I'll Keep This Secret For You

By bucky_star

As an eighteen year old girl in Brooklyn, New York in the 1930's, falling pregnant unplanned is not on your a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Author's Note
Chapter 65
Sneak Peak
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Surprise!
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Author's Note
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Important Authors Note!
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Authors Note
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Author's Note
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Author's Note
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Epilogue
MISSING CHAPTER
Author's Note

Chapter 114

1K 24 23
By bucky_star

Your POV:

You knew it was going to be a short mission. Just not this short.

And because of your expectations you let your guard down which always leads to the wrong idea and many, many regrets. Of course you said goodbye. Of course you meant every word of it. But you weren't so worried. So you just smiled and kissed him and told him you loved him and that you'd see him soon. After watching how the kids had been hugging him for dear life and crying just the night before it seemed like nothing.

You swear it always happens this way. Just as something good starts to happen, the bad stuff has to come and knock that happy feeling right away again.

Peggy has rung you yesterday morning just after he left and apologised profusely. Of course you forgave her and explained that you just got upset in the heat of the moment but now you understand that it's not her fault, she just has to do what she has to do. You met up for coffee that morning and by the end of it things were back to perfectly normal.

This morning you were feeling good. Kids were all off at school and daycare, twins down for a nap. You had the morning to get all the things you've been meaning to do around the house done leaving you feeling extremely satisfied with yourself. The kids came home that afternoon and were all well behaved. They did their homework, entertained themselves, ate all their dinners and went to bed without complaint.

But then literally just as you were tucking the twins in there is in urgent knock on your door. It goes on and on and on. Clearly the person is frantic. It's eight thirty at night. It's pretty much dark out. A knock on the door at that time of day is strange regardless of who it is. You rush to answer it though despite this, not wanting the kids to be disturbed. But then you open the door to find steve and Peggy which believe it or not is even weirder. Then showing up without notice tends to mean bad things...

You've hardly opened the door before they come bursting in.

"Oh (Y/N) I'm so sorry!" Peggy sobs as she basically lunges at you, tears streaming down her face and clutching terrified at her wee bump.

"Wha- Peg? Are you okay?" You gasp taken aback.

Your blood runs cold as Steve strides in right past you, grasping a crumpled piece of paper, his brow furrowed sternly.

"Steve?" You ask in dread as you turn to him. "What's going on?"

"It's my fault." Peggy cries as she pulls away from you and wipes her nose, trying to compose herself. "You were right. I shouldn't have made him go!"

"What?! What's wrong? Someone please tell me!" You burst out frantically. "Steve?"

He looks up at you, skin pale, lips forming a thin, serious line. His hand shakes as he extends it out to you, still holding that piece of paper.

You frown at him wearily as you take it and read:

You took our asset away from us, so we're taking away any chance of you getting to keep him for yourselves now too.

All at once you feel like you're going to pass out. The blood splatter on it doesn't exactly help with the sudden nausea you feel either.

"Wh-what does this mean?" You ask weakly.

"I don't know." Steve mumbles, shaking his head stiffly and biting his lip, avoiding eye contact.

"Oh god." Peggy sobs. "How did we not see something like this coming?"

"I don't know," Steve says little more harshly and pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration.

Just then there are another three solid knocks on the door causing all of your heads to snap straight up towards it.

"Who would that be?" Steve asks, his eyes growing serious.

"I-I don't know." You shake your head terrified before hesitantly going to open it.

Immediately you feel like you're going to scream. But luckily it catches in your throat, choked down by some other feral noise instead because there's no way you would want the kids to wake up and see this.

As you slowly start to pull the door in towards you you feel a heavy weight leaning against it. You look out to eye level and don't see anyone standing there. But then you let your eyes fall to the ground and you see the legs of someone lying on your front doorstep, splayed out behind them. A strangled cry leaves your lips as you fling the door open completely and next thing you know your husbands head lands pretty much at your feet, his body in a crumpled heap on the ground.

He's so bloodied and battered and bruised that you don't recognise him at first. But when you do your first thought is, oh my god he's dead.

Bucky's POV:

I look around the big, empty warehouse that I stand in the middle of. I'm slightly confused. There's nothing here. No site of anyone or anything having been here anytime recently. But something doesn't feel right. They must be here, they have to be.

Unless they know something that I don't...

With a bad feeling coming over me I decide to head out and go back to my camp out to radio base and see if they have any new info. But just as I head for the door a whole group of men come out of nowhere right from where I'm heading and form a line blocking my way, their hands hidden behind their backs no doubt hiding weapons of some kind. They all wear black, all have blank expressions on their faces.

"Hello Sergeant Barnes." One jeers menacingly. "Going somewhere?"

Instantly, I take up a defensive stance, scanning the line of men.

"Wh-who are you?" I ask boldly.

"Oh I think you know who we are." Another chuckles.

I watch as one of them starts to circle around behind me, pulling out a baseball bat and swinging it around playfully. My feet shuffle around to follow his tracks, but then I stop.

"Turn around and I'll blow your brains out." One of them growls.

I whip back around to see him pointing a gun at me. My heart skips a beat and my hands fly up to show that I'm defenceless.

"What do you want? I'll do anything," I say, trying not to panic.

"We want you back," another says menacingly. "But you and your friends took that chance away from us. So now we think it's only fair that if we can't have you, no one can."

"What?" I frown.

But then it clicks. They must know that I can no longer be triggered.

"How the hell do you know that?!" I shout angrily.

"Easy now." The first one reasons a little more calmly, taking a step towards me. "We don't want this to go down any more messily then it's already about to."

I cock my head at him, confused. But then I hear the shuffling of feet as the one who I had completely forgotten was behind me comes up and next thing I know there is an almighty whack as he hits me square in the back of the head with the bat. It rattles my brain, I see stars and collapse to the ground, falling to my side.

"Ahh!" I shout and my hands go to the back of my head.

Straight away the same guy is on top of me, pinning me to the ground. I watch with blurred vision from the knock as the rest of the group advance on me, each bearing a different array of weapons whether it be balled up fists or a knife. Their footsteps echo the closer they get.

I grunt and squirm but can't get free. I'm too dizzy.

Just then the one who seems to be the leader crouches down in front of me and grabs a fistful of my hair, pulling it harshly so that I'm sitting up again.

"Ah!" I gasp again as he yanks me upright.

He doesn't say anything, just nods at his comrades who all start to laugh and whistle and murmur excitedly.

"There you go boys. Have your fun." He murmurs, looking me dead in the eyes. "But please, no weapons. We'll be a little bit nice."

I hear a whole lot of knives go clattering to the ground just then.

"Wooh!" One of them cheers.

I'm still pinned down so can't do anything as all of a sudden they swarm me. There must be at least ten of them on top of me all of a sudden all at once, pummelling me. Punching me in the face, the gut, the side. They yank at my limbs and my hair and sneer in my face. The whole thing is a blur. I cry out and try to fight them off but there's too many of them and I'm already weak from that first hit.

Finally there is a shrill whistle and just like that they all step back leaving me laying there quivering. I groan and roll onto my side, coughing only for a spatter of blood to come out and start dribbling down my chin. I spit out a big wad of it before glaring up at the men standing around me looking smug, drawing in a weak, raspy breath, my whole torso aching and on fire.

"Are you done?" I croak.

"Oh no." One of them laughs. "We haven't even gotten to the weapons yet."

Next thing I know I feel myself being pulled up by the arms. I grunt in pain as they stand me up but manage to find the strength to try and shove one of them. Although I realise straight away that that's a bad idea when all of a sudden there is the pressure of a knife being held to my throat.

"Act up and you'll never see your family again." The man who's now right in front of me spits in my face. "Understand?"

I nod stiffly, gritting my teeth.

"Good, now do as your told and go where you're taken."

The men then drag me over to a nearby pillar and shove me down against it. They tie my hands up behind me and disappear for a moment. I look around and all of a sudden can't see any of them.

It's got to be some kind of trap.

"Hello?" I shout.

Still nothing.

I must stay there, straining against the ties for a good few minutes before anyone reappears. It's the same two men, holding a large barrel as they cross over to me from the darkness of the shadows of the warehouse.

"What is that? What are you going to do to me?" I ask frantically, my breathing rate picking up.

But I don't get my answer in the form of words. Instead they dump what must be at least a gallon of water right over my head without me even getting the chance to have taken a breath before it. The weight of the water all at once smashes onto my head. Finally when it stops I gasp for breath coughing and spluttering.

"Alright Sparky! You're up!" One of them shouts before they disappear again.

For a moment I can't see anything again. But then out of nowhere there are two brief sparks and a zapping noise just before someone steps out of the darkness holding some kind of electrical cables.

Oh god. I think. Electrical cables and water are not a good mix.

I know that from my initial days being trapped here and tortured into the Winter Soldier. That is a type of pain I never want to experience ever again.

But regardless, the man continues walking towards me.

"No." I whimper and try to scramble away from him. "No please!"

But it's no use. He's right on top of my soaking wet form before I know it and I hardly register it before it feels like lightening is shooting through me.

A scream leaves my body without control as I feel myself convulsing from the pain. I can't even react in the way that I want to or expect to because it's just too much. I'm literally blinded by it all, my whole body is on fire, it's like the most intense pins and needles ever. He stops for a second and I collapse in a heap, gasping for breath, twitching and yelping, unable to help it. I lay there limply, unable to do anything. I don't want to show them that I'm weak but this is a whole new level of pain. Before I've even had time to recover he's jabs the prods back into me and I hear that blood curdling noise as he sparks them to life again.

Once more I scream, feeling like my body is being ripped apart before all of a sudden it all just becomes too much and everything goes black.

Your POV:

He's lying on his stomach, dried blood caked in his hair and covering at least three quarters of his face from where it has dripped down too. Although his shirt is black you can see the blood stains that are sleeping through that as well.

"Buck!" You gasp, collapsing to your knees. "No, no, no. Please!"

You roll him over and pull his head into your lap, cradling it there and cupping his cheeks as you immediately start to cry.

"Oh my god!" Peggy shrieks and her and Steve come rushing over and bend down around him too.

"Buck no! Come on." Steve mumbles seriously as he crouches down and leans his ear against his chest. "Please be breathing. Please be breathing."

You watch him, waiting for an answer and trying not to break down completely.

"I'm calling Howard and hoping that he hasn't left work yet. We need to take him into shield right now," is all he says when he sits up again.

"And? Is he breathing?" You whimper.

Steve shakes his head. "But there's a heartbeat."

A sob escapes Peggy's lips and she clasps a hand over her mouth. Steve disappears into the kitchen to use the phone. He's back in after hardly a minute.

"Come on. Let's go." He states as he comes striding past you and scoops up Bucky bridal style, his head lolling backwards lifelessly.

"What about the kids?" You ask frantically. "I can't just leave them here!"

"I'll stay with them." Peggy swallows hoarsely. "This is my fault. The least I can do is protect your children."

"It's not your fault Peg. Yo-"

"There's no time. (Y/N) we need to go right now." Steve interrupts you and starts ushering you out the door.

He places Bucky in the backseat of the car and you climb in after him, cradling his head in your lap. Steve drives off straight away.

"Why would they do this." You sob as you look down at your husbands expressionless face and stroke his cold cheek.

"Hydra are relentless (Y/N). We pissed them off. They'll do anything to get back at us. We should've seen this coming if I'm perfectly honest," Steve says coldly.

You can see him scowling in the rear view mirror.

Thank god you don't live far away from S.H.I.E.L.D. because by the time you get there you don't know how much longer you can stand just sitting there looking at Bucky in this state. Steve pulls up, rushes around to help you out and lifts up Bucky to carry him inside. You follow after him helplessly.

It's all a blur as you watch a doctor come rushing over with a gurney and Steve places Bucky onto it. The doctor starts to head off again before you've even had time to catch up.

"Wait!" You sob as you run after them. "No! Where are you taking him?"

"(Y/N)." Steve grunts as he catches you and pulls you into his chest. "Shh, it's okay. We will go find them. You're okay. He's going to pull through."

All you can do is cry into his chest and watch as the doctor and his growing crowd of nurses disappears around the corner with your husband.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 82 54
'𝐈 𝐖𝐈𝐒𝐇 𝐈 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐁𝐄 𝐀 𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐄, 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐘𝐎𝐔.' ††† Even if every memory from 1917 comes roaring back to you, being a former Hy...
107K 2.6K 37
~~~~~~ His thoughts are just there softly. Patiently waiting to be heard. Thoughts of me. "So tell me something else you think I should know..." I s...
706K 17.4K 40
You are one badass assassin. The deadliest one alive. You're also Steve Rogers' long lost younger sister. When Steve and the Avengers find you single...
5K 132 34
Darla was a simple girl born in West Virginia in the late 1910s. She grew up a kind, smart, generous and caring person. So.. how exactly did she find...