Defying Destiny - A Merlin Fa...

By BookLover905

. "Sometimes I wonder if you've missed me as much as I'v... More

Trailer
Cast
Prologue
Character Info
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66

Chapter 44

1.9K 52 18
By BookLover905

The next morning the trio, now with Mordred, set off again with Arthur in the front carrying Gwen while Merlin, Aria and Mordred walked behind him carrying the supplies.
Like Merlin had said the previous night, Aria's head injury had healed overnight and all that was left was a faint scar.

"What's the meaning of these banners?" Mordred wondered.

"Marks the way for pilgrims" Merlin answered, "this is a sacred site for those who follow the old religion."

Arthur looked confused " How do you know such things?"

Merlin shared a look with Mordred and Aria "Gaius told me"

As the group walked through the gorge they failed to notice a dark figure watching them from on top of the cliffs.

Morgana glared at the Arthur and Merlin but her gaze immediately softened when she lay eyes on Mordred and even more on her sister.

Aria felt Morgana's gaze on her and stopped to look up at the cliffs with a confused look. The others noticed she had stopped and stopped as well.

"Ari, what's  wrong?" Mordred asked

Aria turned to look at them and smiled softly, shaking her head. "It's nothing, I'm alright"

"How much further?" Arthur asked Merlin.

"Not far. This gorge leads to the cauldron" Merlin replied.

Suddenly the group heard screeching and looked up to see Morgana's white dragon,  Aithusa, flying above them. Aithusa swooped down and breathed hot fire at the group causing them to quickly duck out of the way.

"Here!" Arthur yelled taking cover in between some rocks.

Mordred grabbed Aria's hand tightly and they quickly followed after Arthur. Merlin stayed where he was and glanced around the gorge. He knew dragon belonged to Morgana and was trying to figure out where she was hiding.

When he couldn't find her and Aithusa was coming around for another attack, Merlin ran and took cover with the others.

"Morgana must be close" Arthur murmured holding Gwen as close as he could.

Mordred saw Aria smile slightly, at the mention of her sister, from the corner of his eye but she quickly hid it.

"You go, I'll distract it," Merlin said going to run out.

"No"

"You must."

"You're the only one who knows where the sorcerer is" Arthur argued

"Arthur!"

Aithusa flew past them again, screeching.

"Get Gwen and Aria to safety, Sire." Mordred cuts in  "We'll cover you and join you beyond the gorge"

"Wait-"

"Aria, please. Go with Arthur. At least I'll know your safe" Mordred begged her

Aria sighed and nodded her head. She gave Mordred a quick passionate kiss before she and Arthur left with Gwen.

"Stay here. I'll divert the creature" Merlin ordered Mordred.

Merlin went to leave but Mordred grabbed hold of his arm pulling him back. "Merlin you can't"

"I know what I'm doing, Mordred" Merlin ran off into the open and saw Aithusa flying high, turning around and heading straight for him.

Merlin began to walk towards the dragon with a determined look on his face as he started speaking in the dragon tongue, ordering Aithusa away with his Dragonlord powers.

Aithusa stopped in mid-air, gave one final screech and flew off.

Merlin then ran back to where Mordred was hidden and quickly grabbed the supply bags.

"What happened?" Mordred asked

Merlin didn't answer.

"Merlin" Mordred said beginning to get annoyed with the man. "The dragon?"

"We need to move" Merlin replied walking out of their hiding spot with Mordred following. They looked around to make sure the coast was clear before they sprinting, trying to get away.

But Morgana appeared behind them and used her magic to throw them both forward, knocking them to the ground.

Merlin, who slightly in front of Mordred, glanced back to see him slowly sitting up. Thinking Mordred would catch up, Merlin ran off. Mordred went to get up on his feet but was overcome with dizziness. All he saw was the dark figure of Morgana approaching him before he passed out.
_______________________________________

Arthur and Aria had hidden behind a rock beyond the gorge. They then saw Merlin running towards them but looked concerned when they saw that Mordred wasn't with him.

"Where's Mordred?" Aria asked, the worry clear in her voice.

"He's right....." Merlin glanced behind him realising that Mordred wasn't there and looked around frantically"... He was right behind me"

Aria dropped the supplies she was carrying and grabbed her sword. She began to rush off but Merlin caught her arm. "Aria-"

"I am not leaving him behind, Merlin!...." Aria yelled ripping her arm out of Merlin's grip

"....I love him!"

Aria then ran off in search of Mordred, ignoring the yells from Arthur and Merlin for Aria to come back.

_______________________________________

Mordred woke up feeling someone gently caressing his cheek. He looked up at saw Morgana kneeling beside him, smiling softly.

"Why don't you kill me?" He demanded.

"And face my heartbroken sister's wrath. No." Morgana replied " besides my argument's not with you, Mordred. How could it be? We're of a kind."

Mordred scowled, getting up and backed away from Morgana. Morgana then stood up as well.

"Never." Mordred shook his head.

"You wear the uniform well, but we both know what lies beneath."

Mordred glanced down at his chainmail.

"Do you think Arthur would tolerate you for one minute if he knew the truth? One of his knights a sorcerer" Morgana taunted " And what of Aria? Does she know about your powers or are you lying to her like you are to Arthur? You know she has always hated liars"

"Aria knows about what I am and one day Arthur will too. One day people like us will be accepted." Mordred smiled slightly.

"Your naivety would be charming if it wasn't so dangerous."

"Where are Emrys and Nerys?" Morgana demanded

"Emrys? Nerys?" Mordred pretended to not know who Morgana was talking about.

"You pretended you do not know of whom I speak?"

"It is two names I've only heard of," Mordred said

"They're not here, with you?" Morgana gritted her teeth.

" if they were... Would we both not feel the presence of such great sorcerers?" Mordred asked her.

Morgana could not tell if Mordred was lying or not. Morgana was about to speak again when she saw a figure running up to them. Mordred saw her gaze go over his shoulder and look behind him. His eyes widened when he saw Aria running up to them with a worried and concerned look on her face.

Aria stopped when she saw Morgana who suddenly used her magic to make Aria fall unconscious. Aria fell to the ground gently due to Morgana using her magic to soften her fall.

"Aria!" Mordred cried running over to the blonde. He knelt beside her and gently held her head in his hands.

"What did you do to her?" Mordred demanded

"I placed her into a deep sleep, so she won't bother us " Morgana explained," Don't worry, she'll awaken once we're finished here. Now again, where are Emrys and Nerys?"

Mordred stood up, stepped in front of Aria's sleeping form and scowled at Morgana.

"I'll never tell you anything" Mordred shook his head.

"....Then I have no further use for you." Morgana held up her hand ready to strike.

"You would strike one of your own?" Mordred questioned causing Morgana to hesitate.

"I am not strong enough to defeat you, Morgana, but know this. Such hatred as yours can never triumph. And I know that one day,  Nerys will fulfil their destiny and help you find the love and compassion that  which used to fill your heart "

Mordred then suddenly used his magic to send Morgana flying back. She hit the ground hard and lay still.

As soon as Morgana fell unconscious, Aria burst awake with a gasp. Mordred grabbed her arms to help her stand up.

"What happened? Are you alright?" Aria looked around at her surroundings until her eyes fell on her sister. She went to take a step towards her but Mordred grabbed her hand. " Aria, we need to go. Come on"

The couple then ran off to find the others, hand in hand. Aria glanced back at her sister hoping she would be alright.

_______________________________________

When Mordred and Aria finally reached the cauldron, Arthur was sat beside a still sleeping Gwen while Merlin was nowhere in sight.

Arthur looked up when he heard them approaching.

"Mordred? Aria?" Arthur clasped arms with  Mordred and gave his sister a hug. "I thought we'd lost you both"

"So did I"

" How did you escape Morgana?" Arthur wondered

Aria looked at Mordred, silently panicking, knowing fully well that he had used magic.

"Even she is no match for two knights of the round table. " Mordred said

"Seriously, Mordred" Arthur didn't believe them one bit.

Mordred was about to make another excuse when a figure emerged from behind the rocks.

An old woman, dressed in an old, ratted black dress with a hood only showing her face and a part of her grey hair appeared.

"Now it makes sense" Arthur muttered to the others. " Merlin said she had trouble getting clothes"

"Who are you?" The women questioned, " what businesses have you in this sacred place?"

"Are you the Dolma?" Arthur asked " Ancient sorceress of the cauldron of Arianrhod?"

The Dolma made a weird gesture with her hands. "Who else would I be?"

Arthur then turned to mutter to Aria and Mordred "Does she look familiar to you?"

Aria looked closely at the woman's face and saw something familiar in her eyes.  Something clicked and Aria realised who the Dolma actually was. She tried not to burst out laughing.

"There is something" Mordred muttered to Arthur and glanced at Aria who was stood behind him slightly, holding a hand over her mouth to quieten her giggles. When she saw Mordred looking she stopped and tried to keep a straight face.

"What say you? Why do you mutter?" The Dolma demanded

"You look familiar, sorceress," Arthur told her.

"Oh," The Dolma looked flattered and played with her hair a bit." Is that so?"

"It is" Arthur replied

"My Lord, where is Merlin?" Mordred wondered

Arthur then looked threateningly at the Dolma. " What have you done with my servant?"

"Oh, the gangly boy, mmm"

Arthur unsheathed his sword and approached the women, scowling.

" If you kill me, you'll never see him again" The Dolma threatened

Arthur stopped advancing on the old women but still kept his sword out in case something happened.

"I am an old woman. Is it not natural I seek some surety?" The Dolma questioned

Again Aria desperately tried to hide her laughter, she was thankful she was behind Mordred and Arthur so they couldn't see her struggling to hold in her laughs.

"The boy will be returned to you once we have concluded our business," The Dolma told them.

"You know why we're here." Arthur realised

"Nothing is hidden from... The Dolma. Now hurry, before your queen awakes. Set her by the pool" The Dolma gestured to the water and walked closer to the water's edge.

Arthur sheathed his sword, picked up Gwen and set her down by the water's edge.

"Great king, " The Dolma knelt beside Gwen as Arthur stood beside Mordred and Aria." The magic that has ensnared your queen is strong indeed. It can be fought. It can be broken but it may also prevail. Do you understand this?"

"I do" Arthur answered

"What we attempt will not be easy. If we fail, your queen will be lost forever" The Dolma warned

"I understand"

"Very well. When I awake Guinevere from her sleep, she must walk into the cauldron of Arianrhod of her own will. Only then will the spell be broken, but be warned, all the magic that binds her will fight against it." The Dolma explained.

"How then can we succeed?" Arthur asked

"You must reach her, Arthur," The Dolma said and  stood up " reach that part of your Queen which is remained untouched by the evil of Morgana"

"Is there such a part?"

"You must believe there is." The Dolma told him " Prepare. When she wakes, you will have but a few moments"

Arthur, Mordred and Aria backed up slightly. The Dolma knelt beside Gwen once again and began to chant while hovering a hand over her.

The Dolma's eyes flashed gold, she then stood up and backed away as Arthur took her place beside Gwen.

Gwen's eyes fluttered open. She then bolted up and looked around alarmed. "Where am I? What have you done to me?"

"You've been asleep for a long time," Arthur told her gently.

"Guinevere - -"

"Get away from me!"Gwen shot up and tried to run away but Arthur grabbed her.
Aria and Mordred moved to the side so they wouldn't be in the way.

"My Guinevere."

"Your Guinevere? You stupid foolish man. I was never yours and never will be" Gwen snapped at Arthur

"You must reach her, Arthur. Reach out or all is lost" The Dolma reminded him.

"Who's this old crone?" Gwen asked rudely as she desperately tried to get away from Arthur.

Aria watched as her brother struggled with one of her closest friends. Mordred put his arm around Aria to comfort her.

"You loved me once" Arthur reminded Gwen

"You're easily fooled, Arthur,"

"And still do"

"It was a trick" Gwen smirked "nothing more. A subterfuge to pass Camelot to its rightful queen."

"I don't believe that" Arthur tried to pull Gwen towards the water.

"Believe what you like, fact remains" Gwen smirked

" Arthur, it has to be of her own will" Aria quickly reminded him.

Arthur glanced at his sister before looking back at his wife.

"Look at me." Arthur demanded, " tell me you don't love me"

"Let me go!" Gwen exclaimed

"Arthur" The Dolma warned

"Do you remember when I asked you to marry me? Do you remember what you said? You said " with all my heart. " That's what you said, Guinevere. That was no subterfuge. No trickery."

Gwen stopped struggling and just stared at Arthur so he let go of her.

"With all my heart," Arthur said and began to back up towards the pool.

"With all my heart," he said again walking into the water.

Gwen started to gasp as the part of her that remained true reached the surface for the first time in months.

"With all my heart" Gwen whispered

Arthur held out his hand to Gwen and Mordred and Aria watched amazed as Gwen willingly began to take steps forward towards Arthur and the cauldron of Arianrhod.

"Come" Arthur coaks her

Gwen entered the water and took Arthur's hand. Arthur led Gwen further into the cauldron as the Dolma started incanting.

Gwen was suddenly surrounded by a warm, bright light. The light faded and the enchantment placed on Gwen was broken.

Gwen turned in the water to face Arthur and held out her hand to him smiling. Arthur went further into the water and embraced Gwen tightly, relieved that the spell was broken and that he had his wife back.

Mordred, Aria and the Dolma were all smiling as they watched the couple hug. Mordred glanced at the Dolma knowing there was something familiar about her before he glanced down at Aria who he still had his arm around. Aria was grinning from ear to ear glad that the spell was broken and that she had her sister in law back.

_______________________________________

Arthur stood with his arm securely around Gwen as they faced the Dolma.

"I owe you a great debt. We both do. If there's ever anything I can do in return - - perhaps a new dress?"

"Arthur!" Gwen scolded

"She likes clothes," Arthur told her.

The Dolma glanced down at her ratted dress before looking back up at the royal couple. "There is one thing. "

"Name it"

" remember what saved your queen. Magic and sorcery." The Dolma said

"It was also sorcery that bewitched her." Arthur resorted

"There is no evil in sorcery, only in the hearts of men. My request is... That you remember this"

"You have my word" Arthur promised

The Dolma nodded at him in thanks. Mordred and Aria then walked up to them and Gwen, Arthur and Mordred all started to leave. Aria stayed where she was and began giggling quietly at the annoyed look the Dolma was giving Arthur.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" The Dolma called out

Arthur turned to face the old women and began checking to see if he had everything.

The Dolma let out a huff of annoyance making Aria want to laugh more.

"Don't  think so" Arthur replied

" Arthur" Aria spoke up causing everyone to look at her " Merlin? " she reminded

"Ah. Ah, of course, I thought everything had gone unusually smoothly"

"That boy was your surety, Great King. Without him, your queen would still be lost" The Dolma snapped in frustration.

"I'm not sure that's quite true" Arthur disagreed.

"And I say it is!" The Dolma exclaimed

Arthur raised an eyebrow at the Dolma.

"You owe him a greater debt than you can possibly know," The Dolma said approaching Arthur.

"Right. I'm sorry. I'll... give him the afternoon off" Arthur said causing the Dolma to raise her eyebrows in disbelief.

The Dolma leaned in really close to Arthur's face making him look extremely uncomfortable.

"One day, Great king" The Dolma loudly whispered " you will recognize the true worth of those that surround you"

Arthur looked really confused and uncomfortable with the Dolma being so close to him.

"Go" The Dolma commanded

The group went to leave but stopped when they saw the Dolma about to run off. The Dolma gave them a wave in which Arthur returned and they turned to leave again.

The Dolma then ran off and hid behind a rock and transformed.

_______________________________________

The group were almost back in Camelot. Gwen and Arthur rode upfront while Merlin, Mordred and Aria rode behind them.

"Arthur's a lucky man," Mordred said

"Uh, excuse me?" Aria raised an eyebrow

"But not as lucky as I am to have you, Ari" Mordred recovers " Besides I meant he's lucky to have you, Merlin and Gwen"

"He'd find someone else to do his chores soon enough," Merlin said.

"It was hardly a chore. That was your magic back there, wasn't it?" Mordred asked.

"What gave it away?" Merlin questioned in a joking manner.

Mordred chuckled " Well, Aria's feeble attempts to hide her laughter for one"

"Oh, come on. Seeing Merlin pretending to be an old woman, how could I not laugh?"Aria smiled.

Merlin gave Aria a playful shove making her and Mordred just laugh more.

" But have no fear. I will not divulge your secret. I admire you. It can't be easy to do so much for so little reward" Mordred said to Merlin.

"I do not seek reward" Merlin replied

"Recognition then"

"My friends are safe and well, that's all I require"

"You see, you two do have something in common after all. In fact, all three of us have in common. The future of Camelot" Aria smiled

Merlin and Mordred smiled back before they all fell into a comfortable silence as they continued the final few miles back home.

_______________________________________

That night back in Camelot, Aria was once in her chambers,  in her nightdress and her hair let down in gentle waves. She was reading the book she didn't yet know belonged to her mother.

She sat on her windowsill with the book resting on her knees, Ruby lay by her feet grooming herself and Violet was busy turning down the bed.

There was a knock at the door before Gwen walked through still in her blue dress. Aria and Violet smiled when they saw her, happy that she was herself again and Ruby started wagging her tail energetically.

"Aria, could I have a word?" Gwen asked she looked regretful about something.

"Of course, thank you, Violet. You may go now" Aria dismissed

"See you tomorrow, Aria" Violet gave a curtsy to the queen and before she left Aria called out "and say hi to Leon for me"

Violet turned her head to scowl playfully at her best friend who gave her a thumbs up. Gwen just stood there laughing quietly at the two.

Once Violet was gone, Aria got up from her seat on the windowsill, placed her book down and approached Gwen. " So, what's wrong?"

"What's wrong is that I tried to kill you and Arthur and the worst part is that I almost succeeded. I've already apologized to Arthur and now I'm apologising to you. I'm so sorry, Aria. For everything, from stabbing you, to kidnapping you and giving you to Morgana " Gwen had actually started to tear up regretting everything she did whilst she was enchanted.

Aria gave Gwen a sorry look and pulled her into a hug, letting Gwen cry on her shoulder. "It's not your fault Gwen, you were enchanted and not in your right state of mind. But if it makes you feel better, I forgive you"

Aria pulled back from the hug and smiled warmly. Gwen smiled back and dried the tears that were falling down her cheeks.

"Thank you, Ari" Gwen smiled " But there is one thing I don't understand, how was I enchanted and not you? We were kept in the same conditions in the dark tower weren't we?"

"We were" Aria nodded " But I think it was just because I knew what Morgana was trying to do and what those gross roots were.  Or something like that, I don't really know for certain."

"Alright. Sleep well, Aria. I'll see you tomorrow " Gwen gave Aria one final hug before she left. Aria lay down on her bed staring up at the ceiling wondering why she hadn't been affected. All sorts of possibility went through her head but none made any sense and were very unlikely. Aria decided she would ask Gaius about it, surely he would know something.

Aria got under her covers, patted the spot beside her coaxing Ruby to jump on the bed next to her. Aria then leaned over and blew out the candle on her bedside table, surrounding her room in darkness. Aria then lay down and let sleep overtake her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 306 17
VIGILANTE SHIT- ❝ revenge is a good look on you ❞ IN WHICH, two sorcerers in camelot are both destined to take care of the king's most beloved, arthu...
112K 3.1K 26
After lena and supergirl got into a disagreement their friendship seems to be falling apart. Kara is starting to develop feelings for Lena but things...
5.5K 221 24
The forbidden love between a prince and the queen of dragons will their love prevail or will it crumble to the ground. I've changed a few things: Art...
139K 3.7K 43
Random one-shots about Merlin and characters! *Morgana, Mordred, Balinor, Will, and Freya are alive. *Morgana and Mordred are good. *Mordred is a kni...