Defying Destiny - A Merlin Fa...

By BookLover905

. "Sometimes I wonder if you've missed me as much as I'v... More

Trailer
Cast
Prologue
Character Info
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66

Chapter 59

1.7K 47 29
By BookLover905

The sounds of swords clashing filled the night's air. Aria tried her hardest to stay close to her brother. For her safety. And for his.
Aria knew that since Merlin was not there, the duty to protect Arthur fell to her.

But at some point during all the horrendous fighting Aria somehow got separated from Arthur.

Arthur searched frantically for his sister until he finally spotted her cornered between the cliff face and a bunch Saxons.

Arthur rapidly fought his way through the sea of Saxons towards his outnumbered sister.

Morgana who was standing on top of the cliffs also noticed that her sister was in trouble. So not even thinking twice about it she used her magic to send the Saxons surrounding her sister flying back, sacrificing her own men to save her.

Aria stared wide-eyed at where the Saxons once stood. She looked around at the fighting looking for the person who had helped her, thinking it could have been Merlin. But she was shocked and somewhat pleased when she saw Morgana staring at her from on top of the cliffs. Morgana watched her sister with confusion and worry. Confusion as to how she escaped her fortress and worry for her safety.

Arthur then finally reached his sister after he fought what felt like hundreds of Saxons.

"Are you alright?" He asked before he turned and took down another Saxon.

"Yeah, you?" Aria asked as she did the same and took down another approaching Saxon.

"Never better" Arthur replied sarcastically

Aria just smirked amusingly at her brother before they both continued to fight for their lives and for the future of Camelot.

_________________________________________

Back at the crystal cave, the rocks that Morgana had made fall to block the entrance suddenly got blasted away clearing the entrance to the cave.

Merlin disguised as an old man came rushing out of the cave. He was wearing his red robes and he was carrying a wooden staff. He quickly climbed onto his horse and took off to Camlann.

_________________________________________

In amongst all the fighting, Mordred was searching frantically for Aria. He needed to know that she was alright. And he wasn't just looking for Aria but Arthur also. He trusted Aria when she said that she would talk to Arthur about letting Mordred return to Camelot. He just hoped Arthur had listened to his sister.

Suddenly out of nowhere, Aithusa came screeching down from the heavens, breathing fire on the fighting men. Everyone ducked away from the flames trying to not get hit or burnt by the flames. Aithusa then flew away and out of sight.

Arthur and Aria suddenly found themselves surrounded by Saxons.

As the Saxons approached from the front, Arthur and Aria swung their swords in unison. At the same time, thunder boomed and lightning struck the Saxons sending them flying back.

Arthur and Aria stared at the fallen Saxons confused before they swung around to fight the Saxons behind them. The same thing happened. Thunder boomed and lightning struck the Saxons dead.

Upon the cliffs, the two Pendragon siblings caught sight of an old man with long white hair and beard, red robes and clutching a wooden staff.

While Arthur stared at the mysterious man in shock and confusion, while  Aria stared at the old man relived and she smiled widely.

Merlin had arrived.

Merlin held up his staff and blasted another portion of the Saxons with lightning.

From where she was standing, Morgana glared furiously at him.

"EMRYS!"

Merlin turned and blasted Morgana with lightning causing her to go flying off the cliffs and into the raging battle below. She fell to the ground unconscious.

Suddenly Aithusa could be heard screeching as he approached the battle once again.

Merlin yelled in the dragon tongue at the creature causing Aithusa to come to a halt in mid-air, turn and fly away.

Arthur and Aria turned to each other before they faced their army and they both raised their swords high in the air.

"For the love of Camelot!" They yelled together

And with one final push and on final blast of lightning from Merlin and the Saxons were pushed back.

_________________________________________

Aria had managed to slip away from Arthur, knowing he would be alright, and went to search for either Morgana or Mordred.

While on her search, Aria came across a wounded Camelot knight. He was lying on the floor slowly dying from the wound in his side. He had recently fallen unconscious due to blood loss.

Aria knelt down beside the wounded knight and gently inspected his wound. It was too deep and he had lost too much blood. He was going to die.

Aria looked around her to make sure no one was watching her and she gently placed her hands over the wound.

She took a deep breath, closed her eyes and willed for the wound to heal. She felt the same warmth as before and when she opened her eyes they turned golden.
Aria took her hands away from the wound and gave a laugh of relief when she saw the knight's wound had vanished and his breathing had levelled out. He was going to be just fine.

Aria suddenly heard footsteps behind her. She quickly got up and turned around. Merlin had taken off his disguise and was back to his younger-looking self.

Aria looked at Merlin confused as to why he had taken off his disguise.

"Merlin" Aria smiled and hugged him tightly. Merlin hugged her back equally as tight, glad that she was alive.

" Why have you removed your disguise? People could find out about your magic, Arthur could find out" Aria warned when she pulled out of the hug.

" I know " Merlin replied, " I think it's about time Arthur knew who I really am."

Aria smiled brightly at Merlin but also gave him a worried look "You be careful. I'm going to go and try and find Mordred. Then I'll find Morgana, I think it's about time she finally came home don't you think?"

Merlin smiled, chuckling slightly and nodded. Aria then began to walk off in search of Mordred.
_________________________________________

Arthur was just finishing fighting the remaining Saxons that didn't run off when he turned and saw a wounded knight.

Just as Arthur knelt down beside the wounded man, he let out his last breath and died there on the battlefield.

He heard footsteps behind him and tensed up. He shot up and took a swing at the person only for them to block it with their own sword.

Arthur was about to take another jab when he realised who it was and stopped.

Mordred smiled nervously at the king.

"Mordred?"

"Hello, Arthur"

Silence fell between the two men. The only sound was of the Camelot knights chasing away the remaining Saxons.

After a minute or two Mordred finally spoke. "Did Aria make it home alright?"

"She did and believe I have you to thank for that" Arthur smiled at the young man.

"I'm sorry, Arthur. For everything I did-"

"Mordred " Arthur interrupted "It is I who should be sorry for what I did. Sentencing you to death was uncalled for. But I was angry and I acted blindly. I hope you can forgive me?" Arthur apologised

"There's nothing to apologize for. I know I would have acted the same if it were my sister." Mordred smiled back

Arthur held his hand out to the young man and Mordred gladly clasped wrists with Arthur both of then smiling.

"And if you would like, when you come back to Camelot, and I know you will because Aria's there"

Mordred chuckled slightly

"If you like, I will gladly make you a knight again." Arthur offered

Mordred stared at Arthur in shock but with joy written all over his face. "You will?"

Arthur nodded.

Mordred could not help the excited smile that made its way onto his face.

"Arthur!" Merlin suddenly came running up to the two men.

Mordred and Arthur turned to look at Merlin as he ran up to them.

"Merlin? What the hell are you doing here?" Arthur asked in surprise and confusion.

"Arthur, I need to tell you something" Merlin panted as he caught his breath.

"What could be so important that you had to come all the way out here, in the middle of a battle, to tell me?" Arthur asked.

Merlin made eye contact with Mordred and Mordred could tell from the nervousness in his eyes that Merlin was finally going to reveal his magic to Arthur.

"Well?" Arthur asked after Merlin didn't say anything

"...... I was the one who defeated the Saxons. The dragon..." Merlin said. He couldn't even look Arthur in the eye.

"The person who defeated them was the sorcerer" Arthur argued

Merlin signed.  Tears had begun to form in his eyes.

".. It was me" Merlin croaked.

"Don't be ridiculous." Arthur shook his head " Wh- why would you say that?"

He was really doing it. After years and years of keeping it secret, Merlin was finally telling his best friend his greatest secret.

"I'm a sorcerer... I have magic. And I use it for you, Arthur. Only for you" Merlin finally revealed

" Merlin you are not a sorcerer, I would know" Arthur continued to deny the fact that his most trusted friend was a sorcerer.

"Arthur-"

"Well, what have we here?" A sinister voice interrupted

All three men turned and saw Morgana standing there with a wicked smirk on her face. But there was also pain, anger and hurt in her eyes. She had seen Mordred forgiving Arthur and she was furious.

"Morgana"

Morgana smirked at the three men. She went to use her magic to send them all flying back but Merlin beat her to it. He held his hands up, his eyes glowed gold and Morgana went flying backwards.

Arthur stared wide-eyed at his friend. Shock, betrayal and hurt filled Arthur's eyes. He couldn't believe this. His best friend was a sorcerer and never told him.

"You've lied to me all this time" Arthur muttered staring at Merlin.

Merlin turned to face Arthur but avoided eye contact with the king. He felt so guilty yet relieved that Arthur finally knew his secret.

As Merlin was about to reply, Mordred noticed Morgana get up and throw a dagger straight at Arthur.

Not thinking, Mordred dove between Arthur and the dagger getting hit in the process. He fell to the ground wounded, the dagger stuck in his abdomen.

Merlin whirled around and sent Morgana flying once again, sending her out of sight.

Arthur and Merlin quickly knelt down beside Mordred.

"Mordred, just hold on alright. You're going to be just fine," Arthur said in a panic.

"There's no time." Mordred coughed turning his head to look at Merlin"  Go. End this once and for all "

Merlin and Arthur looked hesitant.

"I'll be fine. Go. " Mordred encouraged
Reluctantly Arthur and Merlin ran off in the direction Morgana had been flung to.

_________________________________________

When Merlin and Arthur found where Morgana had been flung to, she was nowhere in sight.

They looked around and the surrounding cliffs but found no sign of her.

"Where the hell is she?" Arthur wondered with his sword raised.

" I have no idea" Merlin muttered

Suddenly Morgana appeared out of the shadows and sent a blast of energy straight at Merlin who was quick to deflect it. Merlin stood in front of Arthur protectively with his hand raised in defence.

Morgana chuckled evilly" Do you honestly think you could kill me? I'm a high priestess of the old religion, Merlin."

" I don't know but the time for all this bloodshed is over, Morgana," Merlin replied glaring at the women he once saw as a close friend. " I blame myself for what you've become but this has to end."

Morgana's sinister smirk fell and she glared back at Merlin. "So be it "

At the same time, both Merlin sent a beam of fire at Morgana while Morgana sent back a blast of ice. The two attacks collided and now it was a struggle of strength.

Merlin put all the strength he had into his attack and Morgana did the same but Merlin was stronger. Merlin's red and orange fire was slowly pushing back Morgana's blue and white ice. Morgana's eyes widened in fear.

Arthur just stood helplessly behind Merlin as the two powerful sorcerers fought.

Morgana used her free hand to send a second blast of ice at Arthur. Merlin became distracted as he deflected the blast away from Arthur and this gave Morgana the upper hand. She sent Merlin flying into the cliff wall, knocking his head against the stone.

"MERLIN!" Arthur yelled to his friend who lay still by the cliff wall.

Arthur turned to face his older-half sister with his sword raised. Inside, Arthur was frightened out of his mind. He knew he was not strong enough to defeat Morgana but he would hopefully hold her off long enough for Merlin to come around and finish her off.

Morgana smirked triumphantly at Arthur.

"Oh dear, whatever will you do without your previous Emrys to protect you?" Morgana taunted

Arthur ignored her taunting and went to take a jab at her only to be sent back just like Merlin. He fell to the ground and his sword was kicked out of reach by Morgana as she approached with a sword in her hand and a smirk on her face.

"Morgana, think about this." Arthur pleaded.

"I already have." Morgana sneered " I've thought about this day for a long time. "

Merlin groggily opened his eyes and saw Morgana standing over Arthur with a sword. He tried to use his magic to stop her but his eyesight was blurry due to hitting his head against the cliff.

"Goodbye. Dear brother" Morgana smirked and raised her sword high above her head ready to kill her brother once and for all.

Just as Morgana was about to bring the sword down a pleading voice echoed through the cliffs.

"Morgana, no! "

Aria came running up with her sword in hand and panting. Her braid was a mess and she had tears on her cheeks as she had recently found Mordred and was going to help him but he insisted that she helped Merlin and Arthur first. So, she did so reluctantly.

"Don't do this. Please" Aria begged.

Morgana looked at her sister and then realised that Mordred had helped her escape from her fortress.

"Stay out of this, Aria. I mean it." Morgana snapped at her sister. "I have to do this."

"No, you don't " Aria snapped back tears flowing down her cheeks. " You have a choice, Morgana. We all have a choice. We've all got good and bad inside of us. What matters is, what part we choose to use. That's who we really are. "

"It's too late for me, Ari" Morgana shook her head.

"It's never too late to make the right decision" Aria countered

Morgana stood there thinking over Aria's words. Was this her chance? Her chance to let go off all her suffering and hatred? To go home with her family?

Morgana's faced softened and she lowered her sword slightly.

Arthur and Merlin stare at Morgana in surprise that she was really thinking over Aria's words. Merlin felt happiness rise inside him.

Aria was doing it.

She was fulfilling her destiny and redeeming her older sister.

After a minute or two of silence, Aria spoke again.

"We loved you, Morgana. We all did. Me, Arthur, our father-"

"HE'S NOT MY FATHER!" Morgana roared with anger but Aria remained unfazed and instead looked at her sister hurt.

"...Then am I, not your little sister?" Aria asked softly.

Morgana remained silent. Quietly regretting yelling that at Aria when she saw the pain in her sister's eyes.

"...If I really have a choice. Then I think I want to be good" Morgana said slightly lowering the sword again.

"You can be good."

"How do you know that?!"

"Because... Because I believe you can. I have always believed that underneath all that anger and hatred is the same kind and compassionate older sister I knew and loved from my childhood. " Aria explained
" And I've seen it. Over and over again.  In the dark tower, you offered me my own room where I would be comfortable. When we were travelling to rescue Mithian's father and I was having a nightmare that night, you used your magic to help. I know you did because I heard you. And you kidnapped me because you thought that I was going to die if you didn't. You have goodness inside you, Morgana. You just need to realise it."

There was a moment of silence. Morgana began to cry due to her sister's confession and she lowered her sword fully. Arthur stared up at her in shock.

Morgana glanced down at her sword in disgust before she tossed it harshly aside making it clang noisily against the cliff face.

Morgana held out her hand to Arthur to help him off the ground. Arthur was hesitant at first but grabbed Morgana's hand and stood up from the ground.

"I'm so so sorry, Arthur. I understand if you never want to see me again. But just so you know, I don't want the throne anymore, I just want to come home. Please, could you find it in your heart to forgive me for all that I've said and done.?" Morgana begged

Arthur didn't reply, he just launched forward and embraced his older sister tightly. Morgana smiled through her tears and hugged him back just as tightly.

"I don't care about what you've done. I just don't want to lose you again." Arthur muttered

Morgana slightly pulled away from the hug and smiled at Arthur before she turned her head to look at Aria who was smiling widely at them.

Morgana gestured Aria to join the hug with a wave of her hand.

Laughing in delight, Aria sprinted forward and embraced both of her siblings.

And finally,  the Pendragons were back together for the first time in years.

_________________________________________

The heartwarming sibling moment was shattered when Aria came to realise that Mordred was still seriously hurt.

She broke off from her siblings and ran off. The others knew where she was heading and followed with Arthur helping Merlin walk since he was still a little dizzy.

When Aria finally reaches Mordred he's still on the floor gasping for breath, the dagger still in his abdomen and a part of his chainmail was stained red from the wound.

Aria rushes over and knelt beside Mordred ready to use her magic, tears once again falling from her eyes.

"Mordred! Just-just hold on. You're gonna be just fine" Aria cried as she inspected Mordred's wound. It was deep and Aria feared that it had punctured a lung. She gently but quickly removed the dagger making Mordred groan in pain.

"There's no time. It's over for me" Mordred murmured

Arian just shook her head in denial. "No, it's not over"

"At least you're safe" Mordred smiled at Aria through the pain.

"Mordred, please. Please, I can't lose you" Aria sobs.

Mordred just weakly smiled and reached up to tuck some of Aria's golden hair behind her ear. Aria leant her face into his hand.

"I will always love you, Ari" Mordred said

"... And you will always be in my heart" Aria sobbed

Mordred gave one last painful smile before he let out his last breath and his eyes shut. His hand fell from Aria's cheek and lay limp on the ground by his side.

Everyone was silent. All mourning the loss of the young knight. Morgana was crying into Arthur's chest as Arthur attempted to console her.

She knew that Mordred's death was her fault. She had thrown the dagger that wounded him. Her anger and her hatred had caused her to hurt her sister in the worst possible way. And there was nothing she or anyone could do. There was no coming back from this.

Mordred was dead.

_________________________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2K 336 35
"It takes a village to raise a child." And when the village turns its back on said child, the child will raze it. Morgana Pendragon, Camelot's belo...
102K 2.4K 34
Lady Ava Grayson was taught how to defend herself against dangers. But when her family is murdered by an opposing kingdom, she hurries to Camelot for...
28.7K 935 42
Once more Magdelena is faced with challenges of love and loss. She may overcome them but she certainly won't be alone with a love-struck Arthur and h...
913 40 6
๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ young princess of a long forgotten kingdom sets off in search of answers after finding an old Prophecy. Arthur Pendragon x OC Merlin BBC Sea...