Underneath The Same Sky (Luke...

By dcandels

they never knew that they would need each other so much. this story is being edited to make it better, not ma... More

Chapter 1: Does Calum Hood live here?
Chapter 2: Short for Theodora
Chapter 3: Awkwardness and Ice Cream
Chapter 4: Great. Just great.
Chapter 5: Save the Last Seat for Me
Chapter 6: Don't ever leave your buddy
Chapter 7: You'd still fall
Chapter 8: Cherrapunji Mysteries
Chapter 9: Again
Chapter 10: Twist
Chapter 11: Like the Movies
Chapter 12: Finally!
Chapter 13: You what?!
Chapter 14: Bus
Chapter 15: the F word
Chapter 16: Strange
Chapter 17: The Substitute Project
Chapter 18: I Just Don't Get It
Chapter 19: Sounds good
Chapter 20: Does that mean I get an A for your test?
Chapter 21: Wait, did I just say that??
Chapter 22: Perfect
Chapter 23: Dummies
Chapter 24: So which one requires less energy?
Chapter 25: Friday night
Chapter 26: Nicholas Sparks
Chapter 27: Epiphanies and Cookies
Chapter 28: Remedial Classes
Chapter 29: F&O
Chapter 31: We need a break
Chapter 32: Package for Teddy Aspen?
Chapter 33: White balloons or yellow?

Chapter 30: Problem

696 9 0
By dcandels

Let's pretend that I wasn't gone for two months!

I dedicate this chapter to my amazeballs friend Laura, who supported this story from the beginning when it only has 200 reads! You deserved more than a dedication! I love you and thank you! <3

Chapter 30

I got up and pressed the Play button of Denise's CD player. To Love Somebody by Bee Gees started playing around the room. I bopped my head and sang with the song while I go through my closet for tomorrow's school outfit.

I was in the middle of looking for my gray cardigan when someone burst the door open which surprised me and made me hit my head on the top drawer.

"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?"

I turned around and closed my closet door and came face to face with a bundled up Roxette. I walked over to Denise's over head bed and turned the song off.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her as I clutch a random piece of clothing. Roxette was wearing a gray beanie and red scarf and she was wearing a black trenchcoat.

Roxette sighed and removed her scarf and beanie. She had hat hair. "Look what I got!" she unbuttoned her coat to reveal that she was wearing a tank top and jean cutoffs with her knee high maroon boots.

Her arms and neck and legs were covered in red spots and that's the only time I realized her face was reddish too.

I walked over to her and cupped her face, "Oh my god! What happened?"

She threw her coat on the floor and sat on my bed to remove her boots, "I didn't know that they put macadamia nuts in my shake!"

In case you didn't know, Roxette is allergic to macadamia nuts.

"Did you go to a doctor?" I asked her as I sat next to her on the foot of my bed.

Roxette nodded, "Yeah, I'm on medication right now. But that's not the point! Prom is in two weeks and look at me!"

Oh yeah prom. After this week, we have finals then after finals, it's prom time.

"You have two weeks to get better and it won't scar!" I assured her, rubbing her back.

"Oh Teddy, it's so itchy!" she buried her face on the crook of my neck and cried.

I threw the clothing in my hand and hugged her tight.

And to think I have a bigger problem.

................................

"Is there anything else I can do? What about extra credit?" I asked or more like pleaded to Mr. De Leon. Our math class just ended and I was talking to him on the hallway.

Mr. De Leon shook his head as he hugged his folders and papers to his chest, "Extra credits are for midterms only Teddy, you'll just have to pass your final test and you'll be okay. Now if you'll excuse me," he explained as he patted my shoulder.

I sighed and trudged to my locker. I put in my combination but it wouldn't budge. I tried it again and it was sealed shut. I pounded my fist on the locker door and nestled my forehead on my locker door.

So far this week is nothing but awful and aggravating. The only good thing that has been happening to me was that my friends in my history remedial classes are getting better; they don't even need my help anymore. On the other hand, I can't seem to grasp the lessons being taught in my math remedial classes. I feel terrible. I feel terrible because aren't you supposed to get better because you have a remedial class? And it's finals oh my god! If I fail this subject I don't know what my mother would do.

"Are you alright?"

I sniffed and looked up to Luke's face. Luke's face that is filled with concern. He doesn't even look stressed. His angel face is glowing.

I sniffed and nodded, "Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" I fiddled my locker and put on my combination. It still wouldn't open.

"Do you need help?" Luke asked as he moved forward to my locker and pried my locker. It still wouldn't open.

"Why don't we go to the janitor for help?" Luke put his hand on my back and led me nowhere near my locker.

I nodded and stared at the floor while walking. It was only the middle of the day but I feel exhausted already.

"Is something bothering you, Teddy?" Luke asked. He removed his hand from my back and shoved them in his pockets.

Only then I realize that he was wearing a royal blue beanie over his beautiful blonde hair and plain black shirt and his trademark red flannel and black skinny jeans.

I shook my head, "Everything's fine, why wouldn't it be?"

Luke chuckled, "Why wouldn't it be?" he mocked.

I glared at him then continued to stare on the floor as we walked.

"Oh come on, you can tell me! Maybe I can help," he offered as we finally reached the janitor's room which smelled strongly of chlorine and bleach.

I sighed, "Roxette has allergies and missing a lot of classes, I am worried that she might flunk her finals, finals is upcoming, I am a dumbass when it comes to Math, my locker won't cooperate and the prom committee is so demanding!"

"Whoah, whoah, slow down. And wait a minute." Luke knocked on the door that said 'Custodian'

The janitor, Mr. Heeley, came out with bread crumbs around his white beard, "How may I help you?"

"Hello Mr. Heeley, Teddy's locker is jammed, could you open it please?" he asked so sweetly.

Mr. Heeley nodded and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, "Sure, just let me finish my lunch and what's the locker number?"

Luke turned to me and I told them my locker number.

"Okay, I'll be there." He said then closed the door in our faces.

Luke and I walked back and Luke turned to me, "So did you say something about allergies and finals?"

I nodded, "I feel so terrible cause I can't do anything about my suffering best friend,"

"But she's alive, right? And she's fine?"

I looked at him as if he lost his mind.

"Then you don't have anything to worry about. If I know Roxette, I know she doesn't mind a few days off from school and she's too tough for allergies,"

If you look at it that way, it seemed silly to be worrying about allergies when there are far more important things and Luke's right, Roxette is probably just surfing the net right now and she doesn't have a mother who demands so much from her.

"And about the finals, you got this. You only have to take what? Three written tests? You got this, actually I should be the one worrying about finals but look at me, I couldn't care less!" he threw his hands in the air.

I laughed, "It's cause you're probably good at all your subjects even math,"

"Actually I'm a math prodigy," he smiled smugly.

"Really? Then why are you not a Mathlete?" Everyone who is considered good in math is encouraged to join.

"Because I have no time for that," he said as a matter-of-fact.

Then we were silent for a minute.

"Well, thank you for helping me," I told him as I walk towards to my next class.

Luke smiled and saluted me then he waved goodbye.

.................................................

"I'm surprised you're all present today in my class! Because of that I am going to dismiss you early. After a half an hour, you're all free to go!" Miss Jones announced.

That received howls and pounding from their desks. I smiled to myself and decided to browse my notes and do some studying for finals.

After a few pages, my phone beeped. It still felt a little foreign to have your phone vibrate on your pocket. I guess because it's been a while I've been phoneless.

I opened my phone to see Luke's smiling face. And that made my heart jumped a little. This was the first time he texted me when I asked for his number the week before.

Hi Teddy! Can you go to the music room later when your class is over? This is Luke btw J

I smiled to myself and punched in my reply.

"Are you reading something funny or is that porn?" a boy next to my seat whom I don't know peered over my shoulder to see my phone screen.

.........................................

"Bye everyone!" Miss Jones waved goodbye as everyone piled out the door.

I hurriedly walk to my locker which was now thankfully open and stuffed my books inside.

I did a mental note to get a new locker combination before I go back to the dorms.

I brisk walked my way to the music room which is two floors up. I don't know why I'm so excited to see Luke when I know I should be studying. I guess I don't really know what my priorities are.

When I reached the floor where the music room is located, I slowed down my pace so I would look like I wasn't even hurrying to get there.

I was just two doors down to the music room when I heard the faint sound of a piano playing. I opened the door quietly and caught Luke's back facing to me while he plays the piano. The song was unfamiliar but it was beautiful.

"That was amazing," I breathed.

Luke stopped playing and looked back at me and grinned, "That was Sister Christian,"

"You go here every dismissal?" I asked him as I plopped my bag on the floor.

Luke shook his head, "Nah, I just want to talk to you in here"

"Oh? What is it?" I asked him as I walked over to the piano and felt the keys.

"I want to help you,"

I looked up and asked, "Help me? With what?"

"Your math finals," he stated. He was sitting on one of the stools in the marching band section of the music room.

The room became quiet for a while I swear I could hear faint sounds of the previous music class.

"How much?" I finally said. I know tutorials don't come free and I have a feeling this came with a catch.

Luke shook his head, "Nada"

"Nothing? You want nothing in return? I have to tell you that I am very, very slow in understanding math terms and equations and all that jazz," I warned him.

Luke stood up from his seat and smiled, "It's okay, I've got time and I'm very patient."

He walked towards me and smiled. That smile that could melt any present candle in the room. That smile that whenever I get a glimpse of it, instantly makes me feel better, makes me smile myself too. That smile that makes you want to kiss him.

Wait, what?

"So what do you say?" he said, breaking my thoughts.

"Yes!" I said suddenly.

Luke smiled even bigger then he grabbed his backpack that was leaning on the foot of the piano, "Then I'll see you tomorrow afternoon, bye Teddy!"

I stood there with thoughts processing in my mind while I watched Luke stride out of the room with his backpack slung on one shoulder only.

I can't believe I was swayed by him so easily.

....................................................

*Knock* *Knock*

"Come in!"

I opened the door to find empty food packages on the floor and books strewn all over the carpeted floors. My eyes traveled from the floor to the bed and found a reddish Roxette on her bed, lying on her stomach, munching on raisin bran.

"Wh-what happened here?" I asked as I skipped over a half-eaten apple and bag of chips.

Roxette twisted and now she's lying on her back, "I didn't want to eat anywhere 'cause I'm afraid I might get allergies from those stupid nuts again,"

I sighed, "And you're not afraid of this?" I raised a half-eaten burger overflowing with mayonnaise.

Roxette shrugged and put her box of raisin bran aside and patted the space on the bed next to her.

"I brought you something," I told her as I handed her a brown paper bag.

"Oh goody! Thank you so much!" she took the bag from me and gave me a side hug.

"Anything interesting that happened today?" she asked with her mouth full of fried chicken.

I grabbed a chicken wing from her and answered, "Nah. My locker jammed today so Luke helped me open it and we talked earlier,"

Roxette's eyes instantly went up to my face, "Really? What you two talked about?"

"Nothing. He just wants to help me for my math finals," I shrugged, no big deal about it. Okay, it is a big deal for me.

Roxette swallowed then said, "You're gonna get an A for sure,"

I gulped down the chicken and opened a can of Coke, "What? How would you know?"

Roxette took another chicken wing, leaving us with three chicken wings left. "He's a math whiz, he won math competitions when he was in his hometown and his mom's a math teacher,"

"How do you know all this?" I asked her as I slowly munch on my chicken.

"Michael told me," she shrugged.

So Michael tells her anything hmm..

"What else did he tell you?" I pried.

Roxette swallowed and grabbed her raisin bran and offered it to me and I shook my head, "He said that Luke was also a football player before but he stopped because he loves music,"

I opened my mouth to say something but Roxette wasn't finish yet.

"Luke also ran for candidacy in his first year here and he won,"

"Oh really?"

Roxette nodded, "Yep, basically Luke can do everything. Why do you ask?"

"Nothing." I said as I drink the remains of my Coke.

"Do you have a crush on Luke?" Roxette inquired, wiping her mouth with an old discarded shirt.

Why? Is it too obvious?

"What? No!" I scoffed. I wish I could be more convincing.

"Oh come on, it wouldn't hurt to tell the truth, Teddy!" Roxette pressed as she finally picked up her mess on the floor.

The first half of me wants to tell Roxette about this so badly, I want to share the things that made me blush, the little things Luke would do that sweeps me off my feet, absentmindedly making me want him. Meanwhile, the other half of me wants to keep this to myself, some kind of secret solace, a private affair that only I know. I want to keep every little detail about him.

I tucked my legs underneath me and grabbed Roxette's pillow. Should I finally tell her what's bothering me?

"Are you actually contemplating on whether you will tell me or not?" Roxette declared sternly, with her hands on her hips.

"Okay! Okay! I do have a crush on him," as soon as I said that I quickly covered my face with Roxette's pillow. Oh well, might as well tell her, sooner or later she'll figure it out. She is after all, my best friend and best friends tell everything to each other, right?

There was silence for a few seconds then I looked up. Roxette has the goofiest smile on her face.

"Stop doing that face, you are scaring me," I told her. Every time that I feel embarrassed, I always turn into this sassy, sarcastic side of mine that I never I knew I had.

Roxette squealed and threw her garbage bag on the floor and jumped on her bed, "IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU FINALLY SAID IT!!!" she yelled at the top of her lungs.

I tugged on her pajamas (yes she's still wearing her pajamas) to bring her down, "Be quiet!!!"

Roxette did one last jump and sat next to me, "So?"

"So what?"

"So... when did it start? Does he know? Are you even going to tell him? Oh, I know, tell him on the day of the prom! But that's too far away, tell him during one of your study sessions!" she squealed and thrash her legs on the air.

When did it start? Hmmm, I never really paid attention to him when we were classmates in English, I don't even know his full name back then! I guess it just kind of happened. Does he know? Oh my god, I hope not! Like I've clarified before, I am way better off when I am far away, admiring him from afar. Am I even going to tell him? Absolutely not. And about telling him on the prom? It's not gonna happen cause I am not even going to attend it.

So to answer all of Roxette's answers I just told her I will have to think about it.

"Think about it?!" Roxette shrieked. "Are you kidding me? If you don't tell him right away, next thing you'll know he could be moving away or worse, some other girl could have asked him out!"

"If one of those happened then we know that it's never meant to be," I stated as a matter-of-factly.

Roxette rolled her eyes, "This is why we're in reality, Teddy. If this was some fairy tale that could be possible, that you are not meant to be. But in reality you have the power to actually make things happen according to your plan. Are you just gonna sit there again?"

After hearing those last few words, I felt awful. I know Roxette is right (and why should I always based it upon 'meant to be'?) but I just don't think I could live with whatever result or consequences this is going to bring if I push through with it.

Roxette has indirectly ended our conversation by diverting her attention to tidying up her mess.

"Are you going down to dinner tonight?" I asked as I fixed her bed for her.

"Nuh-uh, anyone could see me like this," she muttered as she got down on her knees and picked up crumbs.

I stood up and straightened my shirt, "Okay, I'm gotta get going now, I'll see you tomorrow,"

Roxette got up and faced me, "Thank you for everything Teddy, I love you."

She hugged me and went into arms and hugged her back.

"Thank you for everything too," I told her. When I said everything, I literally meant everything.

We let go of each other and I opened the door, went out and closed it behind me.

When I looked up I almost bumped into someone else.

"Oh sorry!" I gasped as the papers from her hand flew around us.

The girl smiled and got down on all fours to pick up the paper, "It's okay, sorry about that too."

The girl had strawberry blonde hair that falls down to her collarbone. She had the perfect tan that emphasized her sparkling green eyes. She was wearing lavender, halter-strap dress that showed off her curves. She looked like she stepped out of a magazine.

I helped her pick up her paper and handed them to her then we both stood up.

"Hi! My name's Karlie," she smiled so wide and offered her hand.

I took her hand and replied, "I'm Teddy from Sawyer House,"

"This is for you Teddy! Okay, gotta fly, bye!" she spoke then handed me one of her papers.

I looked at it and there was a picture of her in a stunning blue number with a crown on her head. At the bottom it says, "Karlie for Prom Queen!"

I folded it and stuffed it in my pocket.

..............................................

Luke's POV:

"Your grandma sent you money last week, should I send it up there, hun?" my mum said as I turn off the TV.

I was in my dorm room on a Sunday evening. Calum was downstairs watching derby with some of the guys and Michael and Ashton were playing Xbox in their room.

"Yes please. How is everyone there, mum?" I asked. She then said a lot of stuff about people in our block, some that I'm not familiar with.

After a while she said goodbye.

"Love you too mum," I told her as I threw my phone on the bed.

I stared at the TV. There are no good shows right now and HBO is probably just replaying what they played this morning. I looked at my Xbox and shook my head because Calum isn't here for me to have motivation to win. I looked at my phone. Who to call?

I grabbed my phone and scrolled down my contacts. I deleted some of them because A.) Who the hell are they? B.) Spam people C.) People who don't bother to text/call me. Then I stumbled upon Teddy's name.

I wanted to call her so bad.

I wanted to ask her to prom.

But I don't want to do it over a phone call.

I want it to be special.

I want it to be something that she would still be talking about even when she's old.

I want it-

"Oh please, you only won cause I blinked," Michael grunted as they banged open my door. Ashton followed after.

"Just admit that you lost to a newbie like me," Ashton smirked.

"What are you two doing here? Is the game over?" I asked them as they both lay down on Calum's bed across from me.

Michael and Ashton both had a bet that they could beat each other in just one round. I'm surprised that it took them this long to have a winner, given that Ashton is a videogame newbie.

"Michael lost to me," Ashton announced smugly.

I laughed, "What happened, Mikey?"

"I blinked that's what happened!" Michael said grumbly.

Ashton stood up and walked over to Calum's mini fridge and grabbed three cans of 7up.

"What are you doing here alone? Just sitting on that beanbag?" Ashton asked as he tossed me a can.

I caught it with my hands and popped it opened, "Just thinking,"

"Of Teddy?" Michael added, smirking as he wiped the can on his shirt.

Ashton guffawed and they highfived.

"What are you two talking about? I was just sitting here, thinking. Is that so bad?"

"Come on man, just do it," Michael suddenly became serious.

I looked at them and back at my phone.

I've been telling them about my asking Teddy to prom.

The problem is how do I do it. I want it to be so incredible that she could not refuse. I want it to be something that she could be proud of.

"Okay, okay, what about horses and carriage?" Ashton piped in.

I've thought about doing a Disney inspired prom invitation but it doesn't sound original and I don't want to wear some itchy Prince costume.

"Why don't you just go up to her and ask her?" Michael contributed.

Just ask her? Without pizzazz?

"Whatever man, just don't chicken out, okay? Girls don't dig that," Michael added in between burps.

"Ugh gross, cover your mouth when you burp, you're spreading grossness," Ashton groaned and fanned the air in front of him.

I sipped my drink then waited until I can feel a burp coming out, "Let me spread more grossness around," I announced as I burp for almost six seconds.

"You two are such pigs!" Ashton shrieked.

Michael and I high fived each other just in time for Calum to come inside.

"Hey boys, what's going on?" Calum inquired as he bent down on his mini fridge.

"Burp contest," Ashton responded as Michael burped.

Calum's face scrunched up, "Ew, gross"

"Thank you! At least someone here is concerned about the air we breathe," Ashton exclaimed as Calum sat next to him on his bed.

"What about you Cal, asking anyone to prom?" Michael asked as he crumpled his empty can in his hand. Somehow our conversations are always about prom. About our plans after prom, the girls we want to take to prom and all irrelevant things that only girls fret over. And we're guys.

Calum stared at the floor, frowning.

"What's wrong?" I leaned forward and asked him.

"Don't tell me you're going to prom without a date? A boy like you with a face like that can't possibly go to prom without a girl!" Michael said in mock horror.

It's true though, Calum's face cannot show up for prom without a date. He's just too good-looking.

"What's up?"

Calum sighed then he sipped his drink, "The truth guys, should I wear a black tux or a white one?"

"Ughhh" Michael, Ashton and I groaned simultaneously.

IT'S ABOUT TIME I UPDATED, AM I RIGHT? AHAHHAHAHA I AM TERRIBLY SORRY!! CAN YOU BELIEVE I ACTUALLY FOUND THE TIME TO DO THIS UGHHH

Anyways, I am currently obsessed over The Maze Runner series (im still reading book one) so if youre a fan, let's fangirl!!!

Also I have found a picture of a girl on pinterest (follow me im dcandels, I follow back) do you want to see it? I'll make a collage of luke and teddy if you want to see it.

Okay, enough chitchat, I am working my magic on the next chapter.

I love you all. x

OOPS ALSO I MIGHT EDIT THIS.

OR NOT.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

204K 2.4K 40
Scenarios involving the fabulously cheeky aussie band 5 Seconds of Summer :) Requests: closed check out my imagines part 2 that is taking requests!!
13.1K 224 10
short stories.... or long imagines... you choice (also published on @dem5sosfeels)
7K 178 43
Read the title :)
2.2M 64.4K 31
❝Every time I ran, I ran to you. I meant it every time I said I loved you.❞