The Harlem Way

By CHOCstories

If I tell you, you belong to me. Would you be mine in reality? And not just in my mind. I'm so tired of being... More

01. A Day In The Life Of...
02. Do I Know You?
03. Damn...The Weekend.
04. Reaching Out.
05. Get To Know Me {Part 1}
06. Get To Know Me {Part 2}
07. To New Beginnings
Drive-In Movies & Red Velvet Cupcakes (Short)
08. A Different Side.
09. What Friends Are For
10. Feelings & Truths {Part 1}
11. Feelings & Truths {Part 2}
12. The Proof
13. Street Cred
14. Consequences
15.
16. My Side Of Town {Part 1}
17. My Side Of Town {Part 2}
Meeting Lexington (Short)
18. A Little More Of Me{Part 1}
19. A Little More Of Me {Part 2}
Fellow Readers/Followers!
Girl Talk (Short)
20. Bad News
21. In The Name Of Crazy
22. My Dirty Little Secret
23. All Of Me
24. Back On Track {Part 1}
25. Back On Track {Part 2}
Boo'd Up|Ella Mai Style (Not So Short)
26. Take You There {Part 1}
27. Take You There {Part 2}
28. This Is Reality
( Short)
29. Congratulations
Birthday Boy (Short)
30. Thanks Greetings {Part 1}
31. Thanks Greetings {Part 2}
Breakfast With Friends (Short)
32. Civilized Conversations
33. Caught
34. Moment Of Truth
Here's A Little Advice (Not So Short)
35. Letting Go
36. It's Your Birthday {Part 1}
37. It's Your Birthday {Part 2}
Author Questions
It's Still Your Birthday {Short}
It's Still Your Birthday {Not So Short}
38. Back At Home
{Short}
40. Christmas With the Morgans & Hamptons {Part 2}
Breakfast With New Friends {Short}
41. New Years Cheers
42. {Part One}
43. (UPDATE! CAN Y'ALL SEE IT?)
44.
🌹

39. Christmas With the Morgans & Hamptons{Part 1}

6.8K 425 175
By CHOCstories

December 25, 2016
Christmas Day

Narrator's POV

Clouds of snow continued to fall on Christmas morning, covering the streets of New York. Some people were already shoveling their cars out of the snow, while others roamed the streets. The city never slept, no matter what the weather was.

It was quiet inside the Morgan residence, everyone still asleep except for Lacee', who was overly excited about today. She had asked Santa for a bunch of gifts so she hoped that they were under the tree, awaiting her. She had spent all of Christmas Eve yapping about how good of a girl she's been and Santa knew it too. "Daddy!" She whispered, patting his face softly. "Mommy!" She did the same to Saire', looking between the both of them to see who would get up first. When neither one of them moved, she frowned, getting down from the bed.

Going over to the night stand, she hit random buttons on the alarm until it blared. "Wake up! Wake up! It's Christmas! It's Christmas!" She shouted as she jumped up and down. Saire' and Lance both shot up at the sound of the alarm, shooting Lacee' a look of disapproval. "Lacee' Bug, really?" Lance asked as she nodded with a smile. "Really Daddy! We have to open gifts!" She insisted. "Can you at least brush your teeth and wash your face first?" Saire' sleepily cut in as she removed the sheets from her body.

"You have to brush too Mommy, come on." Grabbing her hand, she used her toddler strength to pull her mother out of bed. "We gotta wake Auntie Rai' and Uncle Mar! Oh! And Grammy and Poppa too!" Her excitement continued to show as she led her mother all the way to the bathroom. Every Christmas holiday was spent at their family home, just the same as Thanksgiving. Instead of dinner, Sage and the twins cooked a big breakfast. This was the one time she didn't mind the girls being in the kitchen.

"It's so early Lace, mommy is still sleepy." Saire' whined as she grabbed their toothbrushes. "Mommy, you can't be sleepy, it's Christmas!" She replied in an innocent tone. That was her excuse for everything today. "What does that mean?" Saire' giggled. "I don't know." Lacee' responded with a shrug as she continued to brush her teeth. Lance entered the bathroom, grabbing his things to do the same. "We should be used to this by now." He stated. "You're used to early call times, not me." Saire' pointed out, making him chuckle as he moved beside her to the other sink.

"I don't even get up this early for work." She added. "All done!" Lacee' announced as she hopped down from her stool. She wiped her face again and put her washcloth back in its place. "Did you get your tongue?" Lance looked down at her. Nodding, Lacee' stuck it out. "Yes! Hurry Daddy!" She rushed him before dashing out of the bathroom. She raced down the hall to her Uncle's room, pushing the door open. "Uncle Mar! Uncle Mar!" She called, running to jump on his bed. The sudden feeling of her body being thrown down on his made him flinch. "Ahhh...Lacee'." He groaned groggily. "Get up! It's Christmas!" She giggled. Removing the pillow from his face, he sat up in bed.

"You know...Santa doesn't want us up early in the morning to open gifts." He claimed. "Yes he does." Lacee' responded in a sure tone. "How do you know?" He challenged her. "Because it's Christmas Uncle Mar, get up!" She demanded. "Is Bubba up yet?" Nodding, Lacee' climbed down from the bed. "Yes! Her and Daddy! Now I gotta get Auntie Rai' up!" She remembered before running out of his room to the next. This time, before she could enter Sarai's room, she had opened the door. "I'm already up." She smiled down at her niece before picking her up.

"Did you brush your teeth?" Lacee' asked as she looked up at her aunt. "I did. Did you?" She responded. "Yes! Now can we open gifts?!" Now that everybody was awake, they could finally go downstairs and gather around the tree. "Let's go." Sarai' picked her up, heading down the hallway and to the stairs. Saire' and Lance coming soon after. Christmas music could be heard coming from the radio in the living room as they approached the kitchen.

Sage and Kofi were already up and in the kitchen, as she was prepping breakfast. Kofi on the other hand sat at the island with a glass of eggnog, awaiting his granddaughter's presence. "Poppa, it's Christmas!" Lacee' yelled as she ran into the kitchen. "Woah, slow down. Merry Christmas." He caught her before she could make another run for it. Everyone except for Samar had exchanged a 'Good morning and a Merry Christmas because he was still upstairs...asleep. Whether he was awake or not wasn't Lacee's problem anymore though. She was ready to see what was under the tree.

"Merry Christmas everybody!" Lacee' shouted before pulling Kofi along to the living room. "Well good, Daddy can take on her excitement this early in the morning. I wanna go back to sleep." Saire' complained. "Bubba!" Her father called just as she went to sit down. "Shit." She muttered. "I got it. You help Momma cook." Lance kissed her forehead before going to the living room. "Cum." Sage called the twins over so that they could help her prepare breakfast. "Merry Christmas Mommy." They both spoke at the same time. "Merry Christmas." She returned with a smile, kissing them both.

"Weh Jabri?" Sage asked. "I'm sure Lex is waking him up right now too, so he's hot." Sarai' giggled. "He'll be over later." She informed. "An di oddah boy?" Sage asked about Corey. "He's with him too. We picked him up a few days ago." This would be the first time her family got to meet both Corey and Lex. She knew that it would be no problem and her parents would accept them with open arms. Honestly, she was happy that Corey would have a loving family to spend the holidays with this year. And she was happy that Jabri could spend the holidays with both Lex and Corey. Everybody was in a great space and it showed on this Christmas morning.

"He better bring my baby back unharmed." Sarai' spoke as she and Saire' moved around the kitchen, helping Sage. "He's too big to be in that damn jeep." Saire' claimed, getting a laugh from both Sage and Sarai'. They had swapped rides because Jabri claimed he wanted to sport the jeep for the color. Something about mint green going with his skin in the winter time. It was all bull crap to Sarai', she figured he just wanted to stunt in the jeep. "I am enjoying his Range though...brings back memories." Sarai' gave Saire' a look, making sure Sage didn't catch on to her comment.

Saire' smiled with a shake of her head. "I never did get my new jeep...so hopefully that's my Christmas gift." She sent a shot at her sister. "Wah did happen wid yuh car?" Sage turned to Saire' for an answer. "Well, that fine boyfriend of hers decided to—" Saire' started before Sarai' cut in. "Mommy, she's lying." She claimed. "Mi don't even wa fi kno." Sage shook her head at her child. "Baby yuh ave sup'm fi tell me?" Sage questioned as she looked over her shoulder at Sarai'. "Noooo...." Sarai' cheesed but she knew that her mother didn't believe her.

"Mommy...she's left the nest." Saire' snitched. "DUB!" Sarai' yelled at her smirking twin. Sage turned from the sink, folded her arms and gave her child 'the look'. "Yuh gi up yuh pum pum an no tell me?" Sage eyed Sarai', making her purse her lips together. "I'm gonna go help Lace open her gifts now." Saire' announced before sneakily leaving the kitchen. Sucking her teeth, Sarai' began to set the plates on the table. "Mommy, dis a uncomfortable." She whined, making Sage smile. "Suh that's a yes?" Sage questioned, even though the smile gave it away.

"Yes." She answered quietly. "Babygirl!" Sage palmed her forehead dramatically, looking at Sarai'. "Yuh bout tuh tell mi yuh pregnant?" She followed up quickly in an inquiring tone. "Mommy, no!" Sarai' answered quickly. "Yuh being safe?" Sage followed up. "Yes." She responded without going into detail. Truth was, her and Jabri hadn't had sex since the trip. She made an appointment to get the IUD but it wasn't until the second week of January.

Until then, it was safe sex or no sex.

"Mi can't believe it, I'm surprise." Sage admitted. "I was too. Please don't tell Daddy!" Sarai' begged. Sage chuckled, raising her brows at her. "Mi won't, nuh til di wedding day." She promised. "Tell Daddy what?" Samar popped into the kitchen. "Mind your business." Sarai' shot at him. "Everybody! Come!" Sage called for everyone to enter the kitchen. "Samar yuh sey grace." She instructed as everyone gathered around the table. Hand in hand, they bowed their heads while Samar blessed the food. Once finished, they took their seats and began to feast.

--

"Now what are we supposed to do with all these toys?" Saire' asked her mother. They were now all in the family room, accompanying Lacee' while she opened pretty much all of her toys. She had the guys on the floor putting together her huge doll house. She insisted that it be put together today because her dolls needed somewhere to sleep and play.

"They have to stay here." Saire' answered. "There are too many to take back and we're not driving." She added. "Wi wi just put dem inna har room here But she's a guh wa dem back at home." Sage said. "She has more than enough at home, she'll live." Saire' assured her mother as Sarai' giggled. "Well, when she's here she'll drive us crazy with them." Sarai' butted in. "Mommy, where's our gifts?" She pouted at Sage. "Christmas isn't bout yuh anymore." Sage joked with a smirk. "We were first, actually." Saire' pointed out. "Thank you. We get gifts by default." Sarai' stated before her and Saire' got up to go over to the tree.

Like big kids, their eyes lit up when they found their names on a few gift boxes. "I'm taking a break." Kofi announced as he stood from the floor. "Pop, you didn't do one thing." Samar chuckled. "I bought it." He shot back. "Say cheese." He held his phone up to snap a picture of both him and Lance. Turning his camera in the direction of the tree, he snapped a few pictures of the girls. "Ma, I know we're twins but the matching sets are getting out of hand." Sarai' half joked. Sometimes wearing the same thing was a conscious move, other times it wasn't. Now that they were grown, it didn't happen as much, unless Sage forced it.

"Hush up! Dem deh a home pieces an yuh wi wear dem. Maybe save dem fi di reception." Sage sassed. "Ahhh but the shoe!" Saire' screamed in excitement. Every year Sage added to both their heel, and piece collections. Kofi played it safe and dripped them with the best gold jewelry from many places all over the world. And money. Who didn't love money? He already had to deal with one diva so he kept it simple for the twins. "Mommy knows I love me a good shoe." Sarai' giggled, slipping her foot into her new DIOR boot. "You never go wrong with the shoe Mommy." Saire' approved of both her and her sister's new gifts. "Thanks Mommy." They spoke at the same time before giving her the gifts that they bought. "I know you two didn't leave me hanging." Kofi came back into the family room with a drink in his hand.

"Of course not!" Sarai' grabbed a huge gift bag and another box to give to her father. Following up, Saire' handed Sage her gifts too. They didn't ask for much, nothing at all really. All they wanted was for their children to be happy and successful. "Aye, me too! I know I don't come home as much, but don't be rude." Samar picked himself up from the floor, leaving Lance to finish the dollhouse. He hadn't really said a word since he'd been on the task. Lacee' was occupied with everything else in the room, so she wasn't much of a bother either. Like her daughters, Sage also enjoyed a nice heel and a bag. Her favorite brand was CELINE, so the girls draped her in many pieces from the line. "Mi luv it all! Now yuh haffi tek mi out." Sage eyed Kofi. "Name the place." Kofi stated with a simple shrug.

There was nothing he wouldn't do for either of his girls.

"So...none of y'all got me nothing?" Samar cut in again, holding up his empty hands hands. "Will you get your ass up and look under the tree?" Kofi fussed. "And I thought I was the crybaby." Sarai' teased. "Oh no Babygirl, you still are. He's just craving attention." Kofi made it clear sending them all into a hearty laugh. "Lance gi it a rest an cum open yuh gifts." Sage called him over. "I didn't think I would have this much trouble putting together a playhouse." He sighed, flopping next to Saire' on the sofa.

"Be thankful it's not diamonds yet." Samar chuckled, handing Lance one of his gifts. "I'll take another drink to that. She's gonna want heels by age ten and expect a car at sixteen, you have plenty of things to worry about my friend." Kofi patted Lance's shoulder. "Don't remind me." He shook his head. "And the wedding! Which is only a few weeks away!" Sarai' clapped. "Are you guys ready?!" She asked the soon to be bride and groom. "More ready than I've ever been." Lance smiled as he looked over at Saire'.

"I'm ready but I'm nervous." She admitted. "Nerves normal, Bubba." Sage assured her. "They are. You're gonna feel that until it's over." Kofi butted in. "I'm not nervous." Lance beamed confidently. "I've been dreaming of this day since I met her." He added. "I was the same way. It takes 2 seconds to say 'I do'. You will be fine." Kofi spoke to Saire'. "I am so happy for you both! I can't wait to see you in your dress Dub!" Sarai' cheesed. "Mommy, everything is good, right?" Saire' looked to Sage. "Bubba, no worries. Mommy ave it anda control." She assured her with a wink "Okay." Saire' smiled nervously. "It's Christmas! Less wedding talk, more jingles!" Kofi lifted his glass. "Oh lord." Sarai' shook her head at her father. "He's about to start tripping, I'm gonna play with Lace." Samar announced as he got up. "Hot chocolate anyone?" Sage stood, pulling the girls up with her.

"That's messed up!" Kofi shouted as the girls made their way into the kitchen. "I'll have another plate." Lance ran behind them, leaving Kofi alone with his glass.

--

Harlem| NY

Over at Jabri's place, things were a bit quiet as he had just been awaken by Lex. Corey was still asleep and he had let him because he knew the pain meds had him out like a light. "DADDY YOU GOT ME A BIKE!" She screamed, making him place a finger to his lips. "Shhh...you gotta be quiet cus' Corey still sleep. You like it?" He asked. "I love it! It's so pretty! And it's pink!" She jumped with a bright smile on her face.

"Ya favorite color. You got more stuff under the tree." He led her to the living room, hitting the light for her to see the many gifts. Because he was an artist, he took his time wrapping all of the gifts perfectly. The only things that weren't wrapped was her kitchen set, her bike and the life sized Barbie.

"It's so many! All these for me?!" She happily skipped across the floor to the tree. Jabri sat on the couch and used his phone to take pictures of her opening her gifts. "Yup. All ya gifts got ya name on it. And you got clothes and shoes over here." He pointed to the other couch where all of Corey stuff was laid out. "Are these for me too?" She pointed to other gifts on the other side of the tree. "No, they for Rai'." He told her. "Is she coming over?" Lex wondered. "We gon' see her later. She with her family right now." Nodding in response, her attention went back to her toys.

Unlike Sarai's family, Jabri and his celebrated differently. They didn't all stay under one roof and wake up for breakfast the next morning. Gifts were exchanged but they didn't necessarily have a routine, or a time to meet up. Everyone did their own thing and met up when they did to give merry wishes and enjoy food. But it wasn't brought in big how the Morgans' holidays were. Nevertheless, it was enjoyed and cherished.

"I thought you was sleep." Jah looked up to see Corey limping into the living room. "I was." Corey answered groggily. "Merry Christmas Corey!" Lex chanted as she ran over to hug him, making sure to be gentle. "You have gifts too!" She pointed. Jabri opted out of buying another Rolex and decided to get him something more meaningful instead. And of course he laced him with the hottest clothing brands and shoes, along with the latest game system. Thankfully, he didn't have to do much for him because he was older. But, he did want to make sure Lex had everything she put on her list plus a little bit more.

"I ain't know you was getting me something." Corey looked surprised as he made his way over to the couch. "I couldn't just leave you hanging, had to getchu some drip." Jah chuckled. "Thank you." Corey dapped him. "All good. You in pain?" He asked him. "Hell yeah." He winced as he checked out his shoes and clothes. "How long you got til' you take the meds?" He asked. "Like another hour or something...I'on know. I take them when I'm hurting." Corey said. "Nah, you gotta take it when you supposed to, not every time you hurting." Jah shook his head, remembering where that got him. He would have to monitor when Corey took his meds now, just to be safe. He didn't want him falling in the same boat as him, especially not this young.

"I gotchu something else too. It ain't a Rollie but it's something better. You let somebody take this and I'ma beat ya ass myself." Jabri chuckled but he was serious. "I ain't even let nobody take the Rollie, my aunt stole it. They stole all my shit-stuff down there." He corrected himself. "You won't get another one of them until like ya 18th birthday...maybe." Jah shrugged. "4 years though?" Corey complained as he untied the ribbon on the box in his hand. "You be aight." He laughed. "This chain tough though!" Corey cheesed. "Take it all the way out..." Jah instructed as he held his phone up to record.

Quietly, Corey admired the sparkling gold link with a picture of his mother and father hanging from it. "I had it for a minute now forreal. I wanted to give it to you before you left but I'm glad I didn't." Jah broke the silence as he watched for Corey's reaction. He could tell that he was holding back tears. "If you gotta cry, go head. You get a pass this time." Jah tried to joke to lighten the mood. "Fuck you." Corey mumbled lowly so that Lex wouldn't hear as he quickly wiped his eyes, swallowing the harsh cry in his throat.

He didn't want to cry, not right now anyway. He would rather have that moment by himself. "I'ma let that slide cus' it's Christmas and Lex right here." Jah stood. "I'm finna fuck you up in this 2K though." He grabbed the PS4 box and began to hook it up. "Thanks again Jah. I know I be f-messing up all the time but I'm done with the streets, forreal." He promised him. "Don't even tell me man, just do it. We ain't gotta do allat right now, we can chop it up later." He switched topics to keep the mood light.

He didn't want to spend the holidays getting on Corey's case like he usually did. None of his mistakes mattered at the moment. He was just happy that he was alive and safe, back where he belonged.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.4K 1.6K 40
Summary: This story is about an incredible unique autistic girl and her two equally incredible best friends. Will they ever get out of the friend zon...
1.9K 236 83
"Is this actually real?" You ask your best friend. "Absolutely. And I'm glad it is." ----- Welcome to a time of change. A different air to breathe...
967K 31K 80
Being alone? Check. Being afraid? Check. Being abused? Check times 3. Honestly, my life wasn't this bad before, not until I ended in foster care... S...
83.2K 1.2K 31
Tell me why I can't seem to face the truth. I'm just a little too not over you. copyright @bootlegrayson