In the End

By Honey_Money_

Jovie Rawlings is many things but in control is not one of them. She's arrogant, loud, sassy, the biggest fli... More

Master Reading List
Hello
1~ Funny
2~ Fish
3~Reaction
4~Kiss
5~Octomom
7~ Peanut Butter
8~ Code Green
9 ~ Kiss Cam
10 ~ Party
11 ~ Lips
12 ~ Girlfriend
13 ~ Jojo
14 ~ Unknown
15 ~ Paranoia
16 ~ Sorry
17 ~ Deal
18 ~ Kitchen
19 ~ Heavy
20 ~ Weird
21 ~ Foreplay
22 ~ Normal
23 ~ Parents
24 ~ Monday
25 ~ Thigh
26 ~ Drunk
27 ~ Vacation
28 ~ Memories
Y'all
29 ~ Alive
30 ~ Planet
31 ~ Stop
32 ~ Apple
33 ~ Eighteen
34 ~ Amelia
35 ~ Broken
36 ~ See
Announcement - Please Read
37 ~ Teddy Bear

6~ Strange

9.7K 642 492
By Honey_Money_

"Jovie, hurry your ass up!"

Ah, my favorite way to be greeted on my favorite day of the week.

"Shut the hell up, Aspen, I need five more minutes of sleep before I can handle you right now." I snap, slamming the door shut.

Somehow mom agreed to let the idiots all spend the night again and it was fun until I was kept up by their constant rambling till 3 a.m. I'm a troll who needs as much rest as I can get.

And for people who love to comment on my appearances they sure do love to prevent me from my beauty sleep.

He whistles, slowly turning the radio on before groaning. Annoyed, I glance over to find Seth running towards us. Rolling the window down, I wait for him to stop. "What's up?"

"AJ said I have to ride with you guys."

"No." Aspen states, "We'll take Jay."

"Wait, what about your somehow more disgusting other half?" I ask, mildly surprised.

"May is giving Mere a ride until, as she oh so sweetly put it, 'The nasty gremlin is no longer riding with me.'" He says.

Gremlin, I like that one.

"Wait, you weren't planning on telling me this?" I demand.

"Surprise, you don't have to see your mortal enemy today." He says dryly.

"Screw this, I'll go ride in Payton's car and Jay can squeeze in here." I decide, not in the mood for his sass.

This is why we should've picked up their cars yesterday, but, no, a Harry Potter marathon was more important. I enjoyed it at the time but now I'm not amused.

As I unbuckle the seatbelt, Payton drives off. AJ flipping us the bird as they all leave. Sighing, I move to the middle seat.

Squished between Aspen and Seth, I begin to fidget.

"Do we have practice today?" Seth asks.

"No."

"I wonder what's gonna be for lunch."

"Shit sandwich." Aspen grumbles and I nudge him. Asshole.

"Jovie, why are you in the middle?"

"Because I was afraid Aspen would try to strangle you." Trust me, I'm thinking about it.

"Still might happen."

"Where'd you get your shirt, Jov?" Seth asks, not paying any attention to Aspen's taunts.

Taking in the baby blue Ron Jon shirt, I shrug, "No idea, it's one of my favorites though."

Aspen snorts and I glare at him, what the hell is his issue?

Yawning, I lay my head back and shut my eyes. Either I'll fall asleep or the tension will suffocate me.

*****

"Jojo, wake up."

I groan, trying to turn away from the voice. The next thing I know my body is being lifted up.

Opening my eyes, I'm forced to see Aspen's ass as I blink the sleep out of my eyes. I think it's safe to assume we're at school.

He slams the door and I notice two backpacks thrown over his other shoulder. Oh, no.

"Aspen, put me down." I demand.

"You were so insistent on sleeping I decided to just carry you into school."

"You tried waking me up once."

"Three times actually, be grateful Seth stole my bottle of water." He informs me.

I need to thank the kid later, water being poured on me wouldn't have made today any better.

"I'm too heavy to carry." I pout.

He scoffs, opening up the door to walk inside. "I'm doing just fine."

"Put me down."

"Nah." Fuming, I raise my right hand. "Jojo, don't you dare."

My palm connects with his butt, "Whoops."

"You freaking ho." He mumbles, "You leave me no choice."

Wait...

"Aspen, do not do what I know you're going to do." I threaten, whaling around in attempt to break free.

"Too late." My ass is slapped and the pain is so bad I think I might cry.

It's too early to experience this form of torture.

He stops walking and just when I think he's going to let me walk over to our friends with some dignity, there's laughter.

"Damn, Jo, have you been doing your squats?" AJ asks and I can practically feel his eyes burning a whole through my leggings.

Trying and failing to pull my shirt down, I begin to kick at the air. "Aspen Tate, I swear to God I'm going to kill you right after I slaughter the pig."

My feet connect with the ground and I lunge for the idiot but arms hold me back.

"Someone's snippy today." AJ remarks, hiding behind Gentry.

"Someone got three hours of sleep and now has a massive hand print on their ass." I snap, ready to reconstruct his face before I'm turned around.

Jay stares down at me, a calm expression on his face so unlike the amused grins of everyone else. "It's been a bad morning, but just stop for a moment and breathe."

Looking into his sea green eyes, I stop and do as he says. Slowly, my heart rate falls. This is why I love him the most, someone has to keep me out of jail.

He smiles warmly, "There, all better."

Nodding once, he lets go and I instantly punch Aspen's arm. "You fucking asshole."

There, now I feel better.

Sighing, I open my locker and he follows with my bag. "Does it sting?"

The audacity of this child. "Haven't you ever heard of a love tap?" I demand, glaring at him.

"Yes, but that requires love." He sneers, dropping my bag on the ground.

Rolling my eyes so far back in my head I'm almost certain my contacts get stuck, I grab my English book. Someone clears their throat and I'm about to kindly tell Seth to get lost when my backpack reappears.

"I think you need this."

Looking up, I stare at Beau. Shit, I forgot he was starting today. I knew I should've worn my cute outfit. At least I should've put on makeup.

"Thanks." Shoving my books into the bag, I close the door. "So you saw the entire thing?"

He grimaces, "Yeah, I must admit, I've never seen someone so aggressive this early in the morning."

"Then you should see Jovie right after she wakes up." Houston cuts in.

"Yeah, talk about a rage fest." Garner adds.

I hate them. Why did God have to give me two little brothers when my mother only pushed out one?

"I'm sorry you had to see me like that, there are just some idiots that bring out the worst in me." I force a smile that becomes real as soon as he grins.

"Babe, there you are!"

"Oh, Jesus Christ." I mutter as his attention is pulled towards the annoying addition to our group. Jay might have to calm me down again real soon.

Meredith flings herself onto Aspen, "Morning car rides without you are so boring."

Watching their love fest in the middle of the hall is enough to make me queasy, PDA is not a welcome sight at any hour of the day. Sadly, the shit show ends just for Mere to turn her attention to Beau.

"Who's this?" She asks, eyeing him thoughtfully.

"Beau Ellington, I'm Jovie's new neighbor." He extends his hand and she clasps it in her own talon-like claws.

"I'm Meredith, Aspen's girlfriend." She smiles, "You must be the boy April was telling me about."

I fight the urge to roll my eyes at that subtle dig. April talks about every boy who even looks her way.

"I didn't realize Aspen had a girlfriend." Beau states.

Aspen just stares him down with a frown in place and I clear my throat, "Yeah, they've been dating since freshman year."

Mere begins to talk his ear off and I zone out, nothing she's saying I didn't hear on Friday. My hair continues to fall into my face and I reach for a hair tie just to yell at myself, I don't have one. Me, the queen of always having a hair tie, left all of mine at home.

Suddenly, a scrunchie hits me in the face. Looking over at Jay, I thank him silently before throwing my hair up in a bun. I've always made fun of the guys for having that edgy, e-boy style but it has its perks.

Scrunchies are socially acceptable to be worn, or so Jay claims.

"You look like a VSCO girl." Beau laughs and I chuckle slightly.

"Shhh, don't tell Jo that!" Gentry says, making a show of covering my ears.

"Why? It's a compliment."

"Jovie has a strong opinion about VSCO girls." AJ adds extra emphasis to the word strong.

Beau looks at me for clarification and I sigh, "Look, I started wearing big shirts and scrunchies and vans and used a recyclable water bottle and I got called a slob. Now all these skinny bitches are doing it and it's a cute trend."

"Maybe it's just who's wearing the clothes." Meredith pips up and I snarl my lip at her.

"My apologies then, I think you look cute." Beau corrects himself and I smile slyly.

"I'm glad we can agree on something."

*****

The one thing I wish I could change is the fact that I don't have very many classes with Beau. I have study hall with him and the boys and that's it.

"So, Beau, how are you finding your first day to be?" I ask as he pulls out all the make up work he has.

"I've had a decent day, my classes are a little lonely though."

"Then make friends." Aspen says, picking at his stats homework.

Slapping his hand down to stop the destruction, I turn my attention back to the pretty boy next to me. "I wish I could help you there."

He shrugs knowingly, "I'll make do, classes are short."

I smile, rubbing my lips together. This day just keeps getting better and better.

"Dude, how much homework do you have?" Jay asks as he takes the seat next to Aspen.

"A lot, I could use a tutor, preferably a really pretty one."

I can feel my blood rushing to my cheeks but AJ talks before I can say anything. "I'm honored but I'm not the brightest bulb in the drawer."

I throw my pencil at him, what a moron.

"I was actually talking about one of the red headed, female variety." He clarifies.

"Look, I see what you're getting at and I applaud you." Seth interrupts, sliding his geometry homework in front of me. "Just know Jovie is my tutor first, I've called dibs."

"How can we forget when you bring it up every five seconds?" Aspen mutters and the guys mumble in agreement.

It's not my fault I'm the only one who shows the kid any kindness. Beau's face falls and I laugh, "I'd love to help you, we can meet up whenever you need to."

"Sounds like a date." He agrees and a fluttering feeling goes through me.

Turning my attention to Seth's homework because he is still my first priority, I hear a can open. Without looking up, I reach my hand out and Jay gives it to me. Taking a long sip as I circle what Seth did wrong, I give it back.

"You guys just drink after each other?" Beau asks, slightly disgusted.

I blink, "Um, yeah. I mean, I'm careful of what I drink but it's no big deal."

"But, aren't you afraid of germs?" He asks in disbelief.

We all share a look before dying with laughter.

"Considering at one point they've had their tongues down each others throats, drinks aren't that extreme." AJ says.

"Besides, we're like a family. We've been doing it for years." Jay shrugs, finishing the rest of the sparkling water.

Beau just shakes his head, "Sorry, I'm an only child that didn't have any long term friends so I can't relate."

It's okay, we can't relate to what thats like. I've been stuck with idiots for way too long in my opinion. "It's cool, we like you enough." Gentry says.

"Yeah, we can't initiate you though because that was in middle school and it required sneaking into Jovie's room while she was asleep and stealing her bra." AJ says.

Rubbing my temples, I try to ignore the embarrassment. I swear their sole purpose in life is to ruin me.

"It's a shame I can't participate." He admits.

"Maybe I'll be able to help you out." I wink.

He seems a little taken back by my forwardness but stops, "I'm sorry, did AJ say that you two used to make out?"

Jay and I nod and I can't help but notice how Gentry stops studying, protective brother has entered the group chat. "Yeah, we dated for a couple months last year."

"Nothing serious." I add.

"I'm wounded, Jo." He says with mock hurt before turning back to Beau. "She's right, it was sorta short."

I try to get a reading off of Beau but Aspen grabs his attention, "What about you, Beau, any ex-girlfriends?"

"Yeah, I've never been anywhere long enough to have a long term girlfriend before Texas."

"What about while you were in Texas?" Gentry asks.

"Her name was Amelia, we broke up on pretty good terms." He admits and I shrug, glaring at my brother to change the subject.

Everyone has a ex, we definitely don't need to bring out the long list of girls Gentrys attempted to date.

We all find our homework pretty interesting after that.

*****

"Peyton, can you give me a ride home?" I ask, chasing her down in the hallway after school.

She keeps moving and I have to physically run to catch up with her. Yanking an AirPod out of her ear, I try again.

"Can you take me home?"

Her eyes stay trained on her phone and I glance down to find her watching a Korean drama. I lock the screen and she finally looks at me. "Oh, yeah I can take you home."

Staring at her and her phone I try my hardest not to laugh. I forget how adorable my friend is sometimes. 

"Shut up, Jo, or else I'll start watching the bachelor without you." She threatens, heading for the door.

I gasp, hurrying after her. "You wouldn't."

I'm not one to typically find reality TV interesting but the shit that goes down on that show is too good to pass up.

Half way through the parking lot an arm gets thrown around my shoulder. "Jo, are you staying to watch my tryout?"

Glancing up at Beau, who changed into baseball pants and a shirt, I hesitate. "I was gonna catch a ride home with Peyton."

His smile falls, "Oh, all the guys are watching. Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I haven't really had the time to hang with her" I tell him.

"Wasn't she at your house all weekend?"

I forget he would know that but it really doesn't matter. "She was but so were the band of idiots so we need an afternoon to ourselves."

I need a break from all the testosterone.

It takes a second but he grins, hugging me. "Alright, I'll see you later."

"Good luck!" I call after him.

Peyton clears her throat. "What exactly do you plan on doing with him?"

"I have no idea." I admit, watching him go. "But damn, he has a nice ass."

My best friend laughs,  "Baseball butts are one of the finer things in life."

I laugh along, throwing an arm around her. "Look at you, admitting such a thing."

*****

We stop for coffee on the way home, Peyton's treat with the gift card Stacy gifted her.

Sipping on my iced latte as I plop on my couch, I sigh. "You know, Stacy may suck but she has her perks."

"That's what I keep telling myself." Peyton mutters and I sit up.

"Talk."

She stops herself but the look on my face has her spilling. "It's just... I haven't seen my mom this happy in a long time. Stacy helps cook and goes along when mom wants to buy another hideous gnome because it's what she likes. They never fight and if there's a disagreement they handle it quickly."

"It sounds like a healthy relationship." I say sadly.

"It is but I just can't seem to get on board." She shoots me a sorry look and I wave her off.

"You've learned to protect yourself, Pey, there's no shame in that. However, you should at least consider being more open to Stacy." Who knows, they might actually get along.

She snorts, "That's some ironic advice coming from you."

I gasp, "How so?"

"Jo, you haven't been the same since everything happened."

"I've been exactly the same." I counter, focusing on my drink.

"No and I don't feel like arguing so I'm just gonna say one thing. There's a hot boy who is all over you and you seem to be holding back."

Shit. "I'm playing hard to get."

"Call it what you want, just know you're not fooling me." She says with more authority than I ever thought possible.

"Fine, then how are things in your love department?" I counter and she instantly blushes.

No way.

"You know that guy in my organic chem class?"

"Will Manning?" I clarify and she nods. "What about him?"

My best friend begins to play with her hair, "I think he asked me out."

I start screaming before processing what she said. "What do you mean, you think?"

"Well... um... We were on class and he said something about the homecoming dance and I said I didn't have a date." She starts and I nod for her to continue, "He said something about going with him."

Holy shit, "What did you say?"

"Nothing, class started."

"Oh! My! God!" I scream, attacking my friend with a pillow. "Peyton Elizabeth! How could you be so stupid?"

The door flings open, revealing my brothers, the Jones boys, AJ, Jay and Beau. "What the hell is going on here?"

"Peyton got asked to homecoming and she didn't give an answer."

"Someone asked you out?" AJ asks in mild shock and Jay slaps him upside the head.

"Well, I think so." She clarifies softly, sorta embarrassed.

"Just tell us who we have to beat up and the deed is done." Gentry promises her and we all laugh.

"Relax, he's nothing like you idiots." I inform them.

"Who is it?" Aspen asks.

"Will Manning." She says.

"That guy?" Jay blurts out and its AJ's turn to hit him. "Sorry, Pey, it's just that he's a little strange."

Deep down, I can't help but agree with them but this is Peyton's first date. He doesn't have to be Mister Right as long as she's happy.

"He's not strange, he's smart." She snaps and that shuts them all up.

Damn.

"Well, we have some good news." Gentry says to pull attention away from the blushing Peyton. "Beau made the team."

"Oh my God, that's great!" I cheer, getting up to offer him a high five and end up getting pulled into a hug but I don't complain.

Maybe it's okay to not fight it sometimes.

*****

HI, LIL will be updated soon. LSU beat BAMA so it was a wild night that resulted in me babysitting someone who partied a little too hard.

Be smart and safe with your fun kids, please.

So now I have to edit LIL and get it out but ITE was already written.

Shower this chapter with comments!!1

Love from a proud LSU gal- Mo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 40.9K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
475 33 14
*a pandemic romance with a 19 year old college student and 29 year old unemployed woman It's 2020. Paul should be off to college, Adrienne should be...
17.7K 1.7K 39
"I want how it was before. I want it all with you in my life again... I'm asking you to stay." Miles Cobain-Smith An aloof and detached logician, he...
184K 5.2K 61
Josephine Pryce will do anything to get out of Lakeville even if it means simply tutoring her arch-nemesis Flynn Cauley. Except when it comes to him...