drugin' shadows

By KYNDIOR

Book #1 of the Love & Trauma series. More

drugin' shadows
drugin' | foreword.
drugin' | one.
drugin' | two.
drugin' | three.
drugin' | four.
drugin' | five.
drugin' | six.
drugin' | seven.
drugin' | eight.
drugin' | nine.
drugin' | ten.
drugin' | eleven.
drugin' | twelve.
drugin' | thirteen.
drugin' | fourteen.
drugin' | fifteen.
drugin' | sixteen.
drugin' | seventeen.
drugin' | eighteen.
drugin' | nineteen.
drugin' | twenty.
drugin' | twenty one.
drugin' | twenty two.
drugin' | twenty three.
drugin' | twenty five.
drugin' | twenty six.
drugin' | twenty seven.
drugin' | twenty eight.
drugin' | twenty nine.
drugin' | thirty.
drugin' | thirty one.
drugin' | thirty two.
drugin' | thirty three.
drugin' | thirty four.
drugin' | thirty five.
drugin' | thirty six.
drugin' | thirty seven.
drugin' | thirty eight.
drugin' | thirty nine.
drugin' | forty.
drugin' | forty one.
drugin' | forty two.
drugin' | forty three.
drugin' | forty four.
drugin' | forty five.
drugin' | forty six.
drugin' | forty seven.
drugin' | forty eight.
drugin' | forty nine.
drugin' | fifty.
drugin' | fifty one.
drugin' | fifty two.
drugin' | fifty three.
drugin' | fifty four.
drugin' | fifty five.
K.R. note
🤗

drugin' | twenty four.

6K 621 184
By KYNDIOR

April 4, 2019

               "I remember coming to this park when I was about nine; watching the baseball, football or soccer games looking at the smiling faces of every child on this side of time. I always wondered why couldn't that be me? Why wasn't I the child that woke up in the morning looking for something to smile about? I also used to watch the cars pass by telling myself to just run out into the street to die. I was tired."

Shantey was seated in the editing room with her filmmaker Jamar doing some more editing for her upcoming documentary. She had on a yellow G.O.A.T hoodie over her sleeveless spandex biker romper and black Balenciaga logo-print leather flat scandals that showcases her ombré pedicure matching ombré nail acrylics. She has her hair sleeked up in a topknot bun. The initial necklace Romeo bought for her birthday remains around her neck and large bamboo earrings.

"I'm feeling the edit," she approves, nodding her head. Past few weeks, she's been very active in the edit process pertaining to her own story. "I want the instrumental to Get In The Way to play throughout the documentary, but when I'm talking, we can lower the volume just so my words aren't drowned out by the music."

Jamar nodded and starts the editing Shantey suggested. "You good at this. You tryna take my job?" He jokes, playfully side eying her.

"Of course. . . not," she breaks into a light laughter with him. "I'm just taking this documentary seriously. It's about me. It gotta be right. No missing details."

"You know, I never wanted to say anything while we were filming but. ." Jamar locks eyes with her, "I'm sorry... for what you went through. I woulda never thought you dealt with any of that."

Shantey places her hand on his arm and smile. "You have nothing to be sorry about, JR. What I went through; the things I've dealt with, I made it through and I'm here now. Deciding to do this is giving everyone a better understanding of me and who Shantey Washington is."

"They'll definitely get a better understanding after this release. I'm sure of it."

Shantey phone rings before she could respond. It's the person she's been waiting on for the past few hours. She steps out the control room to talk in privacy. She places the phone on her ear and quickly greeted with, "I got your voicemail. What is it?"

"Well, hello to you, Franky." Shantey sarcastically says.

"Hello, Shantey. Now, what is it?"

"Well. ." she clears her throat, "I wanted to run it through you since I basically coparent with you too. Cru's birthday is this weekend and I was thinking–"

"Since it falls on the days you have him, you want me to talk to my son about you taking him to California?"

"Yes," Shantey confirms, "see, it's warmer here and I want to have him a little pool party. I will have his birthday the day after if I have to. But can you please talk to him about letting me do that. I've been following every rule; no issues–"

"I'll talk to him," Francesca cuts in the middle of her sentence.

Shantey breathes in relief, "thank you."

"Yeah. Oh, you made a year of sobriety. . . Congratulations." Francesca hangs up soon after her words.

Shantey found herself smiling at the congratulations. Some reason, her heart warmed hearing that from Francesca even when they don't get along. It just felt good in a special way.

               Shantey spends the next two hours editing with Jamar before leaving straight to Tavon's house. She notices he and his nephew Gabe outside, riding lowrider bikes in a circle. All Night by YFN Lucci playing on radio shuts off when she turns her ignition. She chuckles softly, closing the car door behind her watching them enjoy their bike time. When she walks to the end of the driveway, Tavon rides up stopping the lowrider with his sneakers...

"What're you guys doing?" Shantey asked, folding her arms.

"Ridin' low-riders, baby. Hop on. We gone ride around how we used to." Tavon smiled patting the low U handlebar.

"Don't drop me." She sits in the middle of the handlebars.

"I got yo small ass. C'mon, G." Tavon called to his nephew before they both start peddling.

"Is it dogs around here? Last time we got chased by two Pits."

Tavon chuckles peddling through the neighborhood. "We was in Long Beach, baby. Er'body got Pits there. We in Woodland Hills."

"Let's race, Unc!" Gabe called out peddling passed the two.

"Hold on, baby." He start peddling as fast as Gabe causing Shantey to hold onto his hands. The wind blows into their faces and every sharp turn he'd make, Shantey would squeal hoping she didn't fall.

They raced around in a circle before approaching the house. Tavon was behind a few feet before he cuts in front of Gabe and wins the race just as a BMW vehicle pulls into the driveway.

"Mannn, Unc, you cheated." Gabe complained.

Tavon laughed stopping his lowrider. "Nah, you just wack, homie."

"Boys," Shantey shakes her head climbing off the handlebars. She looks towards the BMW when Troy, Romeo, and some girl she's never met; cinnamon brown skin, thick physique, and her natural hair in a flat twisted mohawk updo. Troy holds several burgers and fries from In-N-Out burger.

"Gimme som'!" Gabe hollers towards his brother.

"I ain't yo servant, nigga. You better com' get it." Troy spoke approaching the front door.

"Hi, Mr. Booker," Troy's girlfriend waves at him causing him to wave back. "Hey, miss-" she pauses once she realizes who the woman was talking to Romeo. "Oh, my gosh! You're Shantey Ledé! Troy, why you didn't-- omgeeee!" She squealed jogging towards Shantey.

"Here her groupie ass go." Troy comments, heading inside with the food.

Shantey was kinda confused, but holds a smile since she knows she's a fan.

Troy's girlfriend stops in front of Shantey and says, "I really love your music. I saw your pictures with Romeo and Mr. Booker, but I just assumed it was somebody else. Oh my goodness! Can I have a picture, please?"

"Sure." Shantey agreed. She takes out her iPhone and snaps a few pictures. "What's your name?"

"Shondrea," she spoke full of jitters; starstruck in Shantey's presence. "I'm sorry. My excitement is just taking over."

"It's okay. C'mere." Shantey pulls her into a hug to relax her adrenaline. It lasts a few seconds before she pulls away.

"I cannot wait until your documentary comes out. I love you already so I know this will only give everyone a better insight."

"Right. If you're still with Troy, you can come to the premiere."

"Oh you ain't gotta worry about that. Troy know where he belong."

"I heard that!" Shantey high fives Shondrea.

"Drea, come yo groupie ass on!" Troy hollers from the front door.

"Nice meeting you." Shondrea waves, walking across the lawn. "Boy don't be talking to me like that in front of Shantey Ledé."

"Shondrea," Tavon calls and she turns to walk backwards slowly. "I ain't gotta worry bout no screaming ass fans in front of my crib do I?"

Shondrea zips her lips. "Stitch lip, sir."

"She's beautiful." Shantey comments as Shondrea walks into the house with Troy. "How long have they been together?"

"Boutta year now."

"A year? I never met her."

"Cause he always went to her crib. She coo peoples doe. She ain't gon' tell nobody cause don't nobody even know I'm they uncle."

"She's a keeper."

"Like mine," he grinned grabbing Shantey by her waist. She smiled as he planted kisses on her lips. He climbs off the lowrider and raises her off the ground. "C'mon we boutta go upstairs."

Shantey giggles as he carries her towards the house. Her phone chimes from a text. She checks it seeing it's from Dave...

Shantey assumed Francesca talked Dave into saying yes because there's no way he was going to actually allow it. Then again it could be that he's going to be in California anyway. Either way, she's thankful.

"Uh oh, somebody turn up the music cause here they go!" Tyson calls out when he sees his uncle carrying Shantey.

"Ew, man, y'all need to find a new hobby."

"We boutta be on what they on. Ain't that right, baby?" Troy says, smacking Shondrea hard on her ass.

"Boy, bye," she nudges him with her arm as she chewed her food. "I'm eating."

April 7, 2019

               It's finally the last day of the weekend and the celebration day of Cruz's third birthday. Shantey got her son Saturday night since Dave landed in California a few hours early to work on music with another rapper. It would be easy to grab Cruz and leave back to the other side of the coast on a one-way trip. Shantey's up early on Sunday getting everything ready for her son's birthday with the help of Anissa, her assistant, and Jasmine.

She maneuvers around the chef's kitchen that opens up to the family room to make Cruz's favorite foods with the help of her Aunt Sunni, who grills hot dogs on the huge patio that offers a beautiful view with open space, gazebo, fireplace, fire-pit along with a waterfall and beach entry pool. She had on a lavender tank dress and Fendi studded logo leather slides. Her hair's middle parted and in a low ponytail with hoop earrings.

Romelo flown in from Miami with his wife Valerie and their children along with some of her nieces and nephews, that were currently jumping on the trampoline as Romelo blew up the letter balloons and Valerie steps up the table snacks and basketball treat boxes.

Julie and Jasmine walks into the kitchen with bags. "Ok, we have more plastic plates and cups."

"Okay, hand them to Valerie." Shantey tells Julie, who foots out to the backyard. She grabs the shredded cheese over the two pans of enchiladas.

"Hm, that look bomb as fuck." Jasmine comments, putting her mini backpack on the counter before sitting on the stool.

"I know," Shantey smiles with a wink. She picks up both the aluminum pants and sit them inside the preheated oven. "Cru will literally eat that whole pan himself."

"I've seen him."

"Yooo!" Shantey hears a familiar voice from the front door.

"In the kitchen Brown!"

Momentarily, Chris footed into the kitchen with a gift bag in his hand and his daughter Royalty sitting on his shoulders. "What up wit it family?"

"Hey. Hi, pretty girl." Shantey grabs Royalty from his shoulders when Chris lowers down.

"Hi, tete Ledé." Royalty hugs Shantey.

"Oh my goodness, I swear if I had a daughter she would be as beautiful as you mami." Shantey voices, touching her two curly ponytails. "I like your hair."

"My Mimi done it."

"Mimi done an amazing job," Shantey grinned. "All the kids in the back. Go have fun mami."

Royalty gets down and bolts out to the backyard.

"Where the birthday boy?" Chris asks, hugging Shantey.

"Upstairs sleep still. I'm about to go wake him up. You can join Romelo in the back."

"Oh Melo out there? Bet." Chris walked out to the backyard next.

"Whew!" Jasmine fans herself. "That's one fine-ass man. How have you known him this long and not fucked?"

Shantey chuckled, "cause he's my brother. Of course when I first met him at eighteen, I thought he was cute. But as I got to know him, it wasn't that connection between us. It's brother-sister more than anything."

"Shhiittt, I woulda been bouncing onnat–"

"Mom, look who's woke." Romeo spoke, walking into the kitchen with Cruz in his pajamas cutting off Jasmine from talking nasty about Chris.

"Happy birthday, Papi."

"I got the candle." Jasmine lights the number three candle and slowly moves in front of Cruz. "You wanna make your first wish of the day handsome?"

"Yes," Cruz nods.

"Ok, close your eyes and count to five."

Cruz follows instructions, counting to five out loud. "One, two, three, four, five," he opens his eyes and blows out the candle. They claps for him and he claps himself..

Shantey smiles looking at her son. "Good job, Papi. Let's go get you dressed."

"I brush wif bubba." Cruz says referring to brushing his teeth.

"Good job."

Shantey heads upstairs to get Cruz ready. She dresses him in a white short sleeve Supreme T-shirt and black Burberry Rafael logo swim trunks and Burberry logo rubbed pool slides before taking him downstairs to allow him to play with his family. She checks the enchiladas in the oven when the doorbell rings around her mediterranean estate. She speed-walks to the door and pulls open the wooden door coming into view of Dave's paternal cousins Paris and Falen.

"Oh wow, hey!" Shantey hugs them both as they hold gifts for Cruz. She pulls away and looks Falen, Paris's big sister, over. "Falen I haven't saw you so long. Whatchall doing on the West coast?"

"You thought we was missing li'l daddy other birthday? Hell no," Paris says causing them to share laughter as they walked in.

"Glad y'all came. Enchiladas in the oven, my Aunt Sunni is making hot dogs on the grill, potato salad done along with the baked beans-"

"Ooh bitch, say no more." Falen cuts in, stomach growling hearing the food. "We finna much today."

The evening was filled with laughter, family, and food. Everyone enjoyed their time with no problems or issues. Kids swam or played on the trampoline or basketball. When darkness came over the California sky, the kids were tired out, full, and ready to lay down— just like the parents loved. Everyone left with their basketball treat boxes. Shantey had Romeo and Cruz showered and in bed sleep by nine o'clock. She showered herself and laid down in her own bed.

An hour she laid there scrolling on phone responding to emails when a text from Natalie popped up on her screen...

Before she's able to bask in her excitement, the doorbell rings around her house. She gets out of bed in her satin mini pajama dress and footed out of the bedroom and downstairs. She doesn't bother to ask who it is since she already knows. She opens the door and leaning near the doorpost is Dave. His eyes traces over her body as soon as he sees what she's wearing.

She only rolls her eyes and says, "come in and shut the door. I'll get him."

Dave walks inside as she told him as Shantey runs upstairs and to Cruz's bedroom. She cuts on his night light, grabbing his jacket and putting it on his sleeping body. After covering his feet with his house shoes, she grunts lightly as she picked up his body.

"Gosh, you're getting heavy, papi." She chuckles to herself.

Dave's typing on his phone when she comes back downstairs. He locks his phone, putting it on his pocket when grabbing Cruz from her. "Y'know he starting school in August. Somewhere private."

"That's cool wit me. Thanks for lettin' me get him today."

"It's nothin'. Only thing is... he and Kairi goin' to the same school."

"I'm okay with that. As long as you or your mother is picking him up, I'm not gonna trip. But don't take my kindness for weakness. She ever near him–"

"I know, I know. It's our heads."

"You getting it now." She smiled, patting his back.

Dave chuckles and heads for the door. "Later, man."

"Get there safe and have him FaceTime me once he wakes up."

"Aight!" Dave approaches the SUV. When he gets inside with Cruz, she shuts the door and finally goes to lay down.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
A little peace before the upcoming storm!

Go read, and comment on recent chapters of HARDAWAY if you haven't.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 256 26
Sevyn's and Jonathan's toxic love story.
37.3K 2.4K 25
Love at each and every sight. ❤ Cover credits: Specialist @karanxpreeta❤
5.4K 259 3
Randomly woven ideas are served here. All genres.
5.3K 173 24
Read to find out !!