Carnal

נכתב על ידי MaybeManhattan

COMPLETED - Like every average person, Ella Schulz had no idea there were such things as Lycanthropes and Vam... עוד

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One - Mourning the Missing
Chapter Two - Deal with the Devil
Chapter Three - Aren't We All
Chapter Four - Who Are You?
Chapter Five - Hearts Beat Faster
Chapter Six - Doctor's Note
Chapter Seven - They Come in The Night
Chapter Eight - Breathless Wonder
Chapter Nine - Whiplash
Chapter Ten - Conspiracy Theory
Chapter Eleven - Maids Know Everything
Chapter Twelve - Forbidden Answers
Chapter Thirteen - Demonic Decay
Chapter Fourteen - Delayed Search
Chapter Fifteen - Only One Way to Find Out
Chapter Sixteen - Prove Him Wrong
Chapter Seventeen - Trustworthy
Chapter Eighteen - What Have I Done?
Chapter Nineteen - Nothing Good
Chapter Twenty - Bad Veins and Lipstick Stains
Chapter Twenty-One - Honor The Dead
Chapter Twenty-Two - Living a Lie
Chapter Twenty-Three - Deadly Desire
Chapter Twenty-Four - Consiousness
Chapter Twenty-Five - Breakdown
Chapter Twenty-Six - Fast Car
Chapter Twenty-Seven - All Roads Lead Home
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Meet The Neighbors
Chapter Thirty - Meticulous
Chapter Thirty-One - Exposed
Chapter Thirty-Two - Part of The Plan
Chapter Thirty-Three - Birthright
Chapter Thirty-Four - Stand Corrected
Chapter Thirty-Five - Dead Men Tell No Tales
Chapter Thirty-Six - Early Bird Gets The Worm
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Invasive Inquiries
Chapter Thirty-Eight - The One Behind It
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Cutting it Close
Chapter Forty - Fatal Allegiance
Chapter Forty-One - The Cure
Chapter Forty-Two - If It's Meant to Be...
Chapter Forty-Three - The Taste of Skin and Blood
Chapter Forty-Four - Don't Look Behind You
Chapter Forty-Five - Smothered Embers
Chapter Forty-Six - Crash Landing
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter Twenty-Nine - Hold on Tight

83.2K 4.6K 1.2K
נכתב על ידי MaybeManhattan

Narrative P.O.V.

Moonlight poured into the room through the large windows that lined each wall.

Cain stared at the ceiling, watching the shadows that were cast on the ceiling of the trees outside his window as they danced in the midnight breeze.

He could hear each footstep as the two guards patrolled the floor level beneath him. The sound of their footfalls echoed across the empty room.

Even louder, though, was the sound of her voice in his head.

"Are you sure about this?"

He had been so sure.

So sure that sending her away was the best idea. So sure that she would leave trouble with him. So sure that she would be safe.

The only thing he was sure of now was that he had made a grave, terrible decision in letting her get on that plane.

He had followed them to the airport. He watched her as she went through the security lines. He even watched her get on the plane.

Sanity, reason and logic fought a diligent battle against his heart and desires as he watched her disappear from sight.

Run after her.

No, let her go.

In the end, he took too long to decide.

She was gone.

And his heart left with her on that plane.

Receiving the news of Zak's offer to negotiate infuriated Cain.

Even then, hours later, Cain's hands still trembled with rage.

Cain wasn't sure if Zak truly understood what it was he was trying to bargain with. Ella wasn't silver or gold. She was his mate.

Cain had done terrible things to people for lesser reasons. What did Zak think was going to happen when Cain got his hands on him for kidnapping his mate and holding her for ransom?

Cain had to give him credit, though.

Because of Ella's substantial worth, there was no price Zak could put on her head that would be too much.

There was nothing he wouldn't do to get her back.

When Cain met Ella, he looked into the eyes of his greatest vulnerability and he had never realized it until that moment.

She was an obvious weakness and the thought of her being so made Cain's skin crawl.

As a strategist and leader, weakness and vulnerability were two words that Cain intentionally kept out of his vocabulary.

What was he to do now when the traits he avoided showing and hated seeing in others were the very things required of him to get back what he wanted?

Of course, Zak would certainly not be on the receiving end of a vulnerable moment with Cain.

No, Cain didn't plead with anyone.

Zak would be lucky if Cain didn't snap his neck.

A far more daunting task than bargaining with Zak lay ahead of Cain.

He knew what it was he had to do.

Rolling over, Cain reached for his phone that sat atop his nightstand.

He picked it up and quickly dialed the number before he could change his mind.

It rang for a few moments and just before Cain could pull the phone away from his ear, someone answered.

"Yes?"

"I need to speak with him," he said, his voice gruff.

"Cain?"

"Yes, it's me."

The old man paused for a moment.

"Jesus Christ, is everything alright?" He asked, finally.

"I need to speak with him, Xavier, " Cain reiterated.

The line went silent for a few moments as the call was transferred.

"Cain?"

His father's voice was an echo of concern and surprise.

Cain drew in a deep breath.

"I need your help."

- - -

Ella's P.O.V.

I was going to have to save myself.

I had no way of getting to a phone to dial the number that Daniel had given me for emergencies.

My own phone was missing; along with my coat, shoes and other belongings.

I had no way of knowing how long I was out of it after being put to sleep in D.C., but I did know that I had been awake for nearly three days.

I slept for a few hours during the days and remained awake during the nights.

If Dr. Weber was what I thought he was, then keeping the curtains open and letting in the sunlight was the best way to keep him from coming inside the room.

At night, however, there was nothing I could do but pray he had forgotten me or was otherwise occupied.

The fear that kept me awake through the night was the primary reason I wanted to leave.

I couldn't stand the pounding in my chest that came about whenever I heard a noise from outside in the hallway. It would leave me shaking and nervous for several minutes.

At the end of each day, a girl my age came in and brought me a broth of some kind and started the fire in the fireplace. Each time she opened the door, I would nearly throw up in my mouth at the thought that it could be Dr. Weber.

I hated the feeling of being fearful and vulnerable, like I was a prisoner waiting for an unannounced execution date.

Dr. Weber certainly knew what he was doing.

I was only brought food once a day and the broth was barely satiating, keeping me weak. Without my shoes and coat, I was left with no hope of survival out in the nearly two feet of snow that blanketed the ground.

I was four levels above the ground outside my window so jumping would have been suicidal.

But that didn't stop me from sitting beside the window to contemplate it as I watched the sun begin to set over the town that was bustling off in the distance.

The door to my room opened suddenly and I was so startled I nearly fell out of my chair.

I looked up to see Zak standing in the doorway.

"Close the curtains," he said.

Does that mean...

My thoughts wandered to a dark place as I warily reached up and did as he asked.

He stepped into the now-dark room and closed the door behind him.

"We need to talk," he said.

"Because you can do that now," I retorted, not hiding the resentment in my voice.

I saw his jaw clench.

"Only for the past seven months," he said. "You have to trust that I kept it a secret for a reason."

My eyes widened.

"Trust?" I asked, astonished. "You want me to trust you? You watched me as I was rendered unconscious and abducted and you did nothing about it."

"This was what was best," he said.

I rose from my seat.

"For who exactly?"

"Everyone," he answered. "You don't know what Cain has done and what he is capable of doing."

I narrowed my eyes in on Zak.

"You told me that whenever you were at the castle," I said.

I stopped as a thought hit me.

"How did you find me at the castle, by the way? I never told you where I was."

He drew in a deep breath and crossed his arms.

"I tracked the IP of our video calls," he told me.

"What made you come find me?" I probed further.

"You told me about Cain. I needed to find him and I never wanted you there in the first place, so it seemed like a well enough idea at the time."

I took a deep breath.

"You were going to kill him."

He nodded.

"Did you kill the Indian Beta too?" I asked, wondering aloud.

"No, that was Granddad. I killed the Chinese Beta."

My eyebrows furrowed.

"Another one died?"

He nodded.

"Why?" I asked him. "Why are they being killed?"

"Because the world no longer needs Lycanthropes."

His answer was so simple and straightforward that it took me a moment to catch it's inconsistencies.

"Zak, you're a Lycanthrope," I told him. "Granddad is too."

"Was."

My eyebrows furrowed.

"What?"

"Was a Lycanthrope," he reiterated. "Granddad gave up his wolf when he was turned, just like I did."

I inhaled a sharp breath.

"So you are one of them?" I asked.

He nodded.

"You will be too soon."

I shook my head.

"No, I think I'll stay the way I am."

"That's not an option," he stated firmly.

"Then what are my options? Be turned or be killed?"

He nodded, causing me to scoff.

"Were those the options you and Granddad gave to the men you killed?"

"They didn't get an option," he said. "People as deeply rooted in Lycanthrope society as they were would not give up their ability to shift and have children. For Christs' sake the entire Lycanthrope culture is built on reproduction and shifting."

My eyebrows furrowed.

"Granddad didn't have a problem with turning?"

"Granddad understood that what he was doing was for the good of the majority and he was able to set aside his selfish ambition... well, at least for a while."

My eyebrows furrowed.

"What do you mean?"

I could have sworn I saw a flash of remorse flash in Zak's eyes. But it was gone as quickly as it came.

"He's dead."

I shook my head.

"No, I just saw him in Mumbai," I told him. "He's not dead, he's with Dinesh."

Zak shook his head.

"I killed Granddad last night, Ella. He is dead."

I collapsed into the seat behind me, my mouth gaping in shock.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked him, my voice trembling.

"He was becoming too soft. He had stopped delivering results and started giving excuses."

I shook my head in disbelief.

"He was your own flesh and blood," I reminded him. "He helped raise you."

"And it was those sentiments that got him killed. You'll do best to forget them before they become your demise as well."

"So family means nothing to you anymore?" I asked him.

Zak didn't answer, just looked at me with a hardened expression.

"You're a coward," I told him.

"I am a soldier!"

His bellow echoed around the room and I stood to my feet.

"You didn't act so strong in that castle," I said boldly. "Cain knocked you down with one blow. What makes you think you'll be able to withstand him this time?"

Zak smirked.

"This time I have you. You are the chink in his armor and I plan on exploiting that."

With that being said, he turned and began to walk away.

"We're leaving at first light tomorrow morning," he added. "Sleep tight."

The door slammed and my heart dropped into my stomach as it did so.

I had to improvise and act quickly if I was going to escape before the morning.

I walked over to the fireplace and grabbed the iron poker.

This will do just fine.

I walked over to the window and pulled back the curtain, seeing that the sun was setting behind the mountains that were off in the distance.

We were in a small castle that sat on the edge of a hill from what I could gather looking outside my window.

A few miles away, I could see a small little village. It was probably about three or four miles, but I had run cross country in college. That wasn't so bad, was it?

You never ran in two feet of snow or in temperatures that fell below double digits, a voice reminded me.

I shook my head as I mentally assured myself that I would be fine.

I had my plan, I just needed the courage carry through with it.

I stood behind that door for what felt like hours before it finally opened.

The poor girl walked right into my trap.

I swung the iron poker and hit her in the back of the head as she turned to close the door.

Immediately, her knees buckled under and she fell unconscious. I quickly reached out to catch her so that she wouldn't make any noise.

She dropped the bowl of broth in her hands, spilling it all over herself and me. Luckily, it wasn't too hot.

I regretted not waiting until she had set it down though. I hadn't eaten in a day and that would have been the only thing I could have eaten that would have sustained me for the run to the village.

I laid her down gently on the ground and apologized profusely under my breath.

I was never one to undermine the safety and well-being of others for the sake of my own agenda, but this time it seemed excusable enough.

I began to take off her boots and socks and put them on my own feet.

The socks were wool which meant they would keep me warm but would retain moisture during the trudge through the snow. I would most likely wake up sick the next morning.

If I woke up the next morning at all.

The boots were about a size too big, but that left room for the swelling my feet would likely do after running for such a distance.

I undressed her further, layering her pants and shirt over my own. I took her jacket, despite the fact that it was a light one. I would need all the layers I could get.

Sliding her over to the corner so she wouldn't be seen, I pulled a blanket off the bed and covered her now nearly-naked body with it.

I opened the bedroom door slowly and looked out into the hallway with caution.

There wasn't a soul in sight.

I crept out of the room and closed the door behind me slowly, my heart racing.

As quiet as I could be, I found myself walking down a flight of stairs to what I hoped would lead me to a doorway outside.

That's when I stumbled upon the coat rack.

I found the thickest jacket I could and pulled it off the hook, hoping it would keep me warm.

Just as I was throwing it over one shoulder, I saw my own coat that was hanging beneath the one I grabbed.

I fought the urge to gasp as I reached into the pockets of the jacket and found my phone.

Gripping it my hands, I couldn't believe my luck.

All I needed was a phone.

In that moment, the plan changed. I put the stranger's jacket back where I found it and shoved my phone into my pocket.

I quickly and quietly made my way back to my room, trying not to trip over the oversized boots as I did so.

I heard voices approaching and I hid inside a linen closet until the group of men had gone.

Those few minutes were the longest of my life and I finally felt myself resume breathing after they had left.

This is for the greater good, I keep repeating to myself.

When the coast was clear, I made my way back to my room.

The girl was right where I left her.

After closing the bedroom door, I pulled my phone out of the pocket of the borrowed pants.

Dialing the number I had memorized, I prayed that Daniel had his phone with him.

A few rings later, I heard his voice.

"Hello?"

"Daniel, this is Ella."

"Wait- what?!"

Before he could say anything else, I spoke again.

"I don't have much time, I need you to listen to me."

I began to take off the borrowed shoes and socks.

"I need you to track my phone," I told him.

I put the girls socks back on her bare feet.

"I'm going to keep my phone on me. Zak said he and I were leaving tomorrow morning. You need to find out where we're going and get as far away as possible."

"I know where you're going," Daniel said. "Zak's holding you hostage and Cain is meeting him tomorrow to negotiate the terms of your release."

I stopped suddenly.

"No," I said frantically. "You can't do that, it's a trap."

"It's the only way he's going to let you go," Daniel said.

I shook my head.

"He doesn't have any plans on letting me go," I told him sternly. "He plans on turning me and killing Cain. I'm nothing more than a convincing pawn in this game. Tell Cain that he needs to stay as far away as possible."

The line went silent as I took off the pants and put them back on the poor girl, who I was praying stayed unconscious.

"Daniel," I said, trying to gain his attention. "Promise me that Cain will stay away."

"I can't do that."

"They're killing all of the purebloods," I told him. "They're trying to commit mass genocide. Why would you want to be near that?"

"Who is they?" He asked.

"My brother and Hans Weber."

"Wait, the Hans Weber? The doctor we were looking for?"

"Yes," I said. "Zak and my grandfather are in on his plots to kill off all of the Lycanthropes, that's why I'm not trying to escape. If I run, I'll only lead them back to Cain."

I heard Daniel take a deep breath.

"I didn't call to argue," I told him. "I'm warning you that whatever happens, Cain needs to stay as far away as possible."

"And what happens to you?" He asked. "Without your help in luring in Cain, you have no value to them. They will kill you."

The unconscious girl, now fully redressed, began to stir.

"I have to go," I whispered frantically.

"Ella, wait-"

I hung up the phone and went and stuffed it underneath the mattress.

After placing the iron poker back where it belonged, I walked back over to the girl and began to drag her over to the doorway where I had knocked her out.

I opened the door just slightly to set the scene.

The puddle of spilled broth was still on the floor, making for a perfectly staged accident.

"Help!" I began to shout. "Somebody! Help me!"

I got on my knees, still holding her in my arms.

"Help!"

Soon enough, I heard feet bounding down the hallway.

The door opened and a man whom I had never seen stepped into the room with Zak hot on his heels.

"She slipped on the spilled broth," I explained. "She fell back and hit her head on the door handle."

The explanation, while pitiful, was the best I could come up with.

Neither man, however, interrogated me about it.

"I don't think she's breathing steadily," I warned them, handing her body off to the stranger.

Zak looked at me warily as he turned to follow the man who carried the poor girl out of the room.

Hopefully she won't remember what really happened. Otherwise, she'll hate me for the headache she'll undoubtedly wake up with.

As they were leaving I caught a glimpse of her feet.

In my hurry and distraction, I had put her shoes on the opposite feet.

"Shit," I cursed.

Zak turned around and looked at me.

"Problem?" He asked.

In a panic, I pointed to my shirt which was soaked with broth.

"She spilt it all over me," I complained. "Now I don't have dinner."

He eyed me and my shirt.

"I'll have something else brought up."

With that, he closed the door, leaving me with a racing heart and shaking hands.

I walked back over to the bed and pulled out the phone to see a text message from Daniel.

"Everything will be fine," it read. "Just hold on tight."

Tears came to my eyes as I hid the phone back under the mattress.

God, I hope so.

- - -

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

227K 10.9K 65
Shy bookworm Sophie liked her nice, quiet life - but her world is about to be rocked when her incredibly attractive Alpha, Malcolm drunkenly confesse...
68.5K 2K 43
Iris has had a difficult life, running from her past and living like a nomad. She is not a regular wolf. She curses the Moon goddess for the gifts sh...
16.3K 1K 28
After losing both her family and pack in a massive rouge attack, Elyse spends 3 long months on the run. While being chased, she has no other option b...
45.5K 2K 84
As Lycan's were hunted and killed off a thousand years ago, now humans, and werewolves shall learn what a true Lycan is. All things made a new, now i...