Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 8 You won't be mine

1.3K 98 5
By the_hooded_girl

Please listen to the song on the side :) I thought it was fitting :)

The engagement had been announced last night. In a matter of seconds, her whole life had been turned upside down.

Vara sat quietly across from lady Euridice. The old woman gave her a sympathetic look. “Ah child,” she said, “I know this must be hard on you, but you knew it was coming.” She paused and pushed a platter of dates towards Vara. “He could do worse, you know.”

Vara narrowed her eyes. “She is hardly a queen. She barely says a word and she’s afraid to look anyone in the eye. How can she ever support Cyrus when he’s on the throne?”

“Like you can, you mean?” Euridice asked pointedly.

“She can’t even pronounce his name right!” Vara argued.

Euridice’s eyes were warm as they looked at the girl. She knew very well how heartbroken Vara felt and she felt sorry for the girl. She deserved to be happy.
“There is more to being a queen than being able tot look people in the eye, Vara,” she said reprimanding, “and the lady Ariane is a king’s daughter. You can be sure she was raised in the duties that come with that title.” She smiled at Vara. “That doesn’t mean he won’t come to you for advice or company. You will always be his friend.”

Vara sighed in defeat. “How can I ever be his friend?”

“You will find a way,” Euridice said, “you must.” She cupped Vara’s cheek. “I’m not saying this to hurt you, child. It is for your own safety.”

“I love him,” Vara whispered. She stared at the table, but her eyes held  faraway gaze. She had thought she had come to terms with it. That she had accepted this engagement. But it was so hard. And so unfair.

“I know child,” Euridice said. She patted Vara’s hand. “I wish there was some other way, but there isn’t. You need to be strong. And supportive. And brave.” She tugged a strand of hair behind Vara’s ear. “And I know you are capable of doing those things.”

There was a knock on the door. “Grandmother?”

Vara flinched. Thee was a panic in her eyes. “I don’t want him to find me here,” she whispered at Euridice.

The old woman nodded in understanding. “The bedroom,” she said urgently and she pulled Vara to her feet. Gently she tugged the girl towards the bedroom and closed the door. Then she calmly walked to the other door and let her grandson in. “Cyrus, “ she said warmly, “what brings you to visit your old grandmother?”

“I need to speak with you,” he answered and he sunk down on a bench.

“What is it?” Euridice asked, though she had a feeling she already knew. She sat down across from him and watched him patiently.

Cyrus sighed and rested his head in his hands. “This marriage,” he said, “this union that is forced on me. I don’t want it. But I have no choice.”

“It is not so bad,“ Euridice spoke comforting, “the lady Ariane is a good woman. She is pretty.  I am sure she will make a good wife.”

“But I don’t love her,” Cyrus said frustrated.

Euridice shook her head. Young people these days were so impatient. “Love isn’t something that happens overnight, Cyrus,” she said, ”it needs to grow. And you need to give it a chance to grow.”

“I already love someone else,” Cyrus muttered.

Euridice sighed and stood up. She walked to the table and filled the goblet Vara had been drinking from moments ago. Now she handed it to her grandson. Carefully she sat down again. “Drink up and listen tome carefully,” she said in a serious tone, “you must never speak of it to anyone. Already too many people are aware of your feelings. Do not let it be used against you. Or against her. Do you hear me, Cyrus?” She waited until he looked at her. “It may have been a long time ago, but some people will remember where she came from. We can’t use any scandal. Especially in times of war. We need stability and peace most of all, we need this alliance. You cannot jeopardize it.”

“I know that,” Cyrus said frustrated. He ran a hand through his hair. He had come here for comforting words, not to be reminded of his duties. He had enough people doing that already.

Euridice sighed. “I know it seems impossible now, but it will all work out in the end. I could tell you all the things you want to hear, but it would not change a thing. Do you want me to tell you pretty little lies, Cyrus? You are a prince. You will be king one day. Do you think your father has not made sacrifices? Or your grandfather?”

“Grandfather had you,” Cyrus sulked, “and my parents had a good marriage.”

“Yet your father did not love Aelia when they were betrothed,” Euridice spoke calmly, “they learned to love each other. It will take time and work, but you can make your own marriage successful as well.”

Cyrus sighed. “I just wish..” He left the sentence unfinished and stood up. “Have you seen Vara today? I cannot find her anywhere. I want to speak with her.”

Euridice shook her head. “No, she lied, “I did not see her.”

“If you do, will you tell her I am looking for her?”

His grandmother nodded. “Of course,” she said. She cupped his face and kissed his brow. “Give it a chance,” she told him, but he did not answer her and she sighed as the door closed behind him.

She waited a moment longer until she was sure he had gone and then walked to the bedroom. She opened the door. “He has left,” she aid to the girl hiding there.

Vara stepped out of the room and bit her lip. She felt like crying. “I must leave,” she said quietly, “he will never commit to this marriage as long as I am near. I have to leave the palace.”

“Don’t be so dramatic,” Euridice took her hands and guided her to a chair. “Silly child,” she said as she pushed Vara down on it, “think for a minute. Where would you go?”

“I will go back to the village,” Vara decided, “my friend Euniece will take me in.”

“And  you think he would not think to look for you there? He will move heaven and earth to find you. Don’t do this to him child.”

Vara looked at her, a plea in her eyes. “Then what must I do?”

Euridice pressed her hands. Vara was like her own granddaughter and it pained her to see the girl so distressed. She had a noble heart, the makings of a queen, but it was not meant to be. “You must speak with the king,” she said, “my son will hear you. He will find a solution. Don’t you dare leave us, Vara. You must promise me.”

Vara swallowed difficultly. Se did not want to leave, but if it was for the best… She sighed. “I promise,” she said.

“Good,” Euridice said warmly, “now hurry off. Your time will come. I am sure of it.”

Vara hugged the woman. “Thank you,” she whispered, “for everything. You have always been good to me.”

Euridice answered her embrace. “You are my grandchild, Vara, blood or no. Never forget that. No matter what happens.” She pulled away and wiped Vara’s tears that had started to fall. “Don’t cry child. You have such a pretty smile.”

Vara smiled despite her tears.

“That’s more like it,” Euridice said kindly, “now go and show them what a granddaughter of mine is made of.”

She went.

***

“Father will be pleased,” Darius looked at his sister. She sat silently in a chair in the chamber that had been appointed to him. “Our houses are united and we have formed a solid alliance.” He walked up and down the room. “This marriage is good for us, Ariane. And once you have given him an heir…” He stopped in front of the fireplace and poured himself a drink. “I will be leaving soon,” he continued, “I must bring father the good news.”

Ariane’s head snapped up. He would leave her here alone? In this strange country, at a court she did not know? “Can you not send a courier?“ she pleaded, “do you have to go yourself?”

Darius narrowed his eyes, annoyed that she would speak out against him. “Don’t talk like a child,” he said sternly, “once you are married you’ll stay here on your own as well. I cannot hold your hand throughout your entire life.  I have to return home. With father on his deathbed, I have to rule the country. I need to secure the future of our own people.”

Ariane lowered her eyes guiltily. “Forgive me,” she said.

“Just make sure you fulfill your duties,” Darius told her. He sighed. “This week is full of festivities to celebrate the engagement. As soon as it is over, I will depart.”

Ariane paled. Of course she had known she would need to stand on her own at some point. She couldn’t expect her brother to provide for her for the rest of her life. It was just so sudden.

“Torcan will stay here,” Darius continued without even so much as a glance in her direction, “and I will return for the wedding. Do not disappoint me.”

“Yes Darius,” Ariane said quietly.

“Go now,” Darius ordered, “you need to be with prince Cyrus as much as possible.”

Ariane nodded in compliance and walked out the door. She had no idea what to do. She could hardly force her company on prince Cyrus. He had already made it clear he did not desire her. And why would he? She had seen how the other eligible young women swarmed around him. He could have his pick from any of them if it hadn’t been for the alliance.

Her steps halted. Perhaps there was already one among them that he preferred.

Ariane sighed and glanced out of the window. It looked out over a small courtyard where a crowd had gathered. It was the sound of steel that drew her attention and she moved closer to the window to have a better look.

The courtyard appeared to be a small arena and two men were having a swordfight. The gathered crowd was cheering them on.

It took a moment before she recognized the fighters. One of them was Iolaus, whom she had met several times. The other was prince Cyrus.

Ariane felt a blush heat her face. Both men were bare-chested and glistening with sweat. From where she as standing, she could clearly see their muscles.
Her pulse quickened. Never before had a man had that effect on her.

She leaned against the wall and watched the fight unfold. They were both good swordsmen, but Cyrus soon gained the upper hand and disarmed his friend.

The two laughed and embraced each other while the audience applauded them and congratulated Cyrus with the win.

“He is quite the warrior, isn’t he?”

Ariane jumped and let out a frightened squeal. She placed a hand over her heart and attempted to calm her breath.

“I apologize,” Vara said, “I did not mean to startle you.” In truth, she had been watching Ariane for quite some time before walking up to her.
She looked outside where Cyrus and Iolaus had started putting away their gear.

Ariane stood quietly next to her. She envied Vara’s confidence, how she seemed to know her place in life. Perhaps if Tireze allowed women more freedom, she could have turned out like that as well.

She studied Vara unobtrusively. She looked every bit a princess. She was wearing a deep blue gown and her dark hair was pinned up in a complicated fashion with a silver band adorning it. Every bit of cloth she was wearing was designed to accentuate her curves without it becoming vulgar.
It was feminine. No doubt she made many a male head turn.

Ariane sighed and looked down at her own attire. A simple yellow gown that fell loose from the waist down. A band in a darker color hugged her waist. Her blonde curls fell down over her shoulders.

She felt plain, even though her father had received many compliments in the past from his courtiers about his lovely daughter. They had probably just been polite.

Ariane bit her lip as she recalled her brother’s words. How was she ever going to hold prince Cyrus’ attention? “Lady Vara,” she said hesitantly.

Vara turned her head. “I think it is safe for you to call me by first name,” she said, “we will be sisters after all.” She smiled politely, but inside she was not a s calm as she lead to believe.

“Vara,” Ariane corrected, “I would ask for your advice.”

“Advise?” Vara blinked confused, “on what?”

Ariane bit her lip and glanced outside again. The crowd had scattered and the prince was gone. “I… don’t know much about my husband. I… is there something I can give him to… win his favor? Please Vara, you know him. What would please him?”

Vara stared at her. Euridice had been right, Ariane understood her duties well. It was just that she felt reluctant to aid her with this specific duty.

It was not fair.

But she knew her own duties too.

“Very well,” she nodded, “he likes to ride. Perhaps you can join him tomorrow morning.”

Ariane visibly flinched. “I am afraid I’m not much of a rider. Horses frighten me.”

Vara bit back a smile of triumph. Instead, she gave a serious nod. “Something else then. Let’s see.” She thought for a moment.

“A gift perhaps?” Ariane suggested.

Vara shook her head. “He does not care much for gifts. He will be king someday. He already has everything.”

Ariane felt her cheeks heat up in embarrassment. Of course he had everything. How could she have been so foolish? Her brother would not be pleased.

Then an idea came to her. Her father had praised her voice many times. She was the only one that could calm him when the pain became too much to bear. “ I could sing for him,” she said, “a song from my homeland. Would that please him?”

Vara bit her lip. Cyrus didn’t care much for the arts. She felt sorry for the girl who was trying so hard to please the men in her life. She might not like the fact that Cyrus would have to marry this woman, it was not Ariane’s fault.

And she too wanted this alliance to succeed. She would make sure Cyrus saw it that way too.

She smiled at Ariane, hoping it would look sincere. “I think that would be a lovely idea.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 172 32
(Book 2 in The Zoshan Chronicles) [Editing in Progress] What would you do to save the people you love most? How far would you go? On the morning of a...
231K 11.6K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...
80.1K 3.9K 52
Have you ever thought that you would go back in time? Especially, 1000 years ago? Have you ever thought you would fall in love with a person there? ...
1.5K 119 11
Hoping to have a lovely married life with her husband completely vanished in just a blink of eye when her father and mother-in-laws involved in a tra...