July Raine

By louloufritz

At Sixteen, Melonie fell in love with Rainey when they spent a summer together. They had no hope of ever maki... More

July Raine ( Prologue)
Mommy, My name is Raine.
So, how does this work?
I always keep my promises
Looking back, Looking forward
Living life on a roller coaster.
The Truth..in all its glory
Bubble Baths and Fresh Air
The Family...
Do You Like to Run?
An Easy Run...
Skittles
OMG
Jumping In
Let the Good Time Roll.. Yeah Right!
Tell it like it is...
Distance
July
Explain Yourself
Back to July
Not our first rodeo
The Morning After
Prelude to a Date
Fear and loving in Tahoe
Great Expectations
Red High Heals
Surprise!
Will we say I do?
Polar Opposites
Come together.. Right now...
It's a great day
For a white wedding.
That Ship has Sailed
Going to the Chapel of Love
Looks like we made it.
Epilogue (Look How Far We've Come)
Author's Note IMPORTANT
Preview to The July Moon
The July Moon

Superman!

2.1K 69 3
By louloufritz

*** As always unedited!

You ever been in one of those moments where things were so awkward you really didn't know what to say. Well, I hadn't, at least not until that moment. I didn't know what to say to Annika or Maddy.  Maddy was holding Titus and he and Annika were talking so casually. They were laughing and having pleasant conversation and I was just standing there like a bump on a log.

It wasn't like I could show my interest towards Maddy. That would only make things even more awkward and very inappropriate considering everyone one's situation.I just sat and watched as Maddy and Annika talk. If you didn't know any better you would have thought that they were still a couple. They seemed to get a long so well, it didn't really  make sense why they split.

As they talked I considered heading back towards the cabins, not just to get away from this situation but because I wasn't so comfortable after putting my clothes back on over my wet under garmets.

I pulled the ponytail out of my hair and leaned to the side and rang out my hair before pulling it back into a high pony probably making me look like a hot mess. But come to think of it, I might actually look better than I did when I was sweating like crazy.

I considered taking off but that wasn't going to happen because at that moment Annika turned to me and decided to speak to me, which kind of surprised me. 

"So how do you know Maddy?"

I wasn't really sure what to start, or even what to say, so naturally I said. " Its a long a story. I just met Maddy a few days ago through Rainey.  Rainey is the father of my daughter."

After those words left my mouth, she looked more shocked than Rainey did whenever I told him that he was a father.  I mean what was the big deal. People have kids all the time. Why was it such a big deal for Rainey.

"Wow, that is insane. I never thought that Rainey would be a dad. He always said he never wanted kids."

I was really taken back by what she said, and it really cut deep. Rainey never wanted kids. I would have never known that by the way he has been acting with July. Was this going to be a short lived interest since he never had any intentions to have children and July was just a slip up. It really kind of made me mad what she said. Not that it was her fault that Rainey didn't want kids. She seemed as though it didn't phase here to say something that could potentially be hurtful to me, as well as July.  Thank goodness July was no where around to hear her say that.

I just nodded my head and glanced over Maddy who apparently didn't like what Annika said either and he was quick to speak up.

"I'm sure he'd never say that now that he knows about July."

I was glad when Titus piped in. "Daddy, can we play SUPERMAN!?"

Maddy chuckled and his eyes lit up as he looked at Titus. " Maybe in a bit buddy, we've got to you all settled in first." Maddy put Titus down, and told him to go play on the swings. Titus jumped up and down and kept saying. "But I wanna play SUPERMAN!!!"

Maddy got down on his level. " Buddy we will play superman later, but right now I need you to obey daddy."

Titus hugged Maddy's neck. " Yes, Daddy."

After Titus ran off Maddy turned to Annika and spoke to her.  "Can he stay in my cabin tonight?"

She smiled at him. " I was thinking maybe you could stay with us in our cabin." 

From what she said it seemed as maybe a little more going on than what Maddy had told me about them. The thought of this brought knots in my stomach.

"I don't really think that is a good idea. It doesn't really send the right message to Titus."

I kind of felt as if that was my cue to head back towards the cabin. I didn't really want to get into the middle of something and it seemed as if  I stayed any longer than I would be right in the middle and probably find out things that I did not want to find out.

"Hey Maddy, I think I'm going to head back to the cabin to check on July."

He turned his head to the side as if confused. "Give me a minute and I'll head back with you."

"Its really okay, I can walk myself back. Y'all probably need to talk."

Annika was quick to voice her opinion. "Yeah Maddy, don't we need to talk."

"There is nothing to talk about. I'll be back to get Titus. Have him ready to spend the night with me."  I was surprised that he did ask, he just told.

"You know I didn't have to bring him early Maddy."

He looked flustered at her. " I know you didn't and thank you for doing that, but now is not the time nor place for you start whatever you are trying to start. I'm here with my friend Melonie and she doesn't need to be in the middle of anything."

I wasn't sure but under her breath, I could have sworn that she said 'your friend right'. She rolled her eyes.

He just shook his head and called for Titus, who immediately came barreling down the dock.  He had both hands out in front of him with his head tilted downward. He was in a classic Superman pose that was pretty darn cute. When he reached Maddy he spun around and stopped abruptly.  He pulled out a pair of glasses out of his pocket and put them on.

Maddy smiled and said, "Well superman, daddy will be back in a bit to pick you up to stay the night."

"Superman? My name is Clark Kent. Who is the superman you speak of?"

In that moment we all laughed and the mood was lightened. Kids have a tendency to do that sometimes.

Maddy sat down and pulled Titus into a hug. " I have miss you so much."

"I miss you all the time daddy. I wish we lived in the same city."  he said in such a sweet but sad voice.

" I know me too buddy. Give me a kiss. I'll see you in a bit."

He gave Maddy a kiss on his lips and then hugged back into him a bit. It really broke my heart. How could things in life be so complicated. What kind of mess was I getting into right now by starting something with Maddy.  My life was a mess and apparently his was just as complicated as mine. Now was probably not the best time to be thinking about trying to start something, especially with a guy I'd just met.

But the connection that Maddy and I was undeniable. It was a kind of connection that I hadn't felt with any guy that I've 'dated'.  The guys I have 'dated'  were just guys to pass the time.  My friend Daisy keeps setting me up with the most random people. She knows I'm lonely but she has no idea what the lonely really means. She is always with a different guy nearly every weekend. I had really never understood that concept. How can anyone find true happiness when they are jumping from bed to bed. I loved Daisy but I don't always agree with her lifestyle choices.

"Melonie."

"Melonie."

I suddenly snapped out of my thoughts. "Yeah."

"You ready?"

He stood up with Titus still in his arms. He kissed Titus all over and then put him down.  " See you in a bit buddy."

He walked to Annika and grabbed a hold on her hand. "Lets go Mommy, I'm hungry." 

"Okay T, lets go."

They began to walk away and she turned to Maddy. " This isn't over, we'll talk later."

Maddy just shook his head and she turned and walked away with Titus.

We didn't speak as we watched her walk away. When she was gone, Maddy turned to me and hugged me. It was one of those I need comfort hugs, to me it said I need you. Maybe Maddy and I needed each other. We hugged for several minutes and then he pulled away. 

"Maybe we should head back, this is not how I planned for this day to go. I'm sorry about Annika."

"It is okay, I'm just glad that you got to be with Titus."

"Me too. Could we be any more complicated?" It was as if he was reading my mind.

" Do you think we should stop this before someone gets hurt?"

"My brain is telling me yes."

"Mine too."

He let out a sigh, " So what are we going to do?"I

"I don't know I'm so frustrated. I just met you, what is wrong with me."

"Hey this goes both ways you know. Do you really think that I don't think that this crazy."

"So, if I think it is crazy and you think it is crazy then why are we even doing this? We are just adding complicated to something that is already complicated enough." I laid my forehead against his chest.

"Lets just roll with it. Laissez les bon temps rouler."

"Huh?"

"Let the good times roll. I have a friend who is from Louisiana, he taught me a little french."

I just giggled. "Lets go back to the cabin."

"Okay" He grabbed my hand and we began to walk.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

342K 9.5K 83
"How many romance books do you read?" Devin asks me. I shrug. "I like them," I say. I keep browsing, running my fingers along the spines. "...
136K 4K 19
❝That's the thing about love. It isn't going to be easy, it isn't going to be smooth, but it's going to be worth it. Because sometimes you have to ta...
87.8K 5.4K 90
Book #5 What happens when you meet your soulmate? Oh wait, that's too easy, let me ask it again. What do you do when you meet your soulmate and kn...
98.9K 3.1K 34
"Love can be a cure, but also a curse. I know it too well, trust me." ><><><><><><>< Evangeline was trying...