Belly of the Beast

By neverfakeit

On the heels of their marriage, Vincent and Reese's bond, not to mention their steamy sex life, is tested whe... More

Into the fire
Foreplay
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Afterglow

Chapter 34

5.5K 393 27
By neverfakeit

The baby had dark hair and hazel eyes, something from each of us. A plump, little hand rested on my breast and rosy cheeks peeked out of the swaddling blanket as the child suckled. I should have been relieved, finally giving Vincent his precious progeny, but that wasn't the case. Something felt off.

I glanced up when the door opened, and Christoph walked in. His eyes went straight to the child. I thought he would be happy for me, but he didn't smile as he walked over and looked down at my newborn. He stretched for the blanket, and I held my breath as he pulled it away to reveal tiny horn buds.

The horns were too small to be of any use, but when he saw them, he finally smiled, turning toward a figure standing in the doorway. It was Vincent, and he looked like he'd been handed a death sentence.

No.

Tears poured down my face and dripped onto the child's forehead as I tugged the blanket over the horns, covering them so Vincent wouldn't see. I wanted so badly to reach out to him, but he stood too far away, and I knew he didn't want to be anywhere near me or our child. He thought the babe didn't belong to him. Lowering his chin to his chest, he turned to go.

"Please, Vincent. Don't leave me," I called out. "After everything we've been though, would you just walk away? This is your baby. Our baby. Please, don't go."

"It's okay, Reese, I'm here." Christoph put his hand on my cheek, touching it gently, but it wasn't his voice that spoke the words. It was Vincent's, although that wasn't possible since he had left the room, abandoning me and his beautiful baby boy.

"Reese, wake-up. You're dreaming. Come back to me, babe." Vincent continued his plea as I felt the fog lift, and I blinked our bedroom into focus. As soon as his handsome face came into view, a wave of sadness washed over me, and I reached for him, pulling his arms around me as I swallowed a sob.

"That was no dream. It was a nightmare. Thank you for saving me." I filled my sinuses with his gollum scent, trying to push the disturbing images away.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not at all. I want to forget about it."

"Anything I can do to help you forget?" Vincent nipped at my lower lip in a playful kiss, and I felt the warmth of his hand on my belly as he rubbed it.

"How about a foot massage? My feet feel like water balloons, although I haven't seen them for days. Do they look like water balloons?"

"Now there's a loaded question." Vincent arranged himself at the far end of the bed and took one of my bloated feet into his hands. "Your feet look radiant. I'd like to suck on each toe, one by one. Then lick the curve of your ankle, kissing my way up your leg until I reach your delicious center."

As Vincent spoke his seduction, he pressed his thumb into the instep of my foot, helping release the stress of the dream with his nimble fingers. No way was I telling him about the disturbing visions I'd been having about our baby being born with horns.

"Rub first, suck later," I told him as I relaxed. "What time is it? We need to be ready to leave by nine."

"We have plenty of time. Scooby is getting the jet fueled-up and Griffin is making pumpkin chocolate chip muffins for the trip."

"Mmm, sounds delicious." I moaned as I thought about muffins and the excellent foot massage I was receiving. "And Scooby has a flight plan worked out so we can land anywhere if I go into labor?"

"You already asked that. Several times, in fact. Do you think your mate wouldn't plan for every possibility?"

"No, but my hormone-addled brain will probably keep asking questions you've already given the answer to. So, I apologize ahead of time."

When my foot massage was done, Vincent helped me off the bed and continued to dote over me in the bathroom while he made a call on his phone. For the past month, he had rarely left my side, conducting his business within earshot of me. He said I needed to learn what was going on now that his responsibilities had grown to include high magister obligations.

While the shock of his appointment to grand master of the gollums had worn off since the announcement, the reality of how it would impact our family had not sunk in yet. Due to my pregnancy, I was receiving most of Vincent's attention. But once the baby arrived, I had a feeling that would change.

Griffin and Amelia arrived at our door just before nine with a care package of muffins and a homemade fruit smoothie with avocado and protein powder. "It looks nasty, but the taste is good," Griffin explained. "Did you pack your baby journal? I don't want you to forget anything while you're in Russia."

"Yes, I packed it. And we'll only be gone three days, at the most."

"I know, but I'm worried you're going to have the baby without me. I really want to watch the birth."

"You will. Dr. Hardwick doesn't think baby Valentino is ready yet. I'll keep everyone in the loop."

Amelia stepped in to hug me, bumping into my belly, which was impossible to avoid. "Be careful while you're there, Reese. I know you'll have your hands full with that maniac, Stepanov, but don't let yourself get too upset."

"Thanks, Amelia, but I've already been given that speech from my darling husband. Several times, in fact." I smiled at Vincent as he opened the door and picked up our suitcases. "I plan to hand over the cube, get the cure to this bloody curse, then turn right around and head home. I'll let the demons handle the rest."

"That's my girl." Amelia patted my shoulder as she and Griffin walked us to the elevator. We all waved goodbye as the doors closed.

"It's probably not going to be that easy," Vincent said as he lowered a suitcase to take my hand.

"I know, but there's no sense making everyone worry."

We received more well wishes from Rizzo as he dropped us off at the private jetport. While he loaded the bags on the plane, Vincent loaded his massively pregnant wife. Then everything went as planned for the next twelve hours, only four of which I slept, although I told Vincent I slept for six so he wouldn't worry.

The sun was heading west as we climbed into the back of our private transport, something called The Tiger. It appeared to be the Russian version of a Hummer, which had been pimped-out with plush leather interior and a wet bar. I finally divulged that I was exhausted and proceeded to doze on Vincent's shoulder while he made phone calls.

Although I missed most of the journey, I rose from my hazy slumber to find the sun dipping below the horizon and our luxury tank traversing a winding road up a mountain. Given that it was June, and the warm temperatures had turned the typically snowy landscape green, I pretended we were on holiday enjoying the wilds of Russia.

According to the connections we'd made with the demons in the area, Dmitry's residence was extremely difficult to find on foot, and I knew my astute husband was taking detailed notes as our driver, who called herself Luba, navigated the complex terrain.

As we came to a sharp curve in the road, Luba maneuvered away from the pavement, taking a hidden drive that looked too narrow to accommodate our large vehicle. I put some distance between myself and the window as tree limbs beat against the glass. Although baby Valentino had been quiet during the flight over, I felt a few kicks of protest as the SUV jerked and weaved through the dense forest. Was the woman making her own trail?

It wasn't until we pulled up to the estate that I realized we had arrived. The trees remained thick around the perimeter of a stone wall, creating a nearly impenetrable barricade to the home. Nearly, because it wouldn't be a problem for a gollum or a demon. Those traveling by land however, were forced to use the iron gate that barred out way.

Luba triggered our entry by remote control and drove inside the compound, where we were greeted by more of the same thick trees and shrubbery, some blooming with small flowers. But unlike the wild landscape we'd just left, these were planted with purpose and trimmed into hedges and topiaries.

The Tiger rolled to a stop in front of a fortified entrance. It looked nearly as intimidating as the gate. The double doors were reinforced with strips of iron that had been hammered flat and bolted to thick slabs of aged wood. The place looked like a primeval fortress, and I couldn't help wondering if Dmitry had always lived there. According to legend, the necromancer was hundreds of years old.

While Luba retrieved our suitcases, Vincent helped me out of the car, and the front door opened as the three of us walked up. I wasn't surprised to see Igor playing the role of butler again.

"Welcome to the home of Dmitry Stepanov," he said as he waved us inside. "I hope you had good travels. I will see you to your room so you may rest up." He took the suitcases from Luba, and while she disappeared back outside, Vincent and I followed Igor further into the home.

At first glance, the place had the look of a time-worn castle. The stone walls were buried beneath what appeared to be centuries of collecting; statues, pottery, taxidermy, with the more precious items encased in glass. And there were shelves and shelves of books, both new and ancient, some stretching so high a ladder was required to reach them.

"We have prepared a room on the ground floor to accommodate Mrs. Valentino's expectant condition," Igor explained as he led us into a large bedroom. A fire burned inside a brick fireplace, despite the pleasant temperature outside, but I couldn't deny the ambience was nice, and a window had been left open so the room didn't feel stuffy. "The master is preparing for tomorrow's events and sends his regrets that he will have to miss the evening meal. Before dinner is served however, refreshments will be brought to your room. Is there anything in particular you would enjoy?"

"I'd love a mineral water, if you have it," I said.

"Bring several," Vincent added. "We're up about twelve thousand feet, here."

"Twelve thousand two hundred and six, sir."

Igor bowed out of the room, and I walked to the bed to inspect it and touch the thick comforter. It looked and felt like brushed suede, embellished with an armload of overstuffed pillows. The headboard was carved from planks of bleached wood, fitted together like the bones of a mammoth animal. The effect was eerie but incredibly beautiful.

Vincent shook his head as he looked at the screen of his phone. "Just as I thought. No cell reception here either. We lost it about three miles before turning off the main road. Which means I'll have to fly if I want to get a message to anyone."

"But shouldn't Christoph and the others be here already? I thought the plan was for them to move in when we leave."

"Plans can change. I didn't expect Dmitry to stand us up for dinner. I'd like to know what events he's preparing for."

As Vincent spoke, I walked over to the window to take a look at our view. Although the dark had nearly swallowed the sky, I could see well enough, and my mouth fell open as my gaze landed on an unbelievable sight. "Vincent, you need to see this."

Vincent joined me, and I heard his quick intake of breath as he, too, gaped in wonder. Below the window, the terrain sloped sharply downward, leaving the mansion standing at the edge of a precipice. It was shallow enough that a fall from the window wouldn't be fatal, but it wasn't the cliff that had us both shocked. It was the labyrinth that lay below it, stretching as far as the eye could see.

"Now that's what I call a maze," I said as I traced the turns and circular paths with my gaze. Some walls were made of thick hedges and some of stone, with doors interspersed throughout, each one appearing to lead to a dead end or a false trail. There were also statues, and some definitely had wings.

Vincent huffed as he leaned over the windowsill. "I don't like the looks of that. And something tells me we're going to get a closer view of it."

We didn't find out if Vincent was right until the next day. After being treated like royalty and enjoying a five course dinner, without the presence of our mysterious host, summer solstice dawned with a perky blue sky that felt strangely ominous.

Our attentive staff brought us breakfast on the balcony overlooking the maze, and when Vincent asked if we would see Dmitry anytime soon, the skittish maid told us the master was making preparations for a grand evening. After which, she invited us to enjoy the sprawling manor as long as we steered clear of the labyrinth.

While Vincent investigated Dmitry's extensive collection of classics in the massive library, I took a nap. Over the past four months, our baby had behaved like a saddled maverick, kicking me in the organs at every opportunity. But the little tyke had been uncharacteristically calm since we'd arrived at the estate. I tried to see it as a welcome reprieve, but I couldn't help taking it as an omen. Of course, being miles from the nearest cell tower, I couldn't just pick up the phone and call Dr. Hardwick, and it had me worrying rather than sleeping.

"Reese, you awake?" I'd already heard Vincent enter the room, and I rolled over as he sat on the bed.

"Yes. Is everything okay?"

"Well, maybe not everything." His eyebrows were knitted, and he had the same look he wore during Mr. Pearlman's memorial. "I may have stumbled upon something I wasn't supposed to."

"Really? Something inside the library?"

"No. I got bored with the library about twenty minutes in and started snooping around the estate. I saw one of the staff taking a tray of food down a hidden flight of stairs, so I decided to follow her."

"Don't tell me the stairs lead to a dungeon."

I expected Vincent to scoff, but when his sober expression didn't change, I bit my lip.

"Actually, I think the rooms might have been used to imprison people once. Now, they seem to be holding cells for... Well, I think I found where Dmitry keeps his zombie minions."

"Shit." My body stiffened, but I refrained from touching my belly. "What should we do? How many did you see? We need to warn Christoph."

Vincent shushed me as he pressed his finger to my lips. "I couldn't get a head count from where I was standing, but I'm guessing there are at least thirty...about five per cell. Don't worry. I'll get a message to Christoph somehow."

My stomach did a backflip, but baby Valentino didn't react. At least one of us was remaining calm.

"There's another thing I need to tell you, although I would rather not." He held me in a steady gaze, and I started to feel lightheaded. I took ahold of his hand, squeezing gently.

"Just spit it out."

Pursing his lips, Vincent let too much time pass before finally releasing a painful sigh. "Your grandfather is among them. But he hasn't been turned. I heard him talking to the maid. The rest of them don't appear to have the ability to speak."

"Willem..." I breathed out the name, not believing it even though it made sense. "He must have been captured by Dmitry's demons in New York... When he followed the one that attacked him and Titan."

"That was my guess, as well. And I'm thinking Dmitry is not planning to train him as household staff."

I gasped when I realized what Vincent was driving at. "He's going to turn Willem once he has the cube." My fists went rigid in my lap, and I spoke through my teeth. "Like hell he will. I won't let that happen."

"We won't, but this changes things a bit. Dmitry is clearly planning something for this evening, and I'm sure he's going to have all of his bases covered. So, I don't think I'll be able to sneak away to send a message. We'll just have to play things by ear. Most importantly, I want you to leave the rescues to Christoph and his comrades. You just keep yourself and our baby safe. Is that clear?"

Still feeling blinded by the intensity of his silver headlights, I nodded mutely, and Vincent reached out to brush a strand of hair off my face. "You are my world, Reese. Remember that. If anything happened to you, my life would be over."

Although his words fell on me like blocks of stone, I couldn't help the smirk that lifted my lips. "Way to lay on the guilt. I get it. I won't try to rescue my grandfather in my enormously pregnant state."

"That's my girl."

There was a knock at the door, and a voice called from the other side. "Mr. and Mrs. Valentino?"

"Yes?" Vincent answered.

"The master will see you now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

330K 12.5K 83
"Leave, you're free. Don't ever come back here again." She said, hoping he wouldn't return and she'll get to live Hael was shocked, "Are you abandon...
197K 14.9K 16
𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐱 𝐑𝐮𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐤𝐬𝐡 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 ~By 𝐊𝐚𝐣𝐮ꨄ︎...
2.7M 222K 95
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...
261K 31.7K 17
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...