The Bachelor

By Polu1998

Manik Malhotra-the only son of India's leading business tycoon, is famous for his short temper and numerous f... More

The Suitor
#1. The Pop Star
#2. The Model
#3. The Friend
#4. The Monster's Star
#5. The Secret
#6. The Escape
#7. The Fanatic
Chapter 1: Lights, Camera, Explosion!
Chapter 2 : The Angry Young Malhotra
Chapter 3 : Eavesdropping is Not a Sin...
Chapter 4: Delinquent Thoughts
Chapter 5 : A Ball To Remember
Chapter 6 : After-Party Showdowns
New Story
Chapter 7 : Denial?
New Story
Chapter 8 : The Much-Awaited Pool Party
Chapter 9 : A Roller Coaster Of Emotions
Chapter 11 : The Best Friend's Approval
New Story
Chapter 12 : Acceptance?
New Story
Chapter 13 : Surprise, Surprise.
Chapter 14: On the Horns Of a Dilemma
New Story
New Story
New OS & SS
Chapter 15: Betrayal?

Chapter 10 : The Illusion Of Choice

5.6K 667 371
By Polu1998

8:30 am , 24th February, Galaxy Villa, Madh Island, Mumbai.

The bed. It smells so different. A little musky, a little masculine...I kind of like it...

It definitely doesn't smell like mine...

I fluttered my eyelashes open and rubbed the sides of my eyelids. I rose slightly from the bed and gasped when I realized that the surroundings were completely alien to me.

I looked around to find myself in a king sized bed with a velvet duvet. To the left, there was a large mirror and a dressing table with a dozen different bottles of cologne and aftershave. To the right, there was a large balcony, overlooking the pool. The doors were adorned with silky curtains of dark hues.

In short, the room didn't resemble the little shoe-box that I'd been assigned in any shape or form, whatsoever!

Where the hell have you landed up, Nandini? I asked myself.

I got out from under the duvet, and immediately saw something that confirmed my worst fear! The clothes Manik had worn last night had been thrown on the floor carelessly.

I was in Manik Malhotra's bedroom!

I cupped my face in my hands as I pondered upon the events of last night. Manik had come to my room because he hadn't been able to sleep...then we'd both dozed off on my bed...

So, how the fuck had I been magically teleported to his room?!

Had Manik and I...had we?

No! Absolutely not! If anything had happened between us, I would've remembered. It's not like I was drunk or anything...

Besides, Manik was a lot of things, but I didn't think he was one to take advantage of someone in that way.

I continued to rack my brain for a few more moments. All of a sudden, the door of the bathroom clicked open and Manik emerged from it, dripping wet with nothing but a scanty towel around his waist.

Holy shit! My eyes widened as I watched him take steps towards the mirror, while using another hand towel in order to dry his hair.

There were drops of water trickling down his abdominal muscles and the way his clavicles sunk slightly as he flexed his arms was just so darn...sexy...

Ugh! Nandini! Stop gaping at him! You're mad at him remember?! It has to be his fault you're in this room!

I strengthened my resolve, and shot up from the bed. I balanced myself on the overly spongey mattress and said in the firmest voice I could manage. "Manik! What the hell am I doing in your room?! How did I get here? What stupid trick are you trying to pull now?!"

He had turned around the moment he'd heard my voice. The more questions I asked, the larger the smirk on his face grew.

"Manik! Answer me!" I yelled.

He slowly walked towards me, and stood barely a step away from me. He raised one of his hands up and brought it to the level of my head.

I was growing increasingly puzzled at his actions. It was only when he retracted his hand and held it at the level of his own head that I realized what he was doing.

This monster was making fun of my height!

"Yeah. I think, from now on, this is how we should talk. With you standing on the bed. It's far easier for me. I have been developing a crick in my neck in the last few days you know...due to craning it down way too much..." Manik chuckled.

I gave him a nasty look in response. Why had God made me such a little person?! Even though I was standing on the bed, I was still barely an inch taller than Manik.

No! It's not me! He's the giant!

"Listen, Godzilla! Why am I in your room?!" I spat.

"Woh kya hai na, the bed in your room was so small, that I wasn't able to sleep comfortably! So, I tried to come back to my room, but you...you were talking in your sleep, you know..." He said, with his eyebrows dancing.

I'd been talking in my sleep?! What?

Manik cleared his throat and said in an effeminate voice in a bid to imitate me. "Manik...please mujhe chhod ke mat jaana...mujhe darr lag raha hai...please..."

My face immediately reddened when I heard his words. Had my nightmares really resulted in me becoming that paranoid?! This was beyond embarrassing!

A moment later, Manik burst out laughing and exclaimed. "Look at you! Look at your face! It's epic! You actually believed me!"

What the hell?! He'd been playing a prank on me?!

I groaned in frustration and picked up the nearest pillow I could find and flung it at him with the maximum strength I had!

"I let you into my room, and this is what I get?! You're such a monster, Manik!!" I screamed as I threw another pillow at him.

"Listen, what are you doing? Nandini...stop it!" He said as he dodged the second pillow.

However, I was in no mood to calm down! I picked up all the cushions and hurtled them at him one after the other.

He seemed extremely annoyed by this, which just gave me more of an incentive to continue...

He quickly came forward and caught hold of my arms, resulting in me struggling to get out of his grip.

"I'll kill you!" I gritted my teeth at him as I tried to yank my wrists out of his grasp.

I wasn't about to give up so easily! I'd made a mistake letting my guard down with him last night.

I continued to push him off with all my might, but the soft mattress of the bed wasn't helping my case. Suddenly, my foot twisted in such a way that I lost my balance!

I yelped as I found myself falling over and shut my eyes, for fear of the impact. I fully expected my bottom to hurt substantially once I hit the ground, but no such thing happened.

I opened my eyes in confusion only to find myself in Manik's arms. He'd caught me on time and thankfully, because of it, I had zero cracked bones.

I gulped as I realized that I was clutching his bare chest with both my palms. I suddenly remembered one of the errant thoughts I'd had when I'd seen Manik at the gym. I'd imagined how it would be to feel his chest beneath my palms...and now it was actually happening...

I drew my hands back awkwardly, and finally mustered up the courage to look up and meet his gaze.

When I saw the intensity in those orbs, my throat ran dry. That innately carnal look that I'd seen in his eyes two nights ago was back...

I couldn't take it...the way he was looking at me...it was messing with my hormones...

The fresh scent of his body wash was invading my senses as well, which made him all the more alluring.

Come on, Nandini! Look away! Look at the door, the window, the fan...up at the ceiling...down at the floor...anywhere, except into his eyes...

I must have seemed like an indecisive cock-eyed idiot, due to my actions!

However, his voice forced me to look at him once more.

"I woke up last night, and realized that I'd kind of been squashing you. Your bed was just too small. I tried to leave, so that you'd be more comfortable. I don't know how it happened, but we'd somehow ended up in a position where you had a really tight grip around my chest. I didn't want to wake you...you just looked too peaceful...so I carried you here instead because I have a bigger bed?" He completed his explanation in a slightly quavering voice.

And just like that, all my anger and annoyance seemed to vanish into thin air.

I began smiling as I looked up at him. I thought I detected a hint of mortification in his eyes. Maybe, even he was alarmed by his sudden bouts of sweetness.

A ghost of a smile crept up on his face as well, as we looked at each other.

I didn't exactly realize how many seconds had passed, but our little moment was interrupted by a hoarse voice at the door.

"Manik, have you woken up? The production team wants to speak with you. Manik?" The voice at the door said.

Frown lines cropped up on Manik's face immediately when he heard the voice. He set me down on the floor and walked towards the door muttering under his breath. "Fuck! Ab iss ghode ko kya chahiye?!"

I chuckled slightly, but I mentally thanked Manik's docile manager for intruding. If he hadn't...well...best not to think of it!

That's when I realized that I couldn't let the manager spot me in Manik's room! I quickly went and hid behind one of the gargantuan curtains as Manik opened the door ever so slightly.

"Manik...the production team wants to talk to you regarding the elimination ceremony. Especially after what happened last night." The manager said, as he tried to enter.

"Kya maine tujhe andar bulaaya?" Manik asked in an intimidating manner.

"Um...no...nahi..." The manager stuttered.

I stifled a laugh while I stayed hidden. Normally I wouldn't condone bullying, but Manik's habit of bossing his own manager around was really amusing! Besides, these were the moments when Manik let go of his steely classiness to behave exactly as a regular Punjabi boy would.

"I'll be there in one hour! Ab chal phut yahaan se!" Manik exclaimed as he began closing the door.

"But..but..." the manager tried to reply, but he was too late. Manik had already slammed the door shut.

"Why do you talk to him like that?" I giggled as I asked Manik the question.

I stepped out from behind the curtain to face him.

"Because he's nothing but Mr Malhotra's lackey! You won't get it..." He huffed, as he went towards the dressing table.

"Anyway...you better get going. It looks like the elimination ceremony is going to happen soon." He said.

The elimination ceremony...I had some mixed feelings about it. Did I want to go home today? Did I want to stay? I wasn't sure anymore...

I walked to the door as I collected my thoughts. Just as I was about to open the door, I heard Jeff and Rose discussing something outside.

Shit! Now what was I supposed to do? I couldn't let anyone see me coming out of Manik's room! What would they think of me?

"Ugh! Manik! You shouldn't have brought me here! How will I escape without others noticing me?! What will they think?!" I groaned in frustration.

"I don't care what they think. But I know, you do...so you'll figure out a way, I'm sure. I've already shut the door to your room, so that people think you're still inside." He said, with a smirk.

A new wave of irritation went through me when I heard him.

Suddenly, my eyes fell on the verandah and I realized that my room was barely ten to twelve steps away if I climbed out the balcony. All I had to do was climb out of the verandah and walk on the ledge for a few steps, before climbing through the window of my room.

"Got it!" I said, as I made my way to the balcony ledge.

Manik looked a little alarmed as he saw me nearing it.

"What the hell are you up to?" He asked.

He had slipped his pants on while I was scanning the balcony. Thank heavens, I'd been distracted!

"I'm going to climb over and go into my room through the window?" I clarified.

"What? I thought you were supposed to be smart! Do you want to fall and break your bones? Just abandon this stupid plan and go out through the door!" He said, as he slipped on his vest.

"I can't! The girls are still having some sort of round table conference outside!" I could now hear Riddhima's voice as well.

"And I don't need you worrying about me, so just give it a rest will you? I'll be fine!" I answered firmly.

"Says the girl who was going to fall from the bed and injure herself two minutes ago!" Manik said in a sarcastic voice.

I ignored his words and went closer to the railing to climb over.

"Wait!" I heard Manik's voice.

I turned around to see him walking towards me.

"I know I'm going to regret this." He said with an eye roll.

I was fairly confused as to what he was referring to.

He finally turned his back to me and said. "Get on. It's better I get you to your room in one piece, rather than you falling and causing a medical emergency on set due to your stubbornness! We've had enough of those already!"

At first, I wanted to flatly refuse his offer. But, it was his fault I was in this soup in the first place! He might as well help me get out of it!

I hopped onto his back, wrapped my arms around his shoulder and my legs around his waist.

"Let's see if those gym workouts are actually of any use, Malhotra!" I taunted as I tightened my grip on him.

He merely chuckled and climbed over the metallic railing of the balcony with surprising ease. It was as if I weighed nothing at all!

"You bet they are, doll!" He said as he tightened his hold on the wall.

I looked downwards at the pool and gulped. Maybe, I had underestimated the height of the first floor...the pool seemed freakishly small from up here.

The ledge leading up to my room was barely fifteen inches wide, and about twelve feet long. However, the long strides that Manik took made us reach my room in barely a few seconds.

"This is your room, right?" Manik said as he halted and turned around slightly so that I could climb in through the window, which thankfully, I'd kept open the previous night in order to let some fresh air in.

"Yeah..." I said as I quickly opened the window wide, and crawled inside.

Maybe being tiny had its advantages after all!

I finally jumped into my room and sighed in relief. I adjusted my pajamas because the edges of my pants had gotten folded, exposing my calves.

I turned around to see Manik still waiting at the ledge.

I went forward to shut the window and heard him say. "Aren't you going to thank me?"

I stuck my head out slightly and said, giving him a fake smile. "Hardly!"

"Have it your way, then..." He said as he lunged forward and captured my lips with his own, sending me into a state of abject shock.

I could feel the pressure of his lips on mine, and my brain told me to push him off, but I realized that if I did, he'd fall to his death in a matter of seconds. There was something else...maybe...I...didn't altogether...want to?

He finally let go of me a second later, and my face was red with embarrassment.

"Why did you do that?" I asked with a scrunched up face.

"Because you owed me a kiss since last night..." He said, winking at me, before he disappeared from my spectrum of vision.

I crashed on my bed and groaned in annoyance.

However, I swallowed, when I realized that I'd take this kiss over a hypothetical one last night, any day...

The kiss that he'd stolen from me presently had been a harmless one, but last night had been different and both of us knew it...

I'd felt emotionally connected to him, and if we had kissed it wouldn't have been just that...it would have been more...and the thought scared the shit out of me...

****************************

10 am, 24th February, Galaxy Villa, Madh Island, Mumbai.

"Manik, you're late!" Amir croaked as I approached the living room, where the discussion with the production team was about to go down.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance as I sat down on the couch and ignored Amir completely.

Well, Nandini had kept me pretty busy for a fairly long time, due to her stupid plan. That girl's about as clumsy as they come. She even stomped on my foot a bunch of times when we were dancing the other night! Did she really think she'd get to her room in one piece by walking on the ledge?!

I still remembered her expression of absolute surprise when I'd kissed her earlier today!

I smiled slightly at the memory. I'd wanted to kiss her last night...my urge to do so was fairly strong...I thought she wanted to as well...

But at the last moment, she had wiggled out of my grip and run away.

I couldn't quite put my finger on the emotion I'd felt right at that moment. Was it disappointment? Or irritation at being rejected, maybe?

I didn't know exactly...the feeling was new.

"Manik, good that you're here. The Channel head, Mr. Raj Nayak, has just arrived. He wishes to speak with you about a certain matter." The director said to me, with his posse of A.Ds in the background.

Really? The channel head? I thought the meeting would just be some routine suggestions that had cropped up after the first episode had aired on television. I already knew the show was a hit from the social media trends because unlike the rest of the contestants, I possessed my phone at all times. So what major issue had a big shot like the channel head come to discuss?!

"Manik Malhotra?" I heard a deep voice say from the side.

I looked to my left to spot a dignified man dressed in formals. He seemed to have a team of staff members behind him.

As soon as I was about to open my mouth, the director rushed to the man's side, and said. "Raj sir...aaiye...please sit down!"

The man walked to the couch opposite to mine and took his seat as the crew members remained standing.

In fact, I was the only one who was still seated at the very same spot.

"Manik , I'm Raj Nayak. Head of Colors T.V." He said with an air of importance, as he extended his hand for me to shake.

I shook it apprehensively and asked. "What brings you here, Mr Nayak?"

"Actually, I came here to make a request...well not exactly a request...I've come here to inform you about a decision that the channel has made about the show." He said, slightly shiftily.

"And what decision is this?" I asked in a flustered voice.

I couldn't take the suspense any longer!

Mr Nayak took a deep breath and finally said. "We've decided to retain Soha Khurrana as one of the top three contestants. She will be staying till the last episode..."

The frown lines on my face became more prominent, but I ultimately ended up laughing raucously.

"As if this show wasn't enough of an aberration already! Now you want to manipulate the end results as well? The next thing I know, you'll drag me to a temple and force me to get married then and there. Complete with the ludicrous 'saath phere' business! The whole shebang! Am I wrong?!" My voice grew increasingly aggressive as I continued my tirade.

"Manik, calm down. No one is asking you to actually choose her as the winner. Just make sure she's in the top three. You still have immense freedom..." He said in a polite manner.

"Freedom? Are you fucking kidding me?! There's no way I'm tolerating that girl for even one more episode! That girl is a troublemaker! And I signed a contract, which states it's my decision to eliminate whomever I want!" I roared, as I clenched my fists in anger.

"Manik, the contract clauses were subject to terms and conditions. And unfortunately, when the channel takes a decision, you are supposed to abide by it. The girl might be a troublemaker, but her father, Mr. Avinash Khurana's funding is invaluable. He's invested enough to provide us capital for three joint venture prime-time shows." He said, in a slightly guilty but relieved voice. "It's really aided us in competing with Star T.V."

"And you honestly think I give a rat's ass about your competition with Star TV?! I'll sue your bloody channel as well as the makers of the show! I will..." I trailed off as a realization dawned on me.

"Are you saying that my father knew about these so called exceptional conditions?" I spat.

"Yes, Manik. We did have a discussion about them with him..." Mr Nayak confessed.

I felt anger coursing through my veins as I got up from my seat and stormed off from there.

"Manik. It's not good to leave a meeting like this..." Amir tried to say.

I gave him one aggressive look and that was enough to make him buckle.

I quickly entered my room and yanked my cell phone out of my cupboard.

I dialed Mr. Malhotra's number as quickly as I could and prepared myself for the argument that was about to ensue.

He picked up the phone in two rings and said in an excruciatingly calm voice. "What is it, Manik? I'm in a meeting."

"Mr Malhotra! How dare you? How dare you make me sign a contract with such preposterous conditions? You said it was my decision to eliminate the girls!" I screamed into the phone.

"Manik. What's the issue? Who are they asking you to retain on the show?" He said in a bored voice.

"Soha Khurana! There's no way I'm keeping her on! That girl is delusional! Talk to the channel head right now and say that I won't shoot for the show anymore, if they don't withdraw this stupid condition!" I growled.

"I'm doing no such thing, Manik. If they're keeping her on, I'm sure they are getting something out of it." Mr. Malhotra said matter-of-factly.

"Of course they are! Avinash Khurana's money! But you and I both know that you have enough money to buy the Khuranas out ten times over and still have enough to last several generations!" I gritted my teeth as I spoke.

"Ten times? Not really...you should pay more attention during the annual turnover analysis meetings, Manik. It's more like twenty-two times." Mr Malhotra said, a hint of pride in his voice.

I groaned in frustration as I answered him. "Do as I say, or else I will..."

"Or else, you'll what, Manik? Walk out of the show? You and I both know you have way too much to lose. You really want to give everything up? The music label? Oh, and let's not forget the matter of investing in Sameer Anand's company. I might forget that we ever had that conversation, if you stop shooting..." He said, coolly.

"Mr. Malhotra! Did you not hear what I said? The girl's a nut job! Get rid of her, right now!" I bellowed.

"I truly think you're overthinking things, Manik. I've met her a bunch of times at different parties. She seemed quite smitten with you, actually. I think she'd be a perfect wife to you. She comes from a well-off family as well. In fact, I think she's the one you should choose as the winner. She matches the social status of our family, you know? So, like I said...I'm not even going to lift a finger to get rid of her..." He said, proudly.

I shut my eyes and tried to control my breathing. My insides felt like they were about to explode! I gripped the phone tighter in my hand, as I brought it down from my ears.

I threw it on the floor with enormous force, smashing it into a thousand pieces. I went to my dressing table and threw all the glass bottles on the floor in one swipe.

Mr Malhotra had crossed all limits this time! I hadn't felt so much hate and anger towards him in a long while. His money, his status, that's all that mattered to him! He would even have me marry someone as delusional as Soha, just in order to keep up the charade of the 'perfect family' in the eyes of the media.

The aggression began to overpower me entirely. I ripped up the bed sheets as well as the pillows. I threw all the show pieces on the ground as well, until the floor of my room was covered with a layer of rubble.

I noticed a few drops of blood trickling down my palm, probably due to a stray glass piece that had scratched it. However, I felt numb. The physical pain didn't seem to exist.

I stood in front of the mirror and placed my palm on the dresser, aggravating the cut on it.

It took a minute or two, but my breathing eventually returned to a state of normalcy.

I couldn't give up so easily. I couldn't go down without a fight.

If they needed Soha on the show, I'd keep her all right! I'd just never speak a single word to her ever again!

No matter how unfairly the scales were tipped in Mr. Malhotra's favour, I still had to play the game. I still had to win.

And win I would, irrespective of the cost.

******************************

11:30 am, 24th February, Galaxy Villa, Madh Island, Mumbai.

"So, who do you think he's going to eliminate?" Rose shrieked in a voice filled with nervousness and mild excitement.

I smiled at her eagerness. Honestly, I was still confused about the elimination. I wanted to sort things out with Aryaman, but there was still a tiny part of me that wanted to stay. Maybe, it had something to do with the teeny-weeny and immensely annoying crush I'd started developing on Manik!

"Honestly, Rose, after the comments Soha made yesterday, and seeing how angry Manik was because of them, I'll be surprised if he eliminates anyone else." Jeff said.

"Alright girls, you know the drill. Stand in a line...Manik is almost here." The director screamed.

All the girls stood uniformly in line. I found Alya standing next to me. She seemed a little nervous about the outcome of the ceremony.

I patted her on the shoulder gently and said. "Hey. Don't worry! I'm sure you'll be safe."

She gave me a slight smile and said. "I hope so."

"Alright, Manik is here! Be ready, everyone, and the cameras start rolling in three...two...one...go!" The director screamed gesturing at Raghav to start the proceedings.

"Hello! My name is Raghav Rai and welcome to another episode of 'The Bachelor'-powered by Veet! As you all know, the elimination ceremony scheduled for last night was unable to take place due to a certain accident that had ensued on set. To all the devoted members of the audience, we apologise sincerely for the delay. We know how excited you are to find out about the top six contestants. So without further ado, let's welcome the suitor -the ever charismatic-Manik Malhotra!" Raghav exclaimed.

I scoffed as I heard the word 'accident'. Nice cover story!

I watched Manik as he entered the garden area where we'd assembled.

As soon as I noticed his expression, I could tell that something was off. It wasn't overly obvious though. He had the same arrogant smirk plastered on his face when he walked up to Raghav, but the usual spark and amusement I'd seen in eyes each time he'd walked in, seemed missing. His smirk seemed fake and laboured.

He finally stood next to the table that had only six roses on it, one for each of the safe contestants.

"So Manik, any thoughts before you choose the top six?" Raghav asked Manik, by passing the wireless mike to him.

Manik swallowed slightly before he said. "It's been a truly difficult decision this time. Especially since I've gotten to know the girls a whole lot better in the last two days...I'll truly have a heavy heart bidding goodbye to one of them, today."

Unlike the speech from his first elimination, where he sounded all but hollow and mocking, his words seemed to have a ring of truth to them this time.

What had happened? Why was he behaving like this? I was fairly certain, he'd eliminate Soha just as Jeff had predicted. So why was the decision weighing down on him?

"Shall we begin, Manik?" Raghav asked in a somber voice.

"Yes." Manik shrugged.

He picked up a rose from the counter and said after taking a deep breath. "Jeff."

Jeff immediately walked up to Manik with a twinkle in her eye.

"Will you stay and accept this rose?" He smiled at her.

Jeff accepted it in an instant and gave Manik a friendly hug.

I wasn't surprised by his first pick. I already knew how well Jeff and him gelled together.

Jeff stood to the side as he picked up the second rose.

I was a bit shocked to hear the next name.

"Nandini." Manik said, in a low voice.

I looked towards Manik and Raghav and saw both of them angling their eyes in my direction. So, I hadn't imagined it.

I swallowed and walked up to Manik.

He held out the rose and asked in a slightly shaky voice. "Will you please stay and accept this rose?"

There was something in his eyes that I couldn't quite understand. It was almost as if he were pleading me to stay...like he needed me...

Maybe it was due to the fact that he was afraid to experience this ordeal alone...after all, I knew that he hated being a part of this show just as much as I did...or was it something else?

At that moment I had no idea what possessed me, but I ended up answering in the affirmative.

"I will." I said, as I took the rose from him.

I stood to the side and watched as the tension in his shoulders subsided slightly.

The next person he saved was Inaaya. I had seen them sharing a dance last night, so this didn't seem like a surprise either.

Men never outgrow their, horniness, I suppose.

I smiled as I heard the next name- Alya's.

She accepted the rose with the utmost satisfaction, blushing all the while. And for the first time, Manik didn't give her a cold shoulder and remained cordial.

The next girl to be saved was Riddhima. It grew increasingly obvious as to who Manik was going to eliminate! It would be Soha! Without a doubt!

I could see Soha grow increasingly nervous and agitated, as the ceremony progressed. It served her right! Her sick mentality and obsession with Manik was too much to bear!

Manik picked up the last rose on the table, and stood surprisingly still.

"Take your time Manik. We know it's a tough call." Raghav said.

He might have sounded like he was consoling Manik, but it was really code for 'wrap this shit up soon!'"

Manik finally took a deep breath and said. "Soha."

I couldn't believe my ears! And frankly neither could the other contestants. Soft murmurs broke out from the contestants, but we were immediately shushed by Raghav.

Soha pranced up to Manik in an over-excited manner and Rose's face fell, on cue. I felt really bad for her. She might not have been the smartest of the girls or the most beautiful, but I'd miss her chirpiness around the house. Besides, at least she was a decent human being! The same could not be said for Soha!

I observed the sheer rage and hatred in Manik's eyes when Soha stood in front him and batted her eyelashes.

"Will you accept this rose?" Manik muttered under his breath, with flared nostrils.

He might as well have been saying "Fuck off!"

However, Soha didn't seem to be perturbed by this at all. She tried to accept the rose immediately, but it seemed like Manik had a tight grip on it.

One of the thorns in the stem scratched Soha in the process and she winced in pain.

"Ouch!" She exclaimed.

Manik gave her the rose and said in a steely voice. "Sorry."

He wasn't. Anyone with a decent pair of eyes could tell that he'd done it purposely. But Soha didn't seem to notice.

All of a sudden, Manik's earlier behaviour started to make sense. He was upset and angry that he hadn't been able to eliminate Soha.

But why? He clearly despised her! Was he being pressurized to modify his decisions?!

Rose was now shedding silent tears. Manik walked up to her, his manner oozing with guilt.

"I'm sorry Rose. Your journey ends here. I just...I just don't think that we're meant to be, you know?" Manik said, in an apologetic voice, as Rose's sobs grew louder.

"But that doesn't mean that you should give up hope, Rose! You have the potential to become one of the top models of the country and you'll find your prince charming, one day as well..." Manik consoled her as he wiped her tears.

It was only now that I realised why women were so taken with him. It wasn't only his looks, or his money. He had great instincts. He knew just the right thing to say at the right time, and watching him comfort Rose was proof of that. It was just like how he'd comforted me last night.

He took Rose in a soft hug as she cried against his chest.

"I'll miss you...and your surprisingly horrible versions of item songs!" He said.

She began to giggle slightly and wiped her tears away as best as she could after standing upright.

"I'll miss you too, Manik. And next time we meet, I'll sing 'Fevicol se!'" She said, giving a slight smile.

It seemed like she was finally at peace with his decision, and Manik chuckled at her response.

Rose came forward to bid us all goodbye. I gave her a tight hug as she whispered an 'All the best!' into my ear.

Just as Rose was saying goodbye to Alya, Alya took out a visiting card from her pocket and handed it over to her.

"Rose. That's my number right there. I'd love it if you were the leading face of my fashion line. Give me a call once the show's over?" Alya asked, smiling.

"OMG! Alya! You want me to model for you?! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Rose squealed as she gave Alya a tight hug.

"You're welcome." Alya giggled as she returned the hug.

Maybe, things hadn't turned so bad for Rose after all!

After she made an exit, the director screamed into his megaphone. "And, that's a wrap! Contestants are free to leave! The props team, meet me this instant."

I was about to walk away when I spotted Manik a few feet away.

I had to talk to him. I wanted to know why he'd chosen Soha over Rose, when he clearly didn't want to!

I walked up to him in a fairly intimidating manner.

"Manik, what was that? Why did you eliminate Rose and save Soha?" I asked.

"Because I wanted to." Manik said evasively, as he took a sip of water from a bottle.

"Bullshit! You looked like you wanted to burn Soha alive!" I scoffed.

"Tell me...why are you doing this? Did something happen? Did your manager or the director say something?" I asked.

I still got no answer from him, as he continued to drink water, nonchalantly.

I gulped as I proposed another possibility. "Or was it...your father?"

Manik's expression darkened all of a sudden.

"That's none of your business." He said coldly, as he turned to leave.

I wasn't going to let him go that easily! I needed answers!

I held him by his hand and pulled him back to his spot.

To my surprise, he emitted a subdued cry when I pressed his right hand.

I immediately looked down and found a fairly large cut on it. It was still fresh and after I'd pressed it, blood began seeping out of it once more.

"Manik? How did this happen? And why haven't you put a band-aid on it?" I asked in a mixed tone of worry and irritation.

His eyes softened for a split second, before he replied, harshly. "Why do you even care if I'm bleeding or not?"

He yanked his hand out of my grasp.

I huffed in frustration and held it up to examine it again.

Instead of giving him a straight answer, I shot another question back at him. "Why do you care if I fall from a ledge and break my bones?"

He seemed a little perplexed by my question.

He continued to stare at me curiously, and I refused to concede first, and turn my gaze away.

We were finally interrupted by another voice in the background.

"Manik?" Alya's voice loomed behind us.

Manik immediately looked to the side, and drew his hand back.

"Yes?" He asked.

"I just wanted to thank you for saving me in this elimination round." Alya said, cheerfully.

She was about to walk away, when Manik called out to her.

"Alya? I wanted to thank you for what you did for Rose. I felt really bad eliminating her today...It's great that she has such a big modelling assignment to look forward to..." He said, running his left palm through his hair.

Alya merely smiled and said. "Don't thank me Manik. I only did it because it was the right decision for my fashion line. People are bored of seeing the same perfectly skinny models on billboards and magazine covers. We need to promote every body type and Rose is honestly the perfect choice for it. Besides, I did it for my own peace of mind. It'll help more girls be comfortable in their own skin...and that includes me..."

I looked at Manik and saw a genuine look of admiration for Alya on his face.

Suddenly, I felt like an intruder in their conversation.

I swallowed, turned around and made off from there silently, without disturbing them.

As I walked away, the feeling of discomfort that I'd felt the previous night upon seeing them kiss grew stronger and stronger.

********************************

12:30 pm, 24th February, Galaxy Villa, Madh Island, Mumbai.

I skipped around the garden, holding the rose Manik had given me in my hand.

I was on cloud nine! Dad had come through! He'd done something, so that Manik wouldn't eliminate me...

No! Soha! No! It's not because of your father that Manik asked you to stay.

I knew it! I knew he would soon realise that we were meant to be...and him choosing me in the top six was proof of that.

Inaaya had just filled my brain with insecurities unnecessarily! The sweet manner in which Manik had offered me the rose was surely because he liked me too!

I heard a few claps in the background as I stopped swaying about.

"Amazing! I don't know how you pulled it off! But I must say, hats off!" Inaaya's voice emanated from the background.

My mood aggravated the moment I turned around to set my eyes on her.

"What are you talking about?" I asked in nasty voice.

"You saved yourself from elimination, even though the odds were stacked against you! I'm impressed!" She said with a smirk.

"I did nothing. Manik wanted me to stay...that's why he didn't eliminate me!" I said, firmly.

"Sure, honey." She scoffed. "Let's not pretend that you didn't use your dad's influence to stay...Either way, I don't care about that. Now that you're here. Tell me, what's the plan? Who are we planning to knock out of the race and how?"

I sniggered at her question. She'd finally brought up an interesting topic!

I'd made careful observations over the last few days and had zeroed in on two easy targets.

"Jeff and Riddhima. They are both hiding something." I said.

"How are you so sure?" She asked curiously.

"It's pretty obvious. Riddhima's passive aggressive, which clearly shows that she's under some sort of stress. And Jeff...well...haven't you noticed something weird about her interactions with Manik?" I asked, with raised eyebrows.

"Um...they seem to be really pally with each other...almost as if she were his sister..." Inaaya answered.

"Exactly. And why would a girl bro-zone someone like Manik?" I asked.

"You mean she's..." Inaaya was about to complete her sentence when I interrupted her.

"Exactly. So, she needs to be exposed. Manik as well as the whole country should know that she's nothing but a disgusting dyke."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

477K 37.4K 57
Its a story of a billionaire boy name manik malhotra who fall in love with nandini moorthy. She is beautiful but he is also handsome hunk of the coll...
867K 38.9K 36
Manik Malhotra is famous industrialist, perfect man, perfect son, perfect husband of swathi. A pure angry arrogant and very particular in office. As...
27.2K 2.1K 16
Hello guys am starting new story about our own Manan It's about manan's arrange marriage. Manik Malhotra rich, rude, arrogant,spoiled brat, egoisti...
703K 34.4K 56
ⲃⲓ𝓵𝓵ⲓⲟⲛⲁⲓꞅⲉ ⲥ𐌵ⲧⲉ ⲁⲛ𝓰ⲉ𝓵 It's a story of a billionaire who is waiting for a person who loves him only as Manik and a cute angel who wants family...