11 × out of luck

The first thing that Chae Eun did when the sun peeked out from the sky was text Jace about last night's events. And after her phonecall with Eun Tae earlier, she texted him Jay's building address. Soon enough, both boys were outside of the unit door.

"Hey, guys—" She was attacked with a four-armed hug. The boys were squeezing a little too tight and Chae Eun was choking. "W-wait...I can't b-b—"

After they let go, very reluctantly at that, Jace attacked her face, holding it roughly but at the same time delicately as he tilt it from side to side. "Are you okay? Have you been crying? You should've called us right away!" He pulled her in for another hug. "Right, Vasco? She should've called us first thing!"

Chae Eun peered at Eun Tae over Jace's shoulder. His jaw was clenched tight as he looked down at her. She noted the soft way he was gazing at her, despite his taut expression and stiff stance, and knew they we're okay. She offered a hand towards him and he took it in a heartbeat, giving it a firm squeeze. I'm right here, his eyes seemed to be saying. Chae Eun mouthed a 'thank you'.

"Alright, let her breathe, Jace." Eun Tae pried him away.

Eun Mi was busying herself setting up the table for breakfast when she heard voices from the living room—familiar loud ones at that. Lips curling up, she finished the table and strode towards the chatter.

"Good morning, boys. Chae Eun didn't mention you were coming this early in the morning."

Both Eun Tae and Jace turned to the greeting. They perked up. "Mother!" They abandoned Chae Eun without prompt and excitedly flanked Eun Mi. She rolled her eyes but she was laughing after. "And here I thought you came over to comfort me."

Jay eventually joined them at the living room and greeted the Architecture department boys.  Right off the bat, Eun Tae and Jace thanked him for taking Chae Eun and her mother in—Eun Tae more than most as he caught Jay in a tight embrace to show how much thankful he was. The blonde laughed good-naturedly, caught off guard with the show of affection, and pat him awkwardly on the back. He then invited the two to join them at breakfast.

Other than fetching Chae Eun for school, Eun Tae has another reason for coming directly to Jay's. He took Eun Mi's hands in his, an intensity that the woman recognized all too well from his childhood. "I've already talked to my mom and she said that you're welcome to stay at our place anytime."

Eun Mi remembered when the boy in front of her barely reached her shoulder—now he was towering over her. But that smile on his face was exactly the same as it was years ago. She looked over Eun Tae's shoulder to gaze at Jace who was talking with her daughter. The boy got taller too and his ears underwent the same growth spurt. Eun Mi smiled at the boys she practically watched grew up.

"Oh, thank you, Eun Tae. But I couldn't—"

"She insists that you come," He tugged at their twined hands and said in a solemn voice, "You don't need to worry anymore."

She smiled up at him. "Honey, there's really no need. But all right, I'll go by your place later."

Once Eun Tae explained the proposal to Chae Eun, they bid their goodbye to her mother. "I'll see you at Eun Tae's place?"

Eun Mi planted a sloppy kiss on her daughter's cheek, with the latter rolling her eyes, earning a laugh from the boys. "Take care, all of you!"

It's been about an hour since Daniel arrived at school—that's two hours away from the first class of the day. He was shifting on his feet, unsure of what stance he'd take. He felt nervous. Why did he felt nervous? The asking part is over and done with, I'm just giving her the tickets. But that didn't made the prospect any less nerve-racking.