Dark Queen: The Cybelline Pro...

Par dramatictealeaves

A 21st century covert ops agent, Cybelline found herself transported to a medieval world of magic and war wit... Plus

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101 - The End (Double Update Read 100 First)
Epilogue - Jinon & Kyria - Part 1 of 3
Epilogue - Jinon & Kyria - Part 2 of 3
Epilogue - Jinon & Kyria - Part 3 of 3
Epilogue - Miri - Part 1 of 3
Epilogue - Miri - Part 2 of 3
Epilogue - Miri - Part 3 of 3
Miri's Poem - The Saddest Goodbye

Chapter 69

9.3K 678 150
Par dramatictealeaves

In the dead of night, two riders thundered down the road. Norian looked behind him in fear of the army while Anera rode with Jasreth in tow.

They stopped to rest after three hours of hard riding. Jasreth looked at Anera as she jumped off the horse, "Why do you still follow him? You know he would turn on you if you had no value."

Anera frowned but did not answer. Jasreth continued, "He is the cruelest of my brothers."

"He loves me." Anera hissed, desperately holding onto the last shred of denial.

"Love is a weakness that royalty can not afford" Jasreth said softly, "We were born to a life destined for blood and power. How could mere love compare to that?"

Anera dragged him off the horse and onto the grass, "If you open your mouth one more time I'll cut out your tongue." She walked away quickly, as if demons were at her heels.

"Did anyone follow?" Norian huffed, he drained his skein of water and snatched Anera's.

Anera looked at her empty hands, "No." She said quietly. 

She watched as the rumpled lord gulped down the water. He was not the handsome, confident master who smiled at her as if she was the only one in the world who mattered. Fear reeked off of him, there was blood and dirt on all of his clothes.

"So what now? Am I going back to Londaros with you?" Anera asked, "Will you still marry me, my love?"

"What?" Norian looked at her incredulously and grinned with savage cruelty, "Are you mad? You have nothing. You're a war criminal. You're lucky I don't send your head back on a platter to that Bitch Queen of Spies. From now on you'll be my servant. If you're good I won't beat you. Too much" With that, he backhanded her viciously across the face. She fell backwards onto the grass. Seeing her suffer lessened the anger he had felt about tonight.

Anera paled and wiped the blood from her lips, "Do I mean so little to you?"

"You mean nothing to me." Norian threw the skein at her, "More water. Now."

Anera grabbed the skein and walked towards the river, passing by Jasreth, she looked down and whispered, "You were right."

Jasreth hissed, "If you don't want a life of servitude, do as I say."

After a while, Anera shuffled back towards Norian, "What are we going to do with him?"

Norian looked at Jasreth with a sneer, "He's just extra weight. All we need is his head. Now is as a good a time as any."

Jasreth looked up at him, and in his soft voice, admonished, "I'm your brother."

"Half-brother. And an obstacle to the throne." Norian corrected him, "Your death will be a consolation prize for a night gone wrong. Don't worry brother, I'll use your death to start a war with the CIty of Thieves."

"Consider this carefully, Norian. Are you sure this is what you want?" Jasreth looked up at him, his eyes full of sadness.

Norian pulled out a knife, "More than anything. You are a weak, useless thing, not fit for the great kingdom. I will rid our father of such a waste of space."

He swung down the knife. But Jasreth suddenly moved. He grabbed Norian's hand and kicked him hard in the stomach. Flipping the knife, he slashed the bastard lord across the belly.

Norian stumbled and clutched his stomach, "you..how?"

Anera came up and stood beside Jasreth.

Norian's eyes narrowed, "What did he promise you?"

"A chance to get away from you."

Norian raised hand and a white flash flew from his fingers.

Jasreth threw up a magical barrier just in time but Anera was not so lucky. The light magic struck her in the chest and knocked her off her feet. She flew out and crashed into a tree with a thud.

Norian looked at the white barrier Jasreth had conjured with disbelief, "You have magic? How dare you hide it for all these years!"

The weak and frail Jasreth he had known all these years seemed to straighten and sharpen in that instant. The years of hiding his magic and might were past the youth. It was as if a sudden metamorphosis occurred. Gone was the weak, indecisive gaze that the king had hated about his eldest son. 

Instead, a cool, confident smile played on the youth's face. Norian had never realized how tall this half-brother was. He had underestimated this enemy, and today, he would pay the ultimate price.

"Brother, I wanted this to be a surprise. One that you can take to your grave." Jasreth said, in his hands a lit with lightning.

Norian screamed in frustration and charged at his brother, drawing up all the magic he had, he drew his sword.

Jasreth's eyes narrowed and he too called forth a great deal of magic, unlike Norian, he did not have the luxury of a weapon. The two youths charged at each other.

BOOM

Miri looked up into the sky and saw a flash of lightning. She rushed toward the light and prayed she was not too late.

Norian and Jasreth were both covered in blood and wounds. Norian clung to his sword, a deep lash on his chest. He looked at Jasreth with great glee,

"Goodbye, my prince."

Anera looked at Norian. No, he could not win. He must not win. She had betrayed her country for him, nearly killed the queen for him. For her sake, for the sake of her country, he must never win. 

Jasreth was barely holding on, but he could not give up. He would rather they both died here than Norian taking the throne.

Norian raised his sword, gathered the last of his magic, and opened his mouth.

At that moment, a rush of dark red entered his vision. He was inundated by the smell of blood and a slender hand placed on his chest. Anera was inches from his face, he could see his shocked expression reflected in her gaze.  

She smiled, "I was wrong to trust you. But you were wrong to underestimate me. In that respect, we were a pair made for hell." He looked down. His sword had gone clear through her chest, but that was not what brought him the most fear.

Her slender hand became a claw and ripped straight through his chest. He could feel her fingers grip his heart, ripping it out. It was the most agonizing death. Pain as he had never experience racked his body. He lost control of his magic and everything exploded, engulfing everything around him in light and flames.

Jasreth and flung himself out of the way, his body rolling into the river as the explosion leveled the trees in the area.

He gasped for breath as he looked up into the starry sky underneath the icy water. He felt his body being pulled downstream, away from his half-brother's grave. He slipped in and out of consciousness.

Who would care that he was to die in this foreign land? His father? No. He had another son. His brother? Perhaps, but Jasreth knew that the primary emotion would have been relief. His mother barely acknowledge her eldest son since his birth. 

He had promised himself that one day he would take Londaros to the greatest heights. He would be a king that history remembered. He would be the leader of all men. But death seemed to beckon him with its crooked fingers. 

Suddenly, a hand  gripped his and pulled his body. At first he thought it was death pulling him towards an icy water grave. But it was warmth in the icy coolness that made him open his eyes.

He had not know how long he had floated, nor where he was. But the first thing he had seen was her.

She was bathed in moonlight, her smile of relief burning away the coldness. She stood on the shore, her clothes and hair wet from jumping into the river. Behind her, a tree full of purple flowers blossomed in riotous joy. A few had fallen down from the branches and landed in her hair, accenting her beauty.

When had anyone smiled at him like that before? There were no hidden meaning in that smile, no danger, no promise of intrigue. Here was someone who was just happy to see him.

He would remember this sight forever. Her standing in moonlight, underneath the blooms, smiling because he was alive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beneath the moonlight, two small children held hands as they ran across the grass. The girl leading the boy, looked back with a satisfied smile, "Wait for me, I'll buy you the prettiest dress for our wedding day." The boy, thin and gaunt, opened his mouth to correct her, only to close it with a smile. They ran in the midst of the gardens and its dancing fireflies, their laughter ringing like bells. 

The scene changed. 

Cybelline the adult was on a high rise in the middle of a concrete jungle. Her partner and best friend was in front of her, they had just completed an assasination of a dictator. 

"Trust me Cy. We're going to get out of here." A confident voice sounded in front of her. She looked at the face that she had known since her training began, "Luke...when this is over I'm retiring." 

"When you do, can you take Ted out of a date? He's too shy to ask you." Was his blithe reply. They faced some of the deadliest soldiers in the world and his focus had been to set her up on a date. She grinned, "Only if I get to set you up with someone."

"You know, if you weren't so unapproachable, you would get so many dates." He continued doggedly as they ran. 

"If only they didn't piss themselves in fear anytime I held a gun in my hands..." She shrugged, "Just because they can't find their balls,  doesn't mean I'm going to lower my standards." 

"One day a man is going to find you cute instead of intimidating. I can't wait. I'm going to bring popcorn and watch him try to date the most fearsome woman of our agency. Of our country even." Luke responded, "But you have to open yourself up to the possibility. Stop pushing people away." 

But he would never see that day. He took the bullet meant for her. She screamed his name in the hail of bullets. She never wanted to face that kind of pain again. 

Cybelline woke up, her head pounding, her body covered in sweat. She looked around, she was in a large four poster bed. Everything looked as if it was made in the middle ages. She was still in the city of thieves. 

She sat up and put her head in her shaking heads. She dreamt of that night often. Why was it that so many people in her life had died, but Luke's death haunted her dreams like no other. She used to joke to Luke that they may have been the deadliest assassins, but in reality, they were just broken monsters whose objective in life was death. 

She smiled sadly, "How could I fall for anyone when they all leave me, Luke?" 

On her window sill was a glowing bird, made of silvery moonlight chirped. 

"Lady, the Augur has news of your sister. He requests your presence." The bird disappeared after the message. 

Cybelline stood up and began to dress. This new world had offered her so much, and like a greedy child, she kept taking it and wishing for more. What if one day, she was all alone again? What would she do?

Taking a deep breath, she left the room and her thoughts. 

When she entered the hall, she found Killian and his two lords. His eyes lit up and he stepped forward, but Lord Evan put a hand on his arm, and muttered, "My lord, you'll scare her off if you continue to pursue her like this." 

Killian looked stunned at this and reluctantly, only bowed at Cybelline. 

Cybelline blinked, since when did this man acknowledge anyone? She nodded in greeting. 

A moment later the Augur arrive, he sat down, "My Lord Killian, I have seen that was a great battle between Lord Norian and Prince Jasreth. The Londaros King has heard about the things that have happened in the City of Thieves. They have sent soldiers to find Jasreth." 

He looked at Cybelline, "Miri is with Prince Jasreth right now. I can not tell if the soldiers are Lord Norian's or Prince Jasreth's, I can not tell the outcome of the battle. I am worried for Miri's wellbeing." 

"I'll leave right now." Cybelline said, "Give me a good horse." 

The Augur looked at Lord Killian, "Perhaps, my lord, you would like to go as well?" 

Lord Killian nodded approvingly. His eyes seemed to say, if you continue to help me get my girl, I will make sure help protect the City of Thieves for the next fifty years. 

"There is no need, I can take care of myself." Cybellline interjected. 

The Augur smiled made a gesture at Killian, A hundred years. 

Killian nodded imperceptibly and the Augur continued, "Your men are skilled at tracking, I insist you go with the lady."  He looked at Cybelline, "There is still a war going on, you could do with the help." 

Lord Killian bowed to Cybelline, "Lady, may I accompany you?" He looked at her and Cybelline was reminded of puppies and kittens when they begged for a treat. A face flashed in her memories, and she found herself suddenly unable to say no. 

She sighed, "If you wish." 

------------------

Cybelline  was dressed in brown riding clothes, her flame red hair tied by a thin strip of leather, a sword at her side. She patted the horse that the Augur had prepared approvingly. Lord Killian and his men were also here, waiting for the gate to open so they could ride out. 

"Are you sure we can't go with ye?" Ithos asked, concerned. He had followed out to say goodbye. 

Cybelline smiled, "You and Myrai need the rest. Besides, I'm not going alone." 

Ithos continued to mutter darkly, "If the Augur hadn't just asked me and Myrai to stay behind, I would be going too." 

Cybelline shook her head, "Ryion needs you. Besides the Augur doesn't foresee any danger." 

"He's been wrong before." Ithos worried. 

Then Ithos glared at Killian, who already sat on his horse, "Yer a slippery lord,  if she comes to harm in any way..." 

"I would gladly suffer whatever punishment you dole out. Even if you ask for my head." Killian said quietly. He decided that he would help the Augur protect the city for 150 years for keeping Ithos behind. 

Ithos humphed, "I'll be watching ye through the Augur's scrying spells. Ye can't fool me." 

He turned to Cybelline, the grumpiness disappearing in an instant, "Take care of ye self out there. And if that Lord Killian tries anything, ye stab him. Me and Myrai will take care of his men." Cybelline smiled. 

Killian stared at that smile for a moment until Lord Evan elbowed him. 

Cybelline mounted her horse in a smooth motion, "Don't worry Ithos. We'll be back soon." With that, they rode off into the night. 

-----------

Author's Note: 

Thank you so much for the patience and support! I finally updated! I love your comments, they make my day infinitely better. This month flew by and I can't even begin to describe how busy it's been, but I love writing this story and my mind often wanders back to the characters. I hope I didn't make anyone wait too long, I do feel really bad about that. Please let me know how I'm doing, and as always, I really appreciate all of you!

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

23 1 5
She's always trusted the land she's come from, she has (mostly) done as she's told to appease her father. She hides her imperfections, hides her thou...
4.7K 340 18
** Complete - Unedited** "Sometimes I can not remember my name. Not until the large man I call King tells me it. Even then, I am not sure if it is m...
37 2 54
Esme had one big fear in life: being captured as a thief by the city's guardsmen and being executed for her crimes, and that so heavily weighed on he...
50 3 7
[ I want a love that can take me down ] [ ~ "Midnight Oil" ft. Fleurie prod. Tommee Profitt ] The kingdom of Semalion's queen and the...