10 × i'll be okay

The puppies welcomed Chae Eun and her mother into the apartment. After receiving the call, Jay immediately fetched his keys for his motorcycle and marched for the door. That was the first time he heard her sound like that. Chae Eun didn't give any more details expect that she was in need for a place to stay for the night. Jay didn't hesitate to mention that his house always has a room for her.

Then Mr. Kim reminded him of the fact that there were two people that he was going to pick up and a motorcycle ride wouldn't be ideal for it. The older man offered to pick up the mother and daughter. Jay eventually conceded.

"I'm really sorry to bother you at this time of night." Chae Eun greeted Jay with an apology. For a brief moment while waiting for the car Jay sent for them, Chae Eun had a change of heart. They hadn't known each other very long but the boy had always been kind to her. But asking for a place to stay would be abusing that kindness and she wouldn't have that. She then received a text from Jay.

"You can talk to me if you want once you get here. Even just to listen."

Chae Eun didn't know Jay had four dogs. He mentioned he had dogs but she just assumed he meant two. Her eyes glazed as Jay stepped aside and the litter charged at her. She and Eun Tae shared a love for these adorable furballs. She forgot for a moment their situation and crouched down to pet the dogs. Eun Mi looked on her daughter, the twinkle in her eyes a breathe of fresh air in tonight's happenings. She then turn to the blonde boy and greeted him with a smile.

"What my daughter really wants to say is thank you. We'll try not to be too much of a burden to you tonight." Eun Mi bowed her head in gratitude.

"You can stay as long you need to, Mrs. Jeong."

Dinner was waiting for the mother and daughter, with Jay joining them in dining. They were silent all throughout the meal but it was surprisingly comfortable. When they finished, their host showed them to their rooms. Jay gave the guest room to Mrs. Jeong and he guided Chae Eun to Joy's room. His sister's room seldom has an occupant in it because Joy's still living with their parents, her just occasionally visiting Jay.

"I can sleep on the couch, really. I couldn't impose." Chae Eun was being pushed inside Joy's room by Jay but she was resisting at the doorframe. "As long as my mom sleeps okay, I can just—"

"Chae Eun, you're my guest." There was finality in Jay's voice that left no room for objections. "Accommodating you is my job."

She pursed her lips, the fight in her dying down with his stern yet soft voice. Without noticing it, she'd surrounded herself with kind people. She felt like she didn't deserve any of the kindness she'd been receiving from that point on. "I..." Chae Eun started but she let the protest hang. "Thank you, Jay."

The sincerity and genuineness in her words made Jay smile. "Get a good night's sleep. We'll talk more tomorrow if you want."

Chae Eun tried, she really did, but sleep didn't seem like it'll be visiting her tonight. There was just so much in her mind that it's all blurring together and the muddy thoughts was keeping her up. She doesn't like sleeping with something bothering her—she simply can't.

At about 2 am, she finally gave up on sleep and slipped out of the room. The whole unit was quiet and Chae tiptoed to the living room, careful not to make any noise. The sight before her garnered a soft gasp from her. Jay lived in the busy part of the city and his building was in the heart of it. The city's nightlife was on full display on the floor-to-ceiling windows. It was mesmerizing and Chae Eun was now certain that she's not going to sleep tonight.

She situated herself on the lounging couch by the window walls, her eyes fully reflecting the lights from the myriad of buildings outside. The spacious couch reeled her mind to think about her best friends and how much they'll love the view before her. Maybe she should call them up and let them know what happened.