I'll Keep This Secret For You

By bucky_star

As an eighteen year old girl in Brooklyn, New York in the 1930's, falling pregnant unplanned is not on your a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Author's Note
Chapter 65
Sneak Peak
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Surprise!
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Author's Note
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Important Authors Note!
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Authors Note
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Author's Note
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Author's Note
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Epilogue
MISSING CHAPTER
Author's Note

Chapter 106

1.2K 32 38
By bucky_star

Steve stands himself up using his cane and shuffled over to Bucky, laying a hand on his shoulder.

"Buck what's wrong?" He asks worried.

"I-I don't know. My head is just spinning." He grunts in reply, his speech slow.

"When did it start?" He presses.

"Just now." He mumbles. "I feel like I'm gonna pass out."

"Here's a glass of water." Peggy states as she hands it to him.

But just as you're about to do something to help too, a thought crosses your mind.

It's that god damn alcohol.

Wow. All of a sudden you're so mad at him. But of course your not going to make a scene here.... well, at least not a bigger one than the one that's already been made. You'll save it for home. Peoples attention has already been directed to you four and Luke and Isla have come rushing over.

"Hey, what's going on?" Howard asks as he pushed through the crowd.

"Dad? Are you okay?" Like comes right over and asks, looking about the most animated he has in a long time.

"We don't know." Steve shakes his head and frowns. "He just all of a sudden got all light headed."

"Do you want me to get a medic?" Howard asks and is already turning to go.

"No. No. No." Bucky shakes his head and lifts up his hand lazily, his speech quiet and drawling. "I'll be fine. It's just a head rush or something."

"Daddy are you drunk?" Isla giggles, making the situation worse.

"No." Steve, Peggy and Bucky all state at the same time.

"It can't be." Peggy shakes her head and frowns. "Maybe get him an ice pack to cool down though Howard?"

He nods and rubs off to the kitchen.

You're a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing. You feel like you should be worried but right now all you are is mad. All you can do is just squat there beside him with your arm around his shoulders.

"Here!" Howard exclaims as he hands you the ice pack.

You gingerly place it on his forehead before he leans forward with his elbows on his knees, taking a hold of it himself and cringing.

Everyone just stands there silently for a few minutes, waiting to see if he gets any better or worse.

"Do you have a headache?" Peggy asks. "Are you nauseous? In any sort of pain? Have you got split vision?"

"Ahhh." Bucky grunts in thought, screwing his eyes shut but not lifting his head. "Kind of? I don't know. Yeah, yeah I've got a headache I think. Kinda nauseous, but not in any real pain. It's just my head and my limbs feel all weird. Definitely got split vision though."

"That's a real straight answer buck." You chuckle and rub his back, forcing yourself to be supportive although right now you don't feel like seeing his face.

"Sorry." He cringes. "I just can't think straight right now."

"It's okay Buck. Just try and take a few deep breaths. I'm sure you'll feel better in a minute." Steve tries to assure him.

Even though the attention isn't on you, you feel your cheeks burning up as everyone gathers around, murmuring in confusion and concern. However, eventually he does seem to start to come right, sitting up straight and blinking a few times to let his eyes adjust to the light.

"Ah." He groans and slowly starts to stand himself up with you, Steve and Peggy's Help. "Okay, I think I'm alright now."

"You guys should head home now." Peggy looks at him unsurely. "Maybe getting a good nights sleep will help you feel better. Take the day off work tomorrow too. Just rest up and make sure you're alright."

They're so concerned, you feel like they're getting something that you're not.

"Daddy are you okay now?" Isla asks as her and Luke each take one of his hands and slowly start walking out through the dispersing crowd.

"Yeah I'm fine thank you sweetie." He mumbles and nods still seeming a little out of it.

You take a second to turn to Steve and Peggy.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry. I don't know what just happened," you say as you cover your face in your hands, your voice becoming muffled. "I feel like that just ruined everything."

"Hey, don't be." Peggy assures you and pulls you in for a hug.

"Just look after him, okay?" Steve adds as he wraps his free-ish arm around you back.

"I will. But anyway, back to you guys." You pull away and gently place your hands on Peggy's stomach. "I seriously can't believe this. I'm so happy for you both. Congratulations. I love you guys."

"We love you too (Y/N), thank you for everything."Peggy says contently and rubs your arm. "We will catch up soon no doubt."

"Of course." You nod as you turn to leave, picking up a dozing Theo and grabbing hold of the pram on your way past leaving Sarah to splay out on the couch all by herself.

If the kids weren't their on the ride home the taxi would be awkwardly silent, but Isla's constant asking Bucky if he's okay fills the air. You're so close to snapping at her to shut up because it's his own stupid fault but you bite your tongue.

By the time you get home you wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with Bucky. He seems perfectly normal again now. The whole thing is just weird. But it must be the alcohol right?

But you can't help yourself once the kids are settled into bed when just as you are pulling out your night gown from the dresser and Bucky sneaks up behind you, snaking his arms around you and squeezing you up against him.

"Hey doll." He murmurs seductively in your ear.

Just as he spins you around to face him you shove yourself off of him.

"Ah! Like hell you're getting anything tonight." You scoff.

He stands back and looks at you confused. "What? why not?"

"I warned you to cool it with the drinks but you just kept going and what ended up happening? You spoiled the end of what had been a lovely evening. One of the most important ones of Steve and Peggy's lives at that." You state and fold your arms, looking at him disappointedly.

"Wha- no. No. No. Doll. I promise you. I'm telling you, I promise it wasn't the alcohol. It doesn't effect me. I didn't feel the least bit drunk before that happened." He tries to explain and comes up to you to take your hands but you just shrug him off.

"Then what was it? Too dizzy from dancing?" You ask in a mocking voice.

He thinks for a second. "Maybe? Or maybe I'm just tired from working so hard on so much at the moment?" He says that bit a bit pointedly. "All I know is that I've never felt like that before."

"Probably because your not used to being drunk anymore." You mumble under your breath.

At this you can see that he starts to get a little annoyed.

"Doll! Why would I all of a sudden start getting drunk again now when alcohol hasn't affected me for the last however many years?" He throws his hands up exasperatedly.

"I don't know James! You tell me! Because you were drinking an awful lot tonight." You nearly shout.

"Because I don't get drunk! And even if I did so what? I'm allowed to have fun when my best friend is getting married!" He shoots back.

"That's not the point." You huff. "Forget it. We will talk about it in the morning... if you're not too hungover."

He rolls his eyes but then just turns and flops down on his side of the bed, facing away from you.

This was not the way you were expecting today to end.

Two days later...

You're sitting on the floor playing with the twins when there's a knock at the door. So you scoop them both up on one hip each before going over to open the door only to find Steve standing there, leaning on his crutch looking tired.

"Oh, hi Steve." You say surprised, not expecting to see him out and about. "Shouldn't you be resting or something?"

"I had rehab this morning and then was just on a walk to stretch my leg out when I thought I might pop round." He shrugs.

"Oh I see." You nod. "Did James go with you?" You add distastefully.

The two of you are still in a bit of a fight over the other night. Neither one of you wants to give up your side of the argument.

He shakes his head. "I told him to just worry about the bank today. Which is kind of what I wanted to talk to you about. But if you're busy I can go," he says, motioning to the twins.

"Oh no. You're fine. We were just playing. Come in." You shake your head and step aside.

"Thanks." He smiles and hobbles in, heading to a couch and awkwardly sitting down in it.

"So how is your leg feeling?" You ask as you place the twins down on their play mat and sit across from him. "Oh! I almost forgot! And how are the newly weds and expectant parents of course?"

His face lights up.

"We're Great. And the legs Better too." He nods and grins but then looks down at his leg furrowing his brow. "I've got more motion back and the pain isn't as intense. It's just gonna be a long process."

"It'll all be worth it though Steve I'm sure." You sigh.

"Here's hoping." He huffs.

There's an awkward silence for a moment and you can tell by the uncomfortable look on Steve's face what he's wanting to talk to you about. You're about to jump in and apologise but he speaks up.

"I hear the husbands in the dog box..." he starts hesitantly.

"Of course." You state. "I'm so sorry about that too by the way. I was so embarrassed by that. He must've ruined the night."

"What? No! No way! (Y/N) that's why I wanted to come talk to you." He replies, sounding worried.

"What do you mean?" You ask concerned. "He got drunk. That has to be it. He was being stupid.

"But I'm sure he wasn't. We just can't get drunk. Even if we drink tonnes. Trust me, when I thought he was dead I tried to get myself absolutely slaughtered. But I just felt nothing. No effects whatsoever." He explains.

"So? Aren't you guys slightly different?" You ask defensively.

He just looks at you. "We're not that different (Y/N). I feel like it's something else. He's working so hard in all areas of his life at the moment, I'm worried that he's going to burn out. What if that was like a precursor to him fully running himself into the ground? He must be absolutely exhausted and so stressed right now."

Your heart sinks and suddenly you feel really guilty.

"I hadn't really thought about that." You mumble. "But yeah, I guess having two newborns, a new job and a seriously injured friend that you're trying to help out would do that to someone."

He nods. "Like I said the other night, just look after him okay? I know you've got a lot on your plate too so if you ever need anything just sing out to me and Peggy."

"You guys aren't exactly full of free time either Steve." You point out. "I guess we're all just full on and busy."

"But that doesn't mean we can't help each other out right?" He smiles at you.

"Of course." You nod back and grin kindly.

One week later...

"Luke what is up with you at the moment? It's your sisters birthday. Not only that but it's her first day of school. Can you not just cooperate and put a smile on your face and be a good big brother and help her out. I don't know what's gotten into you the last few months but you need a serious attitude adjustment." You can't help but snap at him.

All morning he's been moping around and difficult to get ready. Meanwhile Isla is bouncing off the walls with excitement but is also stressing about being late.

"Nothings wrong mum!" He erupts back at you catching you off guard. "Maybe something's the matter with you because I'm fine!"

"Young man if you don't watch your mouth you will be grounded for the next week!" You shout.

"Woah woah woah!" Bucky rushes out into the lounge at all the noise. "What's going on?"

"Luke is behaving like a brat and won't get ready for school and is talking back." You explain.

At this Bucky's face goes dark. You're both sick of his behaviour at the moment but know that there must be a reason for it too but he just won't tell you anything so how are you supposed to help him.

"Luke! Get ready right now or else you won't get any of Islas cake tonight." Bucky calls down the hallway.

"Ugh, fine." He groans.

Haha. He's a sucker for sweet things.

You smile at Bucky and hug him.

"Thanks buck." You mumble tiredly into his chest.

To make things worse it was a rough night with the twins last night and then Isla was up early for obvious reasons too. She's so excited to have a day all about her. Plus, Bucky promised her a surprise after school which now she can't stop thinking about.

"No problem doll." He murmurs and kisses the top of your head.

You guys forgave each other pretty much the afternoon after Steve came over and just sat down and talked things out.

He then leans down and whispers in your ear. "You look exhausted. Have a break this afternoon. Once you bring the kids home I'll knock off early and take Isla to sign her up for dance lessons."

"Thank you." You smile gratefully up at him. "I'd be lost without you."

"I could say the same to you." He looks at you adoringly.

So after you both dropping Isla to school, Bucky heads to work and you take the twins home in the hopes that once they go down for a nap you'll be able to catch up on some sleep too. Which you do manage thank god or else you weren't sure how you'd be able to function for the rest of the day. Then you set to baking Isla's chocolate birthday cake and wrapping the last of her presents.

You pick the three older children up from school and daycare and not long after Bucky arrives home to take Isla out again and while Luke disappears to his room as per usual lately you tend to the twins and occupy Theo until Bucky and Isla arrive home about an hour later with pizza for dinner.

Straight away she comes leaping into the lounge.

"Mummy I'm going to be a ballerina!" She shrieks excitedly.

"Wow sweetie that's so cool!" You gasp encouragingly. "You're going to be the prettiest ballerina of them all once you open some of the presents we got you."

Her little face lights up. "Oh really?!"

"Mhm." You grin. "But you'll have to wait till after dinner and your bath to see because I don't want you spilling food on it."

"Okay well then let's eat!" She exclaims urgently and rushes to sit at the dinner table.

"Okay, okay." You laugh as you stand up, holding Theo.

Bucky smiles and pulls you in to his side to kiss your temple.

"Thank you." You whisper to him and he just nods knowingly.

You set Theo in his high chair and put the twins to bed for the night before coming back to the dinner table to see Isla already making a start.

"Oh wow thanks for waiting Isla." You state sarcastically.

Normally you would bring up table manners but it's her birthday and the truth is you can't wait to see her in the gorgeous little outfit you got her too.

"We have to hurry!" She urges and you obediently sit down and have your share of pizza followed by singing happy birthday, Bucky helping her blow out her candles and having a slice of cake.

She has her bath before finally unwrapping her presents and before you know it she is prancing around the house in the pretty little pale pink tule tutu and ballet slippers that you got her declaring herself a fairy princess.

It really is cute and brings an amused smile to yours and Bucky's faces and when you finally do get her to calm down and go to sleep you and Bucky head to bed yourselves, wiped out from a full on day but content. Lying in each other's arms, there is only one thing that you can think.

Your family is happy and safe right now, that's all that matters. Unlike normal nowadays, nothing dreadful like one of Bucky's missions seems to be looming up ahead anytime soon. Even though you are having your troubles with Luke your sure it's just teenage stuff and you know he will get over himself eventually. The main thing is that he - and everyone else in your household - is healthy at the moment.

Safe, and healthy... right?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

226K 6.8K 30
Part One of the "No Tricks" Trilogy. Sergeant James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes AKA The Winter Soldier doesn't remember much of his past. You are a forme...
1.5M 19.1K 180
‼️The story is in 2 parts, Enjoy!! Self-insert‼️ You are a former Black Widow who has been in hiding for years. You have made amends and have dealt w...
512K 15.4K 156
Adopted at a young age by Nicholas Fury, Y/N was raised as a Shield agent and was known to be one of the best. You were enhanced by Hydra before you...
3.2K 132 16
My second Marvel / Bucky Fanfic! Hope you enjoy! ***COMPLETED*** You are best friends with Bucky and Steve since you were 5 years old. You three we...