Honey and Sulphur (Witcher/Ga...

By WhileFalling

Annabel gets in an unfortunate predicament and a dangerous man offers a deal. But Annabel is not from Velen a... More

Welcome
Part one: the ship and the journey
Part two: The way to the Crossroads
Part three: The meeting at the crossroads
Part five: On the road and an unfortunate meeting
Part six: The city of Oxenfurt *
Part seven: The Von Everec Estate and more flowers
Part eight: The hedonist, a second deal
Part nine: Lonely times in Oxenfurt
Part ten: Blacksmith and a new meeting
Part eleven: Meeting in between the sheets *
Part twelve: Playing and losing
Part thirteen: A walk by the river with the Man of Glass *
Part fourteen: life continues as if nothing happened
Part fifteen: The Wedding and Vlodomir *
Part sixteen: The wedding, drinking mead, the lovely couple
Part seventeen: After the wedding
Part eightteen: Rough hands and a new victim spotted
Part nineteen: A bond has formed *
Part twenty: The End
Small announcement

Part four: The sad man, a first deal

387 20 0
By WhileFalling

Music is by Edvard Grieg.

Art is by Jean-Charles Cazin, called Cabañas_del_Norte (1891).

I really like long dialouge apparently.

I hope you enjoy!

Part four:

The next day was similar to the previous one. Geralt went out to hunt, I didn't see him before I woke up. There was work as a barmaid in the tavern for a day since the usual barmaiden had fallen ill. During the work before the costumers came in; scrubbing tables, mopping the floor and preparing meals, I found my thoughts wandering to O'Dimm and what awaited me that evening. I hope I would have enough time to eat beforehand, but I guess, for a being that controls time, he would just have to wait.

During a solitary dinner, Geralt had not returned, I examined my fingers. They started to get rougher from the menial labour I'd been doing the past few weeks. A sense of pride arose in my chest, a strange mix as I thought back to my previous life as a student. I hadn't worked much, not like this. A nice change of pace.

Then a pang drummed through my heart, making me jolt upright. What if this is not a dream? I've treated it as one, but never before have I had a dream that lasted weeks. Never have I done so many annoying daily tasks in dreams, from putting on my stockings to going to the loo (which is quite primitive here), and even cleaning and eating. I felt my jaw clench as panic arose. If there's one thing the belief that it's all a dream was good for, it was making sure I didn't freak out.

But now I sure was.

I shoved the wooden plate away from me and stood up. "If the Witcher comes back, tell him I've gone out." I told the innkeeper. With long strides I walked outside, inhaling the fresh air deeply. The door fell heavily in its frame behind me, but I barely heard it. I kept walking and soon found myself by the crossroads and the willow trees. A gentle breeze made them sway, the wind felt nice on my skin. The sky darkened steadily, the moon shone from just behind the tree line.

I could really go for a smoke right now, instead I pressed my cold, sweaty palm on my chest, where my heart was hammering against the ribcage. "Fuck." I whispered and I crouched down as an alternative to sitting. My head swam, feeling a little dizzy.

"Greetings, Annabel." O'Dimms voice sounded as it always did. I pressed my hand harder to my chest. "Is this a bad time for you?" He walked closer to me.

I knew he was asking just for show, so I shook my head. "It's fine. A distraction would be welcome." I stood up, looking at him. A slight smile playing at his lips, his ever present merchant smile, and as my eyes travelled over his form, I saw the sunflower at his side. He had tucked it under one of the leather belts, next to the small knife. An artistic contrast. "You kept the flower." Surprise was evident on my face.

"Of course I have." His tone dismissive. "What has gotten you into such a state? A lover's quarrel perhaps?" He sounded amused, at my expense of course. I ruffled my hair and realised a few tears had slipped out of my eyes, my sight was a tad blurred. Softly, but instinctively, I muttered another curse. O'Dimm reached in the bag on his side and handed me a handkerchief. Without thinking, I reached out to take it. I pressed the soft, white fabric to my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Thanks. But I wouldn't cry over a lover." I said, then followed with a brave: "So where does the quest to repay my gratitude for your heroic rescue take us today?"

He grinned slightly. "Right now, there's a man getting tired of loneliness after he lost almost all he had." He held up his finger in a showy gesture. "And we will pay him a visit. He lives just a short way from here. Walk with me."

The road was lit by the moon and the stars. I thought of home, my little home in the city where I would never see stars in this way. So plentiful, so bright. Again I pressed the handkerchief to my eyes. Why was I getting so sentimental, so weak? Even as I knew being emotional is not a weakness, it would definitively be perceived as such here. Would have preferred it if O'Dimm wasn't the one who saw it.

"So what happened? It has only been a day since our last meeting." He asked. I eyed him from the side.

"Don't pry." I warned.

"I must admit, you're quite the mystery. I haven't been able to discover what you were doing at the ship, or here for that matter. So tell me, how did you end up there?"

"Who are you, O'Dimm? You are no ordinary merchant. And yet you kept the flower." I fired back, knowing he wouldn't answer the question. The sunflowers around us made way for a field that was currently not in use, black earth lay bare. It smelled of herbs, rosemary, and earth itself, very pleasant.

"Is it not a token of gratitude? You know I generally keep those."

"It wasn't. I gave Geralt one as well." I reminded him. Now I had the tear-stained handkerchief in hand, done with drying my eyes. What is proper etiquette in this situation? I can't just give it back, but I've no desire to keep something that belonged to O'Dimm.

"Then I suppose I will thank you for your gift." He smiled a little wider at me. His pace was slower than I imagined it to be. More nonchalant. Geralt always strode with purpose, and his legs were much longer than mine.

"And I will thank you for the handkerchief. Do you want it back with the tears or do you want me to wash it out first?"

He laughed at that. "You can keep it. I've no need for it anymore. But about the task at hand. I assume you know what's expected of you?"

"I'm not a seer." I said. "I guess I'll just stand around, looking pretty for the poor fellow."

"Oh yes, a dreamer, was it?" he mocked. "If he proves a little difficult, it would be a great show of gratitude were you to flirt with him. Oh, don't pretend to be shocked at my directness, you still have a visible love mark."

I shrugged, again adjusting the front of my dress, but the moonlight was too little to see the discolouration of the mark. "I suppose I have you to thank for that one as well." I said without thinking, then quickly shook my head. The scenery changed from long stretches of fields to trees. It was much darker as we entered the forest, but enough moonlight shone through the leaves to light the path.

He cocked an eyebrow, baring his teeth in a smile. "How so?"

I pointed to the mark on my left wrist. "People keep asking why I've no husband and I tell them I've been cursed to never find my one true love. The mark makes it much more convincing. And sometimes very friendly people come to console me."

O'Dimm laughed a genuine laugh, his eyes sparkling. "How creative of you."

"Just making the most of a bad situation." I allowed myself a smile.

"Come now, a bad situation? It could be much worse. You could've been hanged alongside Geralt." He feigned hurt with a hand on his chest. I had actually referred to the fact that I was not at home, living my usual life at college, instead being here... It's not a bad life here. Not with Geralt and such stunning nature scenery. Then he stopped in front of a wooden shack, interrupting my thoughts.

"We've arrived." He knocked on the door. It wasn't long before it swung open and a man opened it. He wore dirty clothes that I suppose were once white and was bald, similar to O'Dimm. He had dark circles under his eyes and the hut reeked of badly distilled alcohol.

"Young man, I've heard you need a little help." O'Dimm said, flashing his best merchant smile. "Your friend told us to visit you."

The man denied, startled the prospect of company, but invited us inside anyway.

"Apologies for being so forward." O'Dimm said. "I'm Gaunter O'Dimm, merchant of mirrors."

They shook hands and I also introduced myself. The man's name was John.

I watched O'Dimm as they conversed. He really was charming, yet I could sense something dangerous emanating from him. I was glad his charm was not aimed at me, I wasn't sure I would be able to resist his velvet words of promise. It had more to do with how he spoke than what he said. They had started drinking and the man put a mug of sour smelling beer in front of me. I drank it only to be polite. Their conversation turned to the reason for the man's sadness. O'Dimm played it so it appeared as if he cared, first chatting casually, then making up some story about his own life. Then asking what happened to the man, who was tipsy and more than ready to trust O'Dimm with his life story.

It felt bad to be there and I tried my hardest not to listen to what the man was saying. He lost his mother recently, who had supported him so much and he felt lost without her. His wife left him and he turned to drink. Now he had little more than his hut and an alcohol addiction. O'Dimm was impressive, he comforted him with a hand on his shoulder.

I stood up without warning. "Please excuse me, I need some air." And walked out the door.

It didn't take long before the door opened again. It was the sad man, John. Thankfully not a furious O'Dimm for me not playing any part. He greeted me, rubbing his hands together. The night air was pleasantly chilly, compared to the stuffy warmth of the cabin. Not to mention that this didn't smell of stale beer and masculinity.

"Do you mind if I stand here a bit with ye?" he asked.

I shook my head and smiled. "It's nice outside. You're lucky to live in the forest."

He shrugged. "Must be careful of bandits, though. So you were pretty quiet in there, you alrite?"

"I'm good."

"What is he of ye? Yer mate?"

I shook my head and laughed. "No, no. Just an acquaintance. We currently... work together."

"Alrite." A silence. He shuffled with his feet and drew lines in the sand.

"I'm sorry, about what happened to you." I said, after debating whether or not to say something. Then I patted his arm. "You'll be fine on your own, eventually. It may take time, but as long as you take good care of yourself, you'll get back on your feet."

He just looked at me, a small, melancholic smile on his face. "Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. Ye've the face of someone who knows things."

I shrugged and smiled back.

"I'm going to head back in, can't leave Gaunter waitin'. Are ye coming?" John asked, turning around to the door.

"Is it okay if I stay out here a little longer?" I asked, wrapping my arms around myself against the chill. He nodded and went back in. I sighed. I hope my attempt at raising his confidence was successful enough that he felt he didn't need O'Dimms help.

I stayed outside until O'Dimm came out, it couldn't have been long. He smiled as he saw me, his eyes glistening in the light that came from the small window.

"I take it you were successful?" I asked, pushing myself of the wooden wall I was leaning against.

"We were." He said. "You did well. He came back invigorated."

My eyebrows shot upward for just a second. I didn't do a thing. "Alright. Is my debt to you repaid now?"

"Not yet." He held up his finger, smiling broadly, it didn't reach his eyes. "Two more similar encounters should suffice."

I sighed but nodded. "Fine. Then I suppose we'll see each other then. Good night, Master Mirror."

He chuckled and shook his head. "I'll walk with you. It's unlike a gentleman to let a lady walk home by herself in the dark."

Thank you for reading yet another chapter of my Witcher fic.

Don't forget to let me know if you like it, keeps me invested. <3

Much love to all who read this, I hope you had a wonderful day, today!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87 0 7
"I'll be gentle," he said quietly as he bent his head to my wrist. His lips pressed softly on my wrist and I jerked my hand away in response. He froz...
163 2 2
Count Julian Pankratz, a chronically ill man who has more love than he knows what to do with with his short life. That was until he met his new nurse...
1.2K 42 2
"If we are to use you as bait to lure our possessed Witcher here to Kaer Morhen, do you understand what that entails?" Jaskier nods, but he remains q...
1.4M 45.4K 50
⚠ Warning sexual content!!! ⚠ *Book 1 of the "Unexpected Lovestory" Series* She loved her husband more than her last breath. She was blinded, deafene...