Honor Among Friends (NaNoWriM...

By DoNotMicrowave

Normally, Madison Chase wouldn't consider being asked to join a study group a big deal, but she quickly finds... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1-B
Chapter 2-A
Chapter 2-B
Chapter 3-A
Chapter 3-B
Chapter 4-A
Chapter 4-B
Chapter 5-A
Chapter 5-B
Chapter 6-A
Chapter 6-B
Chapter 7-A
Chapter 7-B
Chapter 8-A
Chapter 8-B
Chapter 9-A
Chapter 9-B
Chapter 10-A
Chapter 10-B
Chapter 11-A
Chapter 11-B
Chapter 12-A
Chapter 12-B
Chapter 13-A
Chapter 13-B
Chapter 14-A
Chapter 14-B
Chapter 15-A
Chapter 15-B
Ending Author's Note

Chapter 1-A

74.3K 2.2K 180
By DoNotMicrowave

If there was one lesson Madison Chase had learned since transferring to Edgewood High it was that gossip was never a good thing, especially if it was about you. Which was why the constant stares and mutterings of the group across the library set her teeth on edge. The four of them, two boys and two girls, had been giving her covert glances all week and frankly, she was fed up. She had half a mind to march up and demand they tell her what the problem was.

To her knowledge, she'd never done anything to them—intentional or otherwise. They were in a couple of her classes but had little to no interaction. It was widely known that the group of friends was a close-knit bunch. They were friendly and sociable to classmates but that's as far as it went. No one was allowed to enter their inner circle, not even those they were dating.

Out of the corner of her eye she watched as one of the girls, Avery, stand and walk over. She was dressed in her standard jeans and brightly colored polo shirt. A white ribbon was wrapped around her ebony hair and tied in a pretty bow that bounced with each step.

"Hey Madison," she greeted, sliding into the seat across the table.

"Avery," she acknowledged.

"How's it going?"

The pleasantry seemed out of place considering the past week. Not wanting to play the game, she cut straight to the point. "What do you want?"

Avery's brown eyes widened a fraction as surprise flitted across her face. "Umm..." She floundered, trying to find the appropriate answer before giving up and looking over her shoulder. Three sets of eyes stared back.

Sitting closest to them was Kelly, a tall girl with fire engine red glasses. Next to her was her older brother Garrett. They had similar coloring—fair skin, ash-blonde hair and dark brown eyes, but while Kelly had an almost waifish-like appearance, her brother in contrast was strong and virile. He was also the only senior the group, the rest juniors like Madison. It was easy to assume he was the leader of the foursome, but surprising it was Wyatt, the stocky, brown-haired boy who made all the decisions. He was loud and outspoken, often arguing with teachers over the smallest thing. His dominant personality rubbed Madison the wrong way and she made certain to never sit close by. 

While Avery and Wyatt's gazes were locked in a silent conversation, Madison gave the other two a cheeky wave. Kelly blushed and smiled sheepishly before looking away while Garrett continued to stare. He didn't drop his eyes till Kelly gently jabbed his side with her elbow.

Avery turned back around; hands flat on the table and chin thrust up in determination. "I—We have a question for you."

Her curiosity piqued. It seemed Avery was the elected spokesperson. Not surprising since she was the only one Madison had a slight rapport with. They lived in the same neighborhood and frequently bumped into each other at the grocery store or the occasional dinner party.

 "We were wondering if you would like to join our study group."

Madison blinked. Then blinked again. A week's worth of whispering all for the simple issue of a study group? Talk about overanalyzing. It was a wonder they got anything done at all. "What exactly is this study group for?"

"Anything we want." Her response was vague and Madison didn't like vague. She liked clear and concise, everything put in their proper place.

"I really want you to come," Avery added.

"Why?"

"Because I think you'll have a lot to contribute. Besides, I want us to become better friends."

Madison raised an eyebrow as if to say, "We're friends now?"

Avery had the grace to blush. "I know we've only had a few conversations but I'd like to think we're friends." She folded her hands primly and rested them in her lap. "You won't regret it."

Madison glanced at the other members of the group. "And them? Do they feel the same way?"

"Of course. Everyone is in agreement."

The suspicious looks Wyatt was sending her indicated otherwise, but she didn't argue. "I don't need help with anything," she answered truthfully. She was getting straight A's, even in her advanced placement classes.

Avery rolled her eyes. "That's not the point, Madison." It wasn't? "Don't you want to be sociable? You've been here three months and have yet to make any friends."

"I thought you were my friend," she pointed out.

Her eyes narrowed. "Now you're just being difficult."

She shrugged, not denying the claim. It was a skill she practiced regularly.

"Tell you what, why not show up for one and see how you like it."

She hesitated, still not convinced by Avery's reasons. It made no sense for an isolated group to suddenly invite her to join.

"Oh for God's sake," someone muttered. A scrape of chair being pushed back and then loud stomping. Wyatt slammed a hand down and leaned over. "Just say yes. It's not like you have anything else to do."

"Wyatt!" Avery scolded.

"We'll see you Wednesday at four in front of the public library." Not waiting for a response, he grabbed Avery's hand and pulled her up. She gave a quick wave goodbye as he dragged her toward the exit. Stumped, Madison leaned back and watched as Kelly and Garrett trailed behind.  

She was still processing what happened hours later during journalism class. While everyone was busy typing or discussing a new story, Madison stared blankly at the computer screen. Normally, she could compartmentalize, but for some reason it wasn't working today.

Madison flinched as Carson Marks, the editor-in-chief of the Edgewood Ledger, clapped his hands and took his place in front of the classroom. "Attention staff members! I have a couple of last minute announcements."

She let out a quiet sigh. Of course he did. Carson Marks always had last minute announcements. She would have thought with the most coveted job on the newspaper he would be more organized, but the boy ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. He liked to describe his method as controlled chaos, but she preferred the term complete pandemonium.

However, as much as she detested his management style, she had to admit he was an amazing journalist. His passion for revealing the truth gained him national recognition. His expose on Internet bullying won several awards and he was only a junior then. Big things were expected from him now that he was a senior.

"As many of you know Adam is out sick with the flu. Unfortunately that means we're down one editor. To compensate we're going to have to move up the due date on all articles." A number of people booed. Carson held up his hands and said, "I know, I know. It sucks. But we have no choice."

"Let's get another editor to fill in," someone yelled from the back of the room. A chorus of agreement followed.

"Any volunteers?" Carson asked. The room stilled. No one wanted the position. It meant staying late after school, many times pulling all nighters especially during deadlines. "Well?" When no one spoke, he said, "In that case, I suggest you start writing."

"Madison could do it!" her tablemate, Lisa, shouted. Madison glared at her, but she continued on, "She told me she used to be an editor at her old school."

"Off the record," Madison hissed. "I told you off the record."

"Oops?" Lisa's guileless face wasn't fooling her. She'd offered Madison up like a sacrificial lamb. The traitor.

Carson's eyes swung in their direction. "It looks like we have a volunteer."

She began to protest, but the cheers around the room drowned out her words.

"In that case, deadlines are back to normal. Don't forget to run your ideas by the editors before you write. I don't want the problem we had last month." He turned to go before adding, "Madison, stay after class so we can discuss a few things."

She bristled at his high handedness, but followed orders. As the classroom emptied she saddled up to his desk. Pens, papers and manila folders littered the area. There wasn't a free spot in sight. In fact, in order to reach the keyboard, he had to rest his arms on stacks of books as he typed away. If that wasn't bad enough, sticky notes framed the computer screen, sometimes two or three stuck on top of another.

"Give me a minute," he said, not looking away from the screen. He dragged a chair next to him with his leg. "Sit."

Lowering herself down, she studied his profile. He had a rectangular face with a chiseled jaw line, deep-set eyes and a straight, pointed nose. He would have looked too harsh, too angular if it hadn't been for the adorable dimples that dotted his cheeks when he smiled. She was strangely fond of those dimples, considering how crazy he made her.  

"Maddy," he said, reminding her of their first meeting. They were at her family's welcome party held at his house. She'd been hiding out in the laundry room when Carson barged in. His hazel eyes sparkling with amusement as she tried to explain why she was sitting on the floor.  

"I was just looking around." She made a big deal of glancing to and fro trying her best to act nonchalant. "Roomy. And very clean."

"We try," he drawled. "Never know when people need to sit in it. Mind if I join you?"

She threw out a hand, showcasing the empty space. "Be my guest. It's your house after all."

He positioned himself next to her, legs bent, forearms resting against his knee. "If you were searching for the family skeleton's those are hidden in the upstairs closet."

She scooted a little to the left. Not because of his statement, but because of his presence. It wrapped around her, making it difficult to breath. If he noticed her movements, he didn't comment. "How cliché. We keep ours in the attic."

"Not the basement?"

"No room. That's where we keep the bodies."

He laughed, the deep rumble echoing off the walls. "Is hanging out in laundry rooms a common occurrence, Maddy?"

To be continued....

A/N I make a percentage off every ad you watch. I know ads can be annoying but the money I make goes back into my writing. I use it to buy new writing software, computer, fix anything that's broken and also host international giveaways. So if you get an ad please watch it. Think of it as a way of supporting me and my writing on Wattpad. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7M 218K 20
"Rose, I'm sorry, but your eyesight will be gone by the end of this year." Who knew one simple sentence could change a life so drastically? Rose is a...
19 0 22
"Let's get one thing straight, you know nothing about me or my brother, so you and this stupid gossipy town can go and suck it, for all I care!" ***...
6.1K 424 37
When Ohm&Pakorn the brothers meets the Nan triplets...Nanon ,Nannam&Nanfah What if an innocent girl was also trapped in this tangled love game of pla...
173K 7.4K 82
Every high schooler says that high school is hell, but for an eighteen-year-old, Isla, it really is. For someone who is so sweet and pure she doesn'...