Dragon Age Inquisition: Legen...

By McKellroy

As the Inquisition begins to gain strength all across Southern Thedas, an aging Dragonborn finds himself in t... More

Prologue
In your Heart shall Thuum
Meeting the Inquisition
Meeting The Inquisition Part Two
Settling into Skyhold
Sparring, Explaining, and Building
A Request from the Inquisitor
MysteriousWays
Blood and Ebony
Unlikely Companions
Unlikely Companions Part 2
Something in the Air
Elves and Dragons
Gathering for War
The Lost Hero
Stormrider
Alduin
Dreams

Darkness, Demons, and Dwemer

465 16 5
By McKellroy

Krem was feeling pretty good about himself despite the weather. A couple of Venatori bastards lay dead at his feet. The rush from the battle had warmed his body back up from the partial icicle it had become and his chief had now broken out the casks to celebrate another victory against the Teveniter extremists. Sure, he was covered in blood and he was fairly certain it was going to freeze to his body before the day was over but that was thinking too far ahead. Right now, he was just going to sit down around a fire with the rest of the Chargers and enjoy a not so fine drink with friends.

"How we looking, Cheif?"

"Like shit Krem." Bull replied, holding up the body of a former Venatori with one hand and going through the dead man's pockets with his other. "Not much money on these guys."

Krem poured himself a mug of ale from an opened cask and then another for Bull. "Well here's a drink for when you're finished."

Bull tossed the dead man away with a sigh and walked over to Krem. "You'd think we'd see something interesting by now."

"What were you expecting to find here?" Krem asked, looking around at the frozen town they had settled in and the surrounding snowy wasteland. "An ice dragon?"

Bull sighed. "Don't get my hopes back up Krem."

Krem laughed and took another drink. Bull grabbed his mug just as two more Chargers marched into view. Krem started filling two more cups "Skinner, Grim, catch any more of these bastards on the outskirts?"

"Most of them," Skinner answered, immediately going for the drink. "A few ran off into the hills but the cold should take care of them."

"Sloppy, Skinner." Bull chided. "I don't want us having a reputation on letting Venatori get away from us."

"Give me a break." Skinner shot back. "There's still plenty of the bastards around in the hills so we're not done yet." She looked over to the blonde man that had accompanied her back. " By the way, Grim found a stash of red lyrium a few miles north. We should send Rocky out to deal with it when he comes back." She took a gulp of her drink and made her way towards the fire as Grim grabbed his own cup from Krem.

"Good find Grim. Any Venatori at that lyrium site?" Krem asked.

"Mph."

"Thought so," Krem replied as Grim also moved towards the fire. Krem joined them as Bull held a small map of the area up to his face.

"Daliish and Rocky aren't back yet so there might be trouble."

"We sent them pretty far out." Krem reminded his chief. "And Maker knows what kind of shit's out here so they might've got held up."

Skinner smirked. "Maybe they're out fighting an ice dragon."

"That's twice now I've heard that joke," Bull groaned. "And I'm going to be pissed if it's true."

Krem chuckled and raised his up for another drink when he noticed the area around them growing darker. He wasn't the only one either, Skinner's eyes darted all around and Grim held his breath as Bull looked up towards the sky. "What in the fuck?" Bull asked.

There was a strange tone in his voice that made Krem anxious. He was thrown off, worried even. Krem looked up as well and noticed the previously blue and cloudy sky had blackened almost to the point it might as well have been night and the once blindingly white sun had taken on a dull, blood-colored tone to it. At the center of the sphere though, was a visible sentence.

THE EXALTED PLAINS BELONG TO ALDUIN.

Krem pulled his eyes back away from the message and over to his chief who still looked upwards. He noticed Skinner and Grim doing the same and their gazes grew even more curious as Bull looked back at them. He was just as lost as they were. "Well, that's not good." He said.

It wasn't very often that Viviene and Dorain found themselves in each other's company. The two very different in personality and whenever they served together, they spent most of their time verbally sparring with each other. A snide remark about Tevniters being barbarians would be followed by a question of how many mages had been locked away by the Southern Circles, and it would go on and on from there. This dueling of words happened so often and with so much variety that a few of the Inquisitor's other squadmates started taking notes for future use themselves.

Somewhere along the way though, beneath all the insults and snappy remarks, a smattering of understanding had grown between them. To the point where the pair would work rather well together in combat and proved decisive during a battle with a group of Avvar and Red Templars in the Fallow Mire. This battle, however, as well as the toll the bog, the undead, and the constant storms of the area, had taken on their spirits and bodies.

They were sidelined to Skyhold to rest for the time being. This, in turn, caused more than a little frustration when news broke that the Inquisitor was heading to the Dales next. Neither Dorian nor Viviene enjoyed being away from the action and silently fumed when the Inquisitor went off to her next adventure, leaving them behind to mope around the palace. But it wasn't all terrible. Staying at Skyhold did provide the pair with some time to catch up on their other hobbies. Viviene consolidated her letters and contacts to and from the imperial court whilst Dorian practiced his magic and read up on any history of Southern Thedas he could get his hands on.

And during these activities, both enjoyed having fine wines with them.

"That is excellent, darling," Viviene said. "Is that a Vint-9...

"Rowan's Rose, yes." Dorian finished, pouring his own cup. "A little something I've been saving."

Viviene gave a nod to her fellow mage. "Well, thank you, Dorian. It's refreshing to have a proper drink once again."

Dorian shrugged. "Think of it as a rare showing of Tevinter generosity."

"'Rare' doesn't seem like a strong enough word, my dear," Viviene replied, opening another letter and holding it so that the sun from her deck shined on it. "Perhaps, mythical is the word you're looking for.

Dorian smiled as he sat down across from her couch with his book in hand. "Ah, I'd say almost as mythical as an overpampered Orlesian not strutting around like a peacock."

A small smile appeared on her own lips as they both drank again. "So, what's your chosen subject today?"

Dorian opened his book. "A history of Orlesian Emperors and Empresses."

"Lovely topic," Viviene said.

"The Inquisition will be interfering with the Civil War soon enough, so best I familiarize myself with the matter," Dorian said, leaning back against his chair. "Do you have a preference to who sits on the throne, Viviene?"

She gave a curt nod. "Empress Celene is the best choice."

"And that's not because you're the grand enchanter to her court?" Dorian asked.

Viviene lowered the letter and began to write her own. "Empress Celene is a studied player of the Game. A master manipulator and skilled tactician. She knows the name of every nobleman in Orlais as well as their likes and dislikes and she strives to continue making Orlais the envy of Thedas in culture and political power. To lose her would be catastrophic for the aristocracy. And complicate matters for everyone else."

"Everything in the empire complicates matters." A new voice said, walking up the stairs to greet them. "It's the Orlesain national pastime."

Viviene tilted her head at the arriving commander. "General, what an odd sight, seeing you out and about."

Cullen rubbed the back of his neck as he walked over to them. "Needed to stretch my legs. We've managed to get a firm hold on Ferelden but Orlais is going to be a bigger challenge. I was on my way to discuss things with Josephine when I heard you two talking about it."

Dorian smirked at the chance for another opinion. "And how would you handle things in Orlais?"

"Put Gaspard on the throne," Cullen answered.

Dorian raised an eyebrow. "Any particular reason?"

"Orlais needs someone with a military mind in charge. Gaspard's a proven battle commander, an experienced soldier, commands the respect of the chevaliers," Cullen sent a glare to Viviene. "And he was the rightful ruler."

The last statement made Dorian raise his other eyebrow "He was?"

"I told you Celene was a master at the Game," Viviene said. "She outmaneuvered Gaspard and won over the Council of Heralds, which hold all authority on title disputes.

"And it was Celene who refused Gaspard's offer of marriage that ensured this war." Cullen continued.

"Such a meeting would've been unproductive and you know it." Viviene laughed. "Two opposing minds rarely make for an effective rule."

"Wait a minute," Dorian said, shutting his book. "I'm still trying to wrap my head around something."

Cullen and Viviene looked over to him.

"If even the Emperor or Empress can be decided by the Council of Heralds, does that mean almost anyone could take the position if they just win them over?"

Cullen paused to think before speaking again. Orlesian politics wasn't his field of expertise after all. "If they won over the entire council's support, I believe so."

"But it couldn't just be an unknown," Viviene answered. "To even expect the council to know who you are would require that most people in the empire, if not the world, know who you are."

"I see." Dorian sighed. "So it really is just down to Gaspard or Celene then?"

"And it should be Celene if we want a valuable long term ally." Viviene chuckled at Cullen's glare and continued."Orlais already had the strongest military before the duke decided to rebel." Viviene pointed out. "If he were in charge, Orlais would go to war with Ferelden, Navara, Antiva. And once it was done, move on to bigger targets like the Imperium and the Qunari."

Dorian was surprised at the man's bravery. Or was it stupidity? "He wants to fight every one of them?"

"Eventually." Viviene nodded. "Gaspard is a great warrior and an excellent soldier. No better man exists to lead Orlais' army." She conceded. "But soldiers rarely make for good emperors. And I see no reason why the Inquisition would sit him on the throne when a perfect leader all ready..."

Their conversation came to a halt when both noticed the light from Viviene's deck fade at an unnerving rate. Soon darkness covered it, as well as all of Skyhold. Torches began to light up the castle and Cullen, Viviene and Dorian could hear the cries from soldiers below them to look up. The trio did so and found the source of the darkness.

"The Exalted Plains belong to Alduin." Dorian read. He looked at Viviene. "You failed to mention him."

"Mother?"

Morrigan looked up from her elven tome. It was seldom her son took on such a confused tone. "What is it, Kieran?"

"Something's wrong."

Morrigan turned away from her desk and saw her son, standing out on the deck of their home in Val Royeaux. But where the light of the sun should've been visible, shadows had descended. Morrigan rushed over to her sun and quickly saw that the shadows had overtaken not just the area in front of them, but the entire city itself. As well as everything beyond it. One would be forgiven for believing that night had come several hours early, at least until they looked up to where the sun should've been. In the place of an orb of blinding light, was a blood-red ball with words of light written into it.

"Alduin..." The word brought a strange shade of surprise to Morrigan's voice.

Kieran turned to his mother with a concerned stare. "Do you think it's the same Alduin we met?"

"Tis' possible," Morrigan said, stepping next to her son. "But I was certain he'd be dead by now."

"Why's that?" Kieran asked.

"He was a fool," Morrigan replied. "Certainly not someone who held such a power."

"Oh," Kieran said. "What is this power? It doesn't seem like regular magic."

"No, I suspect it isn't," Morrigan said, in what was perhaps the biggest understatement of modern history.

"I think..." Kieran's eyes drifted back towards the sky. "...it's more than one kind of magic." He read the statement carved into the red sun again. "Those words seem different from the darkness. Are they?" He asked his mother.

"I don't know Kieran," Morrigan whispered to her son. Her mind began to race. What they were seeing, what the entire world was seeing, was an event that had never happened before. The sun going red, the sky blackening, words appearing in the sky. To the uneducated, this would seem like a yet another sign of the ensuing end times. But to her, it was far more troubling. She had no idea what it meant. It gave her a sort of feeling that had usually been treated with her beloved's hand on her shoulder and an insufferable smile that had somehow managed to charm her.

"Who is Alduin?" That was the question now on the mind of every man, woman, or child alive. Maybe even a few of the dead as well. Even they'd have to notice what had happened to the sun. Bastien sat in his rocking chair on the deck of his palace in Val Royeaux and chuckled at the thought. He'd be dead in a few months time anyway so he'd be sure to ask them. As his smile died down, his thoughts began to turn to what this meant.

Another sign of the end of days? He doubted it. He'd bought into the Blight of ten years ago as being such and he wasn't about to be fooled again. A tool of the Inquisition, perhaps? Possible. He could write to Viviene for possible details if true, but if they had such a weapon in storage, why not send up a different message? One telling them to join, maybe. Or a call to end the civil war. The sentence "THE EXALTED PLAINS BELONG TO ALDUIN." Didn't seem like something they'd send up for all to view. The same would apply to either Gaspard or Celene's forces.

One by one, each possible explanation would be ruled out. Qu'un, Tevninter, Seheron, apostates, rogue mages or templars, an act by the Maker himself, none of them could apply to the message that the world saw as far as he knew. and there was now one conclusion. A new player was on the board in Orlais. And he had announced himself as Alduin.

"Laurent!" Bastien's voice rang out from his balcony down to his son. It proved loud enough to peel his attention away from the sky and over to his father.

"Call a meeting of the Council of Heralds," Bastien ordered. "I want every member in Val Royeaux here in four hours. And all those abroad, within the week.

"Yes, father," Laurent replied. "Is this about the sky?"

"No. Of course not. Why would this be about the sky?" Bastien asked down to his son. "Is something wrong with it?"

"Well, father..."

"Yes, it's about the sky, you idiot!" Bastien's voice caused Laurent to jump at its power. "Get a note to every Herald now."

Laurent didn't bother to give a verbal response and immediately set to work. Bastien could see him almost look back up to the sky but quickly refocused himself on his new task and vanished from sight. Bastien let out a light chuckle at what must've been going through his son's mind. Was he darting over possible solutions just as he had or was he still just trying to wrap his head around the visual itself? He'd hoped it was the former but something told him it was the latter.

In any case, Bastien hoped his son knew that there wasn't much the Council of Heralds could do about what they were seeing. It was a group called together to determine titles among the nobility and to choose a ruler of Orlais should there be a problem with succession. It was not created to deal with world-shattering events such as the sun darkening and Bastien doubted any such council existed anywhere in the world. Save for maybe the Qu'un, and even then, he doubted they were prepared for such an event.

So the Council itself would be useless in such an endeavor, but the council members themselves, they would be of more use. Seven members belonging to some Orlais' greatest and oldest families whose combined influence would rival that of an emperor or empress. And hopefully, with all of them working together to find information on this Alduin, they would determine just who or what it was and what it meant for Orlais. He'd have to work fast though. Everyone else in the world would soon be doing the same.

With the ensuing headache of an emergency meeting of the Council of Heralds now firmly in his mind, Bastien De Ghislain willed himself out of his rocking chair and made his way to his desk to draft some letters of his own. One to his wife, and one to his mistress. The first to assure her that the sky turning black was not an omen of the end times and the second asking her to make sure it wasn't.

The cackles that came from the witch were beyond unsettling to Sampson. Their echoes seemed to rattle the very sand of the Western Approach. that surrounded her and his Red Templars as they marched through it. Or rather, had been marching through it. The darkened sky had all but stopped them in their tracks and Sampson himself couldn't peel his eyes away from the anomaly. Somehow, the sun itself had dimmed and a visible sentence could be found plastered on its sphere.

"Witch," Sampson called out. "What about this is so funny?"

"The Dovahkiin has given you a glimpse of his power, Templar," Potema told him, her eyes glared hungrily at the blood-red sun. "You and the rest of the world."

Hardvak was behind this? The one who had saved the Pretender from Corypheus? Sampson read the message again. "If this is Hardvak's power, then who is Alduin?"

Another laugh rippled through the air of the Western Approach before the Wolf Queen answered. "Alduin is the World Eater. He who is the end of things. The first son of Akatosh himself and the bringer of the next world."

Those were lofty titles for one the witch seemed to deem weaker than an old man. "How is he not worse than this Hardvak?" Sampson asked.

She finally looked back to him. "Hardvak destroyed him."

Her smile grew when Sampson frowned. For the first time since she had met the Red Templar commander, he didn't seem quite as dismissive of the warrior named Hardvak. It was a meager step in the right direction, but a step nonetheless. Best she did not give further details, lest he starts assuming that she was exaggerating.

"I'd strengthen your outposts in this desert," Potem said. "And I'd avoid having to march back into the Exalted Plains for a while."

"I don't..."

"I'm not giving you orders," Potema told him. "I'm giving you advice. If you wish your work to remain away from the Orlesian eyes, stay out of the Dales for now. Every countries' eyes will be on it to see his next move. "

It was sound advice, even if he didn't trust the one who gave it. Sampson gave the order to keep marching through the Western Approach on their way to meet Livius Erimond and discuss the preparations at Adamant fortress. "What will you do?" He asked the witch.

Potema's reply was swift. "My master has called me to this desert for a reason, I will see what he wants."

That was enough for Sampson who quickly followed his men away from the woman.

"So Hardvak, you've finally thrown subtlety out the window," Potema said. She looked back up to the sky. "Good."

Alduin had been doing a decent job of holding back the lunges of Emilina before the sky had darkened. The pair ceased their bout and looked up to the heavens to see what had caused the scene.

"I wasn't aware you were lord of the Exalted Plains." Emilina said, after reading the sentence."

"I'm not," Alduin said, his gaze also locked onto the sun.

"The sun is saying otherwise."

"Dovahkiin..." Alduin growled. "What have you done?"

"He's plastered your name on the sun."

"I can see that elf," Alduin said, peeling his eyes away from the sun. "Do you know why he would do such a thing?"

"The last few weeks he's been riding with Stormrider to dressing in armor and going by your name. Winning over or striking at pieces of Gaspard's and Celene's forces."

Alduin looked over to Stormrider. Her gaze went up to the sun as well though it fell back to him not a moment later. "Did you know about this?" Alduin yelled out to the dragon.

Stormrider gave a huff that only annoyed him further. Alduin started away from the creature and Emilina and out towards where he had seen Hardvak go.

"How long do you intend to leave the sky like that?" Cole asked.

"I'll give it another few minutes," Hardvak said. "Just to make sure everyone got a chance to see it."

"How much time does it usually take for someone to notice that the sun went out like a candle? Varic asked, trying to bring some humor back into the situation through his eyes were still locked on the darkened skies.

"You'd be surprised," Hardvak said. "But as I said, a few more minutes then I'll put it back."

"You'll put back the sun." Rayara let out a hollow laugh. "And I thought I could make cataclysmic events sound casual."

Hardvak shifted his gaze to the Seeker next. Her eyes were stuck on the sky just like everyone else's but he could see something else in them besides awe. "Something bothering you?" Hardvak asked her.

Cassandra pulled her gaze from the sky and over to him. Her awe shifted to concern. "Are you aware of what this will cause? Not just for the Inquisition, but for the Chantry, Southern Thedas, The Imperium, The Qunari?"

"Not just them," Hardvak said. "I figure everyone in the world will know the name Alduin by the end of the day."

"That's not the point," Cassandra replied. "A power like the one you wield has never been seen before. There will be panic"

"Yeah, I imagine this will cause a few headaches." Hardvak shrugged. "But people will get over it."

"You've just darkened the entire world," Cassandra insisted. "How can you be so nonchalant about that?"

"Experience," He answered. "If you're worried about worldwide panic, don't be. The nobles will be worried and start looking into Alduin but for the small folk, it'll pass. They'll be worried for a couple of days or weeks about what they saw and after nothing happens, they'll get on with their lives."

Cassandra tilted her head. "Have you done this before?"

Hardvak didn't reply, knowing that his answer would only confuse her even more. "Any questions, Solas?" He asked towards the apostate.

As he imagined, he had plenty. "How did you come by such a power?"

"Elves," Hardvak replied. "Snow Elves to be precise." He held up his bow to the elf. "This bow was an artifact wielded by Auriel some millennia ago."

Solas took the bow once again, studying even more intensely than he had before."Who was Auriel?" He asked.

"A dragon, elf, Divine. He's a lot of things depending on who you talk to," Hardvak said. "Divines are what we call the gods of my home." He added.

"You carry a bow created by a god?" Solas asked.

Hardvak smirked at the astounded look on the apostate's face. "It wasn't easy to come by. We had to trek into a forgotten land, battle two dragons, chase off or kill Talos knows how many Falmer, fetch some water, head into a centuries-old building and fight more Falmer, and then try our luck against a ridiculously powerful vampire Snow Elf. "

"We?" Rayara asked.

Hardvak blinked. "Pardon?"

"You said we," Rayara repeated.

Hardvak rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah. A woman named Serana traveled with me. It's thanks to her I had any Bloodcursed Arrows at all. Those are the black ones, by the way."

"Wait, her blood is the reason the sky turned black?" Cole asked.

Hardvak nodded looked towards the crimson sun. "An arrow coated in the blood of a Daughter of Coldharbour. That was the secret to blotting out the sun."

"Coated in her blood?" Cole peered into the Nord. "Did you..."

"No, kid. I didn't kill her." Hardvak laughed. "That seemed to be the idea about the prophecy though. And it put her at odds with her father."

Varic chuckled, finally speaking after witnessing the sky going black. "That little adventure sounds like it would make for a good book."

Hardvak shrugged. "Maybe, it's a shame I didn't bring my memoirs with me. Would've been nice to get a second opinion." He held his hand out to Solas who then returned the bow. He then nocked the Sun-Hallowed arrow and pointed it upwards. He released it and as before, the arrow soared into the sky and vanished from sight. A few moments later, the darkness that had suddenly enveloped the sun began to creep away and the white-yellow light of a mid-day sun once again showered the world, restoring color to the sky and comfort to everyone one who lived under it.

"There we go. Back to normal," Hardvak said, snapping his fingers in front of Kara, who had been noticably quiet up until that point. "Everything all right Kara?"

"You blew out the sun." She breathed out. "And then lit it up again, like a goddamn candle."

Hardvak clasped her shoulder and pointed her at the Inquisition. "

The group was still too stunned to give a proper reply and the same applied to Kara. Some footsteps from behind caught Hardvak's attention and he turned just in time to see an Argonian slash at him with a sword. Hardvak sidestepped the strike and backhanded him with enough force to knock him to the ground.

"Enjoy the show?" Hardvak said to the downed creature.

"You used my name?!" Alduin yelled.

"I did," Hardvak replied.

"You had no right-"

"Don't talk to me about rights," Hardvak said. His voice went cold. "Try to strike me again, and I'll break both your hands." He turned back to the new arrivals and gestured to the fallen creature. "Inquisition, this is Alduin."

It was impossible for the group to be shocked so completely again after seeing the sun dimmed but seeing the faces they made at the sight of Alduin was a close second as far as Hardvak was concerned. "What is he?" Rayara asked.

"An Argonian," Hardvak said. "The lizard people I told you about."

Rayara's hesitation mimicked that of her party save for one.

"Are you okay?" Cole asked, kneeling down and outstretching his hand to Alduin. He was met with a growl and his hand remained untouched as Alduin stood up on his own. He glanced at the new group before turning his back to them and heading back into the swamp.

When Cole stood back up, the Nord slapped his back. "Don't take it personally. He's an asshole."

"He hurts," Cole said. "He hurts a lot."

"Good," Hardvak replied. "If there was ever a creature that deserved to, it's him." He turned back to the Inquisition and gestured they follow the Argonian. "Come on, you can see the others."

"This has been my base of operations for the last few weeks," Hardvak told them as they marched through the swamp. "From here, I head out through the plains and deal with the undead and Celene and Gaspard's forces.

"On the back of a dragon," Rayara added, curious as to why he was leaving that part out. "Either side seem organized out here?"

"Not very," Hardvak told her. "One of Gaspard's fortress' was only garrisoned by a few men who had received conflicting orders. I'd say the Inquisition could roll right in if they wanted to."

"Any major clashes?" Cassandra asked.

"The undead put a halt into the war effort," Hardvak said. "And elven spies have been sowing chaos on both sides as well. At least that's what the soldiers I meet are saying."

"I've been briefed on them," Rayara said. "They're headed by a woman named Briala who's taking advantage of the conflict for political purposes."

"You don't know that," Kara spoke up,

Rayara tilted her head. "Well it comes from my Council, and they don't usually lie to me."

"I just mean, maybe she actually wants to help elves," Kara spoke. "You know, the very people you supposedly belong to?"

The sentence made the Inquisitor grit her teeth. "Hardvak, where did you find Kara?"

"Up in the mountains," The Nord replied. "Former bandit."

"I'm being lectured at by a bandit," Rayara sighed at the elf. "Who are you to talk about helping anyone but yourself?"

"Well not all of us can be born into some high and mighty family with supernatural gifts," Kara replied.

"How many people did you kill before Hardvak came along?" Rayara snapped back.

"Oh, so you've never killed anyone?" Kara asked.

"No, I've killed people." Rayara nodded. "Red Templars, angry mages, demons. Do you want to compare body counts? Pride demon versus a lost kid?"

Kara spun around ready to attack but was stopped by the Nord's hand.

"Easy, Kara," Hardvak warned. "I didn't call them over just for you to pick a fight."

"You shouldn't have called her over at all," Kara replied. "And I never killed any kid."

"No, because bandits have such high standards, right?" Rayara asked, pushing past the elf and up towards Hardvak. Kara seemed to freeze at the Inquisitor's words and started moving behind the group.

"Bodyguard?" Rayara asked.

"Company is company," Hardvak replied. "And she's decent enough in a fight so I decided she could travel with me." He looked back towards the elf girl and sighed. "Sorry about that."

"Please," Rayara chuckled. "I've heard worse back in the Free Marches. From both my family and my clan."

"Is there a difference?"

"Not as much as each would like to think." Rayara sighed. "Those on my Dalish side I call clan, those on my human side I call family. The point is, I learn how to handle an insult from each at a young age. I developed a certain philosophy because of it."

"Which is?"

"Don't dish it out if you can't take it."

Hardvak let out a laugh and the group continued further into the Ghilan'nain's Grove. When they finally arrived, the first sight to greet them was the body of a massive dragon. Everyone in the Inquisitor's group stiffened causing Hardvak to speak up. "Don't draw your weapons, you'll just make her mad." Hardvak warned."

The dragon sent a glare towards Hardvak and he spoke again. "No, I did not bring you some food. They're friends. And you ate already." Another few seconds passed and he continued. "Then go out and eat some Freemen if you don't like my food." Hardvak finally looked back to the group."She's wary of you guys but if you don't do anything stupid, she should be fine."

"Us? Do something stupid? Never," Rayara said, moving past the beast but returning the glare it sent her. "Can you...talk to it?"

Hardvak nodded. "Story for later. Consider her another one of my bodyguards." He brought the group further away from Stormrider and towards the makeshift camp he and his group had set up. It consisted of a few tents and some crates of supplies on a small patch of land away from the water and hugging a tree line. There, they found Alduin as well as another elf looking over a sparring sword. "Last but not least, this is Emilina." Hardvak gestured to the woman. "Kara's sister."

The elf looked away from her weapon and up to the group. "Greetings."

Her emotionless tone caught them off guard. "You're tranquil?" Cassandra asked.

Emilina nodded at the Seeker, taking notice of her armor. " Are you here to return me to the Circle?"

"No, I-" She paused when she noticed Emilina's forehead. "Where's your mark?"

"Mark?" Hardvak asked.

"All those who have been made Tranquil have a mark on their head," Solas explained. "The result of some sort of lyrium binding."

Emilina touched the center of her forehead. "I don't."

"I can see that," Rayara replied, walking up and extending her hand. "I'm Rayara, nice to meet you."

"Inquisitor Rayara?" Emilina asked. "I'd avoid my sister. She isn't very fond of you."

"I've noticed,"

While those two got acquainted, Hardvak looked over to Cassandra who still looked puzzled. "Now you see why I asked you about it."

"It does explain your interest," Cassandra admitted, crossing her arms. "But the lack of a mark..."

"Do you think she's lying?"

Cassandra looked at the woman, studying her for any kind of glance or shiver that would give away a hint of emotion. None occurred."No. I believe she is tranquil but the method they must've used would have to be different."

"Can I ask that you find out what it is?" Hardvak requested. "She seems like a nice girl and I'd like to help her if I can. The only problem is that I'm not at all familiar with the subject."

"What do you mean, help her?" Cassandra asked.

"A way to reverse what happened would be a good start," Hardvak replied.

"Reverse the rite of tranquility?"

"Is there an echo I don't know about?" Hardvak asked looking around. "It's a simple question."

"Not really," Cassandra replied. "The rite of tranquility is a closely guarded secret amongst the Templars and Seekers. Only done in the strictest of circumstances or punishments."

"Bullshit."

Cassandra turned her head to the sister of the elf in question with a glare. "What?"

Kara scoffed at the glance. "Oh, they droned on and on about it only being used as a way to stave off possession but that wasn't it. She probably just asked the wrong question and then one day..." Kara snapped her fingers. "... I didn't have my sister anymore."

Cassandra and Hardvak looked back at Emilina who had moved on from Rayara to talking with Solas and Varic. "What circle did she belong to?" Cassandra asked.

"Ghislain," Kara said, shuffling her feet. "We left right around the time the mage war began."

"We?"

"My sister's the only family I have," Kara answered. "Where she goes, I go."

Hardvak could tell Cassandra's mind was racing with questions and decided to halt the conversation."We can discuss this at a later date if you prefer," He said.

Cassandra nodded. "I think that would be for the best,"

With that topic halted, another soon came up as the Inquisitor worked her way over to Hardvak. "So you've been busy?"

"Never a dull moment," Hardvak told her. "I'd like to stay busy, now that you're here."

Rayara smirked. "Well, I'm not here for a vacation. What can we do?" Hardvak pointed to her hand and the Inquisitor laughed. "Right, because what else am I good for?"

While Varic, Cassandra, and Cole stayed at camp to rest and get further acquainted with Hardvak's group, Solas, Rayara and Hardvak set out to find a rift. It turned out that Hardvak had spent very little time studying rifts since his arrival in Thedas. In fact, aside from his brief scuttle with wraiths back in Haven's ruins, he had hardly seen a demon or a rift. A pleasant alternative as far as Rayara was concerned. She'd seen enough of both to last a few lifetimes and she was certain she'd see plenty more before she was done. One such rift sat comfortably outside the Grove and soon Rayara and Hardvak came upon it. Rayara pointed at the floating mass of green energy that hung over the empty field. "That's a rift."

Hardvak raised his eyebrows at the sight remembering how he first got to Thedas and the portal of green he had traveled through. "It's the same color as your hand."

Rayara nodded and held up her now glowing hand. "It's the same type of magic. Only I can close them up."

"And they lead to this place called the fade," Hardvak stated, earning a nod from Solas.

"The home of spirits." The apostate said. "A rift is a hole in the veil that separates the two. Spirits that come through it transform into demons."

Hardvak thought back to his conversation with Solas in Skyhold. "So, we're not going to be fighting ghosts, right?" Hardvak asked.

The word earned an eyebrow raise from both elves. "Ghosts?" Rayara chuckled.

"Spirits, ghosts, aren't they the same thing, correct?" Hardvak asked, remembering many of his own encounters with vengeful spirits back in Skyrim.

Solas nodded his head. "I'm afraid they're quite different. Spirits are residents of the fade and take many forms. Some of knowledge and exploration, others of wisdom and peace, and others still of command and power."

"And most that attempt to force their way into the world are some darker variation," Rayara added. "Lust, envy, pride, wrath, you get the idea."

"Why would they want to come into this world, if they have their own?" Hardvak asked.

Solas chuckled at the statement. "Why did you come to Thedas? A sense of exploration? Adventure? Want to increase power? Spirits are not too different from the rest of us that they would have alien motives for doing things."

Hardvak stared at the Apostate and got the feeling he was hinting at the fact there was more to him then coming from another continent. He wasn't wrong, but at the same time, that type of conversation wasn't suited for battle. "In any case, how do we deal with the rifts?"

Rayara started marching towards it and removed her claymore from her back."We walk up and it spits out demons. We kill them, it spits out some more, and once we kill them, I can close it." She explained.

Hardvak quickly followed, liking the simpleness of the plan as did Solas whose stave began to emit a magical, icy aura.

The first battle would prove to be rather underwhelming. A small wave of fire demons proved to be a poor match against the trio and they were quickly vanquished in a hail of swords and ice. The rift began to sputter and eventually spat out what should've been another wave except in the place of a few fire demons, one large, electrically-charged beast appeared. It laughed at the sight of the three and sent out a rain of lighting towards each of them.

Solas protected himself and Rayara in an energy shield but Hardvak was hit square in the chest, launching the Nord back a few feet. Whatever alarm the two might've had at the sight was dispelled when he leaped back to his feet with a bloodthirsty smile on his face. With a war cry, Hardvak charged the creature and shouted "WULD"

Rayara and Solas were speechless as he smashed into the creature's stomach with enough force to sent out a small shockwave. The creature toppled over and Hardvak began to rip into its electrified skin with his glass blade. The creature's screams were deafening but it didn't stop the Nord's fury in the least. Soon enough, the body of the demon began to dissipate into emerald energy that mimicked that of the rift. When it was fully gone, Rayara aimed her lit-up hand to the rift. It sputtered once again and contorted into various shapes before vanishing from existence as well.

Hardvak groaned as a few lingering waves of electricity still traveled through his body but he was otherwise unharmed. "That was...impressive."

"Sorry about that," Hardvak replied, sheathing his sword. "I got too caught up in the moment."

"Hey, I'm not complaining," Rayara chuckled. "Wish we had you back in the Fallow Mire."

Solas didn't appear to be too amused by the sight. "Do you often lose control?"

Hardvak waved him off. "Relax, the beast just got a lucky shot in. I usually have it under tighter control of myself unless I fight dragons."

"You're certain?"

Hardvak smiled at the apostate. "Well, I'm known to do something similar during sex so if you want further details..."

That sealed the topic as Solas quickly turned away. Earning a laugh from both Rayara and Hardvak. "Hardvak, I think I missed you," Rayara said.

Hardvak sent her a wink and the trio started back on the road to the Grove, eager to start planning for future events.

Night had fallen over the Western Approach by the time Potema had made it to the place she was designated to be. It looked mostly the same as every other empty patch of desert in this land save for one particular rock structure that stood alone in the otherwise flat land. There, standing next to the structure stood her hooded master. "Lord Molag." Potema bowed.

The figure chuckled at the sight. "I trust you saw the showing earlier?"

"Indeed I did," Potema said, straightening back up. "If he's brought Aurie's bow with him, who knows what else he has."

"Plenty of other objects just as valuable, I'm sure." The figure said, seemingly uninterested. "It is of little concern to you."

"What should be my concern, my lord?" Potema asked.

The figure tapped his hand on the structure beside him. "This." The rocky structure began to shake and soon enough the rocks themselves began to crumble away, revealing a familiar-looking metal that even in the darkness, Potema could tell was Dwemer. Yet this one was oddly shaped with no seeming design of purpose to it. "So, the Dwemer were here after all?" Potema asked walking closer to the structure and putting her hand on it. It radiated with magic.

"This is but a piece of the artifact I wish you to begin searching for," Molag replied. "You will continue to serve this Corypheus, but I want your attention on this artifact while he handles things with the Grey Wardens."

"If I may ask," Potema said. "Why the sudden change in plans? I thought I was here to gather a host of undead to force the Orlesian war to a standstill."

A smile flashed under Molag's hood. "I've been made aware of a type of creature that will handle things back in your homeland. One that will prove far more useful against the Dovahkiin's kind."

The ground beneath Potema shook and three creature emerged from the sand around her. They snarled and growled at her yet they appeared humanoid. "What are they?"

"Darkspawn," Molag replied. "I've already sent a small wave of them back to Tamriel but it consumed a fair bit of my power to do so. You must start finding patches to send back as well."

Potema glanced at the three creatures before sending out a wave of fire at each of them. As their ashes were swept away into the sand, Potema scowled, unimpressed. "They don't seem like much."

"Not to you," Molag said. "But to one who wields the power of the dragon tongue, they would deadly."

Potema's eyes widened. "Are you saying, the voice would be ineffective against such creatures?"

Molag nodded. "Indeed. They emit magic that interferes with that of Akatosh. The ones here call it the Taint. It will be a valuable weapon for us in the coming conflict."

"How goes the war back home?" Potema asked.

"The Dominion has ground out the Empire and sent a force to subdue Skyrim," Molag explained. "With their leaders being wielders of the dragon tongue, the Darkspawn should make short work of them and the Dominion can do the rest. By the time you return, all of Tamriel will bow before the Dominion. Who in turn will bow to you."

Potema smiled at his words. "Not just me."

Another smile flashed across Molag's face. "Yes, of course. I remember our agreement, Wolf Queen." He held out his hand to her and a small light appeared before her eyes.

"Mother..." The light whispered. The strange sight of hope appeared in Potema's eyes took and she took few steps forward before Molag closed his hand.

"Continue your work, Potema," Molag ordered. "And I shall honor our agreement."

With that, Molag faded away. Leaving the Wolf Queen alone in the desert with the Dwemer artifact. Her neutral expression gave way to rage as she slammed her hand against the artifact

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

558 58 28
Based off my character from Dragonage inquisition. I'm writing this more out of boredom than anything else, since getting into the game its just been...
2.5K 55 11
(This story is my first Dragon Age Inquisition story but has undergone revision and a few changes) Talila, a mid-twenties to late twenties year old w...
30.5K 1K 127
No one can save the world alone. As Antonia Trevelyan struggles to find the courage to be the hero the Inquisition needs, Cullen fights the darkness...
3.5K 173 24
Valdis must navigate the world after her brothers death leaving her bonded to his four friends. She must fight dark forces, a corrupt Kingdom's way o...