bnc | lookism.

By tsunaroshi

Choi Chae Eun missed half of her freshman year-around the time Park Daniel came into the picture and changed... More

1 × a rare connection
3 × you seem different
4 × girls stick together
5 × thank-yous
6 × how should i say this?
7 × gift hunting
8 × patches and tickets
9 × past, present
10 × i'll be okay
11 × out of luck

2 × oh, it's you

2.2K 92 3
By tsunaroshi

Chae Eun did not miss J High a bit. That school was a nightmare and the only thing anchoring her to that place was her friends. She had the chance to get away from that school but here she is now, standing in front of the campus, looking as every bit as pissed off. It's going to be so much worse inside.

She was absent for the whole second semester last year, having been away abroad, and so she missed half her freshman year. Not that it's a loss but she also missed a chunk of time with her friends. That's the only downside at that. And now she's a sophomore and she can't imagine the horrors this school year would bring.

Whispers and murmurs followed her on the corridor on her way to the classroom. This irked her so much that she full-on glared at every person she made eye contact with. "This school just brings out the worst in me." She was usually fine outside of school, some may even say she's nice, but she had this scary reputation in campus. And goddamn does she have to keep it. It's the only thing keeping people at bay and that was fine enough for her.

Why do you hate school? Her friends had asked. "Why?" Chae Eun had scoffed. "Why, it's because this God forsaken school isn't doing it's supposed job of teaching its students!" She was livid. And no one dared to ask her that question again.

But she guessed this is what she gets for enrolling in a vocational school. Then again, this school weren't teaching students the skills of their respective proposed departments. That's what bugs her the most. Chae Eun, tough as she may be seen by others, valued education above else. Unlike the students of J High, she wished to go to college. She still has a chance but she could feel the opportunity drifting out of her reach as she continue to stay at this school. She was becoming lazy, she can feel it gnawing at her. And she may succumb to it if she doesn't get out of there.

Chae Eun reached the classroom and brashly slid the door open, startling the people inside.

"It's Chae Eun!" The Architecture department left their places and swarmed the only girl in their class who was standing by the door. She was finally back.

She braced herself for the impact but it didn't come. Eun Tae appeared before her, holding out a chocolate drink. "Good to have you back, Chae Eun." She gingerly took the drink. And just like that, her annoyance from earlier disappeared.

"I missed you, guys!" Chae Eun threw herself at the guys, and the room was filled with cries of joy.

Zack Lee had made it a habit to take a nap whenever he arrived at school, especially if Mira still wasn't in the room yet. But he can't seem to find the peace and quiet he was accustomed to these past few months today because something was causing noise. Or rather someones.

"Goddammit!" Zack pounded a fist at his table, clearly irritated. "Where is that damn noise coming from?"

Daniel startled at his seatmate. Zack's at it again with his temper, and so early in the morning. He tried to console him, wearing a sheepish smile, but he got shrugged off. This was basically their friendship.

"It's the Architecture department." Someone from the class spoke up.

Both Daniel and Zack raised a questioning brow. "Vasco's department?" Daniel found himself saying.

"Aren't those guys typically the more reserved ones? With them being intimidating and all." A girl at the front of the room piped up.

"Haven't you heard? The pretty girl of the Architecture department is back."

A girl? Daniel was sure that the Architecture department were all guys. How can that be then? Maybe a transfer?

"She's not even that pretty." Some girls were murmuring at one corner.

Suddenly almost all the guys in the room chimed in. "That's the thing! She's not the type to put on make-up and dress up and still, she's pretty. Imagine how prettier she'll be once she does." They all had dreamy faces all of a sudden.

Now the girls in the class were violently throwing words at the guys and an exchange of loud shouts and raised fists ensued.

"She's mean! How can someone be that bitchy?"

"That's her appeal! And also, speak for yourselves!"

Daniel heard Zack groaned from beside him. "I just want to get some sleep, for fuck's sake." Zack slumped his head to his table.

"Hey, do you know who they're talking about?" Daniel took a shot and asked Zack.

"Some chick who ditched the second semester last school year to go abroad." came Zack's muffled reply. "And also, don't talk to me."

I transferred in the second semester. That's why I don't know of her. Should he check it out?

The noise from the Architecture department room was not dying down and Zack was about near of losing it. He sat up, a dark look settled over his face. "Someone tell those punks before I come in there with fists raised."

"But they'll beat you up, Zack." Someone said.

Zack twitched. Good thing Mira wasn't there yet. "Hey, who said that?!"

Daniel rested an arm on Zack's shoulder, calming him down. "I'll go talk to Vasco, okay? So jus-" He stopped when he saw Jay rose from his seat and headed outside. Where's he going?

"That Jay is going to get beat up," Zack said and shrugged, going back to burying his head on his desk.

The chatter in the Architecture department wasn't slowing anytime soon. Cha Eun missed this. She was in her element.

"I took great care of this," Jace fished out a jacket from his bag and handed it to Chae Eun. "It missed you, you know."

Fingers gingerly taking the jacket, she beamed at the guys. She clutched her Burn Knuckles jacket close to her chest. "God, I missed wearing this. I'm sorry my mom didn't let me bring it when we left."

"Probably the best thing since we all know how clumsy you are with things. You'd have misplaced that jacket days upon arriving at the States." Eun Tae jabbed at her.

"Well, you're not wrong." Chae Eun grinned. She slipped out the upper fabric of her coveralls and tied it around her waist. She then donned the jacket, the familiar feeling of the leather against her skin warming her. Figuratively and literally, yes, since it's burning hot this summer. But she endured. This was her second skin.

Eun Tae smiled warmly at the sight of Chae Eun. He did missed her. "I'll just remind you that we can't wear that in school, in case you forgot." He put out his hand out to her, as if asking her to hand the jacket to him. Chae Eun chuckled and playfully stuck a tongue out at him. "You and your dress code. Such an abiding student." Eun Tae gave her a knowing look. "Fine, fine. I'll take it off once the bell ring."

There came a knock on the door. A knock? Who knocks on classrooms?

"Who is that? A teacher?"

Jace strode to the door and slid it open. A tall blonde figure emerged from the other side. Isn't this guy from the fashion department? He then remembered. Right. He's friends with Chae Eun too. "Looks like you have a visitor, Chae Eun."

"I have a what?" Chae Eun turned to the door. Jace stepped aside to reveal Jay. "Oh. Uh..." She hopped down the table she was sitting on and walked towards the doorway. She clapped Jace on the shoulder on the way out of the room and slid door shut behind her.

As soon as Chae Eun left the room, the guys started murmuring to themselves.

"Does she know that guy?"

"Jaeyol Hong from the Fashion department?"

"Yeah, the quiet blonde guy."

Jace went back to his place beside Eun Tae. He caught his childhood best friend squinting at the door, as if he suddenly had x-ray vision and can see through the wood.

"What does he want?" Eun Tae asked.

Jace shrugged. "Didn't say. But even if he did, I sure as hell wouldn't understand him. That kid's weird."

Eun Tae's squint found him. "Don't say that. He's just not that talkative, that's all."

"I thought you didn't like the guy?"

"I didn't say that. I just said there's something about him that I couldn't point out." Jaeyol Hong was a puzzle Eun Tae couldn't quite put together. But then again, he wasn't that good at puzzles so maybe there's that. "But he keeps to himself and he doesn't start any trouble so he's cool. And he's Chae Eun's friend."

There are seldom times where Jay would speak in school. He tries to avoid talking as much as he can. But since Daniel's arrival, that refusal at talking was becoming less and less often. "Welcome back." He said to Chae Eun.

"Sorry I didn't call you first thing when I got back." Maybe she shouldn't tell him that she's been back in Korea for over a week now. "How are you, though? How's Joy?"

"I could've picked you up at the airport." Jay did say that he would when she said that she would be coming back to the country soon.

Chae Eun smiled sheepishly. "I uh... I couldn't impose. That's not your job anyway. I mean, not that you have any job or obligation to me or anything-"

"I hope you don't see this friendship of ours as just convenience," Jay cut her off. "Because I don't." They did meet at a convenient circumstance but he genuinely wanted to be friends with her. He could really use one. Daniel came into mind immediately and he smiled to himself.

Chae Eun was surprised by the statement. "How can you even say that, of course I don't!" She couldn't exactly observe the emotions on Jay's face because of those damned bangs. "Come on now, don't get upset. We're friends because," How are they friends, exactly? Where are they, friendship wise? "Well, we're friends! Don't overthink it, silly." She punched him lightly on the shoulder, hoping that they were at least on that level. Jay didn't even budged.

Before Jay could say another word, someone had shouted his name from the other side of the corridor.

"Jay!" Daniel called out to him, making both Jay and the girl he was talking to turn their heads towards him. Daniel startled on his feet. That's the girl from the convenience store! What is she doing here at J High? Does she really go in here?

He observed her clothes, the gray coveralls of the Architecture department and a leather jacket, and confirmed it. Isn't that a Burn Knuckles jacket? Daniel involuntary shuddered. He didn't thought she was a thug. Well, not exactly a thug because people from the Burn Knuckles aren't the type to pick up fights. But still. She must be someone really tough. He couldn't have imagined it. She was just so nice and warm the night before at the store.

"Found yourself another friend, huh?" Chae Eun eyed the tall figure at the other end of the hallway who stood frozen. The guy wasn't familiar to her. A new face at J High. "A transfer?"

Jay nodded, a smile instinctively landing on his lips. "His name's Daniel."

Daniel's gaze was beginning to bother Chae Eun. What's he gawking at? "And you need to get back to this Daniel because I think he's planted himself to the floor." The guy wasn't moving a muscle and just stood there, in the middle of the hallway. "Go, go. I'll catch you at lunch." She nudged at his shoulder again and waved at him as she enter back in the room.

Jay didn't end up saying what he wanted to say to Chae Eun. He turned to Daniel and was surprised by the expression on him. Does he know Chae Eun perhaps?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.2K 1.2K 17
A girl, reading her favourite webtoon from her phone, was suddenly struck by lightning while she was asleep. She woke up finding out she was in a dif...
905 36 20
editing... not a ship btw!! idk what to put here. basically vasco and jace are on summer break and then a lot of bad things happen. ik the blurb is...
105 2 8
After four years of drowning herself into her studies, Park Yoojin decides she'll live her college years to the fullest. No regrets and no looking b...
12.7K 874 44
After a terrible freshman year, Ally moves for two years and returns to her old high school to finish her senior year as Brooke and maybe face her fe...