Stars | completed

By StarsAndFireflies_

When Nandini met Manik for the first time, she never wanted him to be 'the one'; or actually, that thought di... More

1. First Meets
2. Crush?
3. The Break Up Saga
4. Friends?
5. Just Friends
6. Starstruck
7. The Flirt's Drug
8. Manik?
9. Falling Hard
10. Confessions
11. Stay
12. Kiss Me
13. Jealous Much?
14. Date Night
15. Magical Moments
16. Jealousy
17. Trapped
18. In Love
19. Cliché
20. Lost & Found
21. To Us
23. Chances
24. The Beginning Of The End
25. A Promise To Keep
26. Consequences
27. Not My Manik
28. My Nandini
29. His Way
30. Cursed
31. A Secret, a Promise, and a Love
32. More Than A Fairytale
33. The Dead End
34. Back To You
35. Babydoll
36. Home Again
37. Selfish or Selfless?
38. Cabir-the-Cupid
39(A). Run
39(B). The Nightmare They Lived
40. Old Days Again
41. Happiness
42. The Sun and The Moon
43. Just A Stranger
44. Whatever It Takes
45. To Love Too Much
46. Shadows Of The Past
47. One For All & All For One
48. Things We Do For Love
49. Star-Crossed Lovers
50. A Wish Upon The Stars
Epilogue
Somebody to Someone

22. Laters, Baby

8.4K 999 514
By StarsAndFireflies_

name:- Laters, Baby
word count: 4500 words
published on:- 22 July, 2019

✿ ✿ ✿

[unedited]

N A N D I N I

A lazy sleep and half a day later, the songs we sung on the way back hadn't died in my head yet. And to study for your terminals after taking a road trip with your best friends, it seemed terrible. All physics equations had started sounding like song lyrics to me.

I closed the text book with a defeated sigh. I had psychology exam tomorrow, so atleast I'm saved for now.

I opened my phone to see so many new messages in Fab 5 & Extensions. Funny how no one changed the name yet.

Navya: yOu'Re ReAlLy GoInG fOr tHe BaChElOrS paRTY?

Cabir: I aM. We'lL leAve in aN hOUr

Navya: DoN't Go. I DoN'T tRuSt YoU BoYs AlOne

Cabir: YoU tRuST ME eNOugH tO mARrY me, not to go for a bachelors?

Navya: IF YOU GO, I'd cAlL MaLe StriPpers.

Cabir: Ok. WE alReadY hAVe FemALe stRipPers. MANIK arRanGeD tHeM.

Navya: MANIK.... plEASe gEt mE mAle StriPPers?

Manik: eXcUse ME. DoN't bLaMe yOuR liEs on Me. I HaVe a *GiRLFrienD in MaKiNG* who mIgHt bReaK uP wiTH mE beC of U GuYS.

Aliya: GuYS. WhyRe wE tAlKINg thIS wAyY?

Mukti: whAT waY?

Aryamman: LiKe ThIs. Half UP, haLF DoWn.

Abhimanyu: ThAt's calLed CapItal LetTers, dumBaSS.

Wow, Abhi was in the group too?

Aryamman: OKaY, MisTer HoT shOt CEO. 😐

Aliya: ABHI WE MISS YOU

Navya: EVEN I MISS YOU

Mukti: COME TO MUMBAI PERMANENTLY.

Abhimanyu: GUYS I AM IN MUMBAI!??

Abhimanyu (2): I HAVE NOT GONE TO MANGALORE YET. I AM GOING AFTER THE BACHELORS, REMEMBER?

Aliya: He's gone :'(

Navya: Abhi's gone away! ;( I feel like crying.

Mukti: I miss him so much :((

Abhimanyu: OMG quit telling people I've gone

Mukti: sometimes, I still feel his presence and see him sitting on my sofa. Hallucinating :(

Abhimanyu: 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Navya: wE hAVe to CHANGE THE GROUP NAME. it's 9 of us. what do I keep?

Navya changed the group name to 'Naked 9'.

Navya: PerFeCT

Mukti: WTF is this group name? 🤣🤣 AND ITS JUST THE EIGHT OF US LMAO

Navya: and I oops-- I WAS CHANGING THE NAME TO *Nasty 9* I swear. Autocorrect. 😂

Navya changed the group name to 'Erecting 8'.

Aliya: NAVYA WHAT THE FUCK?

Navya: omg i was typing elegant 8. Why does my autocorrect hate me so much!! 😶

Cabir: Navya, I am already leaving for my bachelors. You sure I shouldn't reconsider the decision to marry you?

Laughing and unable to read my texts ahead, I put my phone away. Abhi would leave to Mangalore tomorrow in the morning, he said he'd let us have our two week exams, and then come visit us again, when Mukti and him will have their day like me and Manik.

I went out of my room to see a shirtless Manik exercising.

"Hey!" I greeted sitting on the couch. He looked up and smiled, waving back.

"I don't really want to go," He cribbed looking at the clock. "It's already 8:40, Cabir's gonna be here any minute to pick you up," I told him, walking to him.

He looked slouched. I put a hand on his forehead. "Hmm... you've got mild fever," I said. He nodded, wrapping his arms around me and lazily keeping his head on my shoulder, leaving against the wall behind.

I laughed at how short I was to him, he had to bend down to reach my height.

"It'll be fine," I said, "Don't drink too much and catch a higher temperature, we've got exams to write from tomorrow. Come home soon," I ruffled his hair, "And please wear a shirt."

"Why is my nakedness affecting you?" His eyes suddenly shone as he smirked getting up, suddenly flipping us and I was pinned to the wall.

"Nakedness?" I laughed, "You make it sound so vulgar."

"Oh that's called sexy, not vulgar," he said huskily in my ear, almost making me roll my eyes.

I placed my hand on his bare chest, my fingers delicately tracing his abs.

"N--Nandini what.. what are you doing?" He stammered.

"I am feeling your sexiness...." I teased equally as huskily and he took a step back, retracing his hand from my waist as he glared at me and I laughed.

"God, did you look at your face? You looked like you had seen a ghost!" I teased.

"Haha. Whatever," he rolled his eyes, picking an tee from the couch and wearing it.

"Do you know how it felt?" He asked suddenly. "How what felt?" I asked, confused as he rolled his sleeve up.

Suddenly, he pulled me close, repinning me to the wall. "Manik!" I gasped.

He smirked, his hands encircling my waist again. I looked at him pointily when I felt one of his finger lift my tank slightly up from my wait and his finger brush against my skin, slowly rising until his entire hand held me on my skin and not my tee, his fingers slightly brushing my back and sending chills. His fingers were long and warm and against my cold skin, they felt like fire on ice, making me shutter.

"Manik...," I almost gasped, unable to reach his eyes when I felt his face dip into my shoulder and his lips slightly touched my neck, staying there for what felt like eternity, making every cell of my body light on fire but I shivered. I literally had goosebumps on my arms as I took his name in a whisper.

"That's how it felt," he whispered, dazed as his eyes finally met mine, "Your touch against my skin, it made every atom in my body alive again, I felt tingles I have never felt, emotions I never knew existed. It made me feel like I was on fire while sitting on ice. It made me feel alive."

I blushed into the deepest shade of red, unable to comprehend what to say 'cause truth being said, that's the way he makes me feel only when he look into my eyes Mank, he doesn't even need to touch me.

"It's time I go," he said, taking a step back, his eyes still not leaving mine and I nodded, dazed.

"Don't drink too much," I told him.

"I wouldn't." He agreed.

"And don't miss me too much," I teased.

"That's impossible, that's like asking me to breathe without oxygen," he winked. I rolled my eyes, laughing. Always the flirt.

"I'll see you when I see you," He said, coming close again, bending his face absolutely ahead, his lips inches away from mine.

I leaned in, our breaths mingling. I could almost feel his lips on mine when he took a step back, smiling from ear to ear. I glared at him.

"Laters, baby," he called after him as I stared at him smiling like a maniac, walk out of the room as the door closed after he gave me a final glance.

Also, did he just quote Fifty Shades of Grey?

✿ ✿

M A N I K

We entered the bar thirty minutes later, the shitty smile on Cabir's face had returned.

"I have a feeling I am going to get really bored," Abhi sulked beside me. He was a fan of parties, but not of girls stripping them down, just like me.

Aryamman had no problem with anything. He had forever been the playboy and the flirt of the group.

"It's not going to be boring," Cabir smirked, "It's going to be the best life of my life." I rolled my eyes at him as he ordered vodka shots.

I could see a group of girls on the adjacent table staring at us. My eyes met a certain brown ones with black long hair that indefinitely reminded me of Nandini. She winked at me, and I looked away.

The night hadn't even begun and I was already boozed enough. I wanted to be home. This whole idea of partying our heads out one day before exam was insane.

We had more vodka shots than our fingers could count and then hit he dance floor. The music blasted, the lights were dimmed and halogenated, the world was stumbling as we tapped to the music.

Don't think I fit in at this party
Everyone's got so much to say, yeah
I always feel like I'm nobody, mm
Who wants to fit in anyway?

'Cause I don't care when I'm with my baby, yeah
All the bad things disappear
And you're making me feel like maybe I am somebody
I can deal with the bad nights
When I'm with my baby, yeah
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

I wasn't really a fan of loud music or this point in an adult bar when a girl climbs up and strips herself down on Sundays. Aryamman hooted and Cabir shouted along, I smiled at the two. This might really mattered to Cabir. I didn't know why, but I knew it did.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I saw the caller name, 'Mom'. I stepped away, into the balcony of the bar where the music was much lower and lights, much brighter.

It was the first time I was speaking to her after the fiasco that happened at home. And a part of me didn't know how to talk to her. I was ashamed.

After my biological mother died, she took care of me. She was my mom and I had accepted that with my heart and soul. But sometimes, when the old wounds reoccur, you can't help but feel the pain again. And I know I must have disappointed her by speaking to her and Dad that way, and I could do anything but disappoint her. My mom was my world.

I guiltily watched the phone vibrate in my hand and go off.

"Still running away?" I heard a voice behind me, and I turned, startled.

"Are you stalking me or anything?" I chuckled, genuinely surprised and she laughed, throwing her hands in the air.

"No, I mean Inaaya, it's the second time I'm meeting you coincidentally in a bar. Either you're a party holic, or you're stalking me. Choose your waters," I teased. She laughed more, walking to me.

"It could be the other way round, Malhotra. Are you stalking me?" She teased back. "But jokes apart, my friends take me out to new clubs every weekend. Coincidence, you could say?" She said and I nodded.

"Was that Nyonika Aunty?" She asked. I nodded. "...And, you didn't pick up her phone, which is a first," she investigated and I nodded again.

"All okay na, Manik?" She asked, her hand on my arm. I nodded, "Yeah. It's just... complicated. But all okay," I say politely.

"And how's Nandini? Is she here? Did you-- Did you tell her about your feelings?" She asked in one breath. I smiled.

"Nandini's alright, and no she's not here. We're here for Cabir's bachelors, so no girls allowed. And yes... I told her, in the most stupid way ever!" I said sheepishly.

"Cabir's bachelor party? Is he-- Is he getting married? You know, fuck that. What do you mean by the most stupid way ever? Like did you now arrange a good date or a fancy dinner or something?" She enquired.

I gave her a sheepish look, "I sort of blurted it out when I was angry. It wasn't supposed to go like that, but we're having our day after exams. So all's cool I guess."

A waiter arrived us. "Any drinks?" He asked.

"A dirty martini," I said. "I'll have champagne," Inaaya added. The waiter left.

She turned back to me, "That's great. I'm really happy for you, Manik. And Nandini, what an amazing girl. Also, exams. Shit, we've got psychology tomorrow. Kill me!" Inaaya always hated exams. It was like she had an allergy to it, but in her defence, who even does like exams?

"I haven't studied anything much. I feel like I'm going to fail," I accept.

"You don't get to say that," she laughed, amused, "You always say shit like this and end up topping. I hate people like you!" I laughed back. The waiter arrived with our drinks and we took it from him, clearing the check.

There was something with the drinks of this place. So amazing.

"C'mon, it's not my fault that teachers give me grace marks for good looks," I smirk.

"And for being the trustee's son," She pointed. I shrugged, "I just have the charisma over women you know, they go to extents for winning my heart," I boast.

"Right!" She glared, "And what extent did Nandini go to, to win your heart?"

"Uh!" I pretended to think, "She didn't have to, you know. We fought like crazy people when I first met her. Who knew that someday, I'd like her so much. We... just happened. We didn't want this to happen, it just came along and neither of us could push it away, and I'm glad, you know. I wouldn't want us to happen any other way. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"So, it's love then?" She asked, looking right into my eyes. I stared back for a long time, "Maybe."

"Then tell it to her. Everything in this world is momentary, grab the moment and make it yours," she advised.

"I want to, I-- I'm just scared," I accepted, "What if I fuck it up?"

"You wouldn't," she persuaded, "Every confession has two consequences. You either say how you feel and fuck it up, or say nothing and let it fuck you instead. You said she was worth the risk, then why wait?" She asked. I looked at her for long before smiling and giving a small nod.

"I think you're right. On a second thought, I should go now. Grab the moment. Tell her what she means to me," I smiled big. "You should," she persuaded.

"Okay," I said, excited, rubbing my hands together.

"Okay," she repeats, smiling for me. "I should go," She adds, "The night's gone long anyway."

"I'll-- I'll drop you," I say.

"Oh no! I have a room in this hotel. I'm staying here, so thank you so much," she smiled.

"Then let me escort you to your room. That's the least I can do," I offer. She nods shyly, leading the way out.

"And how was life in London after I left?" I asked.

"Oh, it was amazing. You remember Oliver, right? He and Sasha dated. And they're so strong. Till now. God, it seems miraculous," she laughed. My eyes widened.

"The Oliver who used to keep pulling Sasha's hair all the time and she almost filed a police complaint against him for domestic violence? God!" I laughed.

"I know! I know! It happened so quick but it was amazing, to see them being so in love with each other," Inaaya accepted, her eyes shining.

"It must--...." my eyes blackened and everything around me blurred. I took the support of the corridor to stand. What the fuck?

"Manik!" I heard Inaaya call. I turned back my blur vision to see her leaning on the adjacent wall a few feet behind me. "Are you okay?" I asked although my head dizzied.

"My head. I-- I can't see anything. It's spinning. I need to rest my head. My room it's just here. I--...." her voice faded as she opened her room door and fell in, and onto the bed.

My vision blurred again as I sat on the chair and closed my eyes. Just a minute.

✿ ✿

N A N D I N I

Raging door bells made me wake up from sleep with a pounding head. My hands involuntarily teacher for my phone that displayed the time: 3:24 A.M.

I had fallen asleep reading a book in my bed. Tying my hair in a bun, I got up and walked out. Who could it be at this hour? I had given Manik the home keys because I knew he'd be late.

I opened the door sleepily, but before I could even pay attention to who it was, I was pushed behind with a force, a pair of strong hands gripping my wrists on both my sides as my back hit the wall. I breathed heavily, trying to push the attacker away but the darkness made it impossible to see.

I was struggling my way out when I felt a pair of hungry lips on mine. My eyes widened as I struggled more but my heart calmed instantly when I felt the familiar touch. Manik Malhotra.

He held my wrists behind my back, shutting the door with his foot, pinning my more as my lean figure fit into his broad one, and he kissed me hungrily, dominating the kiss until I gave in, and let him have his way.

I had kissed Manik before, twice. But never with such passion or intensity. It was like he started a wildfire in me by doing this, and it was over just as it had started, leaving no time for me to even think what was happening, I was grasping for air as he hands left my wrists, finally allowing me to touch him. He rested his forehead on mine, placing his hands on my waist, our bodies sticking together as we both panted for oxygen.

I couldn't help smiling and although I couldn't see in the darkness, I was sure he was smiling too.

"Manik?" I called.

"Hmm?" He answered.

"You're late," I whispered, pointing out.

"And you're mine," He whispered back.

"What?" I asked, taken aback as I moved behind and switched on the light to have a good look at him. He shut his eyes too tight because of the sudden light and then opened them slowly like a baby.

"What have you done to me?" He whispered, dazed, "The world could want me. All girls... all boys, and I'd still just want you," he poked me and it stroke me.

"Manik, are you drunk?" I asked softly.

"No!" He pouted like a baby, "I had less drinks. One, two, three, five. Only five shots. And then I had one more drink, only half. And then my head spinned and I sleepy. But I wanted to come to you. So when I woke up, I asked driver to take me home. I came to you," He smiled sheepishly and I couldn't help but smile as I walked to him.

"Who gave you the drink?" I asked slowly.

"Waiter," He said innocently.

"And whom did you have it with?" I asked again.

"I don't remember," he said after a while. I nodded, "Okay. Let's get you to bed now. We have to get up tomorrow. Exam remember?" I said, moving away but he didn't follow me.

He sat on the couch with a crying expression. "You don't care about me! Nobody cares about me. You just like your exams, and your Abhimanyu, and your everyone. Not me!" He sobbed. No tears, just drama.

"Manik..." I breathed walking to him as I sat near him. This was not going to be an easy night. Goodbye, sleep. "I care about you, more than anyone else in this world," I whispered. He looked at me with hope and I nodded again.

He slowly kept his head on my lap and I ruffled his hair, giggling.

"You know Nandini, I'm so scared," he whispered. "Why?" I retaliated.

"I'm scared I'll do something wrong, and then you'd leave me," He replied, "I'll do something horrible like I probably did to mom and then like she went away, you'll go away too..."

"Your mom?" I ask, "You really miss her, don't you?"

"Everyday, everybreath," he replied, hugging my feet to him. I ruffled his hair. "You know, she-- she had the laugh of an angle. She was so beautiful and she made me so happy. She used to say she could die for me, and then she did. She died saving me, Nandini. I must have done something horrible, right?" He sobbed.

"No!" I whisper shouted immediately, "You're the most amazing man I've met. You couldn't have done anything horrible. She loved you, which is why she wanted you to live more, see the world more and fulfill all dreams she had seen for you."

"Dreams," his eyes lit up. "I will win Musicana. I will beat you!" He showed me his tongue. I laughed how his mood swung. We had Musicana after exams. God, we had too much lined up.

"But..." He said, "You have to promise me. You will not leave me. Ever."

"And why will I leave you?" I asked.

"I don't know. Maybe because one day you'll get up and see that I'm actually not a good man, that my past is horrible and inside my mind, dark thoughts run. Maybe one day you'll see me like I see myself and you wouldn't want to be with the monster in me. But I promise you, I am not a bad man. I have made some mistakes like everyone, but I-- I am a good person. And I will never hurt you."

I smiled softly, "I know. I know you will never hurt me. And even if you do, we will sort it out together. I will not give up on you like others. We will fight against it together. And about your past, I have a miserable past too. If you're a monster for the mistakes you made, I'm a monster too."

"You're so pretty," he replied, dazed, staring at my face and I laughed.

"Then listen to this pretty girl, and let's go to bed," I ordered. He bobbled his head positively. Thank god.

He got up and I dragged him into his room. "First, change my clothes," he pouted.

"Change. Your. Clothes?" I repeated, nervous pangs sitting in. He bobbled his head positively as I removed a tee and his jogger's from his wardrobe.

When I turned back, he had already removed his tee shirt. I took the fresh one and I when I was handing it to him, instead of the tee, he took my hand and I fell on him, sitting on him.

He smiled, brushing my hair behind my ear. "You're so beautiful," he whispered again, "I like you so much."

"I know Manik," I teased, but it didn't look like he was in any mood to be teased.

"And everytime you are close to me, I-- I feel butterflies in my heart. I thought I was turning into a girl with everything you make me feel," he replied and I chuckled. I couldn't picture Manik as a girl. It just didn't fit right.

"And when I see you with any other boy, even Abhimanyu, I feel jealous, so jealous," he murmured.

"You don't have to. All my heart and I, are just yours," I replied.

His eyes lit. "Could you repeat this is the morning, because like, I have a feeling I wouldn't remember anything in the morning," he requested like a baby and I laughed.

Suddenly, I was flipped back on the bed with him on top of me. "Manik...." I began but he cut me off by keeping his finger on my lips. He stared at me with big eyes before bending and kissing me slightly on both my cheeks.

He his hands held my cheeks then and he placed a long kiss on my forehead, my hand reached his bare chest and I held it tight, my nails digging into his shoulder.

Suddenly, it felt like the air had ran out of oxygen and I grasped for more. A million thoughts ran into my mind but I could concentrate on only one-- Manik, the way his lips on my skin made a new intensity rise in my body and how I wanted more and more of him. It tortured me when he stopped be he took his sweet time, dominating me.

It irritated me how he was dominating me and I was unable to do anything. I struggled off his grip I kissed his forehead, my lips brushing everyone on his skin before stopping once as his face dipped into my shoulder.

His lips touched my neck and I finally let out the gasp I was holding in. New intensities rose as his hand travelled into my top, stopping at my stomach though. Every time his lips touched the skin of my neck, I breathed a little deeper.

I wanted more and more and more.

I wanted him to never stop.

I wanted to breathe in his arms and feel him against me.

I wanted to live in his arms tonight.

But I knew we had to stop.

I knew he was drunk. He wasn't in his senses.

And we had an exam tomorrow.

No matter how much I wanted to forget the world in his arms, I knew today wasn't the right day.

"Manik..." I called, and he looked up at me. "You're drunk...." I whispered, "We can do this tomorrow."

"Okay..." He obediently agreed putting the blanket on both of us and I switched off the light, he collected me in his arms, holding me close.

He slightly kissed me on my hair as I put my head on his chest, not minding the fact that he hadn't worn his shirt.

"Have a good night..." I whispered to him.

"My night is always good as long as you're with me," He whispered back and I smiled while heartedly, falling into the best sleep of my life, happy and contended.

I was head over heels in love with him and there was no going back.

✿ ✿ ✿

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

513K 37.6K 23
Manik Malhotra, the name itself brings so many emotions in ones mind- love, passion, music and fear. He was a rock star and a businessman for the wor...
79.3K 3.8K 5
𝘗𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘭𝘺 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘢𝘴 '𝘓𝘰𝘤𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘓𝘰𝘷𝘦' ⭒❃.✮:▹ He loved 𝐡𝐞𝐫 and 𝘚𝘩𝘦 loved him. It was as complicated as it seemed si...
553K 31.5K 59
18/11/18 - 03/06/20 Hey gyz, coming up with a new story... and the story is on one of our favorite couple Manan.... yes Manik and Nandini.... But the...
93.4K 9.3K 57
#6 in Lifestory out of ~10K stories (June, 2021) When THE Nandini Murthy met Manik F*CKBOI Malhotra, during her undergrad days in New York, it was th...