The Lone Dove #1 ✔️

By darkblonde1

The Lone Dove #1 Love and Trust are two very important ideals, but what happens when the moment you lose the... More

ANNOUNCEMENT
PROLOGUE
01. An Enemy of the Elite
02. Reputation of Aaron Dark-wood
03. Contact of the Royal Elite
04. The Pink Silver Tint Of The King's Blushing Heart
05. Heard of a Russian Riot?
06. Live Like Legends
07. Lost In Memory
08. The Puzzle that is Maximus Myers
09. A Russian Discussion
10. Ignorance Is Bliss, Until It's Not
11. The Appearance of Dark-Wood
12. A Play of Russian Roulette
13. Wherefore Art Thou, Poppy?
14. Confession in Discretion
15. A Night of Clarity
16. The Trip Of A Lifetime
17. Red Royal Raid
18. Mother Dearest
19. An Invite Written in Truth
20. A Snippet Of The Double Life
21. The Rules To Reality
22. I Will Not Be So Easily Fooled
23. Misery Loves Company
24. To Woo A Girl Like Me
25. Welcome Home, Honey
26. Emotional Revelations
27. Maximus Myers...My Darling.
28. Eternal Love Of Embers And Sparked Flame
30. The Reality Of Little White Lies
31. The Big Reveal
32. If I Face These Demons, Where Will You Hide?
33. Celestial
34. The Telling of Celestial
35. Till Death Do Us Part
36. Dance Like There's No Tomorrow
37. My Unforgettable Eden
38. His Indescribable Haven
39. The Parker Mansion
EPILOGUE
SHOUT OUT
BONUS CHAPTER
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
A Lone Love (Maximus' POV)
The Little Dove (Melanie's POV)
The Little Dove Is On Wattpad!
A Lone World (Mathias' POV)
⚜️COMING NOW⚜️
⚜️Series⚜️
PINTEREST
Ivan's POV in Snippets:
Hideyoshi's POV in Snippets:
Diana's POV in Snippets:
Rosie's POV in Snippets:
⚜️For Newest Updates FIRST...⚜️

29. Jealousy Is In The Air...

6.2K 249 143
By darkblonde1

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: Jealousy Is In The Air...

"-so, it's not like it's another fancy ball, it's a simple high school party at my lake house!" He opens his arms, standing as hollers from the football team yell that they'll be there.

Ivan sits back down, smirking as he signs a few cheerleaders autographs. Diana rolls her eyes as she slips her hand in Trevor's on her shoulder. Everdeen giggles as Ryan whispers jokes into her ear, Carter munches drastically on a pancake while Andrew and Rosa-belle play 'swap spit' in the corner.

I have my laptop on my lap as I roll my eyes at Ivan's antiques. Maximus shares a smirking glance with Ivan, though he keeps a comfortable arm around the back of my chair as he converses with Ivan about the party.

Suddenly our bodyguard walks around the table, hesitant as he leans down to my ear, "Miss Parker, this gentleman has asked politely if he could speak with you regarding a few questions about one of the classes you are both in. May I ask for confirmation that he does not danger you in anyway?"

I furrow my eyebrows while Maximus suddenly looks curiously smug in his chair, massaging my shoulder absentmindedly. He shares a nod with the bloody bodyguard. I nod, strictly as a boy from my computer engineering class trembles as he stumbles up the steps, very shy when he makes eye contact with me, I raise an eyebrow when he blushes furiously.

The sound of a crack in the back of my chair captures my attention for a moment, as I glance at a stoically tensed arm. Maximus watches the boy that's my age with a hawk like expression on his prey.

Even everyone at the table stop what they were doing to watch what might cause Maximus to lose the switch on his calm aura he had a moment ago. Jared, the boy who stumbles towards me, fumbles with his glasses as he blinks in his blush, "Um, Hi...P-Poppy."

"Hello, Jared. What can I do for you?" I ask, after taking a sip of my tea, closing my laptop.

Jared gulps and takes a few deep breathes, "I was wondering if I...if I could possibly have your help on my website for class, it keeps coming up with an error and our teacher said to talk to our star student...I mean, h-he said to ask you if you were able to-um-help me?" He gulps more under Maximus' dark penetrating eyes.

I sigh, holding my hand out to his laptop that he holds in his shaky hands, "May I have a look?"

He nods profusely, kneeling down on the opposite side of Maximus as he sits between me and Diana. I move a few plates around as he holds the laptop out for me.

"I'm sorry for t-taking up your time, I was just really stuck-" I shake my head at his stuttering.

"No worries, have you always wanted to get into computer engineering?" I ask him, only slightly curious as he fixes his glasses to the bridge of his nose,

"Yes, Miss-um-Poppy. Your speech last year was actually very inspiring and I've seen your latest designs. You're absolutely legendary, all your reports are exemplary. I thought you'd be a bit different when I'd first heard about you in intermediate." He flutters, glancing up at my profile with dazed eyebrows.

Another crack in my chair sounds behind me.

"Ah...Thank you, Jared." I say, awkwardly, I try not to wince when he slouches his head a little. I work through his algorithms, fixing the little mistakes that cause large errors in the system.

He partly watches what I do, and partly just looks up at my profile. Though, he's shook out of his daze when a rumbling chest changes his direction of attention.

"What made you think she'd be different?" Diana asks with a laugh, crossing her arms in silent laughter as Maximus positions his glare right at her, suddenly hating the fact every single one of them was making a laugh at his recognised possessive tendencies. Considering we've only just started dating, I understand-to an extent-regarding why he wants to show a certain type of possessiveness, but if he's growling at other males now, I will have to put my foot down.

"I didn't know she'd be so beautiful." He says breathlessly, my eyes widen as Maximus shoots out of his chair, hands banging against the table.

"That's it, twat!" He growls out as I roll my eyes, grabbing his arm and shoving him back in his chair.

I study Maximus, "What, you don't agree?" I ask Maximus with a small, cheeky smile. I secretly loved his possessiveness, so long as I could control it.

He furrows his eyes at me, "Honey, that's not what I meant! It's completely inappropriate for him to-" He cuts himself off as he curses Jared in his head, his eyes killing him slowly.

I quickly finished and refresh the page as I wait, before it slowly shows the gradual re-productions.

Jared gasps, "Shit, it looks so surreal. How did you-" he painfully stops himself as he gulps under Maximus' harsh death glare.

"Thank you so so much, Poppy. You're...you're incredible. As a thank you, I-I was-um-I was wondering if-if I could possibly take you to-" he's cut off from his stuttering when Maximus points a finger at him,

"Finish that sentence, you little shit, and I'll make an example of you. Run off while I still grant you your legs!" He seethes at him, Jared nods profusely, forgetting his question, thanking me once more as he speeds past me, grabbing his laptop and fast walking through the entrance doors.

I fold my arms, lean back and scrutinise Maximus' form, "Don't start, honey."

"What? You were basically pissing on your territory, Maximus!" I point out harshly as Maximus chokes on his juice. Ivan almost falls off his chair while Diana inhaled harshly, her lips trying far too hard to contain her giggles.

"What's next? Ram me up on your shoulder, bang on your chest and haul my behind up a large building. Telling the world just who you own, baby?" He coughs wildly at the nickname, I was being sarcastic and not in a funny way, as everyone else on our table lose whatever hold they had on their sanity.

"That's utterly ridiculous..." Maximus furrows his eyebrows, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

"Your caveman nature lays it all out in front of me, Maximus. Next thing you know, you'll be making hickeys on my neck everyday just to tell all available males that this girl right here is most certainly not a free flowing fish in the pond, you bloody overgrown gorilla!" He winces at my tone, and at the names while the rest of our group call the attention of just about every student in the cafeteria, their laughter grows louder as their muscles relax too far to cause them to almost fall off their chairs.

"I think I'm going to cry!" Carter breathes out while the other girls sniffle in their laughter.

"Can you really blame me?" Maximus calls out, softening his expression and placing his arms and hands in front of me.

I roll my eyes and sternly stare into his pleading ones, "Yes, actually I can. I confess myself to you, and the minute a boy comes to ask me a question and compliments me, you steam and puff out like an angered beast, provoking for a fight. You're being utterly childish!"

He sighs, smiles when I remind him of my confession, dragging my chair closer to his.

"If being childish shows just how much you mean to me, then this is something you're going to have to put up with, honey. I apologise for the way I acted but, he was being out of line, I'm not going to sit here and ignore it!" He sternly finalises.

I slam my napkin down and move out of his hands, walking around my chair swiftly, our group goes quiet then, laughter thrown out the window as Maximus shoots up in tormented fear.

"Honey! Please, I'm sorry, I just-" I hold up my hand, effectively stopping him, glaring his way for a moment. He trembles slightly as he stumbles over my chair, I pace behind Trevor and Diana, who are tense as they wait.

I groan out, in annoyance and it makes him fidget as he purses his lips, words at the tip of his tongue but my order effectively kept his mouth shut.

I inhale slowly, "Will you do this for as long as we're together?"

"Do you want the truth or should we continue this relationship with a lie?" He bites out, crossing his arms, no longer playing 'Mr. Nice Guy'.

I wince without meaning to and his eyes flash in emotion for a second, before he narrows his eyes my way, "Poppy?"

"It is not always about a lie, protection is very important. That is something I need you to remember, I've already lost a lot in my life, Maximus. I'm not about to lose you too." I whisper hastily.

His nostrils flare, "I've already taken note that you weren't telling the full truth, but I'm a patient man, I'm willing to wait until you're ready. What happened before, I didn't like what he was doing, I acted rashly and I apologise for handling it the way I did but I'm not sorry for telling the boy to back off of the girl I love and go find his own. I'm not losing you too, honey and that...that is something I need you to remember."

I sigh, my shoulders moving with me as my lips twitch in a courageously warm smile, I shake my head as he smiles back and holds out his arms, wanting a cuddle.

He gestures with his finger to come forward, "You infuriating man, how can I ever stay mad at you when you say stuff like that, hmmm?" I give up, walking into his arms and wrapping my own around his neck as he connects our foreheads.

"I love us when we're no longer at war." He whispers.

I groan out, tipping my head back as he chuckles in his whisper.

He captures my neck in his hand, before slowly leading my lips to his, small but, warm. His tantalising softened lips ravish mine with a new fever, warming my fingers when they curl along his scalp, eliciting a groan from him as he tightens his hold on my waist, snaking his one arm all the way around as he curls it at my hip. We earn a whistle from Carter and Trevor, a few chuckles and multiple giggles.

"I love you." He murmurs, pecking me a few more times before pulling back, waiting but I raise an eyebrow.

I kiss his cheek before slipping out of his hands as he stands confused, "Guard my laptop, will you? I'll only be a moment." I tell him over my shoulder, walking down the steps and towards the exit.

He penetrating gaze follows with me, and when I do turn back, I give him a wink as I twirl back towards the door.

I quickly use the bathroom, before washing my hands and turning towards the door, though, the minute I open it, Jace Daniels leans against the wall outside, waiting like a creep.

"Hello, Poppy," I blink as he greets me in a low voice. I furrow my eyebrows, "So, you're dating Myers now?" He asks, walking with me towards the cafe.

"Sorry, Daniels. It's a bit too late for you to ask him out now." I say with a serious tone as he stumbles in his wake, glaring at me and jogging to stop in front of me.

"Not what I meant. I thought we were hitting it off." He says seductively, tilting his head and looking like he might squish my cheeks in a gesture that would definitely make me knock him out.

"In what universe?" I ask him incredulously as I forced him to walk backwards.

"The one where you and I, we're the golden couple." I struggle not to let out a disgusted look as I round him, though he grabs onto my arm and pulls me to his chest, just as my eyes widen and my nose blocks with the poisonous gas that is his cologne.

I raise my hands and push at his shoulders, "Back off or I'll make you manless." I threaten, his grip on my waist tightens as I hold in a growl.

"Why not just give us a chance? I promise not to tell, Hone-" before he can finish, a new hand enfolds itself between us and shoves Daniels away from me, lifting him by his collar as I stumble into another's arms.

I glance up to see an annoyed Ivan, who holds me up and he stares down at me, checking if I'm alright, though the sudden sound of a cracked bone capture our attention very quickly.

Daniels girlish squeal sounds after before, "You sick bitch. You just...you just-" he holds his arm to his chest as an annoyed Maximus crosses his arms, looking down at the weasel.

"I've had it to the moon and back with men trying to go for my girl. Don't ever touch a woman without her consent and if I ever see you anywhere near Poppy, I'm the one who'll ruin your pathetic scholarship. Are we clear, Daniels or may I continue?" He says smoothly, offering him the solution with not an ounce of sweetness.

"Fuck off, Myers!" He seethes out, furrowing his eyebrows intensely at his arm. Before Maximus can swing in his readied punch, I skid up to him and hold his arm,

"Maximus! I'd really rather not have you suspended, Darling." I inform him with a deliberate look in my eyes, 'please, let it go.'

Maximus purses his lips, growling when Daniels squirms and runs down the hall, though he doesn't bolt after him but rather looks down at me intently. After a few minutes, "Don't ever leave my side again, honey!" He whisper yells, pulling my head to his chest as he wraps his other arm around my waist, removing the feeling of Daniels'.

I sigh calmly into his warm chest, closing my eyes as I finally chance the time to relax and fall into him.

It brings him to a happy halt as he crushes me further in, his chest rising and falling at a rapid speed, attempting to tame his anger as he continuously asks me if I'm alright.

I nod into his chest, though he's being slightly over-dramatic, it's already been quite a long day, for the both of us.

He pulls back and looks down at my uniform, furrowing his eyebrows.

Ivan sighs, "Dude, it's not her uniform."

"Perhaps less make-up." Maximus grunts tirelessly.

I roll my eyes, "I'm only wearing eyeliner."

"Well, we'll need to change something. This is getting out of hand, honey." Maximus sighs, snaking an arm around my waist as Ivan hands me my bag, which is heavy enough to be holding my laptop.

"For goodness sake, No! I know how to handle myself, Myers. Honestly, you've already seen me in action many times." He wiggles his eyebrows with a smirk, I raise one of my own before shoving his arm away. He furrows his eyebrows once again, snaking his arm around my shoulders now, and pulling me into his side while Ivan stands on my other side, shaking his head with a smirk.

"What did the little weasel want anyway?" Ivan asks in curiosity.

I sigh, confused, "At first I thought he was jealous because Myers was no longer available. That was until his delusional mind pictured him and I."

I shiver in disgust at the thought, that would never happen.

Maximus closes his eyes for a second, before shaking his head as the three of us walk down to math a bit earlier than usual.

The minute we enter the classroom, Ivan swears under his breath when he takes a look at the board, 'All statistical reports due today!'

I roll my eyes, "You didn't finish yours?" He shakes his head once I ask.

I glance up at Maximus, who smirks, he's already finished his.

Class starts early as the teacher rushes in, a smirk on his face as he stares the eyes of each student. Do teachers only take this job to feel empowered as the kings and queens of homework and the takers of teenage downer awards?

If so, they got it. Almost everyone in the class slams their heads against their desks, as the teacher not so subtly waves his hands in front of the board, as if on television, announcing good news on the weather channel.

I place my three reports on the corner of my table, and watch in silent laughter as Maximus only places one on his side. I raise an eyebrow, "I thought you said you finished them."

He furrows his eyebrows, "How many reports were there?"

I cross my arms and lean back in my seat, "Three, all three different statistical scenarios."

"Dude, even I've done more than you." Ivan scoffs, smiling in his seat while Maximus grows more annoyed as he turns to look at me. Before gesturing with his hand, I roll my eyes but, I hand him my reports, to have a look.

He swears under his breath, "I thought they were just practice runs."

"Well, did you complete them?" I ask, ransacking through my bag for my pencil case.

He glares at me, flipping over another page. Take that as a 'No'.

He sulks as we walk out of class, annoyed but managed to get an extension on the assignment, though Ivan managed to finish his within the time frame.

Maximus is about to direct me to his ride, to drop me off at home, before Ivan stops us with a yell, "Could you two please help me set up?"

Maximus grumbles before glancing down at me, raising an annoyed eyebrow, I nod to a clapping Ivan, before we head over to Maximus' Jeep for today.

"Why'd you agree, I was hoping we could go for ice-cream?" He groans out, opening my door for me.

I sigh, "I was being polite, we can go on that date later." I tell him.

He smiles slowly, "Another date sounds nice."

I nod, knowing him, it probably would. He opens the door to his side, just as I open my laptop, needing to send an email to Jamison, the trip to Chicago will need to be soon if I don't manage my time well.

"You are always on that laptop." He comments, glancing down at me before looking back to the road.

"Always have work to do." I reply, still working on the email.

He sighs, "Can you stay with me tonight, who knows what might happen because Ivan decided to invite our entire year along?"

I roll my eyes, "Alright."

"Wait, really? I was prepared for a whole argument." He shifts between glancing at me and back at the road many times.

I sigh, turning to him, "You would have stuck to me anyway, Myers."

He smirks, nodding in confirmation before putting on some classical music.

As soon as we make it to Ivan's lake house, Maximus glares over the side of the car when I've already opened my door, leaving my laptop and bag in but, slipping my phone into my back pocket.

"Great, thank you for coming! Poppy, you're on food and Maximus, my man, you are with me on decorations." Ivan claps his hands and jumps like an excited toddler, while Maximus and I, the more mature people of our group, hold in a groan of annoyance.

Maximus wraps his arms around my hips, tugging my side to his chest as he places a kiss on my hairline, "I don't like this anymore than you do." He murmurs.

I nod in understanding, before heading towards the kitchen, though I glare over my shoulder when he gives my lower waist a small slap, smirking as he turns to a smug Ivan, who taps him on the shoulder.

Forty five minutes and I've already set up pleasantry drinks, snacks, what I assume is the usual for most power hungry teenagers.

Diana slaps her way into the kitchen, placing bags of treats on the barer side of the table, Rosa-belle does the same with Andrew not far behind. The boy's fist-bump at Ryan, Carter's and Trevor's arrival.

"Honey, could you please fetch me a beer?" Maximus asks, just as the group freezes, my back is turned to them as I hear the boys snicker quietly. I sigh, reaching over the soft drinks and towards the mobile freezer. I grab the beer, Diana raises an eyebrow towards me, taking a sip of her soft drink as I turn towards a surprised Maximus.

"Alright, no kisses for three weeks, no more picking me up from home, no more hugging, oh, and I'm single for as long as I say so but, here big boy, you can have your beer." I note to him, dropping the beer in his hand before turning away. He chuckles before glancing at the others, noticing they're not laughing along with him, that's when he cuts the chuckles with a gasp.

"Wait, are you serious?" He grunts in invisible pain, stumbling towards me as the other men wince.

I slap my hand to Diana's as she sets it out for a high five, Rosa-belle and Everdeen giggle when Maximus follows me like a dying puppy.

"Honey, I didn't mean it like that. Darling, please-" I turn strictly towards him, crossing my arms and tapping my fingers, he sighs, placing the cold beer bottle on a small table stand next to him and attempting to hug me, but I shake my head.

He sighs, running a hand down his face, "A full on massage when we get home." He bribes, but I continue to keep my eyebrow raised, tapping my fingers. He groans out, placing his hands on his narrow hips, bulging out his biceps but I continue looking into his violet eyes.

"Fetch." I say to him, keeping my eyebrow raised, as he slowly starts to worry.

"I didn't mean for you to...I didn't actually think you'd..." He trails off, losing the way with words.

I wave him off, "I'll let you off with a warning but, if you ever tell me to fetch you something, I'll paralyse your arms a lot longer than a few seconds, Myers." I growl out his name as his expression softens, he surprises me when he bends his knees, wraps his arms around my lower waist and swiftly lifts me off the floor.

I'm flushed into his chest as the music speaks volumes downstairs and the sound of many people jumping to the beat, helps to indicate that a few guests have already arrived.

"Thank you, Honey. I swear, not to ask you to do something like that again." He whispers, placing a tender kiss on my neck as he uses his head to lift my own and place his leaning on my collarbone.

I murmur a response, closing my eyes and falling into his warmth, little sneak managed to make me forget what on earth the argument was about as he grabs something from the table, after letting me down and muttering his apologies.

He grabs the beer on his side, as I roll my eyes, walking towards the stairs as Maximus brings a hand to my lower back, holding me close and steady as we pass through many footballers and towards the lounge area.

Trevor and Diana jump towards Ivan's pool before diving in with a few others. Rosa-belle and Ryan shoot next as a I catch Daniels and a few of his personal men sitting next to a couple cheerleaders on the couches in the living room, drinking, of course.

The crowd turns big and wild when a popular song in Spanish turns on and the music grows louder. I lose Maximus in the crowd when Ivan calls him over for a hand on something.

A few cheerleaders throw their hands in the air, standing and screaming with the crowd as the song deepens into a remix. I grab a small cup and pour three-quarters of water in the cup, not feeling like drinking.

My group prances and dances in the pool. I decide to get away from the music, walking towards the pool. I sit down on the long chair as I watch the stars, all before the feeling of a warm large hand slips my shoes off. I glance down as Maximus slowly unties my shoelaces.

"What are you doing?" I ask him, vaguely, staring back up at the stars.

He smirks, standing and pulling his shirt from over his shoulder, displaying his muscles as the cheerleaders behind him gush at his tight muscles. I raise an eyebrow to him, before glancing back up at the sky, he sighs in annoyance.

"You know I like showing off to you, honey." He murmurs, leaning on both arms trapped on either side of my legs.

"Five." I say aloud, he furrows his eyebrows in confusion.

I continue to look at the sky, "Four."

I whisper now, "Three."

He grows slightly worried, "Whats going on?"

"Two." I murmur, smirking when I glance at him.

I salute him mockingly, "One."

Ivan, already dripping wet and smirking wide as he and Andrew shove Maximus straight into the pool, effectively missing me at an arms length as all three present the biggest of splashes altogether.

Maximus growls at them when they all pop up, "What in the hell!? You idiots! What part of you're not allowed to interrupt when I'm talking with my girl, do you not UNDERSTAND!" I watch them play in the water, before looking to the beach, stepping out, I move towards the sand.

I had so much on my shoulders, thinking about wanting to leave, thinking about Celestial. For they, whomever it is, had to have been telling Dark-wood what to do, he was nowhere near smart enough to come up with such plans about infiltrating the enterprise. Especially in the ways he already has. I fold my arms around myself.

We're always with you, Dove. Happy Birthday. Those last words. Then...they were gone.

I was called 'Dove' by my Father. John Parker, a pristine multi-billionaire with a heart of gold, and a heart for my Mom, he stared at her in ways I've caught Maximus staring at me, my heart shatters just about every time. Every day I miss them, every day I am reminded of them, bits and pieces. The walks on the beach, Mom and Dad loved that.

He taught me how to surf. He and Stevens stayed in the water just to teach me.

Running on the sand with Mom.

Building sand castles. Dad and her swimming around each other in the water. Always having guards around everywhere we went, like celebrities, but at that age, just three years old, I had no idea what a celebrity was, they were just my parents. People I never thought I'd ever lose. Not so soon anyway.

When I return to the water, Ivan's dunking Carter, perhaps some sort of payback it seems, considering Carter doesn't bother fighting back, Maximus was about to jump up beside me, I playfully nudge him back in the watermark before seeing the concerned look on his face. He snaps back up, ready to yell at me, before he freezes with wide eyes when he sees it was I, who pushed him back in. He swims up to me, gathering my lower legs with a new boldness that made my stomach flutter. His torso flushes closer.

A lazy smile on his lips, he looked cute, "Almost lost my wits when I saw you were no longer on the beach." He murmurs to me, looking up at me closely, he glides his forearms on either side of me, flushing closer, looking happier with the fact I was no longer wearing leggings.

I run my fingers through his wet strands, "I'm fine. You're worrying too much." He groans suddenly whatever sensations that make him shiver in the water, he leans in closer, inhaling my scent maybe, he moans when I slide my nose against his in a sensual, caring way.

He looks up at me, sternly, "I'm right in worrying, you've been quiet, Poppy. What's on your mind, hmm?" He hums gently against me, still looking up at me with those intent violet eyes that I have come to fall for so deeply. Sighing in defeat, I keep my forehead against his.

"I'm just tired and I've got a lot of work to do." I whisper, my mind focused on him now, but I dream up the work I normally need to do and that in itself is just another reminder of how unbelievably troubling it is for me to have a damn break.

He purses his lips, "You mean with Jamison." He assumed, looking into my eyes and studying my every feature, I furrow my eyebrows, looking down at him in a way where I am memorising every freckle. He raises an eyebrow at me when I feel urged to gently massage his shoulders, distracting myself more than him.

"Diverting my attention, are you?" He whispers, knuckles running along both my forearms.

I close my eyes, "No, Maximus. I do have work with Jamison, but I am in no means able to tonight." He presses a kiss to my palm after I'm done speaking and nudges his head inside, declaring it's time to rest. Together it seems.

"The top window is a safe room for privacy and for sleep, Poppy. We're going to bed." He finalises, I place a kiss on his nose, smiling a small smile at him and nodding softly.

"Lead the way, Darling." I murmur and watch as he presses a kiss to my cheek, before swimming past Ivan, whom I see watching us, something in his eyes that pains me, but I give him a tender look, a small wave towards him, he looks to the water for a second, before Maximus says something to him, he turns away after nodding and moving towards Andrew, fist-bumping him too.

Maximus slips out of the pool, stepping towards me, he lightly dries himself off, leading the way through the room and I see Jace Daniels sitting there with a red cup in hand by the couch, he sits up at my entrance.

"Lovebirds off now." He says, huskily with a whiskey in hand. I give him a look of condition, a look that says this needs to end because it truly does, the slight consideration, but the clear gaze of 'we need to talk' was clear in my eyes, my expression. Everything.

"I never meant to hurt you...Poppy." He mutters to me, handing someone else the whiskey, he was sincere and upset about ever attempting to hurt me, or the continuous feud we have between our groups, I didn't care for it anymore, and I have ignored him for too long. This was the time to diffuse the bad blood between us.

I nod to him, just as sincerely, "I know, Jace and I'm sorry, but I love Maximus," I say to him, using it more casually now, but I meant it and Maximus presses a kiss to my hair, supporting me too, "Let this feud go, no more and...thank you for the flowers, not the red roses, the lilies." I say to him, my eyes penetrating his. He didn't know I knew, but Dad and I knew, Dad even asked me about the boy who saved up to hand me lilies when his parents were too infatuated with Dad, not listening to their son, who clearly had a crush on me.

I felt bad when I couldn't thank him.

"You knew?" He whispers in shock.

I stare at him, of course I knew. But, he wasn't the first boy to give me flowers. Meeting Hideyoshi for the first time when I was around five or six, he gave me my first flower. Maximus looks at me as I lead us through the crowd that Jace orders to move, I nod to him, he nods to me. All I had to tell him was that I knew, and thank him for being the kid who wasn't afraid and really tried, I never thanked him for that, especially when he got too cocky. Maximus leads me to the top room, having a quick shower after I wait to change, he steps out in shorts once I lie down against the covers, towel around his neck.

"That was unexpected." He murmurs his thoughts, he had been so quiet before, even once we stepped up here, he was surprised and decided on gathering his thoughts before asking why I did what I did with Jace. I raise my brows, looking at him.

"He needed to end whatever he was doing, Maximus and I have a feeling, it just did." I say, covering a yawn and turning away to do so. He nods down to me, staring at me as I do the same to him.

"You knew about those flowers, about his crush?" He asks me.

I place a soft kiss against his forehead, "I'm not as dense as you think, now go get changed. These sheets won't warm with just me, you buffoon." I murmur against him, he leans further into me and nods with a soft smile, stepping away to change, I do the same, before my head meets the pillow and for the first time, I'm close to falling straight to sleep when an arm closes in under me, he snuggles in behind me, I sigh with a sleepy smile.

"I love you." I mumble.

He froze behind me, but I was too far gone to acknowledge anything else.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.4K 4.5K 13
حسيت كل جسمي مات من الخوف ورجفه لزمتني شنو الي جاي يصير ياربي ماجاي يستوعب عقلي شنو الي أسوي راح اروح بالرجلين ! اباوع الة متمد گبالي وأگع شلون أگعد...
1.9M 45.6K 33
Hattie Page is a nobody, and who's fault is that? Jasper Kings. Hattie is the outcast. She has no one in her life. Her parents always seem to be gon...
27.1K 2K 63
Dulce Maria se descreveria como uma pessoa comum se não fosse o pequeno detalhe de sonhar demais. Suas maiores paixões eram: a família, a profissão...
40.5M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...