As Black As It Gets

By NJNJ14

(COMPLETE) Temah Amoah, an aspiring journalist and article editor joins one of the biggest companies that New... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Number 1!
Chapter 11
Chapter 11.5
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 13.5
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Wattys
New character contest!
Chapter 17
Chapter 18.1
Chapter 18.2
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 21.2
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Sweet Tooth update: Covers.
Chapter 28
Sweet Tooth out now!
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Help me out?
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
High school story?
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
New Book Alert!
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Guysss
Chapter 45.
Chapter 46
Epilogue
Last big Thank You
Violets Are Blue- Covers!
Violets Are Blue~ OUT NOW!
Blacker Than That ~ Out Now!
Newest Book: OUT NOW!

Chapter 10

21.7K 1.2K 197
By NJNJ14

Temah Amoah's POV.

^^Temah's outfit.

I walk into work on Monday morning with my both of my brothers, having given me a firm warning the weekend before, not to get into any trouble.

I refused to tell them about the phone call, but my sisters have been teasing me about it non-stop.

I say hello to Crystal and then step into the elevator, nervousness sitting in the pit of my stomach.

When I get to the floor, I step out of the elevator and walk into my office, peeling off my jacket.

I settle into the desk and get to work, starting up my laptop.

While I wait on it to load, I get up and go into the common room to get a cup of coffee.

When I get there, I see a couple other employees, Bryce among them.

He is speaking to one of the ladies on his team about a piece of typed up work and he is listening intently, giving her advice on what to change.

She's a light skinned lady with long brown curls to her back and light freckles on her face. Her petite frame makes her look like almost delicate.

She seems to take his advice, but is drooling over him a little, not even hiding her attraction to him, playing with her hair and making eyes at him, laughing after every other sentence.

He steps back slightly after the third giggle, trying not to grimace and then looks up to see me.

A wave of obvious relief washes over his face and he excuses himself, walking up to me and giving me a small hug.

I see the girl that Bryce was speaking to giving me a deep scowl, so I smile back and give her a 'smug' wink.

She can think what she wants.

She rolls her eyes and walks off, haughtily.

"Hey, Temah how was your weekend?" He asks, letting me pull away to look at him.

"Oh you have no idea" I joke and turn to the coffee maker which is filled with dark and rich smelling coffee, making me happier than I probably should be at the sight of a caffeinated beverage.

Bryce opens the cupboard and takes out a mug from the top shelf, handing it to me, before he takes out a mug for himself.

I wash the mugs and pour the coffee into them.

I add sugar to mine as well as a little bit of milk and watch in pure confusion and slight discomfort as Bryce just picks up his mug and drinks it like that.

"Bryce, are ya trying to go into cryptic shock?!" I ask exaggeratively.

He chuckles.

"I'm tired, I had a long weekend" he complained.

"What did you do?" I ask, remembering that I didn't even ask him.

"I spent it with Crystal" he says without hesitation.

I grin at him as he blushes slightly.

"Oh, damn okay!" I say, teasing him and poking at his arm.

He chuckles.

"I get why you're tired now" I say nudging him and grinning.

He winks and says "if you were me, you'd be tired too".

I laugh at him and then we say goodbye until lunchtime.

I go into my office and get on with my work, looking through all of Mr Coleman's appointments for the day and sifting out all of the appointments that I will be needed in and writing them down.

I'm a few minutes in, when the phone next to me rings.

I pick it on the third ring and speak into it.

"Mr Coleman" I greet.

"My office, please" he requests.

"Yes, sir" I respond and then hang up the phone.

I stand up and quickly make my way to his office, knocking twice.

"Come in" He says.

I enter his office and see him sitting at his desk, thick black glasses on his face as he writes something down.

"I'm giving you your first assignment" he says.

My heart jumps.

Yes! This is what I've been waiting for!

"We have a big story and you're going to edit it. You have until the company dinner to do so" He says.

"Thank you sir" I breathe.

He nods and then looks up at me.

He goes quiet for a second, letting his eyes drink in my entire frame.

An emotion that I don't catch quickly enough flits across his face and then it's gone.

"The dress code will be formal and you and we need to show up together." He tells me, taking off his glasses and putting them to one side.

"What's that all about, I mean... why do we have to show up together like that?" I ask.

He stands up and walks towards me.

"We're going together, because I need you to network with some huge investors along side me. It'll be good practice for you" he says.

He moves closer, but I hardly notice, too distracted by my own thoughts.

"Why me though, I mean why don't you network with Bryce, or- -" I start to say, when I'm cut off by his incredible closeness.

"I picked you because those men can never say 'no' to a pretty face on a witty assistant." He says, lowering his voice, making me feel a hot nervousness as well as intimidation and a slight longing for him to come closer to me.

He thinks I'm witty?

I know I'm pretty so hearing someone compliment my intelligence makes me very happy.

I back up slightly but he just moves forwards, a ghost of a little smirk forming on his beautiful face.

"That is, unless... Your boyfriend doesn't want you there unattended to?" he says nonchalantly.

I stifle a laugh and he looks at me as if I've lost it" I lean back and into the wall behind me.

"My boyfriend?" I ask as if I'm clueless.

He nods.

"Yes, the same man at the shop, that looked like he wanted to kill me" He responds.

"Mr Coleman, not that it's of any concern to you..." I shrug.

"But that was my big brother, Khaden" I tell him.

He steps back.

"Your brother?" He asks.

I nod.

"The details of the company dinner will be emailed to you later in the day." He says, changing the subject.

"And the assignment?" I ask.

He walks around his desk and then holds up a file for me to take.

"You have three days to edit it to perfection" He says.

I nod.

"Yes sir" I respond, before leaving his office.

I go and sit down at my desk, contemplating what just happened.

I told him that Khaden is my brother and he looked...

Relieved?

I know I'm not imagining the attraction between my boss and I...

But I have to ignore it!

I can't fall for my boss!

And I'm sure as hell that he can't fall for me!

————————————————————
Hey all!

Did you like this one?

Tell me what you think in the comments.

~ Xo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 58.3K 50
Needs to be heavily edited lmao Now, I'm alone with the beast . He stares into my soul causing me to gulp. "You're going to do something for me." He...
649K 16.5K 34
"We're not supposed to be doing this Sebastian..." Sebastian pulled me closer to him not looking away from my forest green eyes. "You and I both kno...
3.9K 40 2
S I B U S I S I W E. Born from poverty die rich , the place where you come from and where you were born should be the motivation of your future that...
5.1M 218K 41
[COMPLETED] "You're so beautiful." He whispers, his thumb brushing against my bottom lip. "It's a shame you won't be so much when I'm finished with y...