Beneath the Dark Crystal

By Magic_Is_Existing

(Note: Everything in this story belongs to the original creators. I only own the character, Mavra. Everything... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 4

116 2 3
By Magic_Is_Existing

Aughra hums, taking Kensho by the chin and examining the scar on his face. Kensho stares down at the chair Aughra sat him down in with curiosity.

"What's it do, hm? That's what you're thinking! Lenses and levers and mirrors of moonmelt! Huh!"

Aughra prepares the large chair that Kensho sits on. It is supposed to carry the Crystal's light and heal any scars or sickness a person has. As Thurma wanders around Aughra's laboratory curiously, Mavra stays by Kensho's side. "Are you sure the Crystal's light will work?" She asks. Aughra huffs and nods. "Of course! Crystal heals all! Hmph! Just have to be willing to take it."

Kensho shakes his head and starts to pull at his white braids nervously. "I-I'm sorry to say, Madam Sage, but it won't work." Aughra stares at Kensho's burned hand, glancing up at him.

"All these other scars, that what you mean, gelfling? Hm! Tried to heal them before, have you?" Aughra questions.

Thurma walks back over to the three of them, asking, "How did you get them, Kensho?"

Kensho frowns and looks away in slight shame. "I-It was the ... the blight. It came for my clan. First, the crops failed. The herds died. And then ... the shadow-fingers. The Elders thought they could burn off the fruits, stop the spread. A-And for me it worked! The fire saved me! But ... the rest?" Kensho takes in a deep breath, glancing at Mavra, then Thurma. "In the end, we came to the castle. I mean, what else could we do? But they said our offerings weren't enough. Not if we all wanted to feel the Crystal's light. S-So ... I became the Castle's indentured servant in return to save my clan. So, now I have a large debt to pay off to the Crystal."

Mavra crosses her arms and looks away, not wanting to say anything controversial. He really shouldn't need to offer the Crystal anything. It's the light of our Land. Besides, stuffing it with offerings really weighs down on it, Mavra silently thinks. Aughra frowns, staring at Kensho in sympathy. "Hmm. Those scars, they're part of you, gelfling! Why would the Crystal fix what makes you you? Hm?" Aughra says smartly.

Kensho sighs in irritation. "Y-You don't understand. The Crystal can't help my hand either! Because ... I have no offering to give," Kensho says, eyeing his hand.

Thurma's ears flattened on her head. She felt even worse for giving him that scar. Mavra grips his shoulder softly, making him look up at her. "Hey, if you really want my opinion on the whole offering ritual, I think it's a load of bogus. The Crystal shines on everyone. Good, bad, kind, cruel. Whether you have an offering or not." Kensho feels his cheeks heat up from her kind words.

Aughra smiles, her arms crossed. She nods in agreement with Mavra's wise words. "Right you are, gelfling," Aughra says turning to Kensho, "You're not in debt. Never were."

Kensho nods slowly, letting the Crystal's light from the chair work its magic on his wound. Aughra glances at Thurma. "Now. Tell me everything, Girl of Fire."

Thurma nods and keeps close to Mavra, still talking to Aughra. "There's a place. A place that was happy ... once. W-When I was tiny, I used to hear plasmii singing in the flarefall. I used to chase the schekta fry, steaming in the lava basins," Thurma reminisced, smiling sadly, but that smile doesn't stay for long. "Well. The lava's rock now. The schekta are frozen and gray. A-And the plasmii ... they scream instead of sing. The world inside Thra is dying. The Mother-Sun turns cold and dark and... and as it dies? We die."

Thurma stares down at her feet, remembering her Elders, her home. The thought of losing everyone and everything she loves scares her. Mavra's ears twist back sadly. She can't imagine all the pressure she has, especially considering how young she is. "The Ember Queens, my own mother ... they gave me almost all their strength so I could survive in this cold world. So I could blaze a trail here."

Everything remains silent for a moment's worth. Aughra huffs, putting her arms on her hips as she paces around the lab. "Saw it! Hm! Might've burned half the land, Fireling, just to get here."

Thurma pouts and exclaims, "But the water! They drenched me! L-Look how dimly I look! I can't race like I did. It's a three-day journey to get back home, and I don't know if I have the heat! Please! There's no time to lose!"

Mavra steps closer to Thurma, saying to her in a whisper, "You need to shatter the Crystal, right?"

Thurma looks away sadly, slowly nodding. "I need that shard," Thurma mutters.

Aughra hums out, "Hmph! Whispering, huh? Why's that?"

Thurma avoids any eye contact with either Aughra or Mavra. "It's ... Kensho, I guess. He's very kind. When our hands touched I just-- ... I knew, ''she says.

Mavra smiles a little, glancing back at Kensho lovingly. "Yes. It's very easy to read him. He's ... amazing ..." Mavra breathes out absentmindedly.

Thurma and Aughra stare at Mavra in question. She turns back to them, her ears perked and her pale face flushed. "O-Oh. Did I ... say that too loudly?"

Aughra chuckles. "And you said he was easy to read."

Mavra crosses her arms, shaking her head. "N-Never mind that. Sorry ... w-what were you saying, Thurma?" She quickly tries to change the subject.

Thurma sighs and says, "I don't know. I just ... everyone looked at me like I was a monster. When I told them what I had to do. The only one who was willing to listen ... was you, Mavra."

Mavra feels herself grow sheepish and scratches the back of her head. "Well ... of course. I know how it feels, I guess. Being the next ruler to a whole clan, holding the responsibility of all life on your land. It's definitely ... a lot to take alone. I ... I also have a strange feeling that you may be right to ... to take the shard."

Thurma perks up in surprise. "Wait, really? You do?!"

Aughra narrows her eye at Mavra in suspicion. "What makes you say that--huh--gelfling?" She asks.

Mavra hesitates to answer, not knowing if telling them what was to come is a good idea. Luckily, Kensho came to the rescue. "Hah! Mavra, look! It worked! Praise the generous Crystal!" Kensho cheers showing Mavra his healed hand.

Mavra smiles and chuckles. "See? I told you so, dummy," She says jokingly, patting his back. She glances at Aughra, who just stared at her skeptically.

Thurma was also invested in Mavra's reason but concluded that she would ask her later when Kensho wasn't around. Aughra turns from them, still thinking hard. "No prophecy for this problem, is there? Hm! No ancient law. You want to know what's needed, don't you? Hm! Say it! 'What's needed'?" Aughra tells the young gelflings and fireling.

Thurma rolls her dark irises. "I haven't time for--"

"--What's needed?" Kensho asks.

Aughra sighs tiredly, sitting down on her large chair, facing her third eye up to the stars. "New prophecy. That's what. Consult the ... stars ..." Augrah's words drag as she slowly falls into a deep slumber, seeking the star's wisdom.

Thurma's jaw drops in disbelief, growing more impatient by the minute.

Kensho and Mavra glance at one another and shrug. "Don't worry, Thurma. Aughra's very clever," Kensho reassures her.

Thurma scoffs. "She's loud and she smells and she talks like a mad person. How long will this take?"

Mavra giggles and says, "I heard she spent a year like this once."

Kensho grins at Mavra and nods. "Yeah. Wasn't she trying to hear in color?"

Mavra nods and sighs. "Yup. She's definitely quirky."

Thurma groans loudly, small flames popping around her. "I don't have time for this! My family's in danger and this old hag is slowing me down! I need to know more about the Crystal!" Thurma shouts.

Kensho slightly cowers behind Mavra, who stares at Thurma calmly. "Thurma, first take a deep breath, okay?"

Thurma's sharp glare pierces Mavra. She watches as Mavra takes a deep breath and quietly urges Kensho to do the same. Thurma eyes them before slowly--and hesitantly--following suite, her small flames dying down. Once Mavra deems her as calm, she walks close to Thurma. "Thurma, I want to help you. Uh ... whatever you're planning, I'm here to help," She tells her, smiling. Thurma furrows her eyebrows. "Yes, but--"

"I'll help you, too, Thurma," Kensho adds, walking up next to Mavra. "I don't know what you're planning either, but I do want to help." Thurma glances between the two with uncertainty. "Why?" She asks eyes narrowed. Kensho glances at Mavra before looking back at Thurma.

"Well, for one, Mavra wants to help you, and I trust her judgment very well. But ... I can also tell that you're good. Even though you're angry, scared, weak-- ... um ... well, you know, all of those things! But the most important is that you're good," He explains to Thurma earnestly. Thurma's fiery eyebrows raise. Mavra puts a hand to her chest while saying, "And ... I have a feeling the Crystal destined for all of us to meet, Thurma. I'm in."

Thurma remains quiet, feeling the guilt weigh on her chest. Why are they so kind, she thinks, I wish they weren't. This journey would have been much easier to accomplish. Mavra gestures for Thurma to follow her and Kensho. "Come along. I'll teach you more about the Crystal while Augrah rests," She says, her hands clasped together. Thurma frowns, following the two out of the laboratory and down the stairs.

"You ... You two might not think that if you knew what I'm really planning," Thurma says, glancing at Mavra, and almost begging her with her eyes to remain quiet about her plans. Mavra catches on quick and throws her a reassuring smile. We'll have to tell him eventually though, Mavra thinks to herself, glancing up at Kensho as he spoke, "I bet I would. The Crystal taught us to make our world in its light." Thurma arches an eyebrow. "What's that even mean?"

Mavra laughs lightly under her breath. "It's ... sort of open to interpretation. Oh! Kensho, tell her what your mother would always say to you," Mavra says excitedly, taking Kensho by his arm, making him chuckle. "Okay, okay. My mother always says good things happen when you help good people," He says, turning to Thurma, her pace slowing down behind the two of them.

"Kensho, don't you ever regret coming here? A-And how can you just ...just accept the behavior of your gelfling kind, Mavra? They're all so ... mean!" She questions. Kensho glances at Mavra who looks a little shy to answer that question.

"Oh, well, th-they're not that bad. Besides, my clan was in danger. You'd do the same, I know it. When it comes to the people you love? There's nothing you wouldn't do to save them," Kensho responds, continuing his walk next to Mavra. Thurma stays in place while trying to regain her poster again.

God, what am I doing? I'm deceiving Kensho. And I don't know how much Mavra knows, or why she wants to help, but I have feeling ... none of this will end well for her, Thurma's melancholy thoughts enter her mind. Mavra looks back at Thurma quickly, feeling bad for the poor Fireling. "Hey, we found what we were looking for!" She calls to Thurma, who immediately perks up and quickly follows behind them.

They all enter a room full of the dark skesis artifacts and weapons. The room had an eerie chill, making Thurma feel uncomfortable. "By ... by the Great Fire ..."

Kensho hums in curiosity as Thurma walks over to the candles perched on the wall.

Mavra raises one of her eyebrows. "Um, are you--"

"--all right?" Kensho finishes for Mavra.

"Guys, what is this place? I can ... nnn ... I can feel the terror, the flame's sick with it ..." Thurma starts to stumble a bit from the touch of the flame. Kensho and Mavra's eyes widen and they immediately jump into action, making sure she doesn't fall over. "Whoa, Thurma, careful!" Mavra exclaims. "Here, let us--"

Thurma quickly steps away from them. "No! Don't touch! You'll hurt yourselves. I'm fine ...! Just ... just tell me what these things are," She says sternly.

Mavra quickly apologizes, "I-I'm sorry I brought you here. This place was created so we don't forget the evil ways of the skeksis. Not to repeat what they did," Mavra explains. "But they're relics. Relics from the time when it was broken," Kensho adds.

Thurma feels herself cripple as the flame's past flashed through her mind. She saw visions of the draining of podlings, the trials the skeksis performed, and the giant garthim. Mavra frowns, pointing around to all the relics, naming and explaining what they were used for, "That's the draining chair where they leeched the vital essence of my people. The swords they used to vie for power. And ... the great scepter they used to command the garthim legions." Thurma frowns staring at Mavra, then Kensho, not liking the way their solemn faces looked. "Mavra, w-who are 'they'?"

"Huh?" A voice chimes in from the entrance. All three swiftly turn around to the voice, finding the Crystalline Eminence and the Commander standing at the doorway. "The skeksis, of course," The Eminence answers, staff held tightly in his grip. "The fiends who ruled the shattered Crystal. Those whose return we must strive daily to prevent. For this we make offerings to the Crystal of light, and--"

"--Um. I don't think the offerings are actually vital for it to work, s-sirs," Kensho says, glancing at Mavra who smiles a little at him to help soothe his nerves. The Eminence points his staff at Kensho. "Naked heresy! He condemns himself!" The Crystalline Eminence shouts.

"We've had enough of your insubordination, Kensho. Your attempts to humiliate us before the Great Elders will fail!" The Commander yells. Kensho is taken aback from their bold claims. "But--"

"You are reassigned to the catacombs! Let's see how keen you are to share your opinions after thoughtful mediation--three years shoveling tumbeloth dung, eh?!" The Commander says coldly, his gaze dark. Mavra huffs, her fists on her hips. "As the next All-Maudra to the throne, I forbid you from reassigning anybody anywhere!" Mavra commands, stepping in front of Kensho protectively. The Eminence rolls his eyes and pokes her chest back with his staff. "You are merely another pest, your highness. There's no need for you here, nor do you have the authority to change this acolyte's fate!"

Kensho furrows his eyebrows and quickly catches Mavra from falling back into him. His grip tightens around her as he hesitates to speak up for once.

Thurma growls and stands next to Kensho. "Come on, Kensho. Don't let them push you and Mavra around! They don't know the first thing about what's right! All they care about is that riches keep coming! You don't have to do anything these greedy spitheads tell you--not ever again!"

Kensho grows stiff as he continues to glance at Mavra for answers. She only stares at him with wide eyes, silently telling him to stand up for himself as well. Kensho lets go of Mavra, keeping his head low. Mavra glares at the Commander and Eminence before turning to Kensho. She grabs him by the shoulders and sighs, softly saying, "Kensho, please. The Crystal can't be what they stand for. I ... I'm going to need you to be brave." Kensho's head dips lower in embarrassment.

The Eminence steps closer to them. "Well? What about it, heretic? Will you permit the ... demon and this useless nuisance to corrupt you? Will you defy the stewards of the Crystal?" Kensho glares up at the Eminence before giving Mavra an apologetic look. He doesn't want them to hurt Mavra or Thurma. He needs to walk away, right? He puts his hood up before trudging his way out of the room.

Mavra watches Kensho leave in utter disbelief. "Oh, Kensho ..."

Thurma's hands roll into fists as she watches him walk away. "No."

The Eminence and the Commander grin deviously, watching him exit the room. Thurma huffs and looks over at Mavra before running away. Mavra gasps and looks back at the Commander and Eminence. She quickly follows Thurma while they aren't looking, whisper-shouting, "Thurma, wait!"

The Commander turns back around. "As for you, Flame-Devil ..." Both the Commander and the Eminence frown when they don't see either of the two girls there anymore. "Oh ..." The Commander mutters.

"Bullies ..." Thurma mutters, making her way to the Crystal chamber. "Thurma, maybe we're rushing into things--" Mavra tries reasoning with Thurma, but is stopped by Thurma's yell.

"No! You said you'd help me get this shard, right?" She announces, anger evident in her tone.

"W-Well, yes, but bringing the shattered Crystal back will ... will corrupt the balance of my world! I want us to think rationally!"

Thurma groans loudly, continuing to run. "Then go away! I don't need you slowing me down!"

Mavra's jaw drops, not knowing how to respond to that. She groans, knowing that if this is the way of the Crystal, she must abide. She chases after Thurma.

~

Aughra lays still in her chair, smiling a little. "Ah. Riddles. From the stars. Yes! Prophecy! When feeble shines what once was bright ... and secret spheres succumb to the night--if inward passes the slivered light--one world dies ... and another made right."

~

Thurma climbs over one of the Garthim's old cages, landing on the tall ledge looming over the Crystal, her stone shoe in her grip. "Nothing. Nothing you wouldn't do to save the people you love," Thurma recites Kensho's words. Mavra gasps, seeing her climb over the edge. "Thurma, be careful!" She runs over and follows Thurma to the ledge.

~

"Slivered light ... passing inward ... hm! ... one world dies. Hm! The Fireling! To save her world she'll ..."

~

Mavra watches her parents sleeping soundly against one another on their pedestal. Suddenly, a feeling she never wanted to feel swelled in her chest.

Fear.

Fear for her parents.

Fear for her people.

Fear for her home.

Fear for her ending fate.

She looks back at Thurma, seeing how she jumped off the ledge to get to the top of the Crystal. Mavra feels her wings work on their own as she speeds towards Thurma, her hand outstretched. "Thurma, no!" She screams.

Crack!

The deed was done.

As Thurma dug the stone shoe into the Crystal, a sudden spark of pain erupted in Mavra's heart. She felt as though it had been pinched and squeezed. Then, a volt of electricity ran throughout her whole body. She starts to lose control with her wings, crashing onto the hard ground, and coming to an abrupt landing on the side; knocked out. Kira and Jen had woken with a jolt from the Crystal's sudden crack as well, screaming in agony as the same pain ran through their bodies.

~

" ... she'll end ours!" Augrah exclaims fearfully.

~

The Crystal's dark rays blast Thurma off. She lands roughly next to Mavra's limp body.

Then, a loud and clear, "mmmmMMMmmmMmm ..." comes from the dust and fog of the Crystal.

The Skeksis have returned.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

210 5 1
In a world, a long, long time ago, lived a crystal. The lands flourished and bloomed until the crystal cracked, the shard lost to time. There came tw...
3.6K 169 26
If you haven't go read, "Broken Heart" that is probably one of the most underrated stories I've written thus far, cause this is a sequel to that stor...
9.7K 347 17
You are an absolutely impossible being. A Jaspilite gem, shattered thousands of years ago, your shards inherited by various organic beings throughout...
6.7K 290 48
The Puppet Master sees all. He hears all. Knows all. Controls all. He will do anything to get his hands on the ultimate power. Even if it means "rem...