Tinman

By Fire-Redhead

Movieverse. Ironhide is assigned to be the Lennox's family guardian. As he slowly adjusts to domestic life he... More

Guardian
Ironhide, Meet Sara
The Ultimate Scarecrow
First Steps
Guilt Trip
No Heart
Repairs and Reunions
Sprinkles
Third Birthday
A Wash
What Have I Done?
Trouble Brewing
Talks in the Shade and Shadows
The Watchers
Thieves in the Night
POWs
Decepticon Dynamics
The Terms
Complete Surrender
First Energon
Protector
Going for Help
Rise Up
Damages
The Slope of Recovery
Impatient to be Home

Hide and Seek

634 26 18
By Fire-Redhead

Continuation of the events of Chapter 5...

Little Annabelle was so excited that Ironhide agreed to play with her she about ran outside in bare feet. Her mother promptly caught her and forced her to don her tiny sneakers before going outside. Shoed and with stuffed kitty in tow, the toddler made her way out the front door, carefully managing the difficult steps of the porch. Walking was the easier part, steps took more concentration. Once she had conquered the tedious steps she glanced around for Ironhide.

"Iwonhide?" she called.

The ground beneath her shuddered, pulling a gasp from her lungs as Ironhide peeked around the house at her, "I'm here."

Smiling from ear to ear, Annabelle toddled around the house until she was standing next to him. He warily glanced way down at her a moment, making sure he knew where she was at all times. Then he directed his sights to the second story window again where Sara was standing.

"We pway now?" Annabelle asked hopefully, craning her neck back as far as it would go.

Sara leaned out the window and called down to her daughter, "Ironhide can play in just a minute sweetie. Just let mommy talk to him. Ok?"

Annabelle stomped impatiently but slowly sat down, absently picking at her toy's fake fur.

The huge black Autobot kept his optics riveted on the toddler sitting mere meters from his foot until Sara cleared her throat at him. He snapped his head at attention.

"Now, Ironhide I want to lay down the ground rules for playing with Annabelle," the woman stated in a commanding tone.

Ironhide narrowed his optics with annoyance. He didn't like to be talked down to...least of all by humans.

His tone sounded mildly threatening, "Proceed," he grated.

Sara pulled her hands away from the window sill, nervous from his tone. Seeming to remember she was dealing with a very proud, twenty-five foot tall robot, she reassessed her approach.

"I'm sorry, Ironhide. I didn't mean to sound preachy." Her eyes softened, peering down at Annie, "It's just...she's my baby girl and I want her to be safe."

Ironhide sighed, controlling his tone as well, "Understood, Sara Lennox. Proceed with your guidelines."

The woman smiled, "Ok. Annabelle is not to leave the farmyard or be anywhere near the road. Though, I don't think she'll go past the front and back yard anyway."

Ironhide nodded. From the moment he was assigned to the Lennox family he had charted out the whole property in his mainframe, down to the last plant.

Now he was plotting out an invisible "Annabelle Barrier" around the Lennox property in his head.

Sara continued, "Make sure she doesn't eat anything out here."

Ironhide quirked his head at that. He wasn't even sure what humans ate anyway. "I'm...not sure I understand."

"Annabelle is at that age where she still puts things in her mouth to figure out what they are." Sara explained. "Sometimes, that can be a bad thing."

At last Ironhide said with understanding, "You are trying to prevent a poisoning."

"Yes."

The big Autobot nodded, "Just a moment Sara Lennox."

For a moment the Autobot's blue optics glowed brightly, his memory recalling the fine details of the property while simultaneously identifying the particular "Annabelle Poison Threats" of the Lennox home.

"I have identified 27 biological toxins and 56 fabricated toxins on the property." Ironhide confirmed, not realizing that probably wasn't the most tactful thing to say to a concerned mother.

All at once Sara's eyes darted around with worry.

"I will ensure she doesn't ingest any of these while with me Sara Lennox."

The woman dipped her head, "You know where each of those things is? From memory?"

The Autobot let a ghost of a smirk play across his mouth, "Yes."

She pointed to her and then to him quickly while saying, "You and I need to go around and find those sometime soon."

"Very well."

The woman smiled and finally said with emphasis, "And...just watch your step, please."

"Always." Ironhide grunted with certainty.

Bumblebee's first scouting on Earth informed them of the significant size difference between their two species All the Autobots had to place that simple rule in the forefront of their mainframe when they landed on Earth.

Primus, it was the first thing he had to do when he crashed on Earth!

"I guess that's all. Have fun. OH! And Ironhide...I don't want her in the old barn on the edge of the property either. It's old and full of rusty nails and broken glass," the woman pointed.

When the woman retreated back into the recesses of the house, Ironhide sighed and peered down at Annabelle. She was still playing with her toy kitty.

At once she looked up at him, "Pway now?"

"Um, yes. Play now." Ironhide said, trying desperately to hide his distaste for her mispronunciation.

"YAY!" the little girl cheered, leaping to her feet.

To be truthful Ironhide hadn't "played" for eons, unless target practice and weapon modifications were considered play. He didn't have the faintest idea what human young considered "play". It was probably something comparable to torture. He tried to prepare himself.

Ironhide rolled his metal shoulders, "So, Annabelle. What do you play?"

The child thought a moment then stood on her toes beaming, "Tea party!"

A horrible cold spark chilled Ironhide when his internet search for 'tea party' was finished.

Ironhide panicked in his mind, "Oh, sweet merciful Primus...NO."

If Ratchet or the others found out, his reputation would be slagged. He would rather have his cannons disassembled than play such a torturous game of human formality and personal degradation.

"Um...isn't there some OTHER game we could play?" Ironhide offered, trying not to sound too disgusted with her choice.

"Tea party!" the little one insisted.

Slag.

Ironhide thought quickly. He thought like a war strategist, trying to counter his opponent's move. Suddenly, he had a great idea. An idea inspired by Captain Lennox when trying to change his child's determined mind.

"But Annabelle, your tea cups are too small." He held out a huge metal hand to emphasize, "I would break them. You don't want me to break your tea cups do you?"

The little girl held her stuffed kitty close, twisting on her hips in thought, "No."

"Perhaps there is another game?" Ironhide asked with great hope in his deep voice.

"K." she said.

A wave of relief swept through his systems.

"Dodged that plasma bomb," he thought.

"Hide n Seek!" the child called out, bouncing up and down.

Ironhide perked his head, calling up the internet for an explanation and rules.

A game consisting of two or more players. One player is chosen to hide themselves while the other tries to find them after a designated countdown—simple and not too degrading.

"Hide and Seek," he confirmed.

The little girl giggled with joy and backed off, "I hide! You count!"

"I will start the vocal countdown at thirty." Ironhide said. "One..."

All at once Annabelle stomped her foot and pointed at him, "No peek!"

Grumbling, Ironhide darkened his optics but kept his sensors locked onto her sound. He resumed the countdown.

"One...Two...Three..." he rumbled.

Annabelle's giggle rang out, followed by her fleeing footsteps.

Optics darkened but not unaware, Ironhide plotted the sound waves of the child so he'd know exactly where she was hiding. Game or not, he was sworn to watch her at all times. However, he would make it sporting for her and pretend that he didn't know where she was.

He kept counting in perfect, clock-work sync, "Twenty-eight...Twenty-nine...Thirty."

His blue optics flashed on again. According to his sensors she was in the back yard, hiding behind the biggest tree. Very slowly, he began his "search". His bulky form traipsed around the perimeter of the house once until finally he laid optics on the tree. A ghost of a smile formed on his metal mouth as he stalked very carefully up to the tree where his sensors told him Annabelle was hiding. A quiet giggle confirmed it. Parting the branches, Ironhide bent the tree back, revealing the toddler who squealed in mock fright at her towering adversary.

Ironhide tried not to betray his rarely given smile, saying, "You are located. Is that it?"

"Again! Again!" Annabelle cried out, making a dash toward the other side of the house. "No peek!" she shouted behind her.

Ironhide released the tree, confused. He thought that was the extent of the game. But she wanted more? What was the true duration of this game?

Sighing, he began the countdown again. This time he detected her hiding behind the fence in the front yard. When he finished counting, the Autobot walked around the opposite way Annabelle had gone and gradually made his way toward the fence, mindful not to tread too heavily on the lawn. The fence was in sight and triumphantly he peeked over it, only to find...no Annabelle. His brow plates shadowed his optics with confusion as he thoroughly investigated the length of the fence. No little Annabelle.

His spark jolted for a moment. Had his sensors malfunctioned? She should've been there. Very quickly he knelt down in the driveway, gripped the fence, and pulled it straight out of the ground, double-checking his search.

"HEY, Ironhide! What the Hell are you doing to the fence?" Will shouted from the porch.

Caught, Ironhide froze, the fence in hand. The Captain seemed upset.

"I am...checking the structural integrity of your fence. It was not properly secured." he lied through his exhaust.

Gently, he returned the fence to its proper state, tapping each ground post with his finger to drive it in securely.

"There. It is fine now," he assured, standing up.

The man raised a skeptical brow, "O-K. Where's Annabelle?"

Ironhide cursed lightly in his mainframe, but decided to answer truthfully this time. "We are playing a game...Hide and Seek. She is winning."

"YOU? Playing?"

The big Autobot narrowed his optics, shadowing the porch imposingly, "Do YOU have a problem with it?"

Grinning, the Captain waved his hand, "No. No. Want any help? She's already very good at that game."

"I am perfectly capable of finding a human toddler." Ironhide grumbled defensively, sensors frantically trying to relocate the girl.

"Ok. I'm here if you need help." Will offered, reentering the house.

Ironhide griped some more and resumed his search, looking under a wheel barrow and a couple large pots, none of which hid Annabelle.

He felt his spark vibrate harshly. WHY couldn't he find her? What if she was out of the perimeter? What if she was hurt? Sara and Will would never forgive him.

The black bot called as gently as he possibly could so the Lennox's couldn't hear him, "Annabelle? Where are you?"

Quickly, he moved around to the backside of the house near the tree line. Perhaps she doubled back on him? His sensors swept the area but nothing came up. His spark vibrated even more. Each of his cannons spun nervously.

Then, he heard a giggle. Instantly, he whirled around to face the house and in the second story window his optics caught a blip of Annabelle, ducking down so he wouldn't see her.

"Why you little..." he started, cannon beeping.

He closed his optics, reprimanded himself and powered down his weapons. Stupid oversight never scanning the house...he thought for sure she'd hide exclusively outside. Irritated, yet relieved, Ironhide approached the window. This time he didn't measure his steps...he wanted her to feel his irritation. By the time he reached the house the windows were shaking. Curious, Annabelle's bright blue eyes and little fingers appeared over the inside window sill.

Ironhide set his metal jaw, optics narrow. "What...are you doing in there?"

"Hidin'" Annabelle smiled anyway, cheeks dented with dimples.

The hulking Autobot wanted to severely reprimand her, tell her she scared two centuries out of his spark and he never wanted to play this again.

Instead, he massaged the bridge of his nose and sighed in a deep mechanical rumble, "Yes, you are... very good at it."

"AGAIN!" she yelled with a laugh.

Oh Primus...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.4K 1.8K 62
"Space Girl, show me the stars You know the galaxies of my heart." ~ space girl by frances forever | Onyxia, the daughter of Optimus...
50.1K 1K 17
Teamed up with Autobots and leading a team called ๐˜•๐˜Œ๐˜š๐˜›. Fighting side by side with her boyfriend and her car. Alexia's life couldn't get any more...
147K 3.1K 17
She's a ๐‘พ๐’Š๐’•๐’˜๐’Š๐’„๐’Œ๐’š and his forever. He's a ๐‘ณ๐’†๐’๐’๐’๐’™ and her first love. What happens when she goes back home and finds out about Alien rob...
296K 11.5K 46
Seventeen year old Azalea Lennox has wanted nothing more than for her father to return safely home from war. She finally gets what she wants but also...