Moments of Impact H.S. A.U.

By MetteMA

Warning: mature content 'When so many are lonely as seem to be lonely, it would be inexcusably selfish to be... More

Playlist
Intro
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17
18
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.

Epilogue

198 11 12
By MetteMA

The amount of people that has showed up is beyond me. I think there is at least 100 people here and all because of me. Me. I still can't shake the feeling that they all came because of little ol' me. Obviously, some people are people I invited personally, but others are total strangers that has simply come because they are interested in my work.

I feel a hand on my shoulder. "I love this picture," Bonnie says crossing her arms admiring a picture of herself.

"I like the motive more," I say chuckling as I admire the details. It's a picture of Bonnie from back in July. I remember we were at Tamarama beach, and she was looking at the ocean completely unaware that I was taking pictures of her. It was raining a little, but the wind made her hair fly backwards exposing her face and the freckles adorning her skin. Her curls really stand out in the picture.

"Thanks. You know this is truly great. I told you people would show up."

"I know, but sometimes you're your own biggest critique."

"You're more talented than you know," she says giving me a wink, and I place a hand on her shoulder in thanks and find Maddie and Adam.

"Hey, you two," I say first giving Maddie a cuddle and then Adam. "Thanks for coming."

"I'm really impressed, Leah. I had no idea you were this talented," Adam says walking off to admire the pictures.

"He's right. You are very talented," Maddie says placing her arm around my waist.

"Thank you, babe," I say placing my arm over her shoulders.

"Any pictures of me?"

"Only a ton," I say.

"Really?" Maddie wonders widening her eyes at me.

"Well, I think there's at least five. There should be one of you and Adam too."

"Jjust promise to give me the copies."

"Sure," I say and watch her as she walks over to Adam. I take a deep breath and try to let it all sink in. It just shows how in a single moment one's life can change, and that hard work pays off. Had I listened to my mum and found a "real" job, this would probably never have happened and I would never had been able to pursue my dreams. Photography was truly my passion and I was happy I had never given up, even during the long hours at the café or while being Harry's secretary. I hadn't talked to him since back in June or July. I wasn't sure when it was that he showed up at my place. I did however write to him last month asking for permission to use a picture of him for my exhibition. Luckily, he was only happy to help even if it might mean that his picture will probably end up at a strangers place. Time seemed to have been flying since we last saw each other, and I could not be more happy about my life right now. I was aware there was still a lot of hard work ahead and that I wasn't going to earn a lot of money from one day to the next. But the fact that people had actually showed up today to see my pictures proved to me that there was hope that someday I could actually make a living from this.

"I'm so proud of you, love," my dad says engulfing me into his arms.

"Thanks dad. What about mum?"

"I'm sure she's proud of you too, although I'm not sure she's much of admitting it. You know how much pried she has."

I roll my eyes and hug him back. "That's so typically her," I say knowing that the fact that she's here is her way of supporting me even if she's never going to actually tell me she's proud of me.

"And all these people-" he says looking around the crowd. "theres so many, and they're all here because of you."

"Yeah, it's pretty crazy," I say walking over to mum.

"Finding a picture you like?" I ask and notice that she's looking at the one of Harry. I gulp.

"Who's this?"

"Just a friend," I say not wanting to go into detail about him. If I tell her he's my previous boss, she'll just end up asking even more questions as to why I even have his picture. And I don't want her to ask questions. I never told my parents about Harry and I, and I think it's better if it stays that way.

"He's very handsome," she says, and I can't help but agree. Harry is very handsome, and I'm sure this is my all time favourite picture of him. It's the one I took at his parent's anniversary. The emotion is raw. I truly loved when he showed me this side of him.

I look away from the picture and think I spot Sam, but why would she have come? It's probably just my mind messing with me at the thought of Harry. I excuse myself and head over to get some water. I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that all these people have actually come to see my work. I pinch myself just to make sure I'm not dreaming.

"Someone bid on one of your pictures," Bonnie exclaims, and I spill a bit of water on my shirt, thankful it's not wine or soda.

"You serious?" I say. I think my heart just skipped a beat and I can't stop smiling. I'm honestly very proud of myself.

"Which one?" I wonder.

"The one of Harry," she says, and the first thought is that it is my mum, but I seriously hope that's not the case. It would be very weird having to stare at his face every time I visit my parents'.

"How much?" I wonder. All the pictures start off at 1000 dollars. I've been researching and if I am to be taken seriously I need to set the price higher than I would have if I were to set it myself. I can't believe that someone's actually willing to pay for my work.

"5000," she says giving me a wink, and I narrow my eyes at her. That's crazy.

"What!" I exclaim and head over to Harry's picture and examine it. I can't believe that someone is actually going to have this hanging on his or her wall. My body is pumping with adrenaline and I feel like I'm dreaming. There's no way someone is paying 5000 dollars for my work. How is this even possible?

"I think this will fit well inside my living room. What do you think?"

I freeze for a moment at the sound of the voice. It's been months since I last heard it, but I can detect that voice anywhere. My heart skips a beat, and I look at Harry who's wearing a cheeky grin.

"You know you bid too high," I say with a smile as I cross my arms. His hair is longer than last time I saw him.

"This way, I'll be sure no one else bids higher," he says with a smile and look at the picture, and I feel my body warm up. This is an incredibly sweet gesture, and I honestly appreciate that he decided to show up today. Perhaps, I did actually spot Sam earlier.

"You're unbelievable," I say shaking my head.

"So, I've been told," he says.

"Thank you;" I say and wrap my arms around him out of instinct, but not in any sort of romantic way, but because I really do appreciate the gesture. I feel his hands on my waist, and he presses me against his chest a little harder, but I don't believe he has any ulterior motives.

"You should be very proud of yourself," he says as we pull away. "Your work is really great. Although, this is my favourite," he says looking at his own picture.

"You're very into yourself, aren't you?"

"Well-" he smiles "it's not like you have any pictures of you for sale," he chuckles, and I shake my head and roll my eyes.

"Haha. I tell you, you'd grow tired of looking at me," I say wondering how it is so easy to talk to him after everything we've been through. Perhaps, we can actually end up being friends.

"Impossible," he says winking at me, and I spot Sam walking over.

"This is amazing. You are very talented, Leah," Sam says giving me a cuddle. I still don't feel like I know Sam that well, but hugging is apparently her thing.

"Thank you, Sam. And thanks to both of you for showing up," I say sending Harry a smile. "I really appreciate it."

"Of course. Wouldn't miss it for the world," he says and a part of me knows he's being sincere.

"Cmon, Haz. You got to come see this," Sam says grabbing Harry's arm.

"I'll be seeing you around," he says with a smile as our eyes meet.

"I'll be seeing you," I say smiling back and then I watch as Sam drags him to the other end of the room. I've no idea what will happen between Harry and I in the future, but that's alright. He looks to be doing good, and more importantly so am I. And that's the only think I really need to concern myself with. I'm happy, and the fact that I' can most likely live off of photography in the future is all I could ever wish for. This is truly a dream come true, and I don't wish I'd done things differently, because the choices I made brought me right here to this moment and there's no other place I'd rather be.

Maddie hands me a glass of wine. "Cheers, Lee. You should be very proud of yourself."

"Thank you, Maddie. I am," I say and for the first time in my life I think I actually mean it. What a wonderful feeling to say that I'm actually proud of what I've accomplished. Now more than ever I'm very excited about the future, because I know that no matter what, I'll be okay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.2M 267K 105
Harry Styles isn't my father, he's my stepfather. Well ex-stepfather. My mother married him when I was 18, she was 36 and he was 20. Totally gross r...
14.6K 566 39
Gosh, I'm so pathetic. I feel like I relate everything happening to me, back to Cody. It's probably because he and I were always together. But I real...
107K 5.3K 37
"I went down on you" "What?" when? Where? "I just... You were high and I was drunk and I really didn't mean.... Wait I wanted to but not... You're...
Hidden By Soph

Werewolf

1K 57 12
[DISCONTINUED] **MATURE LANGUAGE AND CONTENT** **POSSIBLE TRIGGERS** WATTYS2018 I walk down the staircase, entranced with his sharp, angular feature...