Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 61 Nightwake

667 37 7
By the_hooded_girl

The night was lit with stars and a gentle moon stood overhead. It was so peaceful, like the past few days had not happened at all.

If she closed her eyes, she could almost pretend things were back to normal.

Except they weren't.

Vara stared out over the valley. There was still no news about Iason, and Iolaus had not yet returned from the search. So even though she was swaying on her feet from exhaustion, she could not sleep. Not until she knew Iason's fate.

A throat was being cleared not far from her and Vara looked up to find Torcan standing there, watching her calmly.

When he had her attention, he walked up to her and looked over the valley as she had been doing before. "No news yet?" he asked.

Vara shook her head. "Nothing." By now, even the news that Iason had died would be better than this uncertainty that was driving her mad. She took a deep breath. "I don't remember if I thanked you... for before, with that Balor warrior."

Torcan shook his head. "I'm just glad I was on time." The color drained from his face as he recalled memories from long ago. It made his blood run cold. A hand landed gently on his forearm and he found Vara smiling sadly at him. "I'm alright," he assured her, "the past is the past." He studied her. "I understand your worries keep you from sleeping, but you really should try and rest. I can't have you toppling down from these walls."

The smile she gave him was weak. "What about you then? Shouldn't you be sleeping? Or see to your king's needs?"

Torcan looked out over the valley again. "Darius went to visit his men in the barracks to see to the injured."

"I know," Vara said quietly.

He blinked confused. "How...?"

Vara half turned her body and nodded her head towards the courtyard where the barracks were. "I saw him go."

Torcan frowned concerned. "You've been up here this long? He left over an hour ago."

"It's quiet here," she answered, "almost peaceful."

Torcan nodded sadly. "Yes, that it is." At least she'd had the sense of mind to put on a cloak. The night air was chilly.

"Your brother seems nice," Vara changed the subject.

Torcan looked away. "My brother is young," he countered.

A faint smile passed over Vara's face. "No younger than you and I at that age."

Torcan sighed. "He wants to get to know me."

"Isn't that a good thing?" Vara asked.

Torcan leaned on the wall and stared into the night. "Lord Izem does not agree. He doesn't want his heir anywhere near someone like me."

Vara offered him a sad smile. "Lord Izem does not appear to be a very agreeable person," she said, "still, your brother is here now, without his father. If there is ever the chance of getting to know him, it is now. Iason says he..." her voice died down. For a moment she had forgotten.

A hand landed on her arm. "Don't lose hope."

Vara let out a shaky breath. "I try not to, but it's hard. They rode into a trap." Her voice trembled. "I don't know what I'd do if he..." She turned away and wiped a tear from her cheek.

Torcan remained silent. He knew there wasn't anything he could do or say to ease her worries, because they were justified. It was very likely that something had happened. "Why don't we go inside?" he asked, "if not to rest, then to take your mind of things. I'm sure there are things to do."

Vara took a deep breath. "Cyrus banned me from doing anything at the moment. He took over command for the time being." She smiled wryly. "He'd scold me if he found out I'm here."

"He is worried about you," Torcan said.

Vara nodded. "I know."

"Let's not give him cause for more worry then," Torcan said and he offered her his arm. "I'm sure they will send for you when there is news."

Vara offered him a tired smile and accepted his arm. "Still a gentleman," she said. She allowed him to guide her away down the wall and towards the main house. But as the crossed the courtyard, there came a shout from the broken gate.

"Riders!"

Both Vara and Torcan turned towards the gate.

"It's lord Iolaus!" the guard called, "lord Iason rides with him!"

Vara was already running before the guard had finished speaking. Torcan followed closely behind.

A large group of soldiers entered the grounds, led by Iolaus. At his side rode Torcan's brother Mikos. And behind him...

"Iason," Vara breathed. He was alive.

She ran faster.

The moment Iason noticed her, he steered his horse out of the line and jumped to the ground before the animal had completely heated. "Vara!" he called and caught her in his arms when she collided with him.

"You're alive," Vara cried, "you're alright." Tears of relief ran down her face and she held him tightly.

His hands raked through her hair in a soothing manner. Iolaus had told him about the attack on Boncini, what Balor had done, the losses they had suffered. Iolaus had assured him Vara was safe and sound, that Salvire had come to their aid along with Tirzé soldiers. Still, seeing her for himself was the only thing that could ease his mind. The thought of losing her was too much to bear. Especially now...

He pressed his lips to her temple and let out a heavy breath. Trembling arms wound their way around her waist and held her even closer.

Vara looked up and studied his face concerned. "What?" she asked fearfully, "what is it?" She brushed her hand across his face. Something was wrong.

Iaosn let out a trembling breath. "Dimitris," he choked out, "Dimitris is dead."

"What?" Vara whispered startled. The fort. Iason's brother had been stationed at the fort Balor had attacked.

"They killed him," Iason choked out, "it is my fault. I stationed hi there. I told Channah I'd keep an eye on him. Channah! What will I tell her?"

Others had joined them. She was vaguely aware of Cyrus talking with Iolaus. From the corner of her eye she had also noticed Darius, but she ignored them all. She cupped Iason's face gently and shook her head, fighting her own tears. "It is not your fault. You could not have known. Balor planned this well."

Iason pressed his forehead against hers. The sight they had encountered upon arriving at the fortification was burned into his mind. Bodies had been everywhere. The camp had been set on fire and some of the ashes were still smoking. He had already known there were no survivors. He had known what he would find.

A throat was cleared and a hand landed on his shoulder. Cyrus looked at him with sympathy. "Iolaus informed me about what happened," he said kindly, "I'm very sorry for your loss."

Iason gave a nod. "Thank you."

"Why don't we all go inside," Cyrus continued, "rest. Eat something. Once you have rested, we will strategize how to act further. We cannot let this slide without retaliating. I have already sent word to my father to inform him about what took place here. He will sent out riders to round up Balor spies that might still be in the vicinity. They managed to get too far South into Zeir. We need to find out how." He paused. "Your brother will be avenged. Tell me what you need. We will make them pay."

Vara let out a heavy breath and nodded at Cyrus. "Thank you," she said softly. She was glad he had stepped in and taken things off her plate. She knew Boncini was in good hands with him. There was so much going on in her head right now that she couldn't think straight.

With worried glances at Iason, she guided him into the house and sat him down at the table. Someone, she wasn't even sure who, placed down a bowl of food for both her and Iason. All around them, people were busy with all kinds of tasks. Was it morning already?

"Vara," Cyrus said softly, "go rest now. Iason is home. He is safe. I will take care of things here. If there is an urgent matter, I will send for you, but you can't go on like this. You need sleep."

Vara rubbed her eyes. "There is still so much to..."

Cyrus narrowed his eyes sternly. "Do not make me let the physician give you a sleeping draught, because I will."

"I need to see Dimitris," Vara said distracted.

"No, love," Iason said hoarsely, "don't look." He didn't want her to see that horrific sight. They had tried to identify every soldier, but some were unrecognizable. Every soldier that had been stationed there had been registered, so they could at least inform the families.

A handful of the soldiers that had ridden with him had stayed behind to collect the bodies. They would do everything possible to get the remains back to the families.

Dimitris' body had been treated and loaded on a cart. He would make sure his brother would be buried at home.

"You too," Cyrus nodded at Iason, "rest."

Iason nodded tiredly. Rest sounded great right now. He looked at Vara and gently took her hand. "Come," he said.

With a sigh, Vara relented and followed him to their room. By now she was so sleep deprived she was convinced she wouldn't be able to sleep at all.

She let herself fall down on the mattress and closed her eyes. A moment later, Iason settled down beside her. She felt his arm wrap around her waist.

And then she was gone.

...

She wasn't sure how long she had slept and she still felt tired, but the sharp edges of her stress had gone. Iason was already up, probably checking on his men and the progress with informing the families of the fallen soldiers.

With some difficulty, Vara dragged herself out of bed and dressed into something clean before heading out.

In the kitchen, she encountered Chloe. The servant girl was stirring a large pot that contained stew. Last night, a few women from the village had arrived at Boncini to help with all the work. There were a lot of mouths to feed with so many soldiers present.

When Vara entered the kitchen, Chloe looked up. "My lady," she said, "why did you not call for me? I would have drawn you a bath."

Vara shook her head. "Later. Where is my husband?"

"He went into the study with prince Cyrus and king Darius," Chloe answered, "he should still be there, I will prepare some breakfast for you."

"Yes," vara said, "thank you."

"Vara!" A figure rushed into the kitchen and a pair of arms was wrapped around her. "I was so scared when the news of the attack reached us! And I could not come to see if you were alright until now! How Boncini looks! So much destruction. And all these deaths."

"Eudemas," Vara breathed and she locked her arms around her friend. "It's so good to see you."

Eudemas held her at arm's length and looked her over. "Are you alright?"

Vara sighed. "Tired. Grieving. Overwhelmed. But I suppose I am alright." She looked at her friend. "Iason's brother has been killed."

Eudemas nodded gravely. "Yes, I heard. I am sorry."

"I need to find him," Vara continued while making her way out of the kitchen.

"My lady, your breakfast," Chloe protested.

"Later," Vara dismissed.

Eudemas sighed and rolled her eyes. She turned to Chloe. "I'll make sure she eats. Just place it all on a tray and I will bring it."

Chloe nodded. "I'll make sure to make enough. The men will be hungry too by now. They have been in council for a while."

"I'll help you," Eudemas offered and she took platters from the cabinet and placed them on the table. There was so much to be done. "How is Lykander?" she asked. She had heard the young man had been injured.

Chloe wiped her forehead with the back of her wrist. "He is well," she said, "moody that he can't be of much assistance with one arm in a sling, but at least he will heal. Many others will not."

The girls were silent for a moment, thinking of the friends they had lost in the attack, and the ones that would not recover from their injuries.

"Does your husband not mind that you are still here?" Chloe asked, "you said you plan to stay a few days."

Eudemas sighed. "Matthew understands this is where I need to be right now. And if he needs me, I can be home quickly. The village is not that far."

Chloe nodded as she cut slices of the meat that was roasting over the fire and placed it on one of the platters. "It's a good thing the village wasn't attacked as well." She placed flatbreads next to the meat and an array of fruits on another platter. "This should be enough for now." She picked up one of the trays and waited for Eudemas to join her. Together they carried the food to the study.

...

The men were gathered around the large desk in the study. Vara recognized Darius and Torcan alongside Cyrus and Iolaus. Torcan's younger brother was there, also Drusus, head of the Boncini guard, and other men she did not know, but assumed to be commanders in Darius' entourage.

Iason was in their midst, pointing something out on a large map. He still looked tired and there was a shadow in his eyes, but he was groomed and in a fresh set of clothes.

When she entered, they all looked up. Drusus bowed at her slightly. "My lady."

Vara nodded at him and sidled up to Iason, who immediately placed an arm around her waist. "Sleep well?"

She gave a light nod and looked at the table. "What have you been discussing so far?"

Iason pointed at the map. "This is where Balor had blocked the South road so the troops from Auros could not reach us."

Vara studied it carefully and frowned. "That would also block the road to Genvi. Why would they think help would come from there?"

It was Cyrus that answered her. "It is someone that know you have friends there. They were specifically targeting you..." he paused. "We can't make accusations at this time, but we fear there is a traitor at work."

"Amongst the lords?" Vara said startled.

"It would explain how Balor found their way through the mountains," Iolaus spoke up. His face was grim. "How they seemed to be one step ahead on multiple occasion."

"But who would do such a thing?" Vara said horrified, "who could have such a disregard for the lives of our soldiers? Why?"

"We don't know," Cyrus said grimly, "as I said, we cannot make accusations. There is no proof, but for Balor troops to pass so deeply into Zeir, someone must have seen them cross the land."

"You're thinking the Northern provinces," Vara realized. She shook her head. She didn't want to think any of the lords would betray Zeir.

"We still have the Balor warriors in custody," Cyrus said, "we plan to interrogate them. If there really is someone feeding them information, we will get it out of them."

Vara's eyes steeled over. "I want to be there when you question them."

"No," Cyrus said firmly. When she glared at him, he held her gaze. "I don't want you anywhere near the interrogation, Vara, I don't know what I'll need to do to get answers. I don't want you to witness that. Besides, Balor has no respect for women. You being there won't be of any help."

"They invaded my home," Vara hissed.

"I know that," Cyrus answered seriously, "that is why Iason will be there to represent Boncini."

"I agree with the prince," Iason said calmly. He looked at Vara with a serious expression. "I don't want these men anywhere near you. I have my own score to settle with Balor. I will get you your answers, I promise."

When Vara opened her mouth to protest, Iason's eyes turned grim. "They murdered my brother, Vara. I have the right of it."

Vara let out a sigh and nodded. "Very well." She looked at Cyrus again. "What else?"

"We talked about the injured soldiers from Tirèze. Iason and king Darius agreed they can remain at Boncini until they are well enough to travel. King Darius will take his pick from the horses we have conquered from Balor as a token of appreciation."

Vara nodded. "Of course." She looked at Darius. "King Darius, will you allow Salvire the first pick? After all, they are neighbors and I understand lord Mikos did not hesitate to lend aid. Also, he volunteered to ride out in search of my husband. I owe him gratitude."

Darius blinked surprised, but inclined his head. "My lady."

"Of course you are welcome to stay at Boncini as long as you wish," Vara continued, "if you can forgive our sparse hospitality, as you can see, we are currently under construction."

A wry smile appeared on Darius' lips. "In that case, we won't inconvenience you for long. When prince Cyrus is ready to depart, we will join him on his journey back to Auros. It has been a while since I have seen my sister and I have yet to meet my nephew."

Vara inclined her head. "You are welcome to stay until you depart." She looked at Iason. "We still have that rider in custody. The one that informed us of the attack on the fortification. He claims Balor held his wife and son hostage to make him comply. Did you perhaps fine them?"

Iason frowned in thought. "I don't think so. I don't remember seeing any woman, but it's Balor we're talking about. If they took his family, they're probably dead."

"Yes," Vara nodded, "even so, it would be nice if we found them."

"I am surprised, lady Vara, that you are empathizing with this man," Darius spoke, "he is responsible for the attack on your home."

"Balor is responsible," Vara corrected, "and this man's family was taken hostage. They are all he has."

"That may be so," Darius said, "but he is still a traitor. When he arrived here, he could have easily told you the truth. He could have asked for aid to get his family back. Instead he chose betrayal. He knew very well the consequences. He does not deserve your sympathy."

Vara slightly narrowed her eyes. "That is why I am handing him over to face the king's judgement. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to retrieve his family. They did not ask for this."

Iason placed a hand on her shoulder. "I know you mean well, Vara, but we can't spare the resources to look for them. They are either dead or taken to Balor. We can't do anything."

Vara sighed and rubbed her temple. "I know."

Behind them, food was being placed on the table. Cyrus looked up and took a deep breath. "Why don't we take a break and eat something?" Everyone was still tired and frustrated. A break to take their minds off things would do them good.The courtyard had been cleaned up and reconstructions of the barn had already started. The dead had been buried and the injured had been treated. Now he was waiting for instructions from his father. The moment he got home, he would share his suspicions with his father in private. If there really was a traitor amongst them, it was essential the council did not hear about it. He didn't want the traitor to get the chance to erase his tacks.

"A break sounds good," Iason agreed. He was still coming to terms with everything that had happened. The peaceful life they had created here at Boncini had been rudely interrupted. It would take them a while to recover from this.

But they would.

Balor would pay.

He was more determined than ever to protect the ones he loved.

...

The next few days were still filled with arrangements and visitors. Riders from Auros had arrived and also a small delegation from Genvi. The leader of the groups bowed to Vara. "My lady Vara," he said, "my name is Julius, captain of the guard of Genvi. My lord Riccardo Prias has sent me to see if you are in need of assistance. We have heard of the attack. My lord would have come himself, my lady, but he fears to leave his wife alone. She is due to give birth any day now."

Vara smiled at him. "My congratulations to lady Priskilla and lord Riccardo."

Julius bowed lightly. "I will convey it, my lady." He gestured towards his squadron. "We have brought food and blankets. Is there anything else you require?"

"Thank you, Julius," Vara answered, "I am grateful for Genvi's assistance. It is most welcome. As you can see we have the help of Tirèze and troops from Auros arrived earlier today. There is, however, another matter you might assist with." She motioned for him for follow her. "Cyrus," she called once she had found the prince, "this is Julius, captain of the Genvi guard. They came to offer assistance."

"My prince," Julius bowed.

"Lord Riccardo offered food and blankets," Vara continued, "I thought they might assist us with information on how Balor passed so far inland."

Cyrus nodded in understanding and turned to the soldier. "We found the road that connects Auros and Boncini blocked by Balor troops, as well as the road that leads from Bincini to Genvi. They wanted to make sure no aid would come. They must have crossed Genvi land to reach their position. Have your scouts seen anything out of the ordinary?"

Julius frowned. "No, Your Highness. We saw nothing. Balor didn't cross my lord's land." He shook his head. "If we had seen them, we would have taken action."

"Of course," Cyrus nodded.

Julius studied him a moment. "You suspect... treason, Your Highness?"

"Are you saying I shouldn't?" Cyrus narrowed his eyes at the man.

Julius lowered his eyes and bowed. "I would not be that presumptuous, my prince. I assure you, my lord Riccardo Prias is loyal to the house Aurelios. He considers lady Vara a close friend. His wife, lady Priskilla is also a close friend to the lady Ariane, Your Highness."

Vara placed a hand on Julius' arm. "Rest assured, Julius, I have full trust in your lord and lady Priskilla. Prince Cyrus does as well. Our concern extends to Genvi. They are our neighbors as well as our friends."

"Thank you for your trust, my lady," Julius bowed.

"Please," Vara continued, "if lord Riccardo knows anything that might help us, let him send word to the king."

"I will tell him, my lady. Your Highness."

"Please stay the night," Vara offered, "it is the least we can do."

"No, my lady," Julius answered with a smile, "you are too kind. There are already so many people you have to accommodate. We will not intrude on your hospitality. We are soldiers, lady Vara, we are used to camping in the field. Don't hurt trouble yourself on our behalf."

Vara sighed and smiled. "If you insist. But at least let us give some provisions for the road. Stay and rest while we prepare a meal for you and your men."

Julius bowed at her. "My lady."

Vara inclined her head and excused herself. She would be glad for things to calm down again. The riders from Auros had scouted the area. They had found the bodies of the original riders that had set out from Boncini when the attack had first started. They had also run across some remaining Balor warriors that were trying to escape back to the border and into the mountains. The warriors had been taken into custody and brought back to Auros to face the king's judgement.

Tomorrow, the rest of the prisoners would be escorted to Auros. Cyrus and Iolaus would return with them. That meant Darius and his company would leave as well. She wanted to say goodbye to Torcan before he left.

She found him with Iason, gathering the horses that would be sent to Tirèze as a token of gratitude. Torcan's brother Mikos was also there.

It made her smile.

"Have you found some horses that suit you?" she asked.

Mikos and Torcan bowed at her lightly. "Lady Vara."

"We found a few beauties," Iason answered her while patting the neck of the horse he was currently holding.

"So you are all ready to depart," Vara stated.

Torcan nodded. "Darius will only bring a small escort with him to Auros. The rest of the soldiers will return to Tirzé with the horses."

Vara nodded in understanding and turned to Mikos. "We will be happy to have your horse escorted to Salvire, lord Mikos," she said, 'we will inform lord Izem that you accompanied your king to the city of Auros to visit court."

Mikos flinched and cleared his throat awkwardly. He still hadn't gotten used to Vara's forward nature. She was quite intimidating. "I'm not sure my father would appreciate it if I extended my journey with a trip to Auros, lady Vara," he said carefully. It was an understatement. His father would be furious.

"Nonsense," Vara waved away his concerns, "a visit from the heir of Salvire was long overdue. I am sure, Ariane would enjoy meeting you too. Are you not her kin?"

"I am," Mikos gave a nod.

"Well then it's settled," Vara said content.

Mikos stared at her dumbfounded while the other two men were trying to contain their laughter.

A loud sigh came from behind her. "What ploy is that brain of yours coming up with now, my lady?" The last part was added in a dry tone.

Vara scowled at Darius. "No ploy, king Darius. I was merely telling lord Mikos how much he would enjoy Auros."

Mikos eyed his king nervously. "My king, I was just informing lady Vara that I should return home instead."

Darius glanced at Vara before turning to Mikos. "Your journey home will have to wait. It is only fitting that the heir of Salvire accompanies me to Auros. After all, Salvire aided in defeating Balor during the attack on Boncini. Besides, there are things I need to discuss with king Marcos. Salvire should take part in it. You will ride with me."

"My king," Mikos said quietly and he bowed.

Darius glanced at Vara again with a thoughtful look in his eyes before leaving the stables. At the door he paused. "Torcan," he called.

"My king?"

"Once you finish up here, find me. We still have a lot to prepare before our departure tomorrow."

Torcan bowed. "Yes, my king."

Darius nodded and continued on his way. Torcan smiled at Vara apologetic. "Forgive me, lady Vara, it seems my king has need of me."

Vara smiled back. "I wouldn't want to keep you from your duties. Go. We will talk some more before you depart."

Torcan inclined his head and excused himself before hurrying after Darius.

Iason wrapped his arm around Vara and planted a kiss in her hair. "I should also prepare," he said softly.

Vara took a deep breath. "Do you really need to ride out tomorrow? I don't like the thought of you leaving again so soon."

Nearby, Mikos awkwardly excused himself from their presence, not wanting to intrude on a private conversation.

Iason smiled apologetically. "It's my family, Vara. I can't just send my brother's remains home and not say anything. I have to bring the news myself. This is my brother."

"I know," Vara spoke softly, "and I understand. Of course you have to go. It is just so much at the time. Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?"

He sighed. "Of course I would like you to come with me, but you are needed here, at Boncini. Especially now. I will explain it to my family. I shouldn't be longer than a few days." He cupped her cheek. "Prince Cyrus promised an escort. Don't worry about my safety."

"I'll always worry about your safety," Vara answered.

"I'll be alright," Iason assured her, "a few of the soldiers will stay behind with you for extra protection."

Vara nodded. Cyrus had already told her that. She was grateful, though it didn't make her feel safer. The soldiers at Boncini had also been skilled fighters and Balor had still attacked. And the thought of a traitor in their midst was enough to keep her up at night. Neither Cyrus nor Iason had told her what they had found out after interrogating their prisoners, but she made no illusions. Someone was threatening their safety and they had to find out who fast, before there would be a repeat of what had taken place at Boncini, and threaten the safety of all of Zeir.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 261 32
A servant's daughter befriends the prince and finds an unlikely friendship. One that would be greatly scrutinized. Pushed and pulled, the prince has...
10.4K 753 57
Princess Adira never wanted to have a royal title, and she most certainly never wanted all the pressure that came with it. She just wanted to have th...
230K 11.6K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...
2.9K 172 32
(Book 2 in The Zoshan Chronicles) [Editing in Progress] What would you do to save the people you love most? How far would you go? On the morning of a...