Leaning on You(FF7)

By Mrs_Strife

COMPLETED First book: Lean on Me Life's looking up for the members of Avalanche. They're starting families... More

1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62- The End

28

50 2 0
By Mrs_Strife

~Tifa's POV~

"Did you locate them yet?"

"I've already checked the whole Shinra facility and I've already told you that Shinra probably didn't take them," Reeve's voice comes through Cait Sith.

"Why would Rufus want to turn on us again anyway?" Cloud pinches the bridge of his nose. Yuffie and Vincent have been missing for a whole week now. I insisted that we put our mission to Sumter on hold. The people there won't be too happy that we're too late.

"Cloud, your phone's ringin!" Barret calls. The blonde looks up and walls over to the device quickly. I think he's still holding on to the hope that Yuffie will call. It's almost like he thinks she just up and left.

"Hello? Oh. Hey. No, I'm fine Cid. No. Well obviously! Sorry... Really? Okay, we're in a town about fifteen miles from Twisted Oaks. Yeah, I kinda guessed you were from there. Okay. Bye."

"What did Cid need?"

"Nothing. He managed to fix the Highwind finally though."

"That's good," Red stretches. "I like flying. It's quite an enjoyable past time."

"Speak modern English, Red," Barret chuckles. "It's much easier to understand."

"Perhaps you have no brain mass then?" The animal cocks his furry head to the side. "I'm sure Hojo would love to see how you manage with the amount of stupid things that flow past your lips."

"Oh I'm sure he'd enjoy testing on you more, you pathetic fur ball."

"At least I have average intelligence, big oaf."

"Can we stop picking fights and help come up with ideas of who could've taken them?" I say with exasperation.

"How do we know someone took them?" Cait tries to reason.

"Vincent wouldn't just leave. And if he did, he'd leave hints or a note of something. All his stuff is still here and he was last seen in the garden behind the inn."

"Then why don't we go check it out?" Red frowns.

"We did."

"Oh cmon," he rolls his eye before bounding toward the small garden. I shrug and jog after him, skidding to a stop when I see him stand still and sniff the ground. "This way. I smell death." My heart skips a beat. Could they be... Dead?

"Is it..."

"Neither of them." I give a breath of relief before following him to the thicker shrubbery. Then he yelps suddenly and jumps back.

"You alright?"

"I'm fine. Just a little frightened by this body."

Curiosity takes over and I peer into the bushes. Nothing. Grimacing, Red bites onto something and drags it out. I cover my nose and try to keep my nausea down. A rotting body lays in front of me, dried blood caking the hole in his forehead.

"Killed about a week ago," Red announces. "By a bullet to the brain."

"Vincent..." I whisper. "Something must've happened while they were both out here."

"Obviously."

"Can you follow their scent or something?"

"Unfortunately, it's faded due to the rain and such."

"Just our luck," I groan before retreating to the rest of Avalanche. Cloud sits on one of the wicker chairs outside the restaurant we forced down lunch in, his head in his hands.

"Are you sure you're not being too optimistic?" Cait's saying when I sit by him.

"Optimistic?" He gives the cat a look of disbelief.

"Look, it's great that you want to save them and all, but there's always the possibility that they're no longer alive."

"Thanks for the reminder, Cait," he retorts sarcastically.

"Look, I'm sorry that all this crap happened, but I can't locate them anywhere. Plus, in 90% of cases when someone goes missing, they've been murdered."

"Reeve, you're not helping," Cloud scowls at him.

"I just don't want you to hang on to any false hope."

"And we appreciate it," I break in before Cloud can. "But I'd prefer to hope that he's still living."

"Tifa, you don't have to worry. Vincent's monsters always save his life. Yuffie's the one who can only withstand so much."

"This is just lovely," Cloud groans and pushes his fingers through his hair. "Too bad mako holds back any form of drunkenness."

"Cloud," I scold, rolling my eyes.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"... Okay."

His blue eyes shine bright, but there is something darker about them. Almost like he hates the world. Like he really is considering that Yuffie might've died. And then he'd blame himself again, though I don't think he'd have the courage to forgive himself again. He'd blame himself for Zack and Aeris, Mikey and Yuffie, the destruction of Wutai and not killing Sephiroth sooner. I don't think he could live through another friend's death.

"There's Cid!" Barret calls. Sure enough, there's the old Highwind looming in the distance. She's a little rusty, but nothing to worry about. Yuffie must've been exaggerating when she said it was a big rusty lump. I know Cid would never let it get that way.

"Let's get going then," Cloud stands. I nod and follow he and Cait to the airship that I missed so much. Sure the Shera was great, but I like the Highwind better. A lot better.

"Haven't seen you dorks in awhile," Cid chuckles when we climb aboard.

"Hey Tifa," Shera envelopes me in a hug. I smile and hug her back, but she quickly pulls away. "So did you guys find them?"

"No," I shake my head, my smile fading.

"Don't worry. We will," she reassures me.

"She had coffee this morning, ignore her energy," Cid rolls his eyes and I laugh.

Suddenly, a loud ringing echoes through the metal walls. Cid frowns.

"Already getting calls? We've just restarted the ship!"

"To the conference room?" Barret raises an eyebrow and Cloud nods silently. We file into the room and sit down, waiting by the wall. Cid accepts the call on the huge screen and sits back in his seat, frowning at it. The screen flickers into color, at first too dark to see, but then someone sets down the camera or whatever.

"This should be fun," a man comes into view. Then another.

Both smirk down at Yuffie, who's locked in chains like a prisoner. Vincent sits a little ways away, frowning at his lap. He can't do very much since his chains won't reach to her. My heart floods with relief. He's okay then, right? But Yuffie... She winces when the first kick reaches her stomach. Cloud clenches his jaw and stares blankly at the screen until he can't stand it anymore and he glares at the table top, trying to block out her cries of pain. The video eventually cuts off, but another begins. Then men have come back for Yuffie, but then Vincent volunteers himself instead. My eyebrows fly together. And then his screams begin as they torture him, using his own claw to tear at his Geostigma. I force back my hateful tears and glance back up when the cries of pain stop. Instead, one of the men's faces appears.

"Had enough, Avalanche?" He looks familiar, spiky brown hair and royal blue eyes, his facial features leaving him to look young, but his body showing he's an adult. Something so familiar. And then Cloud's expression darkens.

"Casper, what is wrong with you?!"

"Oh hey Cloud. Didn't see you there," he gives us a taunting smirk.

"You know him?" I frown at Cloud.

"Already replaced your girlfriend?" The man sneers. "You were always such a heartless boy.." He looks like a brunette Cloud, my mind speaks up all of a sudden. He does!

"Are you two related?" I press. Cud and Barret look at him expectantly.

"Yeah," Cloud finally mutters. "He's my cousin."

"You've got a messed up family," Cid shakes his head.

"I know."

"Just calling to update you on their currents statuses."

"You already did."

"Oh no," he waves Cloud off. "That was the first day we had them. Would you like to see then now?"

He doesn't want to. But that gnawing curiosity and worry. Cloud remains silent and then the camera moves, leading down a dark hallway full of empty cells. Then I see a curled up shape shivering by herself. Yuffie. She looks so thin, so tired and in so much pain. Dark bruises litter her body and so do many cuts. Vincent is a different story. I guess they decided to mainly focus on his Geostigma, but it seems to have spread a little further across his back. His shirt is torn up in the back, shredded from whatever they've been doing to him, and he lays on his side, tense and cold.

"Your lovey says hi," Casper taunts.

"Tifa?" His voice barely croaks, his blinking open slowly. Why isn't Chaos healing him? He should be perfectly fine by now. What is going on? And why's he calling to me?

"So yeah, there's a nice little update. Have fun playing hide and seek," Clouds cousin sneers before shutting off. We all look over at Cloud who's staring blankly at the wall.

"Cloud?" I nudge him.

"I'm going to kill him," he grits darkly.

"Uh..." I shoot a worried glance toward Cid. He frowns at Cloud who just glares at the wall harder, as if he could burn it down. Suddenly, he stands.

"I know where they are."

"What?" I feel my eyes widen.

"The Shinra mansion. Where they took Denzel two years ago, remember?"

"I thought it looked familiar!" Cait Sith exclaims. "But it doesn't make sense. Those guys don't work for Shinra. How did they get in?"

"I dunno. But we'll find out when we get there," Cloud starts to leave the room.

"To Nibelheim then?" Cid speaks up.

"Where else?"

"Just askin," the pilot mutters. Shera pats his arm a couple times before looking at me.

"You okay?"

"I will be when we get them outta there."

"I hope so," she nods. "Go fly, Cid."

"On it."

What will we find when we get there? No idea. I'm just focused on saving Vincent. Okay, Yuffie too. But more Vincent. What? I'm not in love with Yuffie!

"I guess we're gonna go save some sorry behinds," Barret grumbles, observing the materia in his gun arm before leaving. I nod and follow.

"So do you even have a plan?" Cid is asking Cloud when we go out to the cockpit.

"Get in, save them, kill Casper, get out."

"So wait, you're seriously going to kill your cousin?" The pilot frowns.

"Did you not see what he did to her?!" He defends, crossing his arms.

"Yeah but..."

"How would you feel if one of your family members kidnapped Shera and then beat her up and starved her in a cage like an animal?"

"We're not talking about Shera, we're talking about Yuffie."

"So? It was an example, Cid."

"I know, I'm not dumb."

"Might as well be."

"What?" Cid glares at him.

"Nothing," Cloud shakes his head.

"That's what I thought."

"You don't think," the younger blonde mutters. Cloud, really. You chose the wrong guy to be grumpy with. "Don't have enough brain mass."

"Callin me stupid, boy?"

"Maybe," Cloud shrugs. "Retard works too if you'd prefer another word."

"Cloud..." I hiss.

"If anyone here is retarded, it's you," Cid raises an eyebrow.

"Please. I'd be a little worried for your child. Don't wanna pass down the stupid-genes."

"Fortunately it takes more than one parent to make a kid, huh Cloud?"

"Unfortunately, both of you are stupid." Um... Cid looks up and clenches his jaw. Cloud... I'd back off, buddy. But our leader acts as if he's completely indifferent to what he says to the pilot, as if it's the truth to him. But we all know it's not.

"You can call me dumb all you wanna, but do not drag Shera into that crap."

"Well here comes retarded Highwind number two," Cloud rolls his eyes when Shera enters the room. She pauses, furrowing her eyebrows. Yes, he's talking about you, Sher. Cloud, you're really pushing it...

"Cloud," Cid glares at him. "Quit it. Now."

"Aw, poor Cid's scared of being picked on."

"What is yo problem, man?" Barret frowns at him.

"I ain't bothered by you buggin me, you leave her alone." Shera shakes her head as if to remove a few thoughts and then starts to walk over to her husband to see what's going on. She almost trips over one of the undone shoe laces on her left foot, stumbling forward but catching herself.

"Idiot," Cloud mutters, turning to walk away. Cid's had enough. It turns into a full on war, Barret struggling to get a hold on the captain and me trying and failing to move in front of Cloud. He's too darn fast. Dang mako.

"Cid," Barret growls, pulling back on he man's arm. "Let it go."

"That it?!" Cloud laughs darkly. "Really? That's all big boy Cid's got?"

"Cloud, knock it off," I scold. He glares down at me, the effects of what he said making Cid tense and think about kitting him again. Cloud's already got a small trickle of blood running from his nose and an eye that's sure to bruise.

"Why? He's a complete loser, the little..."

"Cloud!" I say louder this time. He just raises an eyebrow at me with a smirk.

"What is with you people? Can't do anything the right way, always gotta use your voice."

"The right way?" I narrow my eyes at him. "Seriously? Do I have to demonstrate the right way?"

"Tifa..." Barret starts, but I've already slapped the idiot right across the face.

"Quit pushing people out just because you're upset! No one cares about your little mental pity party, so just stop picking fights and deal with it for once!" He glares at me, reddening cheek and all, and I begin to wonder if maybe he's considering hitting me right back. But he just shoves me back away from him, knocking me to the floor.

"Get off me." Then he leaves. I glance back at Cid, who breaks his shoulders from Barrets grip and stomps away in the opposite direction, no doubt muttering unheard curse words to Cloud.

"I'll be right back," Shera says quietly, following him.

"I don't get that guy sometimes," Red mumbles, laying down.

"Which one?" I reply with a sigh. Ha, that rhymes.

"All of em," Barret shakes his head. "Sometimes me."

"I'm gonna go get some water."

Secretly, I kinda just wanna hear what Shera is scolding Cid about. So I walk to the kitchen, where I can hear their hushed voices in the hall without being seen.

"Shera, gosh dang it, woman" Cid groans. I can just imagine him pulling at his hair. "I told you already, he was..."

"Calling me stupid. Yes, I know. But you can't punch the kid!"

"He's only a decade younger than me!"

"Exactly! I don't care if he started it or not. He's just worried and scared. And he's Cloud. But you can't just punch him in the face, Cid!"

"Shera, he..."

"I know what he did, you've told me multiple times now. And if you don't stop, you're sleeping on the dang floor tonight."

"Uh..," Cid raises his eyebrows.

"Yeah. You heard that correctly. Now go fly the ship."

"But Shera..."

"That's it. Floor."

"But!"

"But nothing. I said to stop and you didn't."

"You're not my mother."

"You're right, and if I was, that'd be pretty dang nasty. Now go."

"Fine," he grumbles. He knows better then to push it with Shera.
I hurriedly rush behind the counter that I missed so much and pour myself a cup of water, sipping it causally when Shera enters the kitchen. She sighs heavily and plops down at the table, resting her forehead in her hands, her thumbs massaging her temples.

"Something up?" I pretend not to have heard.

"Cid's just being difficult."

"Ah. I've dealt with that before."

"It's not much fun, is it," she looks up at me with a weak smile.

"Uh-uh," I shake my head.

We remain mostly silent until we reach the Shinra mansion, Nibelheim citizens looking up to curiously glance up at the huge ship looming overhead.

"Ready to go?" I ask Barret. He nods and his dark eyes flicker to something behind me. I turn to look too. Cloud enters the cockpit, sword strapped to his back and, sure enough, that eye darkening and swelling. Whatever mako Rufus gave him must've been some weak temporary stuff to help with his sickness.

"Tifa and Red, you're with me," he looks over at us, his voice stern and commanding. He's in no good mood. "The rest of you need to stay outside the basement until I call. Then you come take Vincent and Yuffie. I'll handle Casper on my own."

"Let's get going then," Red stretches, following Cloud outside. I have a feeling that this will not be nice at all. That it won't go very well. That something bad will happen. It's just barely looming over the horizon, but it's there and its nerve racking.
SO... EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD DAY? THAT'S GOOD... IF YOU DIDN'T, I'M RIGHT HERE WITH YOU. MAYBE YOU COULD CHEER ME UP WITH A HAPPY COMMENT OR TWO? GEEZE, I'VE ALREADY GOT A GOOD IDEA FOR THE END OF THE BOOK, BUT NOTHING FOR IN BETWEEN. I MAKE IT UP AS I GO, FOR THE MOST PART. SEPHIROTH WON'T BE BACK FOR A COUPLE MORE CHAPTERS. Y'ALL OKAY WITH THAT? IF NOT, NO OFFENSE, BUT THAT SUCKS FOR YOU. I'M HAVING A BAD DAY, REMEMBER?
V
O
T
E
♥⭐♥⭐♥⭐♥⭐♥⭐♥⭐♥⭐

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 111 10
New York City is supposed to be the place of big hopes and even bigger dreams. But when Cloud and Tifa reunite there more than a decade after separat...
2.2K 80 30
Taking place after the events of FINAL FANTASY VII: Advent Children, The Return of Sephiroth recounts the heroic story of Zack Strife, the eldest son...
6.4K 236 39
Vincent Valentine fell in love with Lucrecia Crescent. Violet Crescent fell in love with David Harper. Violet and Lucrecia were sisters. Life seemed...
1K 34 3
After leaving his hometown and the girl he secretly loves to join SOLDIER and achieve his dreams, Cloud Strife finds that the homesickness and the lo...