Overboard (iKON JunHwan Angst)

By love_subin

Synopsis: "It's supposed to be some give and take, I know. But you're only taking and not giving anymore. So... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: The Encounter
Chapter 2: New Life
Chapter 3: Bonfire
Chapter 4: Ready or Not?
Chapter 5: His Wedding Day
Chapter 6: The Visit
Chapter 7: Game of Fate
Chapter 8: Invisible Line
Chapter 9: Boundaries
Chapter 10: Best Friend
Chapter 11: Drunken Night
Chapter 12: Changes
Chapter 13: Stuck in the Moment
Chapter 14: Broken Hearts
Chapter 15: Jeju
Chapter 17: Reunited
Chapter 18: What We've Become
Chapter 19: A Night with You
Chapter 20: Our Little Secret
Chapter 21: Run to You
Chapter 22: Not Again
Chapter 23: You and Me
Chapter 24: Overboard
Chapter 25: Because It's You
Epilogue: I Choose to Love You

Chapter 16: Pure Intentions

701 20 21
By love_subin

Chapter 16: Pure Intentions

"So, why are you here?" Jinhwan asked giving Junhoe an interrogating look while enjoying his ice cream.

They are now having their leisure time at a cozy café nearby. Junhoe crossed his arms on his chest on Jinhwan's question.

"Hyung, I told you I have my ways." He smiled.

"Okay? Then, how did you know I am here? I mean I didn't tell you my exact address." Jinhwan narrowed his eyes and leaned forward giving Junhoe an expectant gaze.

Junhoe secretly enjoyed how Jinhwan's curiosity made him do cute gesture like that.

"Can we just enjoy our ice cream? I only have 3 days so stop with the interrogation. I don't want to spend my entire stay here being questioned." Junhoe said in between his laugh.

"Three days? Only?" Jinhwan confirmed. He felt a little sad hearing that Junhoe will only stay for 3 days because deep inside he wanted it to be a little longer since he really felt lonely in the island alone.

"Yes. Unless you...come with me in Seoul." Junhoe slowly stared at Jinhwan and observed the elder's reaction. He thought maybe the statement wasn't in a good timing to say considering they just met again after almost half a year.

Jinhwan looked at him with a soft expression on his face and slowly smiled.

"You know I would love to. But—" Jinhwan couldn't finish his words when Junhoe interrupted him.

"I know. I'm sorry." Junhoe said with all sincerity in his voice. "So, what's with the flyers?" He asked instead.

Jinhwan started to narrate his intention of opening a swimming gym again for kids but Junhoe was halfheartedly listening to him because he already heard it from him last night they talked on the phone. He just enjoyed watching Jinhwan the entire storytelling. His heart was full of content and bliss.

Flashback

"Noona, can I take a week off?" Junhoe requested his sister while he was in her office.

"Eh, suddenly? What is it this time? Chanwoo said you're really doing great with your new post. I almost didn't believe him." Yejin said in between her laugh while looking back and forth to her laptop and Junhoe.

"That's why I am requesting some time off." Junhoe excused.

"Have you asked dad? He's your real boss." Yejin eyed her brother who just sat on the sofa of her office.

"If I could why would I ask you? Besides, he will be out of the country next week." Junhoe said without looking at her.

"Is Jinhwan back in Seoul?" Yejin guessed and observed how her brother would react. She knew about Jinhwan since Junhoe promised to tell her everything and she knew Junhoe was starting to be attached with his new "friend".

She knew her brother too well to notice how Junhoe changed after Bobby and him broke up and how Junhoe was brought back to his old self, even better, when he met Jinhwan. That was why she was supportive of her brother. She didn't want to repeat what happened before. Junhoe might run away from home again and might not come back. But she was also worried her brother might get hurt again and she didn't know how to handle that.

"W-what? No." Junhoe was a little shocked with his sisters' question.

Yejin smirked discreetly witnessing the flustered look on Junhoe's face.

"Then why do you want to take a week off?" She narrowed her eyebrows thinking that her thought might be actually Junhoe's plan.

"Don't tell me you're go—"

"I'm going to Jeju." Junhoe finished her sentence for her and she was right.

She sat back straight to her chair and crossed her arms on her chest.

"Ya, Junhoe-ya." She called out in her soft voice. She suddenly felt worried for her brother. "Do you really have to go there?" She asked.

"I'm just visiting there, Noona. I'm not staying." Junhoe explained.

"That's what I'm worried about – seeing him would actually make you stay there." Yejin honestly answered him.

"What are you talking about? I won't." Junhoe sounded so defensive. Yejin smiled in secret seeing Junhoe actually blushed at what she said.

She cleared her throat before answering Junhoe again.

"Three days. That's all I can do for you. I don't want other people to tell you on dad when they don't see you around. You know how they were when dad gave you that position. All eyes are on you now, so we have to be careful." Yejin smiled at him and saw the spark on Junhoe's eyes.

"Thank you, Noona!" Junhoe left the room with the biggest smile plastered on his face.

--

"Hyung..." Junhoe suddenly stopped walking and called out Jinhwan because he felt a little nervous and out of place. They were approaching Jinhwan's house and he was about to meet his m

"Why?" Jinhwan looked back at him and asked.

"Your mom might think I'm intruding." Junhoe said. He never met any other moms except Bobby's. So, he didn't know how to act around other people's mother. Jinhwan knew about it so he just laughed at Junhoe's words.

"Ya. My mom doesn't bite. She's nice like your mom. Don't worry." Jinhwan assured him and smiled.

"How do you know my mom's nice? You haven't even met her." Junhoe knitted his brows while answering Jinhwan a little confused.

"I know." Jinhwan teased him and continued to walk towards his house.

Junhoe shook his head at how Jinhwan hadn't change that much. He's still as bully as he is.

They were about to enter the gate when Junhoe they were welcomed by a small dog excitedly waggling his tail and sniffing at their feet. Jinhwan greeted the dog and they heard a voice from an old woman.

"Jinan-ie, are you home?"

Junhoe smiled at the name Jinhwan's mom called him. It suited his friend since the name sounded cute. Jinhwan caught him smiling and received an elbow from him. It only made his heart happy.

"Hng! I'm home and I have someone with me." Jinhwan answered back and they finally went inside the house.

Junhoe took a look around the house and he thought Jinhwan was from a well-off family.

"Who is it?" Jinhwan's mom asked and showed herself from the kitchen.

"Hello, Mrs. Kim." Junhoe greeted with a bow and smiled awkwardly. He discreetly smiled more when he noticed how the woman looked exactly like Jinhwan.

"Oh, hello there." Jinhwan's mom also greeted back.

"This is Junhoe, mom." Jinhwan said while putting the flyers inside the drawer in the living room.

"Oh, so you're Junhoe. I see." The woman said and smiled widely at Junhoe.

Junhoe was a little confused on the woman's words but Jinhwan was quick to clarify it.

"Yes. He's Junhoe on the phone." Jinhwan uttered and Junhoe looked at him while he was playing with Givanchy.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Kim." Junhoe managed to say in his awkward position.

"Nice to meet you too, Junhoe-ya."

Junhoe felt warm with how sweet Jinhwan's mom was calling him "Junhoe-ya." He thought Jinhwan's kindness and sweetness really ran in the family.

"You didn't tell me you have a guest I didn't cook that much." Jinhwan's mom said and motioned her head to look at Jinhwan.

"He didn't tell me as well, so it makes us two." Jinhwan answered and stood straight as he walked towards Junhoe and his mom.

"Don't worry. I'll just cook for us." Jinhwan said.

Junhoe bit his lower lip feeling so awkward between the two people in the house. "You don't need to cook, hyung. It's okay. I can just order some food." He offered.

"Ah, no. It's okay. Take a seat and wait here. It won't take long." Jinhwan softly tapped him on his shoulder and walked straight to the kitchen.

"Feel at home. I'll just finish my work outside. Okay?" Jinhwan's mom smiled at him and he bowed before she left the living room.

He sat as instructed and Givanchy was sniffing him. He petted the little adorable dog and remembered his sister's dog, Bbangdaeng.

It was only a minute passed when he felt uneasy just sitting and waiting there so, he decided to peek on the kitchen and saw Jinhwan in apron. He secretly smiled because it had been a while since he saw Jinhwan cooking.

He cleared his throat to signal Jinhwan that he was there. Jinhwan turned his head and saw him.

"I told you to just wait there." The older said while continuing what he was doing.

"I don't feel right just sitting there. Can I help you?" He asked and walked near Jinhwan.

"Do you want to cut your fingers again?" Jinhwan smirked at him and he felt the urge to fight back.

"Hyung, come on. I'm starting to cook for myself for a while now. You can't belittle me like this." He said with confidence.

"Oh, yeah? Fine. Then prove it." Jinhwan pointed the knife on the table using his jaw.

Junhoe exhaled sharply and smirked at the older before getting the knife.

"Give me the onions." Junhoe confidently said and Jinhwan just laughed at him and handed him the onions.

Jinhwan broke 2 eggs and scrambled it while observing Junhoe cutting the onion. Like his young friend said, he improved with his kitchen skills but not that much. He could still tell Junhoe was trying.

"Urgh." Junhoe groaned and sniffed while blinking his eyes nonstop because of the sting from the onions.

Jinhwan laughed at him and just watched him shed tears because of the onions.

"Look at you, you're already crying. You're too confident for nothing." Jinhwan teased him although he felt bad at Junhoe's state.

The two didn't notice Jinhwan's mom standing from a distance looking fondly at him. Jinhwan's mom smiled while watching her son finally laughing again – light and carefree laugh.

"Ugh, I hate onions." Junhoe said while turning his head away from the chopping board and carefully cutting the last one. His eyes were already tearing up and it really stung.

Jinhwan was still laughing at how funny he looked. Junhoe finished his task and sniffed after. He must have forgotten that it was not a great idea to rub your eyes after cutting the onions, but he did.

"Aaah!" Junhoe groaned and felt more sting in his eyes. "Hyung!" He cried for help.

Jinhwan was laughing while aiding at him and moved Junhoe's hands away from his eyes.

"Ya...you stupid. Why did you do that?" Jinhwan said in between his laugh.

He motioned Junhoe, whose eyes were firmly shut, to the sink and opened the faucet. He washed Junhoe's hand and his. With some water dripping from his fingers, he wiped Junhoe's eyes with them. His thumb brushed against Junhoe's closed eyes and he repeated it until Junhoe calmed down.

Jinhwan's mom sighed in relief seeing how his son looked lively again after months of keeping himself quiet and reserved. She looked at Junhoe and smiled. She felt light and when she took a good watch on the two, she decided to leave and continue her cleaning outside.

Junhoe's chest was secretly pounding with the touches from Jinhwan's fingers on his eyes. He could feel Jinhwan's breath on his face and he felt warm inside.

"Does it still hurt?" Jinhwan asked him which brought him back to their situation.

"A-ah. Y-yes." He stuttered. "Try opening your eyes and see if it still stings." Jinhwan instructed him so he slowly opened his wet eyes dripped in water.

He felt his heart stopped when he saw Jinhwan's face just few inches away from him. Their eyes met and both of them couldn't move nor speak. They stayed staring at each other for almost a minute. Junhoe's eyes travelled down on Jinhwan's pink lips. His breathing became heavy and unconsciously, his head leaned towards Jinhwan slowly. He felt like hypnotized and wanted to claim Jinhwan's lips. He swallowed the lump trapped in his throat when he could feel Jinhwan's breath against his lips.

"You're still clumsy." Jinhwan suddenly spoke and Junhoe felt the towel covered his face. Jinhwan plastered the towel on his face and he slowly reached for it while he pressed his eyes close feeling embarrass with his attempt.

He felt Jinhwan walked away and he couldn't remove the towel from his face for a second because he was afraid Jinhwan might tease him again. But he wiped the towel all over his face before finally facing Jinhwan who was frying the Pajeon already.

"I'm not cutting onions again." He said and acted like he didn't feel awkward at all.

"I'd say, you should not come near the kitchen again." Jinhwan laughed without looking at him.

He breathed deeply and felt relieve that Jinhwan was facing the frying pan and not him. He needed to recover his face.

After the awkward situation, they finished the cooking quietly with Jinhwan doing most of the work as expected. He just stood there waiting for Jinhwan's command on what to do or what to hand him over.

They're now eating their late lunch. Junhoe enjoyed the food especially the Pajeon Jinhwan cooked. He missed his food so much.

"You're enjoying your food so much, Junhoe-ya. Eat a lot, hmm." Jinhwan's mom said while chewing her food too.

"Yes. Thank you. Jinhwan-hyung is really good in cooking." He sincerely said and slightly bowed to Jinhwan's mom.

Mrs. Kim smiled and eyed Jinhwan who was focusing on his food. Those familiar words reminded her of someone.

"So, you're Jinhwan's friend." She casually asked. "Yes." Junhoe answered in his polite tone.

"You're the second friend of Jinhwan he brought home." She added.

Jinhwan discreetly tensed with where his mom's words will go. Junhoe was a little confused too, so he asked.

"Second? Then, who's the first?" Junhoe looked at Jinhwan expecting him to answer with one unfamiliar name to him.

"Hanbin." Jinhwan's mom casually answered instead. Junhoe choked on his food and Jinhwan handed him the glass of water beside him.

Junhoe was still recovering himself from a little shocked in their conversation when Jinhwan spoke.

"Stop it mom. You know I have other friends. My college friends, Jinwoo and Seungyoon." Jinhwan said to his mom while still digging his food.

"Yes, but none of them have I ever met in person, haven't I?" Mrs. Kim smiled at his son, but she was answered with just a head shaking left and right.

Junhoe was secretly enjoying his food much more while listening to the exchange of words from Jinhwan and his mom. He didn't know but he felt something in his stomach which made him curve his lips upward.

"Oh, come on. You aren't in Seoul mom. How would you meet them?" Jinhwan defended.

"I know. I'm just saying. Junhoe is the second one who flew here in Jeju to meet you." Jinhwan's mom continued teasing him.

"Can we stop with the first and second? Please?" Jinhwan said but he wasn't irritated, only embarrassed for his mom's words especially Junhoe was there with them.

"Haha. Fine. So, Junhoe. Where will you stay?" His mom diverted their conversation as requested of him.

"I'll just stay in a hotel, Mrs. Kim. I'll only be staying here for 3 days so..." Junhoe answered with a smile.

"Why don't you just stay here instead?" The old lady smiled back at him.

"Oh, thanks Mrs. Kim. But, I don't want to bother you. I'm fine in staying at hotels. I'm used to it." Junhoe answered while scratching the back of his head.

"It's okay. You can stay in the guest room."

"I-I don't think I can do that. It's really nice of you to offer me to stay here but I'm really—" Junhoe said without any pause which made him sound so flustered with the offer while his head turned from the Jinhwan and his mom. Jinhwan then interrupted him.

"Just stay here. You won't be a bother if you're only staying for 3 days." Jinhwan said and smiled at him while sipping his glass of water to cleanse his palette.

Junhoe looked back and forth to both before exhaling sharply and answered. "T-thank you." He conceded.

After their lunch, they decided to walk Givanchy as Jinhwan's usual afternoon routine. They had time to catch up, but it was mostly Junhoe who talked. He talked about Jisoo and him got closer every time they had the time to bond and his relationship with Bobby was getting better. They can casually talk now and Junhoe's grudge against his best friend was long gone. Jinhwan felt relieve about Junhoe's news and he wished the best friends will be back with their old relationship.

After showing Junhoe the entire neighborhood, it was already sunset when they headed home. When they got home, the dinner was already set, and they enjoyed their meals filled with laughter and stories. Jinhwan suggested for a drink after their dinner which Junhoe and his mom agreed to. They bought some beer in the convenient store and drank in the living room while watching TV.

"Arhhk. I haven't drink in a while. This feels refreshing." Jinhwan's mom said after sipping her can of beer.

"You shouldn't drink too much, mom. I can't carry you to your room. You're too heavy." Jinhwan teased his mom while chugging his own can too.

"Ya! I am not that heavy and Junhoe's here. He will carry me to my room. Right, Junhoe-ya?" Mrs. Kim raised his can of beer to Junhoe and he just bowed and smiled.

"Yes. Of course. I'm obviously stronger than Jinhwan-hyung." Junhoe toasted his can with Jinhwan's mom's can and chugged it.

"Right. I don't know why my only son can't carry his drunk mother." She teased.

"Oh, so you're ganging up on me already?" Jinhwan grinned and eyed both Junhoe and his mom.

The two only laughed at him in response. "Have you forgotten? You're scared of my mom a while ago. You can't even take a step forward when we were outside the house." Jinhwan told him on his mom as revenge.

"Hyung!" Junhoe slightly yelled at him in his whiny tone. Mrs. Kim laughed before answering.

"It only means Junhoe is a nice guy." Junhoe looked at Jinhwan's mom and she winked at him. Junhoe nodded and gladly agreed.

Jinhwan shook his head with how Junhoe and his mom got along so well over a can of beer. After finishing their first can. Jinhwan's mom already decided to head in first saying she couldn't handle another can anymore and was afraid of the hangover the next day. It was also getting so late and the only sound in the house was from the television. Jinhwan and Junhoe weren't even watching. They just left it open to lessen the awkward atmosphere between them.

They already finished 5 cans of beer each and Jinhwan was already a little tipsy as well as Junhoe. But since they both had high tolerance on alcohol, they agreed to buy more for another round. Jinhwan felt like he missed drinking, so Junhoe just let him.

While they were on their way back home from the convenient store, Junhoe suddenly opened up about that night to Jinhwan. It must have been the alcohol.

"Do you remember when Hanbin and I bought drinks back in Busan?" Junhoe's voice was a little drunk already. He was holding the plastic bag full of beer.

"Oh, yeah. Why?" Jinhwan answered casually while his hands were in his pocket.

"He drew me a line and warned me not to cross because he said, "Kim Jinhwan is mine."" Junhoe revealed and he felt Jinhwan's walking pace slowed down.

"He said that?" Jinhwan managed to ask as he reached for a can of beer from Junhoe's hand and opened it. He needed something to cool off his chest.

Junhoe did the same and opened his own can of beer and drank from it. They were already getting close to Jinhwan's house.

"Hmm. That's when I thought, ah...he really loved Jinhwan-hyung so much. Looking at both of you that night made me feel a little jealous." Junhoe confessed while chugging another sip of his beer. He felt Jinhwan glanced at him before drinking from his can too as they continued to approach their home.

"Because Bobby left you?" Jinhwan asked in his tipsy voice.

"No." Jinhwan looked at him again not expecting his disagreement.

They stopped as they were already in front of the house and Jinhwan was about to open the gate when Junhoe continued from his back.

"Because Hanbin was so lucky to have you."

Jinhwan's grip from the gate tightened. His heart pounded. He swallowed the air caught in his throat when he felt Junhoe stepped forward. He flinched when a tall figure from his back was just a few inches away from him and Junhoe's hand touched his while holding the gate. The younger helped his hand open the gate and when it finally opened, Junhoe walked pass through him. The younger looked back at him and spoke.

"Let's go inside, hyung." Junhoe casually said and smiled.

"H-huh? Oh, y-yeah." Jinhwan stuttered and moved inside.

They were quiet going back to the living room and taking their own seats. Jinhwan already calmed down when he finished his can of beer. He was getting more and more tipsy as he finished another can. Junhoe was no different. He enjoyed their silent drink. After a while, Jinhwan spoke. He was already drunk.

"Thank you, Junhoe-ya...for coming to me." He said while looking straight on Junhoe's eyes.

The younger smiled before responding. "I am happy to see you again, hyung."

"Me too."

"Hyung..." Junhoe softly called out and Jinhwan looked at him with expectant eyes. "Hmm?" He responded in his faint voice.

Junhoe knew they were already drunk but he couldn't stop himself. He wanted to say the words he'd been meaning to stay to Jinhwan. He took a deep breath and spoke.

"I like you."

Jinhwan slowly smiled and him. "Me too."

Junhoe chugged his last sip of beer. He knew Jinhwan would answer like that, but he wanted to hear a different one. He borrowed courage to his beer, so he sipped until the last drop before answering.

"I know you like me as your friend, hyung. But I like you more than that. I know, you're still not over—"

"I like you, too Junhoe-ya. More than a friend." Junhoe's eyes widened when he heard Jinhwan's words. He felt all the alcohol in his body faded.

"Y-you l-like me, too?" Junhoe confirmed while stuttering. Jinhwan faced him and looked at him with his tipsy eyes.

"I like you, too. But I still love Hanbin." Jinhwan said in his most sincere voice.

Junhoe expected this but hearing it from Jinhwan actually hurt him. He felt some needles pricking his chest.

"I know and I'm willing to help you get over him." Junhoe said in slight desperation.

Jinhwan exhaled sharply and smiled at him. "You don't have to do it. I told you, broken hearts take time to heal. You don't force it."

"I'm not forcing you to forget him. I am telling you I like you and I will show you how much I do. I am not replacing him in your heart. I know I can't even compare. But, you shouldn't close your heart just because he hurt you." Junhoe said his last sentence with his soft voice.

"I know, that's why I like you, too. But I don't want to be unfair."

"You won't. Just give me one chance. Just one. If it doesn't work, I'll be the one to stop. I'm willing to wait for you, hyung." Junhoe confessed.

Jinhwan felt like crying. He wanted to hug Junhoe for being honest to him and for liking him despite the mess that he was. But he held himself. Now that they confessed to each other, he should be careful of his actions to not lead Junhoe into wrong ideas.

"You don't have to change anything or feel obligated to return everything I do for you. Like how we are right now." Junhoe continued.

Jinhwan smiled at him and Junhoe took it as a positive response. He felt light in his heart that he finally said what he wanted to say to Jinhwan and it went well, he guessed.

"We should rest now." Junhoe initiated which Jinhwan agreed to.

Junhoe insisted to help with the cleaning of the table where all the cans were and let Jinhwan rest because he was already drunk. After tidying up the living room, he assisted the older to his room. They were standing in front of Jinhwan's room quietly waiting for one of them to say goodnight.

After almost a minute, Junhoe spoke.

"Sleep well, hyung." He said and softly petted Jinhwan on the head.

Jinhwan shut his eyes for a second when Junhoe did it and looked at him straight in the eyes.

"I'm scared I might hurt you, Junhoe-ya." He answered.

"Don't worry. You won't." Junhoe said and put his hands in his pocket. "Now don't think about it too much and just have a good sleep." He added.

"Hmm." Jinhwan responded and smiled. Junhoe turned around ready to leave when he felt Jinhwan held on his shirt which made his head to turn back.

"Thank you for being honest, Junhoe-ya." He heard Jinhwan said in his faint voice.

He smiled and nodded as his reply and headed in his room. He plunged himself on the soft bed feeling lighthearted. He closed his eyes and smiled thinking tomorrow will be another good day for him.

--

Jinhwan sluggishly opened his eyes and felt pain slowly crept in. The sun was already high up because of how bright his room was. He saw a glass of water on his side table and he drank it before finally sobering himself. His head was still spinning when he went out of his room, but he heard some noises from the kitchen. He walked towards where the noises were coming from only to see Junhoe and his mom laughing in the kitchen. His brows knitted when he was trying to figure out what the two were doing. But he instantly smiled at what he saw.

"Woah!" Junhoe screamed while flinching afraid of the oil hitting his arms.

"Aigoo. If you're afraid of the oil you will never learn to cook." Jinhwan's mom said in between her laughter. She was so fond teaching Junhoe how to fry the bacon and egg for their breakfast.

"Mrs. Kim, this is horror. It hurts so bad!" Junhoe complained while rubbing his left arm and the other one with the spatula.

"Now flip them over so they won't burn." The old lady instructed and Junhoe did what was told while feeling so scared of the oil. He almost shrunk his shoulder while flipping the bacon from the pan.

"Oh, Junhoe-ya. Come here. Taste it. It's done." She called out.

"Ah, yea." He answered in his polite tone and Jinhwan looking from a distance found the two adorable.

"How is it?" She asked waiting for Junhoe to finish his spoonful of soup. "Hmm! It tastes good." Junhoe praised.

Jinhwan's mom flashed a wide smile at him and closed the bowl of soup.

"Mrs. Kim, should I turn off the stove now? I think it's cooked already." Junhoe asked while focusing on the frying pan.

"Really? Okay. Then we'll set the table, so we can wake up Jinan-ie." She cheerfully said.

Junhoe was all hyped helping with setting the table. Jinhwan's mom was reaching for some bowl for their soup from the top cabinet when he saw her struggling a little. "I'll get it for you." Junhoe said and easily got the bowls.

"Oh, thank you, Junhoe. It's so nice to have a tall guy in the kitchen." She joked which made Junhoe laughed.

Jinhwan saw all the giddy moment of Junhoe and his mom which made his heart warm. He decided to show himself when he saw them almost done with the table setting.

"Ehem. Why am I being left out here?" Jinhwan said in greetings.

"Because you're drunk, hyung." Junhoe teased him and his mom laughed.

"No, I'm not." He defended and took his seat.

"Junhoe cooked hangover soup for your hangover." His mom said which made his brows to wrinkle.

"Junhoe cooked this?" He asked in disbelief. "Hyung, I have my ways." Junhoe confidently said.

"Tasting an already cooked soup doesn't make you the chef Junhoe." Jinhwan stated.

"Mrs. Kim helped me, but I did cook the soup. And this bacon too. Look! My arm is all red because of the oil." Junhoe showed his reddish arm and it was true. Jinhwan could see the traces of oil brunt from his arm and he felt bad but couldn't help but smile.

"Okay, so let's taste your food." Jinhwan said and started to get some bacon as his mom poured the soup in each of their bowls.

"Hmm...not bad." Jinhwan complimented after savoring the soup.

"Thanks, Mrs. Kim." Junhoe raised his left hand and gave Jinhwan's mom a thumbs up which she also returned and laughed.

They finished their breakfast full of jokes and teasing from each other. Junhoe insisted to wash the dishes, but Jinhwan told him to go change because he will have to hand out some flyers again in the city.

"You're unexpectedly getting along with Junhoe so well, mom." Jinhwan finally said when Junhoe went inside the guest room. They were cleaning the table and Jinhwan started to wash the dishes.

"He's sweet and nice, Jinan-ie." His mom praised Junhoe with wide smile plastered on her face like Junhoe was the most adorable human being.

"One cooking session doesn't mean you have to gush over him, mom. You're too much." He joked which made her mom slightly slap his arm.

"Haha. I mean it. He's also funny. I like him already." Jinhwan instantly turned his head to look at his mom in disbelief.

"Wow. That's a first." He uttered and grinned.

"I know. I never felt this way the first time I met Hanbin. He was sweet too, but a little intimidating and serious."

Jinhwan's chest felt heavy with the sudden mention of Hanbin's name.

"Mom, please. Don't compare them. They're two different persons." He softly said which made his mom sighed.

"Fine, fine. I'm sorry. I can't help it. But I'm glad Junhoe is making you smile again and that's all I need to like him." His mom said and rest her head on his shoulder while tapping his back gently. He knew what his mom meant, and he just smiled.

"We're friends mom." He clarified. "and so did Hanbin." She said before leaving him in the kitchen.

He exhaled sharply from his mouth feeling the disbelief on his mom. He just shook his head and smiled while finishing the dishes.

Jinhwan and Junhoe hit the big city with their flyers. Jinhwan decided to hand the flyers on the next few blocks from where he was yesterday. This time, Junhoe voluntarily helped him so they could finish early before they spent the rest of the day together.

Jinhwan fondly watched Junhoe cheerfully handed the flyers to random people passing him by. Yesterday, he felt tired just an hour standing there but with Junhoe, he unexpectedly enjoying it. After two hours and a half, they both decided to call it a day for their flyers and took their simple lunch to a ramen shop. Junhoe wanted to try Jeju's seafood ramen for the fresh seafood they were known for. The younger finished 2 bowls of ramen and Jinhwan even gave some of his leftover when Junhoe asked for it. He knew Junhoe was a foodie, but it was his first time seeing how big of a foodie Junhoe was.

"What do you want to do next?" Jinhwan asked Junhoe after they cleansed their palette with their fresh orange juice.

"Can we do all the activities we can do here in Jeju? I want to try everything." Junhoe answered enthusiastically.

"Everything? Are you sure?" Jinhwan asked in his teasing tone.

"Yeah, of course. Tomorrow will be my last day here so, I want to do everything before I leave. You'll do it for me, right?" Junhoe grinned at him with his expectant eyes.

"Fine. But no extreme ones." The older replied.

"That depends on your definition of extremes. But first, let's rent a car." Junhoe suggested and Jinhwan was quick to agree.

They went straight to a car rental before setting their mini itinerary on the island. Jinhwan suggested for them to go to some famous tourist spots first for starters. They were enjoying the beautiful sceneries and the beach.

"I miss sitting in a car as your passenger." Jinhwan joked while still looking outside the window.

Junhoe glanced at him before focusing back to the wheel.

"You can just say you miss your driver."

They both laughed. Junhoe glanced at Jinhwan from time to time enjoying his own view. He decided to open the car roof and let Jinhwan be lost in the air and the beautiful scenery. The cold breeze brushing through Jinhwan's hair made him look even more attractive to Junhoe seeing Jinhwan's entire face including his forehead. He discreetly smiled from time to time every time his gaze landed on Jinhwan's pretty face. Junhoe felt so light watching Jinhwan stretching his arm up in the air while feeling the cold air on his sensitive skin.

"I'd never had a good ride like this ever since I went back. Thanks." Jinhwan uttered randomly and smiled at Junhoe.

"We haven't even started yet and you're already thanking me." Junhoe said in between his airy laugh.

When they reached the area of Seogwipo, they first agreed to go biking and explore the more coastal area of the island. After half an hour of cycling, they saw an adventure park where tourists did the thrilling hamster ball ride.

"I want to try that!" Junhoe exclaimed when he saw some people rolling round on the ground inside a huge hamster ball.

"W-what? Are you sure?" Jinhwan asked in hesitation. He wasn't a fan of any adventure, so it will be his first.

"Yeah, sure." Junhoe flashed his gummy smile which made Jinhwan agree to his request though he was already tensed.

"U-uhm, Junhoe. We just had our lunch. Remember? What if you puke inside?" Jinhwan struggled with his words while they were going down the trail Junhoe being the first in line.

"Me? Or you? Hyung, relax. It will be fun." Junhoe bravely said.

There was a couple before them, so they needed to wait for 10 minutes before it was their turn. Jinhwan tried to convince to just skip this one, but Junhoe was already jumping around while waiting for theirs.

"Sir, you're good to go now." A staff assisting the riders called to them.

"Hyung, come on!" Junhoe almost sounded like an excited kid.

"Woah, just going in feels so scary." Junhoe said and laughed while the staff was putting their safety helmet on.

"We can still backout, Junhoe-ya." Jinhwan uttered in his almost faint voice. "Hmm-mm. I'm already excited." Junhoe answered.

"Cowards first." Junhoe stated while motioning his hand at Jinhwan to the opening of the huge ball ride.

"What? What did you say?!" Jinhwan's voice was challenging but he still sounded so worried and scared.

"Hahaha! Hop in, hyung." Junhoe held the older on his shoulder and assisted him to go inside.

He followed after Jinhwan settled inside and buckled up. Junhoe's legs were bumping Jinhwan's since his were long and he secretly enjoyed Jinhwan's scared face.

"It will be over in a minute, hyung." Junhoe teased. "Shut up! I'm having a heart attack here." Jinhwan said which made Junhoe burst into laughter.

"Just scream if you're scared. I can't hold your hands, so just scream and I'll scream louder." Junhoe reassured acting so brave while he was also battling his inner fright.

"Ready? In 3... 2... 1..." They heard the muffled sound inside and the next thing they knew, they were both circling around while screaming their lungs out.

They were bouncing and struggling to hold on the straps that were securing their safety. Junhoe could feel the ticklish feeling inside his stomach while trying to keep his eyes open and watch Jinhwan.

"AAAAHHHH!" Jinhwan screamed while opening and closing his eyes from time to time matching the bouncing pace.

"HAHAHA AAAHHH HAHAHA AHHH!" Both of them yelled.

"Please stop this thing!" Junhoe heard Jinhwan screamed which made him laugh even more.

Jinhwan could only cry because the only answer he received was Junhoe's laugh which somehow lessened his fright. Every time he opened his eyes, he could see Junhoe bouncing with his gummy laugh and he thought it was his first time seeing Junhoe that happy.

After almost 5 minutes of spinning, they finally reached their stop.

"Woah!" They both exclaimed and tried to keep their head straight.

"Are you okay?" Junhoe immediately asked still smiling. "Y-yeah. I-I'm fine." Jinhwan answered while stuttering.

Junhoe burst out in laughter again. Jinhwan could feel his head spinning still when the staff opened the giant ball and helped them unbuckle. Junhoe went out first and assisted Jinhwan next. The latter almost fell on the ground when he was finally out because he felt weak on his knees. Fortunately, Junhoe was ready to catch him and did.

"Hyung, are you okay?" Junhoe asked but trying to conceal his laughter.

"Of course!" Jinhwan answered with conviction which only made Junhoe laugh secretly.

"You can let go now." The older softly said when they were walking up on the trail again.

Junhoe looked at his arm wrapped around Jinhwan's shoulders assisting him. He cleared his throat and pulled away his arms awkward.

"That was fun! Right?" Junhoe tried to kill the awkward silence on their way up.

"Yeah. I've grown up here but today is my first time trying that. But maybe, there's no second time." Jinhwan said and laughed.

"I'm happy we both tried it. I think we just had our first 'firsts'." Junhoe carefully said while waiting for Jinhwan's reaction. But the latter only exhales sharply and responded him with a smile.

"So, where do you want to do next?" Jinhwan asked when they finally reached their bikes.

"To do another first with you." Junhoe answered without looking at Jinhwan while unlocking his own bike.

Jinhwan froze at Junhoe's word but he was quick to cover the surprise look on his face before Junhoe's gaze met his. His chest was already pounding, and he tried to calm himself because he could already feel the rushing blood on his cheeks.

They were back at cycling again and enjoy the cold fresh air and the smell of the ocean. Both of them were biking at the same pace paddling side by side when Junhoe spoke.

"Hyung..."

"Hmm?" Jinhwan glanced for a second before focusing on his way again.

"I won't hold back anymore." The younger said softly.

"What?" Jinhwan asked.

"I told you I like you and I don't want to hold myself back anymore. I'll show you how I feel starting now." Junhoe said in his most sincere tone. He wanted his words to reach Jinhwan somehow.

Jinhwan was surprised by the confession again which made him slowed down a little bit. He just looked at Junhoe for a couple of second before paddling again. He just remained silent still processing all the words he heard since last night. He surely liked it too, but one part of his heart was still holding back. He wasn't sure if it was because of Hanbin, or he was just scared he might hurt Junhoe in the end. He knew that the latter already suffered too much from his break up and he was scared if they would really work out.

When Junhoe didn't receive any reply, he continued. "You don't need to answer me now, or anytime soon. Take your time, hyung. I don't mind waiting."

"J-Junhoe-ya...I think we just—" Jinhwan was cut off before he could finish his sentence.

"I'll stop if this doesn't work for you. Let me just try, just once."

Jinhwan felt his hard was slightly pricked. He didn't know why he felt like wanting something but worried that he might just lose it again.

"Hyung, come on. We have so much thing we can still do." Jinhwan's thought was interrupted with Junhoe's calling who's now ahead of him.

He exhaled sharply and brushed all the worries in his mind and paddled faster to catch up with Junhoe.

Right, Jinhwan. Let's try this.

He thought and decided to never think of anything for the rest day but them.

After few minutes of biking, they saw a large green landscape and noticed tourists riding in horses. Jinhwan smiled feeling nostalgic with the view he was seeing.

"Ya." He called out Junhoe and stopped on the side of the road while his gaze still focused on the landscape in a distance. Junhoe turned around a little bit and paddled as he stopped on the Jinhwan's side. He followed Jinhwan's gaze and saw the horses freely running and walking.

"When I was young, my mom used to bring me there and we rode the horses. Later on, I came to like them though it scared me." Jinhwan narrated and flashed a smile on Junhoe.

"Do you want to try it?" He continued.

Junhoe's eyes widened with Jinhwan's suggestion. He looked at Jinhwan and the landscape back and forth with concerned expression.

"U-uhm, I don't like animals." Junhoe admitted. The older smiled

"Are you serious? You have dog, what are you saying. Haha!" Jinhwan said in between his laugh. He could see Junhoe's worried face but found it cute.

"Yeah. I tiny and cute dog...not a horse."

"You made me ride that spinning ball. It's my turn now." Jinhwan teased and started to charge forward with his bike determined to ride a horse again.

"Hyung!" Junhoe called and followed him. "I'll let you do anything but that. Please!" He added trying to catch up with Jinhwan.

"They won't bite you, Junhoe!" Jinhwan yelled still excitingly paddling his bike.

"Yes. But they'll kick me!" Junhoe yelled in response.

"Then dodge!"

Before Junhoe knew it, they were already entering the area for horse-back riding. They settled their bikes first before heading to the entrance.

"Hyung, it's getting late. Can we go back now? Your mom will be worried." Junhoe's bluntly excused slightly poking Jinhwan on the shoulder.

"What? I'm not 10 years old Junhoe-ya, and it's like 4pm." Jinhwan said turning his head to look at the scared Junhoe on his side and laughed at the younger's expression.

"Coward first." Jinhwan teased Junhoe with his own words.

Junhoe couldn't believe Jinhwan just said that to him. He just smirked and shook his head. He wanted to avenge his pride, so he walked inside confidently. Jinhwan just enjoyed Junhoe's little act.

The staff assisted them and told them that Junhoe needed a little practice since it was his first time. He needed to create some bond to the horse first.

"Hyung..." Junhoe softly called out after he wore his safety helmet.

"You're looking good, Koo Junhoe." Jinhwan said in his teasing tone. "Just relax and let the horse do the job. You just have to sit and that's it." He added.

They were then approached by a staff with the horse walking to his side.

"Oh, she's pretty. What's her name?" Jinhwan said and gently caressed the horse.

"She's lacey. She's really nice." The guy said while stroking the back of the horse.

"Ya. Come on. You need to pet her first, so she won't be scared of you." Jinhwan said while he still continued caressing Lacey's neck.

"Hyung, I'm the one scared of her." Junhoe whined. "Ya. Don't be to loud. You'll annoy her." Jinhwan teased and Junhoe groaned in complain.

"Come. Just be gentle. Okay?" Jinhwan walked towards Junhoe and slowly held his right hand.

Junhoe's chest pounded at the contact and how soft Jinhwan's hand was. He couldn't complain anymore. Jinhwan holding his hand made his stomach churned and smile inside.

He felt the horse's soft hair brushing his palm, but his gaze was pieced on Jinhwan's smiling face. He unconsciously smiled and let Jinhwan guide his hand in caressing the horse.

"See, she's so nice." Jinhwan said and suddenly looked at him which made him look away in panic and focus his gaze on the horse.

"Y-yeah." The only word he replied. His eyes travelled on their intertwined hand brushing back and forth against Lacey's back hair. He could feel his heart fluttering.

"Do you think you can mount her now?" Jinhwan asked softly looking at him.

"H-huh? Y-yeah. S-sure." He stuttered and Jinhwan let go of his hand.

"Be careful, Sir. Step on this and put your left foot in the stirrup and swing your right leg around. Try not land on the horse's back too hard. Put your right foot in the stirrup, and take the reins in both hands." The guy instructed. Junhoe carefully listened afraid to make a mistake that could cause his death as he thought of it.

Junhoe succeeded in riding Lacey and he heavily breathed using his mouth to calm his nervous self.

"Good job, Junhoe-ya." Jinhwan complemented the younger to boost his confident.

"H-hyung, c-can you walk with us?" Junhoe requested still feeling nervous on top of the horse. He knew it was ridiculous, but he thought he needed to see Jinhwan around for him to calm his nerves.

"I'll be right here. Don't worry." Jinhwan said and nodded on the guy who handed the strap over to him and stepped back.

Jinhwan guided Lacey while the staff was just behind them.

"How is it? It's nice, right?" He asked. "Not bad." Junhoe tried to sound fine.

"I told you it will be fun."

They were already half way of the practice route and Junhoe started to feel comfortable with Lacey. His body wasn't tensed anymore, and he could feel himself enjoying the ride. He looked down at Jinhwan who was also enjoying while guiding Lacey and caressing her from time to time. He subtly smiled and felt happy that he got to do this with Jinhwan. He never imagined he could ride a horse in Jeju Island – not even in his dreams.

Junhoe took a deep breathe and casually held Jinhwan's hand from petting Lacey. The latter was surprised with what he did and looked up on him. Their eyes met, and his heart pounded. He swallowed the lump of air in his throat before speaking.

"I-I'm scared." He said as an excuse though he was really scared.

Junhoe's heart almost melt when Jinhwan slowly smiled at him and squeezed his hand.

"I'm here." The older replied which made Junhoe smile.

Junhoe felt something flying in his stomach he felt so happy. He's holding Jinhwan's hand and the sunset was about to come. It was already a nice afternoon for them.

After Junhoe finished the simple course, Jinhwan rode his horse this time and they enjoyed strolling on the vast landscape. After one round, Junhoe requested to rest and let Jinhwan had fun.

But turned out he was the one enjoying the rest most while watching Jinhwan running around the land with his horse. The way he bounced in the air and how he guided the horse alone made Junhoe fell even more. This was the first time of him seeing this Jinhwan and he felt happy of the thought that there were a lot more amazing things he might discover about the one he liked.

They were on their way on stop again to get on their bike and go back to where they parked their car.

"Did you enjoy it?" The older asked. "Yes. I enjoyed watching you." Junhoe responded that made Jinhwan laugh.

"I know I'm good at it." He joked.

"Yeah and you looked so carefree and happy. I enjoyed that the most." Junhoe softly said with his casual but serious voice.

Jinhwan suddenly stopped and looked at him. "Really? I looked...happy?"

Junhoe pressed his lips, smiled and nodded as a reply. "I wish I could see it everyday."

Jinhwan felt warm in his heart knowing there's someone who genuinely wished him happy. He also knew he never felt this free and happy for a while and he was thankful Junhoe made him feel that.

After they returned the car, they took a bus going home. They were sitting side by side with Jinhwan sitting near the window. The sunset was present at the sky and Junhoe thought it was beautiful. He felt extra happy.

He noticed Jinhwan's head slowly banging and when he looked at the latter, he was already sleeping. He must be tired with what they done for the day. He breathed in and gently rested Jinhwan's head on his shoulder. He smiled while peeking on Jinhwan's sleeping face. His skin was glowing, and it was mesmerizing for Junhoe. He thought it was the best afternoon he had for a long time and his heart was happy. He saw Jinhwan slightly blinked his eyes and he noticed that the sunset was blinding him, so he raised his hand and blocked the sunlight from Jinhwan's eyes. He didn't mind the pairs of eyes watching him, all he cared was to give Jinhwan a good sleep in the ride.

The next day...

It was Junhoe's last few hours in the island before his flight in the afternoon. They just spent it having his last bond with Jinhwan and his mom. They cooked again, and this time he actually improved. After breakfast, Jinhwan's mom taught him how to play cards. They just relaxed the entire morning and lunch until it was time for him to go back.

He closed his luggage with a heavy heart when he heard a knock from the door. He turned his head and saw Jinhwan already dressed up to send him off in the airport.

"Are you ready?" He asked. "Yep. Let's go." Junhoe answered.

They took a cab on their way to the airport and the first few minutes of the ride was pure silence. Junhoe could feel that Jinhwan was feeling sad too.

They reached the airport earlier than expected, so they waited for the boarding gate to open. They were still silent when Junhoe decided to break the ice.

"When do you plan to go back to Seoul?" He asked.

"I don't know. Maybe when I have a reason to?" Jinhwan casually answered without looking at him.

"Then, if you have a reason to go back, will you?"

"Maybe?" Jinhwan answered and this time he looked at him and shrugged.

They heard the announcement of Junhoe's flight which interrupted their talk.

"That's you." The older said and stood up first. Junhoe felt heavy to finally depart.

"Take care, hyung. Thank you." He stated. "Call me once you arrived, okay?" The older said.

He nodded and smiled. He finally walked towards the boarding area. He turned back for couple of times to wave and say goodbye to Jinhwan. When he was about to go inside, Jinhwan called his name which made him to turn around immediately.

"Hyung..." He softly said when he saw Jinhwan walked from a slow pace to almost running towards him.

He moved a step back when Jinhwan throw his arm around him. He could hear his heart beating so fast.

"Thank you, Junhoe-ya." Jinhwan muffled on his chest. He gently wrapped his arms around the latter and hugged him tightly.

"I'm going to give you a reason to go back to Seoul, hyung. Just wait here." He said and Jinhwan slowly broke the hug.

"What do you mean?" He said while grinning.

"The next time you see me, I'm bringing you back with me...in Seoul." He said while looking straight at Jinhwan's eyes.

"See you." He added.

"Hmm."

He stepped backward not wanting to break his gaze at Jinhwan.

"Go, now." Jinhwan said while giggling at how cute Junhoe looked.

Junhoe took a deep breath and let go of his luggage. Jinhwan looked confused and he saw Junhoe walked towards him and the next thing he knew, he felt Junhoe's lips on his forehead.

"B-bye." Junhoe said in his soft tone and hurriedly went inside the boarding area.

Jinhwan was left there standing...heartbeat racing and lips curved upward. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.8K 750 38
Basically they hate each other. Over certain reasons, they have to accompany each other. Will they survive and let aside their hate towards each othe...
2K 122 19
when the boy under the stars changes his life forever. "i realised, you're the only one i need." ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* :・゚✧*:・゚✧ ©️sunshineseungminnie ! angsty...
22.8K 1K 25
I loved you and you loved me. But you left. I changed and so did you. I still love you but do you? How can you forget me so easily? Do you even kno...
48K 1.7K 22
"You're my most precious person, my strength, my weakness, my smile and my laughter. You're everything I need to survive. And unconditionally, I love...