Yes, Sir

By Kota_G

She was just trying to make ends meet. What she didn't know was, ends meet was a sexy millionaire with the wi... More

0.1
0.2
0.3
0.4
0.5
0.6
0.7
0.8
0.9
1.0
1.1
1.2
1.3
1.4
1.5
1.6
1.7
1.8
1.9
2.0
2.1
2.2
2.3
2.4
2.5
2.6
2.7
2.8
2.9
3.0
3.1
3.2
3.3
3.4
3.5
3.6
3.7
3.8
3.9
4.0
4.1
4.2
4.3
4.4
4.5
4.6
4.7
4.8
4.9
5.0
5.1
5.2
5.3
5.4
5.5
5.6
5.7
5.8
5.9
6.0
6.1
6.2
6.3
6.4
6.5
6.6
6.7
6.8
6.9
7.0
7.1
7.2
7.3
7.4
7.5
7.6
7.7
7.9
8.0
Eilogue
Bonus Chapter Pt. 1
Bonus Chapter Pt. 2
Bonus Chapter Pt. 3

7.8

39K 1.1K 96
By Kota_G

•- Laine Bennett -•

"With me," he says so calmly, so naturally. I was shaken, and confused. It was unexcpected, and he had no idea what kind of serious proposition he was leaving on the table.

How could I ask my family to pack all their belongings to move just so I could live with my boyfriend? I loved Austin, there was no doubt in my mind that taking this leap would be a step in the right direction for us to develop a clear and long lasting future, but alas, I was unprepared for the words he spoke.

"Lainey," he says worriedly, "Say something, please?"

I clear my throat and shake myself from the twisted thoughts that were becoming a jumbled mess inside my brain.

"Austin," I begin, trying not to waver my voice to show denial to his proposition, "I love you, and I want nothing more than to live with you," I watch as the corners of his lips curl upwards, "But asking my family to move to a location for the benefit of me, is selfish and I can't bring myself to do it."

"Okay," he smiles sadly, "I understand. Maybe now is not the best time, but I want you to know I'm not going to rush it. At least say you'll think about it, yeah? I mean, I want the best for your family and obviously they come first, but truly, and completely, I want to pave the way for our own."

His heartfelt and patient words sent a wave of readiness through my body. Being apart from Austin most days had lead me to irritated despair, and the thought of waking up beside him was more than appealing, however, he was not just asking me to pack my belongings and commit to a living situation, but my entire family was expected to move into the same building. There was a lot of financial planning and estimations that would go into such a large dive forward, but I was sure that I wanted to do this.

"Yes," I smile, leaning into him as we walk along the pavement, "I'll think about it."

•———•

I'd arrived to work earlier than anticipated. I adored seeing Austin in the morning and playing our draw of cards, but I was hoping to run into Mahalia or even Brent for that matter to discuss the events of yesterday.

I was impatiently drinking my third cup of coffee this morning before the familiar tall and well dressed woman steps through the elevator with exhaustion radiating off her stunning face.

"Rich old men like to fuck," she groans, leaning her whole body against my desk tiredly.

I can't help but nod my head I imitate the work I was meant to be doing, "Don't I know it," I laugh, "So, that guy was that good?" I ask, trying to wait until she was energized enough for a response to what I plan to be a quick synopsis of the previous day.

Mahalia's shoulders move upwards slightly before she takes another large swing of her equally gigantic morning beverage.

"He was good for 45, but honestly, I expected some weird hotel room shit with kinky ropes, but I got a lot of dirty talk and an okay size instead."

I try to sound interested in the company's of her older man after Austin's party, but I lacked the true interest. It was not because I did not care, but because I loved Mahalia and she usually went off about other unnecessary details like the color of the rug in his living room or the decorations on his wall.

"Anyways," she begins, turning to face me, "I thought you guys were heading to the site today?"

I nod my head and check the time on my computer. I had my emails directed to my phone of course, but I needed to see Mahalia this morning and Austin had a few things to catch up on before the first day of true construction takes off.

"We are, just a few office things to work on," I assure her, "And I needed to talk to you. Or Brent. Either suffice although both would be ideal, but we don't have time," I announce before grabbing her arm and hiding her to the most vacant part of the office.

I check my surroundings before leaning in to her slowly. She seemed concerned, curious, and of course, in true Mahalia Palmer fashion, she loudly announces, "You aren't fucking pregnant, are you?"

I look to find eyes looking for the source of loud screaming. I pull her quickly before anyone could meet our direction.

"I'm not fucking pregnant, you idiot," I yell in a soft whisper before flicking her forehead, "Austin asked me to move in with him."

Her hand immediately goes to where my index finger met her flesh, and pouts, "First of all, that kind of hurt. Second of all, could I get worker's compensation from this? And third of all, he did what?"

I roll my eyes and deflect the conversation from her timely desire for jokes.

"I told you, Hails. He asked me to move in and I don't know what to say," I groan, making her expression soften and her voice become a melodic soft tone.

"Laine, you two of course deserve happiness with one another and I think moving in with someone is huge step. But of course, there is no life without risk. So if things don't work out, go home, quit your job, start a bank, but I think you know what you want to do."

I sigh and let my head fall back against the wall behind me, "That's not all, Hails," I whisper, "He wants to lease an apartment below his for my family."

Her eyes widen briefly before closing to normal size.

"That's cute. He knows you won't move without them living in the same type of luxury as you and I find that fucking admirable."

I turn and my head faces the wall closely. I press my nose against the white painted wall and groan. He was smart to know that I did not want to live without my family, but I was at the age of adulthood and I was supposed to be experiencing life on my own.

"But I'm old enough to take care of myself, Hails. I shouldn't need my family to live comfortably with someone else I love."

Mahalia shrugs her shoulders, "I know the woman you are, Lainey. You are independent and you never take things that are handed to you without a damn fucking good reason. But independence does not mean you don't need other people. You provide for your family and they deserve to live somewhere that offers the benefits I'm sure Austin's living place does. If you want to live with him, then do it. And if that means your family is coming with you? Pack them up. But if you don't want to, you don't have to. Live with Austin because you want to, not because you have to. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk."

I push off the wall and engulf her in my arms kindly.

Had I never met my group of misfits, Austin and I would have never come close to where we are now. Of course, Hannah Reeves played her part, but I was simply trying to cheer him up and pay him back for the alcohol he supplied the first time we all went out. It seemed to be ages ago as we faced my biological history, the restoration of my family's store, and overall the entirety of New York. I was prepared now more than ever to suggest the idea to my grandmother at the appropriate time.

I thank Mahalia and we peel away from the secret location that was definitely in front of too many people for comfort. However, their eyes were trained elsewhere in a wondering silence.

I peek towards my desk and find Austin starting at a magazine in his hands as his legs rest on my desk. He was whistling a tune that could not be heard from my current location, and I carelessly walk along the wooden floors to meet where he casually resided.

"May I help you?" I ask before lifting his feet and resting them on the floor below.

A smile forms, replacing the small 'o' shape his lips were making as he carried on a tune.

He twists in my chair and flashes the magazine in front of my face. Curiously I reach for the paper, but he retreats his hand just quick enough for me to not capture the booklet in my hands.

"It seems as though our mutual friend Jace Conners has a few things to say about my birthday," he smiles up at me as he dramatically flips the pages. I roll my eyes at his childish antics, but I knew damn well I would act the same way.

I lean against the edge of my desk and await him to read this supposed article aloud. I'm sure everyone in the office would see it sooner or later, and even if they did not, someone would tell them all the details of what is or is not our relationship.

Austin clears his throat and I stand back amusedly. Finally, after his longed preparations, he reads what is supposedly in the papers in his grasp.

"Are you ready?" He asks, looking around to find a few wondering gazes quickly advert at the strangeness happening before their eyes. I nod my head in agreement, and he glances back down to the paper.

"Okay, 'Pictures from Austin Wood's highly spoken of birthday party have been surfacing online since the end of the event. To bore you with the details would be harsh, and unnecessary as we are all here for the same thing; Laine Bennett and Austin Wood."

"Ooh, we have fans," I joke, trying to ease the shock and fear nestled in my body.

Austin raises his finger in a shushing manner before continuing with the words he was speaking, "As I was saying, 'Laine Bennett is Austin Wood's new sexy and smart assistant. Rumors of their relationship sparked after our first interview with the two, and only increased while Austin and his mystery girl hid away in Hawaii after the release of Laine's drama packed past," I clear my throat and Austin glances to me briefly before skipping what I assumed to be the synopsis of my father issues, "The many pictures taken that night show Austin mingling with his close employees and friends alike. Later into the night however, Austin and Lainey were spotted with what we could all only assume to be a near kiss? Following their romantic dance to a One Direction song, Austin Wood thanked Laine individually during his birthday speech. The two are yet to comment on their relationship with one another. We can only hope for the best as these two embark on the love of two ships."

I was processing the words read to me and I could tell that Austin was awaiting a response. My arms fold across my chest and my head lowers.

Part of my hesitancy during the lateness of the night was the fear that I would not be able to go home, if I were to live with Austin, without the fear of someone noticing the residence and commenting about where I was staying.

Being so private about our relationship in terms of public outings was difficult. We could be in a crowd of people and the close proximity would just be friendly, but alone, our entire relationship would be romanticized and clear that something more emotional was going on behind the scenes.

"I could give him a call," I announce, thinking through options that would satisfy Austin, "And you could do damage control if that's what you want to do," I openly admit.

I watch his eyebrow raise briefly before he rolls my chair closer to where I stood. He takes my hand in his but conceals the small action behind the desk.

"Whatever sounds good to you, Lainey. You know I just want you to be happy."

I nod my head and meet his gaze. I could not help but lie through gritted teeth, "I am."

•- Austin Wood -•

I could tell my request last night had taken a toll on her. She was standoffish and was thinking professionally instead of her naturally humerus demeanor.

I run my thumb along the back of her palm before glancing to the clock on her computer. I had a few office documents to finalize before going on site where I would meet the rest of the crew later into the day. Laine was not needed on site, and it was probably an unrealistic and unnecessary thing to have her there, but I wanted her to see the way her childhood would transform into one that she deserved.

From what Brent had briefed me on, the social media intake for the ship itself was in the range we strived for. Working so closely with our clients was what differed us from other construction and architectural designers would do in such a large city. It was not just about the value and profit, but developing a family space for all types of people to gain their fix.

I had high hopes for Evaleen's store, and if all was to go well in the coming months, her grand opening could be sooner than initially expected. I was excited to step back into the active field and watch as my simple drawings came to life.

Carelessly, I lift her hand and press my lips to the back of her palm. Her eyes widen and her head turns every direction only to find a majority of everyone's eyes, strained on the situation.

She moves her arm to her side tensely, and I can't help but be to blame for her uncomfortableness. Nevertheless, I push from her desk and offer her a soft smile.

"We'll leave by noon," I nod in her direction before exiting through the door to my office. All was well.

•———•

• Climax King

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 141 9
Count to three. Do not kill your boss. And do not fall in love with him. That's a good start, especially when you work for New York's most eligible b...
109K 8.5K 46
Enemies-to-lovers * Bickering/bantering Boss/employee * Romantic comedy with a HEA He says I'm a hemorrhoid and a massive dark cloud without a silver...
3.8K 185 21
Elizabeth Taylor is not fabulous, she works hard as a bartender at night, saves money as best she can, and is struggling to help her ageing father pa...
1K 84 68
"This is a deal Miss Wonder Hart you can't back away " It was meant to be a simple deal right, I needed a job and he wanted an assistant what can r...