The Landlord

By JadedViolet

Ruth Dunn is a high-class city girl at heart. Her complicated life forces her to move into a new house out in... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Author's Note

Chapter 1

4.4K 105 18
By JadedViolet

Chapter 1

My name is Ruth Dunn. And I was currently out of my comfort zone.

I wanted to drag the clerk out of his comfort zone too. What gas station doesn't have Pall Mall cigarettes? Looking over their limited selection, I couldn't settle on really anything else. I'm sorry, I'm picky, I like my Pall Malls. Sue me.

Shifting my weight, I smiled to the skinny young man across the counter. He looked maybe 17 and innocent enough. I wasn't going to be bitchy; it wasn't this kid's fault. But come on! I've never been to a place that didn't have my cigarettes. Or Little Debbie snacks. Yes, this place didn't have any Little Debbie sweets either – and I thoroughly looked when I first stepped foot in this gas station.

"Are there any other gas stations close by?" I asked.

"Well, there is one on the outskirts of town, closer to the bay."

Was he kidding? "Aren't we on the outskirts?"

"No. We are in the center of town, ma'am."

First of all, I hated when anybody called me ma'am. I was 22, not 50. And second... this boy thinks this gas station is located in the center of town? This was only my second time coming up here, but I know what a 'town' should look like. A town should be more than one road with a gas station and maybe three other businesses. Jesus, how was I supposed to live in a place where people call this a town?

Well... at least it wouldn't take me a long time to get to know the area. I sighed. "Alright, where is this one on the outskirts?"

"Just keep going up the road and take a left at the second light I believe."

They have traffic lights here? How advanced.

Nodding, I pulled out my wallet. "Thank you." Giving the boy 20 dollars for gas, I walked out to the pump I parked my gray Camry next to. I was still getting used to how small it was compared to the size of my last vehicle. Regardless of the size though, I managed cramming most of the boxes in the back seat and trunk. That was today's goal: to start unpacking.

Back on the road, I prayed for a miracle. A miracle shouldn't be finding Pall Mall cigarettes or an oatmeal cream pie, but today, it would be a miracle. Turning left at the second light, I drove past ditches and trees. The roads were hilly. In the distance in the trees, fog loomed. Sure, it was pretty, but all I could think was... what the hell was there to do around here? Egg the houses that started popping up along the countryside?

Soon, I reached an intersection. The gas station was on the corner and I pulled into the parking lot. Across the street was a general store. I might have to check it out if this next gas station turns out to be just as sucky.

Unfortunately, 'sucky' was the vibe I got when I stepped inside. Call me prissy, but was air conditioning so hard to ask for on a summer day? Bunch of animals. I shall remain calm though. I wasn't going to die – well, unless they didn't have my Pall Malls. Then I might die and so might everyone in a 30 foot radius.

Walking towards the front counter, I grabbed the hair band from my wrist and put my thick brown hair up. When I looked across the counter, the cigarettes on display drew my eyes. Yup, I might die.

"Hello," a man's voice came. He rounded the check-out counter and stood before me, smiling. For a moment, he distracted me from my irritation. He was the first attractive person I've seen so far in this backwoods hole. Who knew good looking people lived out here? Not me. "What can I do for you?"

I looked down and said jokingly, "You could start keeping Pall Malls in stock."

I couldn't help but look back up to him. Looking to be in his mid-30s, he had a strong build and large frame. His brown lengthy locks were pushed back from his face, allowing a better display of his sharp brows and blue eyes. He also had an impressive beard that hugged his cheeks, chin, and was scruffy down to his neck. He could use a proper haircut, but I had to remember, I wasn't in the city anymore.

He laughed in a carefree manner at my words and rested his hands against the glass counter. "Yeah, I'm sorry. Not many places around here have them."

"Not many places around here have anything," I scoffed.

"Very true. You just passing through then I'm guessing?"

I would let him slide for his nosiness. Most of his costumers are probably regulars. "No, I'm moving here actually."

He raised his eyebrows. "Oh yeah? Hopefully you will like it here."

"Oh, I'm sure I will love it," I mumbled with a chuckle. "I'm not some prissy city girl, but it's going to be hard to get used to."

His lips curved inward, humored. No doubt disagreeing with my self-assessment based on my appearance. My shirt was brown with sequins, jeans studded, and I'm sure he noticed my make-up. Well, he can kiss my ass for all I care.

Before I could call him out, he nodded in understanding. "Moving is always hard. Do you like the place so far?"

"I actually haven't seen the place in person yet. Based on the pictures though, it looks dumpy."

Yes, I know it's stupid to rent before seeing the place. With my situation though, I had to move fast – and my dad found this place to be the best option. He delivered the documents for me to sign and did all the work. Not that he would be helping me in the future. He wanted me gone more for his sake than mine.

"Wow, that was quite a gamble. I'm assuming you are just renting then?"

Jesus, this guy was nosy. Then again, I don't blame him for being curious. The most exciting shit that probably happens around here is neighborhood gossip or a hunting tournament. "Yeah. One year lease. I'm not 100% sure where the house is from here, but it's on a road that dead ends at the water apparently."

He rested his hands on the glass counter and met my eyes. I'm not self-conscious, but man, his blue eyes made mine feel dull. "I'm pretty sure that is Caddmere Road. All the folks rent on that road. Have you met the landlord yet?"

"No, actually. Probably will soon though."

His lips spread thin in sympathy for me. "I heard he's a real asshole."

"Lovely."

"I doubt he will have any Pall Malls for you either. So can I get anything else for you?" he asked, looking behind him to the rack of cigarettes.

"It's alright, I'll find them somewhere."

He turned back to me. "Well, alright, I'm sure I'll see you around. Good luck with the new 'dumpy' house."

"Thanks."

Wiping a bead of sweat from my forehead (because there was no fucking AC), I left the gas station and got back in my car. I guess I would have to stock up on Pall Malls when I head back to the city. That is, if I can afford it. I wasn't exactly in the best shape with money.

Two minutes after following my GPS, I turned down a gravel road. It was short with only a couple houses (I'd say 7 on each side). Every home looked the same. One story, brown or white siding, with a large bay window next to the front doors. Each home had plenty of trees, offering privacy, or a small picket fence. The houses were close to the road, but the side and back yards were spacy. Sounds cute right? Well, at least half the houses looked vacant of life and needed work done. There was shit growing in some gutters, weeds, and plenty of houses needed paint-jobs.

There was more to take in, but the fucking road didn't allow it! Stupid gravel was kicking up clouds of white dust and I couldn't see shit. "Are you fucking kidding me?" I hit the brakes, slowing down – and it only helped visibility slightly. Didn't think it was a crime to go 50 in the country, but I guess so.

The GPS alerted me I arrived; I came up too fast into the dirt driveway (yes, the driveway was dirt!). Shutting my car off, and after the dust settled, I got out of the car and took in my surroundings. My front yard and side yards had a few massive trees. It shrouded around the white one story home. It was one that needed a paint job, but hey, that's not my problem. Other than looking a little dumpy... I'll be generous and say it looked okay at best compared to some of the other houses.

The driveway was short since the house was close to the road, so I could see down the small street. There was one more house on each side until the road ended. It actually turned into a boat launch with a small dock. Jutting along the bank was a small boardwalk that contoured to the land beyond the pines. So different... so out in the middle of nowhere.

My black purse started to vibrate from a phone call. Digging it out, I answered, aimlessly walking around my car. "Hey dad."

"H—you –ere?"

Freezing in place, I sighed. "Dad, are you there?"

"Listen— I –"

Oh my god, kill me. For a few minutes, I shifted around the driveway, freezing in different places, trying to keep signal. Standing like a loser by the road, I finally could clearly hear and speak to my father. Which was always such a treat.

"Now that you can hear me, are you at the house?" he asked.

"Yeah, I just got here. And thanks to the shit reception, I'm ready to chuck my phone into the road. Which is gravel by the way, dad. I will be living on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere."

"Yes, I know. I was there, I picked out the place, I did all the work for you. Remember?"

"I remember I wasn't moving fast enough to find a place so you stepped in," I said, scowling at the dirt under my feet.

"It doesn't matter if you like it, sweetie. It's not the city, which is the most important thing."

"I know."

My dad and I were a lot alike. We were stern and stubborn, but did our best to not let our tempers get the best of us. Forcing a lighter tone though his voice, he asked, "So, did you go in the house yet? Do you like it?"

"No, but I probably won't like it. It's... boring here."

"That's the point, Ruth. Stay out of trouble. There is a park up the road and you're on the bay, so Garrett won't be bored at least. When are you going to get him?"

I smiled. I know I'm not the most optimistic person, but having Garrett here would help me. Even if it's just for a few days each week. "Tomorrow. So, I need to get a lot of work done today."

"Yeah, get his room set up first. It helps that the place comes pre-furnished with beds."

"Listen, I am grateful for everything, but I think that is disgusting, dad. I don't care how broke I am, I don't want to sleep in bed-bugs. And I especially don't want Garrett to."

Though keeping calm, my dad spoke in a stern voice. "For how cheap this place is, for it being on the water, for it to come with furniture (which gets steam-cleaned before you move in, by the way)..., you should be more grateful. You're welcome for helping you get it."

I sighed. "You know I'm thankful, dad—"

"Remember to meet the landlord sometime by the end of today. He needs to know you are moving in, needs to meet you, and go over a few things with you. I'll call you tomorrow. Bye."

The line disconnected.

"Okay dad, for sure, thanks for hanging up on me. Thanks for telling me how I'm supposed to contact the landlord, because I was going to ask you because I really need to know. Oh and yeah, love you too, dad. Have a wonderful rest of your fucking day."

Stuffing the phone angerly back into my bag, I grabbed the key dad gave me. He got it from the landlord after I signed the papers a week back. At least he managed giving me that.

Sure, I knew I was being irrationally angry. After all, dad really was helping me. He loved me, even if he gave up on me.

When I went inside my new home... it was hard not running back to the city. I almost wished the place wasn't furnished. The couch was yellow with a floral print, carpet grey, and all tables plain oak. It was a small place, hardly any wall art, and just felt... bare. No style, nothing matched, no good taste, just plain. It wasn't dumpy like the outside, but it just looked awful. Yes, I'm broke, but my god... would I get in trouble if I replaced all this bland stuff?

After analyzing everything, the first thing I did was turn on the AC. The second thing I did... lasted the rest of the day: I unpacked.

I unloaded Garrett's things first, and set up what would be his room. It was hard, really hard, unpacking Garrett's stuff. His clothes, his toys, and essentials... it was only half of his things.

When I went back out to my car to grab more boxes, there was a woman that walked across the street towards me. She must live in the house across from mine. Which looked exactly the same.

"Hello!" she waved, coming closer.

I took an even breath. I just arrived and I already had a neighbor bothering me? "Hi."

"I don't mean to interrupt you; I see you are getting settled in," she said once she reached me. "I just wanted to extend a welcome to our little town here." She looked to be in her late 50s and had a sweet smile. It was genuine – which made it unfortunately impossible to tell her to get lost. She extended her hand. "My name is Sharon."

Sucking it up, I shook her hand. "Ruth. Nice to meet you."

Her thin eyebrows raised. As if my name was the most exciting thing to happen in her life. "Wow, I didn't think I'd ever meet someone younger than me with that name."

"Yeah, I don't like it that much," I chuckled, popping open my truck. "Thank you for the invite, I'm sure I'll see you around."

"Oh absolutely. Would you like any help unpacking?"

I grabbed the next box from my trunk. "That is super nice of you, but I'm alright. Oh! Hey, can you tell me where I can meet the landlord?"

She swiped a blonde strand out of her face and nodded eagerly. "Yes, Mr. McCormick actually lives right next to me," she said, pointing back across the street to the house next to hers. It was the last house on the street. It looked different from all the others; it was a light blue two story house. It also had woods behind the house and on the side of the house, which led down to the water and dock.

"Cool. I've been meaning to talk to him."

She looked at her wrist-watch. "He's not home, but he should be home soon. Mr. McCormick is a busy man."

Mr. McCormick also had a stalker. Why the hell does she know his schedule? "Great, thank you. You have a good day." Sorry, but I was not neighborly, I minded my own business, and I certainly didn't keep tabs on people.

"You as well, Ruth."

Jesus, I was not going to get along with these people.

Heading back in the house, I unpacked all the boxes marked clothes next. I had way too many clothes, but I loved clothes. They overflowed from my now new closet and dresser. By the time I was done, it was nearly 9:00 – and I felt exhausted. Might as well see if Mr. Landlord is home. Hopefully, he wasn't an asshole like that one guy at the gas station said. We'll see.

For being 9:00 at night, it was still hot as hell outside. The sun was setting over the trees. Crickets started to chirp; the sound was eerie. I walked across the street to the house diagonal to mine. Just during those few moments, I got bit by a mosquito. I groaned under my breath. I was not about that life. Not one bit.

Moving up the squeaky porch, I knocked on the door. By the time the door opened, I got bit. Again. Jesus. I would have to find a netting suit just to walk around here. There were bugs and mosquitos in the city, but not this bad.

However, the mosquitos no longer held my attention. A familiar man stood before me. I didn't expect to see him. All I could think was... what the hell?

His blue eyes found mine and he smiled softly. His smile seemed genuine, but also slightly amused. "Hello, what can I do for you?"

I started at him for a long moment. "You are Mr. McCormick?"

His carefree expression grew more entertained, but in a good-hearted manner. No longer in the blue gas station uniform, he had on a loose grey tee-shirt and shorts. I also noticed he had freckles around his nose and cheeks. Though scruffy, he really was good-looking.

Leaning against the open door, he nodded. "Yes, I'm Blake McCormick. You must be the new tenant?" he asked, holding his free hand out to me.

He was something else. I shook his hand and nodded. "Ruth Dunn."

"How do you like the dump so far?" he smirked.

My cheeks ran red. I forgot I said that earlier. "It's... it's not that—" I slapped my arm thanks to another mosquito. "It's not bad, just... different. Could use a little updating."

Letting out a hum of amusement, he swung open the door. "Come in. You're probably not use to the bugs."

I narrowed my eyes at that subtle insult and stepped inside. He shut the door, but it still felt open. I realized he didn't have AC on. Yes. This guy was really something else. Maybe attractive, or maybe just as bad as a mosquito.

__________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________

Alright, here we go guys! That was chapter one of my new story. It's going to be a full length book and updated frequently. Every week is my goal. Which I should easily achieve because this story is SO MUCH easier to write, the chapters are shorter, and I'm not stressed over it. I'm trying to just go with it and it seems to be going well so far.

Anyway, please let me know what you think so far! I have so many awesome complex story ideas, but I just wanted a break and to do something easier and lighter for a change, yet still make it a good story I can be proud of. So I hope you guys will enjoy it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.6K 1.7K 48
"You've changed", he said gazing at me curiously. "You haven't", I replied. "Is that a bad thing?", he smirked. "Yes", I said confidently before walk...
1.2K 119 29
Don't read if you're below the age of 18. A once happily married couple turns into two mere individuals living under one roof. Chanelle D'light wants...
622 115 38
Hannah is a teenage girl who lived in South Carolina with her two best friends. One day, Hannah is forced to move to Idaho with her dad. While living...
57 1 1
Ruth is a single independent woman desperate to have a baby, her lover and househelp, Phillip, is willing to make that dream come true only as far as...