading List of @MysteryThrillerIN ⭐ I was standing in my balcony when I saw a silhouette of a...
6.6K 600 18
. || सर्वस्यापि भवेद्धेतुः || 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓸𝓼𝓶𝓲𝓬 𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓸𝓷 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰; 𝓷𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓼 𝓻...
34.6K 4.5K 79
"Two can only keep a secret, when one of them is dead." In the small town of Delmore, a raging wildfire begins on the night of 14th November when the...
147K 20.6K 70
Love of Arts Series - Book 1 - Painting Art (Darshana - Hridhay, Vedakumar) Hridhay My father was a demon in business and he wanted me to be one. Yes...