The Landlord

By JadedViolet

Ruth Dunn is a high-class city girl at heart. Her complicated life forces her to move into a new house out in... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Author's Note

Chapter 8

1.2K 67 13
By JadedViolet

Chapter 8

We finished repairing and repainting all the porches. They looked fresh, new, and awesome. Which... just made everything else look even more dumpy and worn. Blake worked at the marina two of the three days it took to finish, so yeah, I'll happily take all the credit for finishing the porches. I will say it was nice having most of that time to myself. Since Matt dropped that reality bomb on me, I haven't been in the most chipper of spirits.

"The porches really turned out well," he said, looking down the road at each house.

He just got home from work when I officially wrapped up the last porch. He was wearing a different uniform – a gray button-up tee and khaki shorts. He looked nice and spiffed up compared to me. I was in a loose blouse and jean shorts, covered in brown paint, covered in sweat. Even with my hair pulled up, my neck and face were drenched with sweat. At least I finally elected to stop wearing jewelry on these days. Did I mention I was sweaty? It was at least 90 degrees out today so... I wanted to die basically the whole day.

When he looked down to me, I nodded in agreement. I'm sure he noticed I've been more quiet the past few days, but he didn't say anything. "God, I would kill to go back to the beach," I said, forcing conversation. "I took Garrett over the weekend."

"Yeah? Which beach?"

"Bentford beach."

He chuckled. "You went that far to go to a beach? Here, can I show you something?" he asked, turning and walking towards the side of his yard.

Blake was entering the patch of trees next to his house. I did not approve. "Do I have to? I just want to go home and shower; I'm overheated."

"It will be worth it," he said, pausing to wait for me.

"Oh, I'm sure walking through trees, branches, and bugs will be nice when I'm all sweaty, sticky, and paint-y," I mumbled, reaching him as we entered the trees.

The pines and maples were tall, allowing me to easily see past the tree trunks to the water we were nearing. I've never actually walked down to the boat launch or the water yet. If I had though, I wouldn't have taken this off-road route. I would have taken the common sense route and walked down the damn road. But no, we had to take the short-cut. So worth it to dodge sticks and swat at bugs.

When the trees cleared and we reached the water, there was a grassy bank. It was only a few feet wide. Below the bank lip, water was gliding up. The small wave stopped only inches from the grass then slid back down the sand bottom.

The most surprising thing... was it looked pretty dang nice. Well, nice for what I first expected anyway. I'm sure it was still disgusting water to swim in. "See this bank..." he said, turning left and pointing further down where the land kept going. I was surprised to see, much further down, people playing in the water. "Technically this is all my property, but I tell my tenants they can come back here and swim if they want. It's not a beach in the sense that there isn't a lot of sand, but it's a good swimming spot on hot days."

After seeing the people, I also saw something much closer down the bank. It was a small private dock just a few yards away. "That yours too?"

"Yeah, all of this is mine."

Honestly, not sure what the point was of all that land. Actually, in general, I never understood people's desire for a big property. What did people need so much space for? Unless you have a ton of junk or have dead bodies to hide, what's the point?

The breeze over the water was nice, which helped my overheated body. "Why did you show me this?"

His eyes widened and he gestured towards the water. "So you can swim, dummy. Whenever you want. You don't have to drive to some beach an hour away."

"But..." I looked out to the water. It was a small enough bay, with land on the other side. It opened up to larger waters I couldn't see miles away. Glancing back up to Blake, I shrugged. "Isn't it, I don't know, gross? It's not a real beach and the boat launch is just a few yards that way," I said, jutting a thumb to the right.

"You are such a city girl, I'm sorry," he chuckled. "Do you know how to swim? Have you ever touched unfiltered water?"

"I'm not that bad."

He nodded, pretty persistently. "Yes, you are. Trust me."

"I'm really sorry I hurt your feelings because I don't want to go swimming," I chuckled.

He scoffed, searching my eyes almost playfully. "I would bet a large amount of money you've never been fishing."

"Oh, I used to go fishing all the time." Never fished a day in my life.

"Really?"

"Yes. Fished all the damn time! Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go into my air-conditioned home after being outside the whole day," I said, walking past him and holding in a laugh. "I will see you tomorrow."

Walking the bank back towards where I could see the little dock (boat launch), I was soon in my house, feeling the full relief of cool air. He didn't know me. I wasn't that prissy, no way. He was just too country. It really made me want to prove him wrong.

Which I learned the next day was not a good idea. Trying to prove him wrong though came after our new project started.

We stood in the gravel road, facing it and all the houses up the road. There was a nice breeze and it wasn't too hot out this morning. Better stay that way. I can't do two days in a row of Death Valley.

"Do you see all the dirt spots in the yards?" he asked.

"Yeah, there is a huge one on every property," I said, pointing to one of the dirt driveways.

He hummed in amusement. "We'll get to those later. Today, we are going to take it easy and plant some grass and flowers."

Oh, halle-fuckin-lujah! "I'm game for that."

Planting grass and flowers? I guess it was needed. The lawns were grassy, but there were some dirt spots, and the ground was bare around the houses with no landscaping. Hey, sounded easier than painting and rebuilding, right?

Since every tenant is in charge of their own yards (and did a good job with them anyway), we were only doing the vacant lots – and our own. We tackles mine first. After Blake fluffed up the dirt bordering my house, we worked from left to right, planting flowers.

We each dug little holes and set one of the pre-grown flowers in it. And you know what, I was proudly kneeling on my paint-pillow again. Sorry I didn't want to kneel in my diamond studded black shorts; guess that makes me a city girl....

It wasn't too bad at first. Nice, actually. Sure, I was secretly a little cautious every time I moved the dirt around with my gloved hands. I did not want to find any worms or grubs. Not one bit. Other than that minor paranoia, I was having an okay time. I'm almost ashamed to say being next to him like this was a nice treat. Weirdly enough, I found the sight of him more appealing than usual. Not sure why because his hands, forearms, and legs were stained with dirt.

"There aren't going to be too many days like these unfortunately," he said from where he was kneeling next to me. The man was using his bare hands somehow, pulling one of the flower pods from the crate and packing it in the hole gently. "Next week, we actually are tackling the driveways. Going to fill them in."

It sounded like so much work, I almost wished he hadn't told me. Then again, it's going to look great once it's done I guess. "How are we doing that?" I asked, cautiously digging another small hole.

"Well, once we have the gravel hauled out here, we'll disperse it. Level the dirt and lay the gravel. It shouldn't be hard at all, but it will take a while and be a process."

Gravel? Did he say gravel? Sitting back, I took a swig from my water. That whole swig... oh, I was judging him hard about this whole 'gravel' thing. "Do you want me to be honest?"

"Probably not."

"You should pave this road and pave all the driveways. No dirt, no gravel."

"You think I prefer gravel and dirt?" he chuckled, evening out the dirt we've been digging up with his hands. "I figured you would have been able to tell; I'm not made of money. A good chunk of this is out of pocket. The city only gives me so much, and what they do give me, I need to spend wisely. So, gravel driveways will do," he smiled.

"Fair enough. I can weirdly relate," I mumbled. Money had never been an issue for me in the past, but being on my own... it was tough. Even though he was covering my rent and bills for the house, it was hard to make the 200 a week he was giving me last. "We can always not do the driveways and with that money, you could give me a raise," I joked.

"Yeah? That 200 a week and free rent aren't doing it for you?"

"Don't get me wrong. It's nice not worrying about it. But with gas, groceries, a phone, and car insurance.... 200 is cutting it close."

Leaning forward with my hand-shovel. I pressed it into the soil to create another hole. No worms, no worms... success. I tossed the dirt away from me and grabbed the next flower.

"Sweet, I knew we would find some good ones," Blake said. Confused, I looked over. He had a worm squirming between his fingers. Yuck, what the hell? He put the worm in one of the empty plastic pods.

My face naturally scrunched in disgust. "You're saving them?"

"Good for fishing. If you see some, make sure to save them," he said, getting back to work.

Hell to the no. Not happening. However, I was stubborn not to reveal anything he would deem 'prissy.' So, I nodded and got back to work. I knew it was light-hearted, but he got a kick out of certain things I do and say. Well, not today. I wasn't going to be his entertainment.

That clashed pretty hard with my need not to touch anything slimy and squirmy. Moving gradually along the front of my house, planting flowers, it wasn't long until I dug up a worm. It was an inch from my hand on the shovel and instinctively, I tossed the shovel aside. At least I held in my squeal.

Seeing what happened, he paused in his work and gave me an amused glance. "Everything okay? That's a good one," he said, nodding towards the worm.

Swallowing, I waved a dismissive hand. "Oh yeah, I'm fine. Just didn't expect it. I'm a little jumpy."

"That's okay. You should add it to the rest," he said, grabbing the crate he dedicated to the worms and held it in front of me. There was already maybe five worms. Five worms... slithering around in the crate, slick, slimy, gross. "I don't need to be the only one getting my hands dirty. Plus, worms can't bother you. You used to go fishing all the time."

Oh that asshole. I even knew what he was up to. Guess what, he wasn't going to get the satisfaction. "Sure, of course." Looking away from him, he couldn't see my scrunched up and disgusted expression as I grabbed the worm— ew, ew, ew, goddamn it, ew— and tossed it with the rest. "There we go," I said as evenly as I could.

"You know... I don't buy it, Ruth."

"Don't buy what?" I asked, glancing back over to him.

His sweet blue eyes found mine. There was gentleness and almost an endearing glint in them. But, there was also amusement. "You never went fishing. Not a day in your life. Admit it."

"I absolutely have," I lied. "I just don't like worms and there is nothing wrong with that."

"Hmm.... Nope. You have not ever been fishing. If you have, we should throw a few lines in after this," he sweetly offered, though I knew his true motivation.

"I don't have to prove anything to you."

Then, he started to get to me. "True, you don't."

He was so nice, so sweet, and yes, his teasing was playful and not mean. However, I know he believed it and got a kick out of me. It only made me want to prove him wrong more. Lips tight, I evened out the dirt while glancing up to him. He dropped the subject, but that fun and amused smile was still on his face. I narrowed my eyes at him. God, I just wanted to prove him so wrong. To the point where I spoke out of pure agitation. "Alright, fine, we'll go fishing after this and I'll show you that you're wrong."

Digging up another hole, he smiled to me. As if he wasn't challenging me before! "Sounds like fun, I'm excited."

Oh that man – oh that fucking man! He was so frustrating, especially because he was just being so sweet and nice about everything. No, he had to be secretly judging me about everything. Judging me and thinking 'oh, a city girl like her can't fish.' Well, he's going to learn!

And he did. He learned I was totally lying about fishing.

Standing on his small square dock, facing the water, we each held a pole. Acting like this was habit was difficult. Especially after we started casting out. He whipped his pole to the side, then swung it forward. Line released with a hiss, and it soared out towards the water before his bobber (and whatever else goes on the line) landed several feet out into the water.

Turning to me, he smiled. "You can go anytime."

"Yeah, of course, just has been a long time since I've fished," I said, looking over the pole I positioned in my hand.

"Do you need any help?"

"Nope, not at all. Absolutely fine," I said, stepping back. Then, I tried mimicking what he did. I swung it to the side, then out towards the water hard.... No line left the fishing pole. But the fishing pole left me.

Pathetically, I fucking whipped the pole into the water. I don't remember letting go, don't remember shit. The evidence that I did something wrong was stacked pretty high against me though. The pole floated in the water several yards out. At least he knows I am good at throwing, right?

Standing there, red in the face, there was nothing said. Staring at the pole floating a few yards out, I didn't even want to look over at him. "Stupid thing, it's definitely not the kind of pole I used to use..." I mumbled.

"I'm sure that's it."

Looking up to him finally, he was pursing his huge amused smile to me. He was having the hardest time not laughing – and I was as well after a moment. Smiling, I looked down. "We never speak of this, okay?"

"Deal. Now... go get it."

My embarrassment faded to disbelief. "Go get it? How?"

He crossed his strong and dirty arms, looking between me and the pole. "You know how to swim?"

"Well, yeah."

"Then go get it."

"It's not my fucking pole. You go get it."

He grabbed my arm, turned me to him, and backed me up towards the edge of the dock. Before I knew what was happening, he laughed and pushed me off the dock. Off the fucking dock! What the hell? Shocked, I hit the water and went under. Under into the gross disgusting water. Actually, it felt pretty good. Really refreshing, especially after a hot day doing yard stuff. Felt so good.... But goddamn, that's not the point, he pushed me in!

When I resurfaced, the water was up to my chest and I glared up at him. "What the fuck was that?!"

He smiled to me. "I granted your wish. You wanted to go swimming again. Now, go get my pole."

"You've got some fucking balls," I scowled, splashing water up at him before turning and going after the pole. Fucking prick... but man, the water felt good.

By the time I returned, and threw the pole onto the dock, I basically marched home. It was kind of nice though, having reason to be properly pissed at him. I didn't have to be confused about liking the guy. Because currently, I did not. Well, for a good hour .

He knocked on my door an hour later after I got out of the shower. It was the last thing I expected, but I realized it was planned. Clothed in my satin shirt and shorts, I heaved a sigh. I was tired of him, but man, seeing him... his brown hair in the gliding with the breeze, his smile, so easy-going, I loved it.

"What do you want?"

"After that unfortunate incident, I feel terrible. I should have a dock that is more sturdy and safe. I hate that one of my valued tenants fell in the water. So, I'm compelled to offer compensation of an extra 100 dollars this week," he said in such an apologetic voice. Then, he winked.

Shaking my head, trying to fight a smile, I wasn't sure what to think. He was just... something else, that was for sure. I was about 90% sure now he pushed me in just so he would have an excuse to give me more money. Guess telling him I was still struggling financially paid off – literally.

"Yeah? So 300 this week?" I smiled with a cocked eyebrow.

"Yes. And again, so sorry about my wobbly unsafe dock," he said, really playing up the mock sympathy.

"Well, I... I think that will work."

"Good," he smiled. "Now, I wanted to tell you, this weekend is the annual town garage sale. The social butterfly you are, I'm sure you would love to get in on it."

"Oh, it would be the highlight of my life."

He chuckled. "Well, regardless if you yourself have a sale, I will be. There is a lot I need to get rid of and I was hoping for your help."

I groaned. It sounded like a drag. Worse than a drag. A draggy drag drag-queen. "Sounds like shit."

"Hey, you won't be outside. You'll be in my house going through stuff mostly."

"What's the difference? You don't ever have your AC on."

He rolled his eyes. "I will put it on just for you. Anyway, I have to work most of those days, so I'll be leaving it to you. Mel has a good sense of what I'll want to get rid of; she's a close friend of mine. So, I asked her to help you out with it."

Going through his shit for a few days? I'm not nosy like these people, but hey, I won't complain about going through someone's stuff.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 4.7K 52
[Highest Rank: #328] Anna's a normal girl. Well, at least she wishes she was. She watched her parents die in front of her when she was eight y...
44.7K 1.4K 21
Seventh and eight grade were a total bust for Anna. This country boy, Logan, starts to develop a crush on her, and she gains some feelings for him to...
1.2K 184 21
Blake discovers after three years that she is immortal. But she still soo desperately wants to die....until she meets Riley who changes her mentality...
1.1K 88 26
Katie Forbes is a little girl with a very big dream of seeing the world. She doesn't want to become close to anyone because this is going to be an ob...