4 × girls stick together

Night breeds a different kind of trouble. And it's the kind that women deal with almost every single day of their lives. But rather than experience it tonight, Chae Eun was witnessing it. Didn't make her feel better not being on the receiving end though.

She kept coming back to town these days, attracted to bookstores and coffee shops that certainly weren't there last year whenever she visited. She was coming out of a comic bookstore when she saw a group of men surrounding a girl at one side of the sidewalk. The guys weren't even trying to be discreet with their harassment. The girl evidently looked uncomfortable.

It was seconds before the face of the girl clicked in Chae Eun.  That girl goes to J High. She's in the Vocal—no, it's the Fashion department. The one who always have a mean-looking guy on her tail. Eun Tae had mentioned her the other day. Mina? Mira? Maya? She wasn't really good with names.

This wouldn't be the first time Chae Eun had interfered with this type of incident. She'd learn that violence isn't always the best weapon to choose from and it just posed a danger not only to her but to the person she was trying to save. Causing a scene was the last thing the girl wants, Chae Eun can see that, and so she approached them with a plan at hand. And if all else fails, she's always good with veiled threats.

These were one of the few moments where Mira regretted not bringing Zack along. Sure, the guy's too much to handle but who better to handle him than her? Not that she takes pride in reigning Zack in, she just likes the idea of her best friend being more than just a thug who punches anyone who breathes too loudly in his direction.

"If you're going out, you call me, okay? I don't need explanations or excuses. One foot out of the house and you let me know."

Mira knows she can take care of herself. Growing up with two boxer friends, and doing the sport herself, she had brought a lesson or two from it into her everyday life. The only problem with it is that she doesn't like senseless violence. If everything can be settled peacefully, she'd take that route. And so, with forced calm and repressed irritation, she tried again.

"My boyfriend just went away and bought something. He'll be back any minute now. I really don't want any trouble and he will beat you all up if he saw you here with me."

The guy in the middle seem unfazed and just scoffed. "We know you're here alone. We've been eyeing you in the coffee shop earlier."

"Come on, just one drink. Don't play hard to get now." A hand reached out to touch her on the arm and Mira quickly stepped back. The guy looked offended and it scared her a bit. Carefully, she positioned her bag in front of her and waited for a window to run. It's the only thing she can do now. She planted her heel firmly on the ground and was about to dash towards the guys when someone approached them.

"Oh my, I almost didn't see you there!" A girl walked up to where they were standing on the sidewalk and flocked to Mira's side. "My brother said you and him we're going out tonight. I didn't know it was around here too. So good to see you, though! Where is he, by the way?"

Chae Eun was being overenthusiastic in this role of hers but this can make her act more convincing. She turned her gaze to the group of men in front of them who each have an irritated look on their faces. Four guys. I can still take them if worst comes to worst. She raised an eyebrow, looking skeptical. "Who are they?"

"Oh, they were just—uh asking for directions."

"They should be on their way now then," Chae Eun flashed them a sardonic smile. If she was a guy, that should've done its job and these guys would be walking away. If she was a guy.

One guy stepped forward and looked Chae Eun from head to toe. It made her knuckles itch. "We know damn well she's alone. And looks like you are too. Should've just asked nicely if you wanted to join us. We could use another girl."