Hue - The Kingdom of Dahlia

By AnnikaS010900

Enter the nation of Carmica In the 30th century where another form of caste system was abided - The Hue A re... More

Prologue
One - The Little Princess
Three - Bronze Ring
Four - The Commander
Five - Trip in Paradise
Six - Till Death Shall Part
Seven - Golden Secrets
Eight - When in Quince
Nine - Hear The Drums?
Ten - The Pink Jade
Eleven - Chick Flick
Twelve - Wallow in my Pillow
Thirteen - Not Real
Fourteen - Date Number Three
Fifteen - Brown for a Minute
Sixteen - One Day More
Seventeen - Freedom?
Eighteen - Preferably War
Nineteen - Inevitable
Twenty - Ever After
Epilogue

Two - One Way Mirror

32 5 0
By AnnikaS010900

I stared at my petite figure standing in the mirror before me. I loved how the silk sleeves of my gown lightly rested off my shoulders. There was an intricate design by the neckline that perfectly accents my clavicle. The dusty pink rose gown dropped down in a flowing yet puffy manner. The charms of my favorite bracelet that Damian gave me when I was sixteen clinked together as I folded my hands like how the ancient Queens do in portraits. I always preferred the dangling tiara as it suits my willows peak and my half dropped red hair. I looked quite regal tonight.

Ivy and her crew made such a big deal of my birthday as they were told to. She was doing some last minute adjustments to my ball gown while the others fixed my hair and everything else. I also thought that I had to look my best since maybe I can get Damian's mind to change. He never told his parents about his fling with Leigh. She was just a palace servant.

"Audrey, dear?" I heard my Mother's voice and the creek of the white carved wooden door.

I turned slightly since the maids were doing my hair. My Mother entered with Piper, my sixteen year old sister, just behind her. They both looked beautiful too. I got my wavy  red locks from Mother while Piper got her straight blonde hair from Father.

Mother had her hair slightly kept into a teased top. She, too, preferred a dangling tiara. The gems in hers were much bigger since she was the Queen. Her gown was a mix of maroon with accents of gold and had sleeves tightly running until just before her elbow then belled out softly. Her gown
was a little less puffy than mine to match her age. She really needs to have her royal portrait done soon as the most beautiful Queen Rose of Dahlia.

Piper on the other hand wore a haltered dark purple dress and opted the regular tiara with no dangles. She had all her hair curled and dropped down her shoulders. She was taller than me but then I always had the slimmer figure.

"Wow, Audrey, you look amazing." Piper exclaimed and hugged me tight.

"I know right?" I said while giggling. "Just kidding, you've always been the prettier one, Piper." I joked while I rolled my eyes to which Piper just laughed off.

"Are you ready, dear?" Mother asked as she rested one hand on my shoulder and gave me a little forehead kiss.

"I guess?" I said with a mix of nervous and excited tone. I've been to many royal balls but I have never been to one of my own since I've never had my very own ball before!

"By the way, your Father said he will have some kind of special announcement later." She said with a bit of confusion since she also had no idea about it. I didn't care much at all.

There was a knock on the door.

"Yes?" My Mother voiced out to which the vague voice of my Father answered through the door,

"Are you girls ready yet? We're scheduled to begin in a few minutes, my loves."

"In a moment, Father!" I said while giving my lips a little retouch. I gave my final glances on the mirror then looked myself into my forest green eyes and whispered in my own head,

"This will be the night of your life."

Just when we were about to begin, I peeked from one of the one way mirrors that cover the sides of the grand staircase. It's where I'm supposed to enter. I saw guests from different Kingdoms and even Nations. I felt really nervous. I scanned the crowd once more only to find Damian. Damian looked
great in his dark blue suit that matched the color of his eyes. His golden brown hair was neatly combed.

"Honey, I would have really loved to escort you but your Mother told me to stay beside her on the throne." My Father whispered and rolled his eyes right before he was about to walk down the staircase with my Mother.

"It's alright, Father! Levi will be escorting me." I said with my eyes scanning the crowd, this time, looking for Levi who, as expected, wasn't with me yet.

"That Levi is always late." My Mother kidded it off before my Father made a big deal out of it.

"Your Highness!" Levi called out while running in the hallway towards us.

"I'm sorry! I had to pick my uniform up from the laundry. It won't happen again." He reasoned out.

He wore his special uniform tonight. It was black with a symbol on his shoulder that indicates his position in the palace. His black hair was a little less shabby than usual. Hehad the image of an ultimate bodyguard.

My Father ignored Levi as the orchestra started playing the music for the King and Queen to enter.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this fine second day of March, we celebrate such a joyous occasion. But first, may I present to
you their Majesties, King Reuben and Queen Rose of Dahlia." A voice announced their entrance.

Mother held Father by the arm as they revealed themselves by walking to the middle of the staircase which was no longer covered by the one way mirrors. They gracefully walked down the staircase and waved. I can hear the sound of cameras clicking beneath the music as they were entering. The music slowly died down when the King and Queen came closer to the throne.

"And now, please help me welcome her Royal Highness, who turns into an official lady today, the most beautiful Princess
Audrey of Dahlia." The voice said just after Father and Mother were seated on the throne.

There were plenty of royal tunes I can choose from but I always preferred the classics.

... You look so wonderful in your dress...

Tenerife Sea by the great Ed Sheeran played on the speakers that were scattered all around the ballroom. Other than the sound of the music, the room was quiet as everyone anticipated for me to enter.

Levi was surprisingly silent, too. In extravagant occasions like these, he usually has an insult to share. 'Hello Godmother!' 'Hey Mary! I think I found your lamb.'

This time, he just stood there, his puppy brown eyes darted directly into mine.

"What are you looking at? Is there something on my face?" I said while quickly reaching for my small pocket mirror.

Before I could do so, Levi stopped me, took me by that hand and wrapped it around his arm as he stood side by side me.

"Shall we? I mean shall you. I'm just someone who makes sure you don't fall." He winked.

I smiled and squealed softly but excitedly. I held on to him as I readied myself to enter. I walked down the staircase with Levi as I waved to the guests of my party.

The ends of my dress delicately brushed against every step of the marble staircase. I heard even more camera clicks and continued to smile despite being nearly blinded by the bright flashes. As I walked into the ballroom, the one way mirrors
now displayed pictures from my younger years, still solo shots as well as photos with my family.

The ball went on and the orchestra continued playing melodies of many different types of classical dances. Some
guests danced while others were eating and chatting around. I spent most of the time being introduced by my Father to different guests of Blue and Gold Hues. They were dressed in such grand ball gowns that I no longer seem to stand out on my own birthday. The only sure thing that made me stand out was my crown and the rhinestones that covered my hair. The entire ballroom was filled with virtual stars.

Just when I finished a conversation with an ambassador from another Nation, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to face the most handsome guest of the night.

"May I have the honor?" Damian said as he held out his hand and slightly bent so that his eyes can meet mine.

"Of course, your Highness." I replied as I took his hand. "I haven't seen you around all night." I lied since I had my eyes
on him for probably the whole time I was waiting to enter.

"I was just waiting to finally dance with the star of the night." He said as he held me by the waist and started dancing. I just smiled and kept silent

"By the way, Audrey, I think I finally gathered enough courage to tell Father about Leigh." My smile was wiped out
by his not so good news.

"That's great. But I still have a bad feeling about this, Damian." I said as I took a glance of King Ethan of Quince, Damian's Father. He was a really approachable King on the
surface. However, when it comes to his family, rules are rules. They are considered as life and death matters.

I had already told myself that tonight will only be complete if I luckily get the chance to dance with Damian. However, as I stared into his empty eyes and danced into the night, I still felt pain knowing that the one right in front of me can never be mine.

Or so I thought.

CLING CLING...

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a utensil striking twice against a wine glass. It was loud enough for the guests to hear and for the orchestra to stop playing. We all turned to the direction of my Father, the King.

"Tonight, as you can all see, my eldest daughter, Princess Audrey is now officially an adult." He started with a loud voice.

I have already been told by Father that by the age of eighteen, I would be responsible for more matters of the Kingdom like matters on politics and especially on programs for the lower Hues.

"She will take on jurisdiction for more matters of the Kingdom." He announced. I smiled to the continuous applause of the people.

"But the greatest power she can use for Dahlia is the ability to join Kingdoms." My Father continued happily. I was quite confused. What was this regarding some kind of power?

He gestured King Ethan to come and stand beside him. Only King Ethan seemed to understand what was going on as he
smiled along with my Father.

"Tonight, a promise has been made in the midst of the Kingdoms Dahlia and Quince. We will join forces to become one Kingdom and a stronger community." Loud cheers can be heard all over the ballroom as this joint Kingdom duo would become the biggest and strongest of all of Carmica.

But I had a bad feeling about this special announcement of his.

"Princess Audrey will have that power as she and Prince Damian join the two Kingdoms through the vow of
marriage." My Father proudly voiced out as he shook hands with King Ethan. They both had the biggest smiles on their faces as the whole ballroom cheered. Why didn't he tell me earlier?

My feeling was right

I quickly turned to look at Damian and saw the grief in his eyes which he hid beneath the smile that he flashed to the people. I did not know what to feel. It's like I have him but he's not even mine.

He looked at me and even though he was smiling, I can see the pain in him through the very cold look in his eyes. I continued to stare blankly at him until my vision was
blurred.

I can feel my tears building up. My face turned cherry red and there was a lump in my throat. Although dying inside, I continued to smile a very good smile for the people who were all watching.

The sight of the camera flashes were all a blur since I held back and never wanted to shed a tear. However, to me, his eyes as well as mine have never been clearer than tonight.

I see him so clearly, I knew I loved him. But he does not see and he does not love me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

408 68 10
In a mystical land of faeries, hybrids and other magical creatures. Unexplainable visions, dreams and events plague 17 year old Delle. She must wrest...
7.1K 329 39
From 21 century, Catherine who is a big fan of K-pop world and a champ in combat sports dies at early 20s. Found her self in a totally different worl...
79 20 16
A Love story?... VAMINA kingdom's king... Gray...♡ WITCHEDIA kingdom's witch... ...
23K 1.7K 68
Magic amplifies feelings, feelings amplify magic. Users of magic should be careful that their heads are cool and their hearts are calm when using mag...