6 × how should i say this?

It was days before Zack extracted from Mira what happened that night with Chae Eun. He threw a fit, that much was a given. He couldn't just ignore the what-ifs that was projecting in his mind and he was scared and angry at the same time. An earful was due and then Zack was demanding to meet up with Chae Eun.

Mira was reluctant at first. You never know with Zack what he might do and she didn't want to drag Chae Eun in. But he convinced her that he was only just going to thank her and Mira considered it. She ended up setting a meeting between the two.

"If you cause a scene, I'm pulling you out immediately."

"Stop fussing. I can do normal human interactions."

Chae Eun was confused to say the least when Mira told her that that friend of hers from lunch wanted to talk to her. They didn't even interact that time at the table, though the guy was shooting her occasional glances. This was way too many interactions with schoolmates than she planned to have this year.

Zack was quick to thank Chae Eun the moment they were alone—he had to chase Mira away because she won't let the two of them out of her sights.

"I'm going to be frank with you, I don't like being indebted to anyone." That may actually be the thing he hates the most. "But what you did for Mira, it's not something I can easily repay, no matter how delicious Mira's lunchbox was."

And here we go again. Chae Eun outright groaned. This is getting ridiculous at this point. "Look, Mira doesn't owe me anything and neither do you. You're acting like I saved the country for you to repay me anything other than words. I told Mira this and I'm telling you now: a simple thank you is enough."

"Not to me." Zack has been losing sleep thinking about what would've happened to Mira if this girl hadn't intervened. There were two incidents imprinted in his mind where he almost lost Mira. He fought tooth and nail to save her both times. But he wasn't even aware that Mira was in danger the night she crossed paths with this girl. And he was nowhere near the place. So how exactly was he supposed to save her that time? "Just let me do this and you'll be helping me sleep better at night."

She can't think of any way to back this guy down so Chae Eun held up her hand, sighing. "This is a battle I can't see myself winning so," She shrugged. "What do you have in mind?"

"A favor. Do with it whatever you like, I won't ask any questions. You call, I answer. Seems like a fair deal?"

This was starting to look like a business transaction and Chae Eun almost laughed at the stoic look on Zack's face. This guy is serious. With a personality like that, there's no doubt he is. Chae Eun decided to bite into it.

"You'll do anything?"

"Hey, don't get any funny ideas. I'm only loyal to Mira."

At this, Chae Eun laughed out loud. The awkward tension between them started dissipating. "You really are something. All right, I'll humor you and take this favor of yours."

He was reluctant to admit that he was easing into her. Zack had never really diverted any of his energy and attention towards any woman besides Mira. He wasn't even entertaining any proposal of friendship from anyone else. But for some reason he can see himself being friends with this girl. Mira's a huge factor in this—if not the only one—but he feels like he can trust Chae Eun to protect his best friend in his stead.

"I wouldn't have let you leave if you didn't." Zack tried to sound rough to mask what he's thinking—as if he's really able to project his true emotions if he tried. A scowl was always he's go-to expression.

"Okay, that sounds like a threat." Chae Eun can't imagine handling someone this aggressive. She'd have to give props to Mira. "I'll get myself out of your way now then, if that's all. There'll be no refusing you so I'll hold onto the favor." She pushed past him and into the hallway.